41% (41)
41% (41)
no
56% (56)
56% (56)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Should I buy Black Ops?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I'm sitting on the fence so hard it hurts. At first I wasn't gonna get it not because I'm a hater but because I felt like I had enough of COD. I played MW2 religously from its release until mid october. So I lay my question upon the peanut gallery should I buy this game. Half of me wants it bad the other half thinks the half that wants it is going through a phase and should save its money.

Buy Timesplitters 2 and atone for your FPS sins.

well if you enjoyed mw2 you might enjoy it. i personally never bought mw2 since i looked at it and thought it was no where near as good as cod4 but i would at least wait till it goes down in price or try to pick it up second hand somewhere

I pre-ordered my copy off Steam and have found it unplayable due to a terrible frame-rate, audio issues and frequent crashes.

Apparently I am not alone in this, with the forums alive with people experiencing the same issues. Something to do with poor scripting.

I'd wait for a patch if I were you.

I, however, am in the Process of getting a refund.

One word.

Zombies.

That is all. :D

Do what Pirate Kitty said if you're getting it on PC, but if you have a console, I heard it's better than MW2 (which I brutally hated) so I'm not sure. Sit on the fence some more.

granted the zombie mode would be great but im of the idea of sitting on the fence until new a better reviews come out and you hear from your friends if its worth it. or even just rent it.

If you played MW2 religiously, then you would probably enjoy Black Ops.

While I never had a chance with the campaign, the multiplayer is far superior and fun compared to MW2.

Pirate Kitty:
I pre-ordered my copy off Steam and have found it unplayable due to a terrible frame-rate, audio issues and frequent crashes.

Apparently I am not alone in this, with the forums alive with people experiencing the same issues. Something to do with poor scripting.

You can't get a refund unless the game was in pre-order state, last time I checked and the game will probably be fixed.

In this sort of a situation, there is always one very, very easily solution: rent it, and see if you like it or not.

Apparently, the development budget was spent on the 360 version, and the other versions was simply put through the Port-O-Matic and farted out. Unless you have a 360, stay well away. (And even if you have a 360, I'd still not touch it with a bargepole when you have the likes of Vanquish on the shelves).

Delusibeta:
Apparently, the development budget was spent on the 360 version, and the other versions was simply put through the Port-O-Matic. Unless you have a 360, stay well away. (And even if you have a 360, I'd still not touch it with a bargepole when you have the likes of Vanquish on the shelves).

The PS3 version is perfectly fine...

So far, I definitely think it's worth getting. Not nearly as annoying online as MW2, and the new zombies maps are great.
The economy system online is great too. The game reminds me more of MW1 and WaW than of MW2. But it's still too soon to tell whether it's as broken as MW2.

Korten12:

Delusibeta:
Apparently, the development budget was spent on the 360 version, and the other versions was simply put through the Port-O-Matic. Unless you have a 360, stay well away. (And even if you have a 360, I'd still not touch it with a bargepole when you have the likes of Vanquish on the shelves).

The PS3 version is perfectly fine...

Still, it's Activision. The PC version was farted out, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Wii version was too. PS3? Ehh, I'm going to assume that it's more buggy than the 360 version (apparently, you can get infinite care packages if you're prepared to glitch on the 360 version at least, probably most formats, so it ain't saying much).

aquaman839:
I'm sitting on the fence so hard it hurts. At first I wasn't gonna get it not because I'm a hater but because I felt like I had enough of COD. I played MW2 religously from its release until mid october. So I lay my question upon the peanut gallery should I buy this game. Half of me wants it bad the other half thinks the half that wants it is going through a phase and should save its money.

If money is a problem and you already have MW2, and you're hesitating about buying it, I suggest the following:

1.) take the $60 (or whatever the price of Black Ops is)
2.) get another $20 or so
3.) buy Valve Complete Pack
4.) ???
5.) Profit!

I'm not really sold on Black Ops. Most CoD games are like "Buy this. In 1 year, buy the same game, but with some improvements".

All the games in the Valve Complete Pack will guarantee you hundreds upon hundreds of hours of fun.

P.S. I'm not hating/flaming, I'm simply adding my 2 cents.

I've actually played it, and I'm happy to say I liked it. It's a lot better than MW2 in almost every way.
Zombie mode, secret games, and a better story. It's still not the best story, but it is better.

I'd suggest renting it so you can try it out.

Just rent it before you get all butthurt.

Korten12:

Pirate Kitty:

You can't get a refund unless the game was in pre-order state, last time I checked and the game will probably be fixed.

They like to say that, but I personally know two people who, in the same boat as me, have been given refunds with no problems -- and those are the only two people I know who have applied for a refund. That's 100% :P

They just don't want to publicly acknowledge it and have people banging down their doors to get refunds.

I don't really care if they fix it. It was broken on release and I refuse to let Activision or Treyarch think it's okay to release a broken game.

It might not be the case for everyone, and I know it isn't, but it is for me, and that isn't good enough. We gotta push for perfection, dang it! We all know the companies are too lazy to do that themselves :P

*sigh*
These kinds of questions should be answered by the asker...
My and my friend thought about not getting it, but decided to pre-order it three months before it's release anyway.
Our plan was to get it, have a good laugh about how bad it might be, and maybe return it.
Well, with every new update Treyarch just made it sound better and better, up until the point where we couldn't wait for its release.
So we go out and buy it today, and both get online after school lets out, and it's leagues better than Modern Warfare 2.
I'm saying this in terms of execution, since MW2 had great concepts, they were just executed horribly...
Anyway, if you liked MW2, or Cod4 for that matter, then you'll most likely enjoy Black Ops...
It seems much more balanced. I have to log more game hours tomorrow, but first impressions were good for me.
All the edits, changes, balancing, etc seem to have worked for day one...
Plus that it has splitscreen co-op campaign, splitscreen online play, and splitscreen zombies.
That just makes it all the better...
So yeah, my vote would lean towards the "buy" option, although it's still fully up to you mate...

Rewdalf:
*sigh*
My and my friend thought about not getting it, but decided to pre-order it three months before it's release anyway.
Our plan was to get it, have a good laugh about how bad it might be, and maybe return it.
Well, with every new update Treyarch just made it sound better and better, up until the point where we couldn't wait for its release.
So we go out and buy it today, and both get online after school lets out, and it's leagues better than Moder Warfare 2.
I'm saying this in terms of execution, since MW2 had great concepts, they were just executed horribly...
Anyway, if you liked MW2, or Cod4 for that matter, then you'll most likely enjoy Black Ops...
It seems much more balanced. I have to log more game hours tomorrow, but first impressions were good for me.
Plus that it has splitscreen co-op campaign, splitscreen online play, and splitscreen zombies.
So yeah, my vote would lean towards the "buy" option, although it's still fully up to you mate...

I don't believe it has Co-op campaign, I believe they said it doesn't.

(also that secret mode, I believe you can unlock normally and play online. You didn't mention that but I thought I would.)

Depends. If you're going to play it on a console, it's worth it. I'd wait a while with the PC, the version I bought is riddled with framerate issues (unrelated to hardware).

EDIT: ninja'd, but I'm leaving this one up for emphasis

Korten12:

Rewdalf:
*sigh*
So we go out and buy it today, and both get online after school lets out, and it's leagues better than Moder Warfare 2.

(also that secret mode, I believe you can unlock normally and play online. You didn't mention that but I thought I would.)

Yes, well I bought it, and on the back of the case it says in orange "co-op 2-4 players" "multiplayer 1-18 players" "zombies 2-4 players".
I know this is co-op because above the orange it has the regular single player variants in green, such as "campaign" and "multiplayer online".
So yes, it has a co-op campaign, much like WaW did, which was also made by Treyarch.

The game is much harder than MW2. It requires skill with the class setups, and there is much less shit to get away with.

If you are good you never relied on= Commando, Danger Close, TAR, SCAR, M16, FAMAS, UMP(Oh god the UMP), relied on shotgun secondaries, Camped with Scavenger Claymores, and other things I cannot think of.

Basically, if you took advantage of the easy mode classes you shouldn't be to excited for this game. All of these guns I mention up here kill in 3 shots. Not one single Common gun will do this in Black ops.

You WILL get your ass handed to you by the actual good players.

I wonder how I will stack up. I was generally good, and I never took advantage of any of the cheapy weapons. Most of my deaths came from the sheer brokeness of the game.

Hosker:
and the new zombies maps are great

Are there multiple maps?

Rewdalf:

Korten12:

Rewdalf:
*sigh*

Yes, well I bought it, and on the back of the case it says in orange "co-op 2-4 players" "multiplayer 1-18 players" "zombies 2-4 players".
I know this is co-op because above the orange it has the regular single player variants in green, such as "campaign" and "multiplayer online".
So yes, it has a co-op campaign, much like WaW did, which was also made by Treyarch.

I know, I also have the game.

That Co-Op refers to the Zombies which is a co-op mode.

http://www.vg247.com/2010/09/13/no-campaign-co-op-for-black-ops-confirms-treyarch/

If you don't want to play it, then that's all you need to know. Besides, you know in a year or less they'll have another one out. So it's not like you'll have to wait long if you want to get a Call of Duty game at launch.

Can I get a poll option for no comment/I don't care?.

aquaman839:

I bought MW2 thinking it was going to be one of the best games I would ever play; Instead I found it to be a a huge steaming piece of crap, this is just my opinion though. Black Ops actually looks like it might be good with a decent campaign and what appears from a distance to be a more balanced multi-player.

Ice Cube does the voice over in multiplayer, its painful to listen to.

My friend got it at midnight release, and is enjoying it immensely. He rates it about 7.5/10, with most problems with MW2 solved, but the new spawn-trap proof system causes hectic situations, and knifing is still glitched. Not Commando Pro bad glitched, but bad enough.

We both agree the game would be 2x better if the knife took 2 hits to kill.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

We both agree the game would be 2x better if the knife took 2 hits to kill.

Every single person online today in every lobby I was in thought the same thing.

The knifing is the fucking scourge of the COD series.

Other than that and the RC Car, the multi is a million times better than MW2.

Depends. If you really like Call of Duty and won't mind some more, then go for it. If you don't want to get it, which is my recommendation, it won't be a huge loss. There'll be another game next year that everybody will be swarming to play multiplayer on.
As far as I'm concerned, Call of Duty's become the new series like Madden. Too much of the same in slightly different packages.

Armored Prayer:
If you played MW2 religiously, then you would probably enjoy Black Ops.

While I never had a chance with the campaign, the multiplayer is far superior and fun compared to MW2.

I disagree, I loved MW2, played it every day till Reach came out. I'm returning Black Ops.

Well Black Ops is a completely different game from MW2. In terms of gameplay it feels a lot like Call of Duty 2 (not to mention that Treyarch actually put some effort into balancing there game). So if you liked Call of Duty 2, then you will really love Black Ops.

How does the SP hold up? I will be honest, the SP for WaW bored me to tears, something about how the enemies respawn, how there's over a bajillion of explosion wherever I go. Hell, even MW2 felt tame compared to WaW, at least to my experience.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked