Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Syndrome Conundrum

Pages PREV 1 . . . 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 . . . 73 NEXT

Just a quick point...why are people using potash? I've never had to use it...

The_root_of_all_evil:

Because I am stupid and didn't know to build my farms underground. Potash is required for above-ground farms, it would appear.

Johnn Johnston:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Because I am stupid and didn't know to build my farms underground. Potash is required for above-ground farms, it would appear.

The_root_of_all_evil:
snip'd

[imagine I found a video of Skeletor yelling "Curses!" to embed]
In that case, you probably irrigate. I'm pretty awful at DF, truth be told. I still haven't worked out how to get the water buffalo corpses out of my dining rooms.

Johnn Johnston:

The_root_of_all_evil:
snip'd

[imagine I found a video of Skeletor yelling "Curses!" to embed]
In that case, you probably irrigate. I'm pretty awful at DF, truth be told. I still haven't worked out how to get the water buffalo corpses out of my dining rooms.

Yep, corpses are a pain. That huge M that you can see is a Minotaur corpse that's been there for years.

Eat it?

Wow, a few days ago I went looking for DF on Escapist and found a nice little LP from 2010, I decided to follow it. Imagine my surprise when I find out it's still going ;)

Nice fort, EXTREMELY good LP.

If you need more dorfs, count me in as Dead Dodo (or Deadly Dodo if you want another military dorf).

Thanks for continuing to update the LP despite no doubt being swamped by your work! How is college anyway?

killthenrun1:
Eat it?

Minotaurs are to intelligent for dwarves to consider butchering them. Despite all the terrible things you can do, dwarves respect sapient life enough not to make them into finely minced minotaur roasts.

freetogoodhome:
Thanks for continuing to update the LP despite no doubt being swamped by your work! How is college anyway?

It's not as bad as I thought it would be, and I'm actually enjoying a lot of thing about it. I've been having some problems this week though, which is why there hasn't been an update. This weekend isn't looking better either.

Oh ok i have not encountered a Minotaur yet, can you sell it's bones?

Also do not worry about when it comes out since it is so good. As long as it comes on some time in the next 10 years then i will be happy.

killthenrun1:
Oh ok i have not encountered a Minotaur yet, can you sell it's bones?

Also do not worry about when it comes out since it is so good. As long as it comes on some time in the next 10 years then i will be happy.

You can't sell corpses themselves, only objects made from a corpse. You can't make objects out of a minotaur becuase it is considered intelligent life and dwarves won't butcher it. So no, you can't sell minotaur bones as dwarves won't make anything with them.

So are mermaids not considered intellegent?

Good news everyone! As far as I know, eye damage heals by time.

killthenrun1:
So are mermaids not considered intellegent?

I'm guessing you've heard the infamous tale of players designing traps made to breed and butcher mermaids becuase they had valuable bones. Well that was in an old version, and things have changed since then. Having not played it I'm not entirely sure what the change was that made dwarves refuse to slaughter mermaids. Either mermaids weren't intelligent back then or dwarven ethics were more lax. Regardless, if you tried butchering mermaids in this version it wouldn't work. Even if you could it wouldn't be profitable since their bones are no longer highly valuable.

Oh that is kind of saddening :(.
I guess that when I get good at traps and find a world with mermaids, I will have to make something that feeds them straight to a forgotten beast to make up for it.
So how much would their bones be worth now?

hooray good to know that your back kraken :D and knowing that i looked a walamingo in the eye and punched it in the face shows my true dwarfy spirit of never giving up!

You are a wonder, Kraken, I've gotta say. To keep something like this going for quite so long, with real accomplishment... Simply put, I'd recommend this thread to anyone who wanted to experience something positive on the internet.

I have downloaded DF, but haven't unzipped it or anything yet, treating it with kid gloves, I guess. Maybe it's gaming's last word? Maybe it's the last chance I will ever have to experience something really unique and magical, like those games in the mid to late 90s that I played when I didn't even know what a computer really was. Magic in a bottle.

Zenkem:

YUSH!

killthenrun1:
Oh that is kind of saddening :(.

I like how this is sad not because people are slaughtering majestic sea people, but rather becuase it's no longer profitable.

I guess that when I get good at traps and find a world with mermaids, I will have to make something that feeds them straight to a forgotten beast to make up for it.
So how much would their bones be worth now?

Nothing, because you can't sell them. Even if their bones got broken down by something else a dwarf still wouldn't use them to make crafts. Though if you could make something out of them, it wouldn't be worth anymore than the bones of some mundane creature like a cow or dog.

Yes who cares about creatures when there is profit to be made? (Except drawfs) :(
So there is no way to say buy it off humans? Also does not mean i cannot go through with my FB killing square :).

The_root_of_all_evil:

Zenkem:

YUSH!

well yours did heal... its the scars on them that are the issue...

i honestly thought that "oozed" was going to involve the blister plague melting everybody into necrotic slime.

Oh thank god, I avoided death.

Wait, I'm still a child? I thought kids couldn't do anything except suck up rations? Guess not, if I was trying to do something when I took that beating...

scotth266:
Oh thank god, I avoided death.

Wait, I'm still a child? I thought kids couldn't do anything except suck up rations? Guess not, if I was trying to do something when I took that beating...

Kids can do a few very specific things, only two that I know of. First, they can harvest plants. Makes sense, since that's not exactly a complex job. Second, they can remove constructions, a highly dangerous task that can easily get the dwarf killed. Why children are allowed to do that is a mystery.

Good way to get rid of leachers and do the dangerous jobs you do not want the useful drawfs doing.

Chapter 119: From the journal of Stinthad Kekimtobul

1st Moonstone, 1060, Early Winter

You know what's nice? Ever since we cleared out all the forgotten beasts here, there haven't been anymore. Maybe we drove them off for good. Maybe that lake really was all they cared about it, and now that we've drained it there isn't any reason for them to come here anymore. Or maybe we've just been lucky. Probably the later.

Anyways, I've decided that all future pump operations shall take place on the beach. Caverns are just too cramped and dangerous. The area will be walled off to keep goblins out when they inevitably come back. It should work just fine.

11th Moonstone, 1060, Late Spring

Oh god damn it.

Our military is falling apart, literally. When soldiers aren't dying their losing limbs on a regular basis. Asmel decided to play hero again and rush ahead of the group. Honestly I don't blame here, since they were just clearing out some cave ogres. They've done that before without a problem. Well apparently they found her lying on the ground in a daze while an ogre munched on her left arm. So now we have another soldier missing a limb. Just great.

Speaking of wounded soldiers, Mesca is stilling rotting away in the hospital. It's weird, seems like Root recovered way faster than he did. I'm sure he'll be fine though. Unless someone doesn't feed him. Silent Thunder is off partying or something, but Smiles is still on call so I'm not sure why she hasn't been feeding him. Oh well, she's probably going to do it soon. No way could our staff be so incompetent as to actually let a dwarf starve to death in plain sight.

16th Moonstone, 1060, Early Winter

Silent Thunder finally got around to meeting with the merchants, right when they were getting ready to leave to. I'd complain about her taking so long, but after nearly killing her due to a locked door I feel inclined to give her as much time off as she needs.

The merchants brought along many valuable metals as I had requested. By buying them we have significantly boosted the diversity of metal available in the fort. Always good to have more shiny stuff lying around. It was expensive, but money isn't much of an issue for us at this point.

The merchants didn't enjoy as large as a profit as I usually allow them, but they seemed satisfied none the less. In order to pay for this all I had to lower the amount of booze and food we normally purchase, but that shouldn't be a problem. After all, we have tons of food stockpiled.

18th Moonstone, 1060, Early Winter

So I heard a bunch of dwarves running around panicking about a wild elk bird. Normally that wouldn't seem odd but these dwarves were near the surface. Elk birds normally only harass people down in the caverns.

Well one of them somehow worked its way up to the top of the deep roads. I have no idea how it made this far on one of them most frequently traveled paths. Gods know how much work it interrupted on the way.

Fortunately Goden was nearby and managed to avert a potential crisis. The cavern creatures seem to be more aggressively lately. First Kevlar Eater was devoured by ooze pods, then cave ogres tore off Asmel's arm, and now a rogue elk bird infiltrated our fortress. Something weird is going on.

19th Moonstone, 1060, Early Winter

WHAT?!?

HOW?!? SILENT THUNDER IS STANDING RIGHT FUCKING THERE!! HOW DO YOU NOT NOTICE THE STARVING PATIENT RIGHT ACROSS THE ROOM!?? God, this is just infuriating and depressing. Silent Thunder should know better than this. Anyone with an inkling of common sense should know better than- wait, what the hell is that sound?

...wow, those are big.

23rd Moonstone, 1060, Early Winter

That went better than expected. I thought those giant lions would catch at least one poor dwarf but thankfully everyone managed to outrun them long enough for the military to arrive. Of course the lions didn't stand up to our trained soldiers. I guess the military isn't completely incompetent. At least, the Immortal Rags aren't.

The merchants have also decided to leave. Probably for the best, as without any more trading to do there's no reason for them to linger. Best to leave now before the goblins show up again. The outpost liaison and human law-giver are still here though. Oddly enough neither of them has tried to meet with me yet. They're just standing at the meeting all, chatting up any dwarves that happen to be hanging out there.

Fuck this website. Go to post an update, it doesn't load. When it finally does, forums aren't working. When those start working, thread doesn't load. Just let me post my shitty LP Escapist, this part shouldn't take more than a minute.

There was a post in the Tech Team user group that one of the servers is offline for maintenance. So if the site seems worse than usual tonight, there's a reason for that.

Wait.....8 times bigger than a lion? Holy crap that's a huge lion. I think I was attacked by a giant panda once... it had both its arms chopped off then bit the head from a dwarf before bleeding to death. Now all we need is giant elephants....or giant carp.

stop putting ypourself down kraken. the LP is brilliant and i eagerly await every update. :D

also: is the wildlife beginning a takeover of the fort or are your soldiers afflicted with the dumb?

Is'nt every drawf afflicted with the dumb?
Also what would you do if some catastrohic event happens?
Would you savescum, stop the lp or start a new one? I am just curious