What exactly is so special about the CD: Black Ops multiplayer?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

I got Black Ops 3 days ago and I just finished the single player and am now playing around with the multiplayer, however I am already bored with it.

I just don't get it what is suppose to be so awesome about the multiplayer in Black Ops. Please note that I did not play Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer nor the multiplayer in any of the earlier CD games so I can't compare it to those games.

Anyways, seeing as everyone has been talking about how awesome the multiplayer in Black Ops would be I can't help but feel a little baffled. Don't get me wrong, the multiplayer is easily above average with the ability to create and customize your own classes and whatnot, but the actual fun factor during play left me bored after a few hours, largely because I never got the impression I wasn't playing something I had not already done before in other games.

Yea, you got those kill streaks that give you access to special weapons which can spice things up a bit, but it still wasn't enough to hold my attention for more then just a few hours. There are a fairly impressive number of game modes, but again nothing I had not already played a million times before in other games with the possible exception of the wager matches which I admit are fun, but again they weren't able to hold my attention for more then just a few hours before they started to bore me.

What is it about the multiplayer that has gotten so much praise from the gaming community? As far as I can see its just more of the same of what you have already played a million times in other games but with customizable classes and a few new tricks. Don't get me wrong when I say that, I have already said that I found the multiplayer fun and above average, its just that I don't get the whole "ZOMG BLACK OPS HAS ZHE BEST MULTIPLAYER EVA!!!!" claims I heard flying all around the place prior to buying the game.

What makes the multiplayer so good that it has gotten this much praise?

Discuss.

People enjoy repetition and simplicity, and popularity sells.

Because it's overly popular and all the people who play it and nothing else have nothing to compare to.

They are trying to sell themselves on the fact that the game was worth the 60 dollars they wasted on it. Have you ever had to sell yourself on something that in the back of your mind you know wasn't the best decision but you had to live with it, so you told yourself it was the right choice?

Palademon:
Because it's overly popular and all the people who play it and nothing else have nothing to compare to.

Why? I doubt that 90% of Black Ops players have never played any other games in their life's.

Opinions are fun.

I've been asking the same question since CoD4, which dispite what CoD elitists insist was just as bland and broken as WaW, MW2, and now Black Ops. Frankly I don't see it. You run around and shoot stuff, objectives are pointless, there's nothing even resembling teamwork, and the game is horribly imbalanced and just plain broken.

I think its fun.
I prefer Bad Company 2s multiplayer
But I find it fun.
People have different opinions.

Ye Gods! Yea I bought this game for 60 bucks and it'll be the last time i let hype get in the way of what i buy. I had more fun with World at War. And yes I get new stuff but I quit playing WAW because I (after a few months)got bored with it. This is the same game...just with new weapons.

The same people that around here praise TF2. Sure they come out with funny lines and the payload game type is "hella" fun, the art work is rather unique but beyond that it's just like every other shooter.

Quake, Doom etc etc all the same, few things to make them stand out but overall your doing the same thing you have been doing since you were a wee whipper snapper.

Just depends on what flavour ice cream shooter you like, chocolate COD is just one of those flavors.

I don't play a lot of multiplayer... in fact, none at all.

Black Ops is honestly the only game I've ever really given a chance to play online like that, so maybe that's why I'm having such fun with it :/

It's decent, but not spectacular. People are finding new ways to be dicks, other people are bitching and complaining, and the gameplay can get stale.

That's why I play it in small doses. 3-5 matches at a time. Break. 1-3 matches, LONG BREAK...

If you don't live on it, you won't be bored as much

CoD is nothing spectacular, Hasn't been since CoD 2. Call of Duty is just the Justin Bieber of gaming. It's safe, generic, and compared to GOOD games it's actually pretty average/horrible (depending on your sanity).

And sure, the point on TF2, Doom and Quake being fundamentally similar games is true. However these titles are quality. Each may not be for everyone, but each new release of these titles is arguably thought out and well developed unlike the yearly releases of Call of Duty. TF2 is fairly balanced (Vanilla is perfectly balanced), the maps are fun and well designed (except 2fort), and the class system is robust and well designed.

I think the only way CoD could return to quality is if they seriously just sat down and took time to make the game fun and fresh again. But Activision is too concerned with money to bother.

It seems that you are unable to enjoy any games, judging by all the threads you make about them not being so good. Ever considered knitting instead? If no game can keep you occupied, maybe making a scarf or some socks can.
And now, "On Topic": I can't say much about the multiplayer, as the match finding system is worse that that of Modern Warfare 2. While searching, I have never found a single match.
But while in a party with my best friend, which can get me into games somehow when I can't alone, the muliplayer does seem more interesting than the last few games, and the customisation is quite nice too.

Estocavio:

Actually, the simplicity is part of the reason Black Ops is so good.

Running around a digital map shooting at your buddies is a simple formula that will always be fun.

Black Ops makes a return to the more gunplay-focused, less cluttered style of early COD games, and I for one have been having an absolute blast with it for the last 4 days.

Add in top-notch presentation, smooth controls and a solid 60 frames per second and you have one very enjoyable shooter.

MiracleOfSound:

Estocavio:

Running around a digital map shooting at your buddies is a simple formula that will always be fun.

Black Ops makes a return to the more gunplay-focused, less cluttered style of early COD games, and I for one have been having an absolute blast with it for the last 4 days.

Add in top-notch presentation, smooth controls and a solid 60 frames per second and you have one very enjoyable shooter.

I never said it was a bad thing - Either way, thanks for proving my point, even if you didnt mean to :p

Palademon:

That's just not true.

Being a 30 year old gamer who has enjoyed everything from Doom, to Quake, to TF2 to Halo 3, COD to me feels by far the best online shooter to play and has the fastest, most exciting gameplay.

Most of the people on my friends list are of like mind. I think the series took a nosedive last year for sure, but Black Ops redeems it entirely for me (apart from the knifing, which is flat out broken)

The RCXD is the funnest thing ever implemented in a multiplayer game. Also the most annoying.

MiracleOfSound:

Estocavio:

That last bit sounds likes the Descriptions you used to see in catalogues, listing the 'features' of crappy Walkmans

This 5.99 Sorny 'Musicman' features: Pause button, Durable Outer Casing, free batteries!

OT I havent bought Cod yet but i had a quick go round a friends house, it seems pretty fun

C4 RC car... nuff said :)

Black Ops is less balanced than MW2 and less polished than BC2, but it's still fun game to play. Playing it right now cause get bored of BC2. Soon there will be Vietnam addon to BC2, so it's nice to play Black Ops for now.

EDIT: What makes it fun you ask. COD, Battlefield, ARMA and some other action oriented multiplier games are the best when it comes to creating "I had that moment". In these games you often get a situation that are hard to forget and generally cool moments. They allow you to try different play styles and perfect them if you wish.

IMHO problem with Black Ops is that it's not really balanced in terms of weapons, but "perks" distribution is better than in MW2 and issue with lags that we had as a first customers dosn't make it the best multiplayer game.

MiracleOfSound:

Palademon:

That's just not true.

Being a 30 year old gamer who has enjoyed everything from Doom, to Quake, to TF2 to Halo 3, COD to me feels by far the best online shooter to play and has the fastest, most exciting gameplay.

Most of the people on my friends list are of like mind. I think the series took a nosedive last year for sure, but Black Ops redeems it entirely for me (apart from the knifing, which is flat out broken)

Well, it wouldn't really be CoD without the Lunge of doom!!!

Ot: I'll certainly try the black ops multiplayer when I get it, but like every other CoD I'll probably just stick to the campaign and split screen for the most part. But I'm not really a huge fan of online anyway, tf2 is probably the only game that's captured my heart for online.

Sometimes its just fun to run around and shoot people.

Having a 30-5 game (if you are capable) feels fairly rewarding and satisfying.

Outsmarting people by leading them straight into a claymore, rewarding!

I enjoyed COD4 quite a bit, MW2 I enjoyed for awhile but the terrible imbalance of that game and the fact that a good 75% of your deaths felt like they were unfairly earned really put me off eventually.

Black Ops is really balanced, probably the most balanced COD I've ever played. Unless the enemy team spawns behind me (which I HATE!), I know that I simply got outworked and I get shot, or very unlucky.

If you don't like it, thats fine. I know I'm having fun with it. Put on Hardline and the RC-XD killstreak, two kills earns you an explosive remote controlled car...how is that NOT fun? lol

Viik:
Black Ops is less balanced than MW2 and less polished than BC2, but it's still fun game to play. Playing it right now cause get bored of BC2. Soon there will be Vietnam addon to BC2, so it's nice to play Black Ops for now.

How is it LESS balanced than MW2?

MW2 had One Man Army + NoobTube, Quickscoping, Commando, a terrible spawn system, Painkiller and incredibly overpowered killstreaks....

Name to me the imbalanced things about Black Ops, cause I certainly don't see them.

Is it really such a big deal that a lot of people like Black Ops multiplayer? Everywhere i go i see people asking what makes CoD so popular. I mean, i think the games are overhyped as hell, but even i can admit that popular things are popular because they do something right that people like and there will always be people that need to join the bandwagon hating on a game which, suprisingly, is no different then people joining a bandwagon to enjoy a game.

Sorry, i guess that's a bit of a rant, but to answer the question, it's because many people find them fun, plain and simple, there's no equation to what that is, just people enjoy playing it because they have opinions like everyone else. Like i said, i do feel the games are overhyped, and i've played all the CoD's up to 4, but i can still appreciate that the games feel tight, polished, and many things about it are just fun. The levels are in general well thought out, the weapons are fun to use, the mods (which CoD4 used nicely, in my opinion) mix up the gameplay, and in the end people just find it fun.

Zenn3k:

Outsmarting people by leading them straight into a claymore, rewarding!

Or hacking their claymore to explode in their face... even more fun :D

Eh.

It's not bad. But I wouldn't say it's great. Maybe it's just not my thing.

Zenn3k:

MW2 had One Man Army + NoobTube, Quickscoping, Commando, a terrible spawn system, Painkiller and incredibly overpowered killstreaks....

Name to me the imbalanced things about Black Ops, cause I certainly don't see them.

Have to agree here. To many the only things that are currently throwing the balance off are the RC Car and knifing.

Seriously need to get off your high horse people. Popular things are popular for a reason and whether you think its awful or not there isnt much else to it. You arent a unique little snowflake for not playing CoD because its "generic/bad." There are PLENTY of other snobs like yourself. Opinions an opinion but I won't be insulted for enjoying a game which you find awful. Like somebody said above, its just a different style of FPS plain and simple. I love GoW, TF2, Quake and the like but COD is another great shooter and thats all there is to it. Simplicity. Plus RCXD :)

It's fast paced, social with your friends, simple, challenging enough so most people won't get bored and lots of customisable shit

It's not as good as many single player games but personally I find it on par with COD4 multiplayer

Plus the RC is fantastic

Eh, people think it's special because they've never played Quake 3. *haughty superior down the nose glance*
I played CoD4 multiplayer one time. It was OK. If CODBLOPS multiplayer is similar to that I can see why it's widely enjoyed. It's easy to jump in and get kills, and the graphical prettiness can't hurt either.

Zenn3k:

Viik:

How is it LESS balanced than MW2?

No, you right, it's better balanced than MW2, but to me it feel that it can better. Cause here - noobtube is still there, almost everybody runs in gilly or lightweight with famas or enfield, there is very little place for snipers (my last build, got bored of it to hell right now). I would give Black Ops a number one game for anybody who wants to run around with a shotguns ))) this is where this game really excells.

EDIT: I prefer diversity of play styles such as in Bad Company 2 and ability to choose your ground. I don't see it here and maps are still horribly small. MGs are pointless, sniper rifles are good for camping a single direction with a small angle that is just a few points on some of the maps. Some SMGs are as good as assault rifles and some assault rifles are better than anything else. Developer said that they followed idea of having balanced gun in a middle and deviations to the sides, but "balanced" should not mean "the best". Take famas and enfiled, they don't have flaws compared to other guns, for close combat they as good as for killing snipers. If "balance" is achived by giving the same gun to everybody than it's not mine choice of game, BC2 does it much better.

Duffeknol:
The RCXD is the funnest thing ever implemented in a multiplayer game. Also the most annoying.

I don't know about "funny" but it is without a doubt not the most annoying. Play a round of World at War with bouncing betties flying everywhere or MW2 with the noob tubes and speed knifing.

Viik:
Black Ops is less balanced than MW2 and less polished than BC2, but it's still fun game to play.

Are you insane? Modern Warfare 2 was the most unbalanced Call of Duty ever. I played the hell out of it but hate it to a point. It is nice to look at and plays smooth, some times, but other than that Modern Warfare 2 was fucking dumb with overpowered things and annoying features. MW2 will go down in history as one of the most hated games ever.

I think people here are missing the point about what Black Ops is trying to do. They are trying to bring back the simple Call of Duty. They want to keep the custom things people like but make it less scrub friendly. In previous Call of Duties the game was about Gun Vs Gun, not Speed Knife Vs Noobtube Vs Camping Sniper Vs Quick Scoper. All I know is that after playing just 24 hours of Black Ops multiplayer I have only been Noobtoobed TWICE. It is like a fucking miracle. While it isn't perfect, the maps to me are a bit bad, I think it is an ever more balanced version of Call of Duty 4.

dsmops2003:
They are trying to sell themselves on the fact that the game was worth the 60 dollars they wasted on it. Have you ever had to sell yourself on something that in the back of your mind you know wasn't the best decision but you had to live with it, so you told yourself it was the right choice?

Yep, it's called "cognitive dissonance," or the inability to hold two conflicting ideas at the same time. In this case, the conflicting ideas are "1: I spent a lot on this game" and "2: This game is not quite worth a lot of money."

And there are three ways to handle it:

A) The Sensible Human: "I spent more on this game than it is actually worth. In the end, I've learned a valuable lesson I will carry with me into the future, about buying into hype."

B) The Insane Person: "I spent more on this game than it is actually worth. In order to make myself feel better about this, I will instead convince myself that I did not spend that much money on it. This will bring the amount I paid in line with the value of the game."

C) The Average Person: "I spent more on this game than it is actually worth. In order to make myself feel better about this, I will instead convince myself that some element of the game is actually fantastic. I will tell others about how fantastic it is and laud it every chance I get. This will bring the value of the game in line with the amount I paid."

Take a moment to notice just how close C is to the reasoning of B. The way in which average people operate is just one or two split hairs away from the behavior of an insane person.

Hardcore_gamer:
*snip

Command & Conquer series

Quake series

StarCraft/WarCraft and their sequels

HALO series

All of these top selling games delivered the same game with tweaks added to each installment. COD is no different, it's just been one of the favourite flavours of the past couple of years.

Where were you when Halo: Reach was released? I'm sure there were many threads extolling its multiplayer virtues. But by and large it's just a massively polished form of the original, which lets face it, wasn't the greatest game ever made.

My advice: Ignore the obvious fanboys, and start looking for games that are more stimulating than the 'FPS of the day' if you can only tolerate its averageness for a few hours.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked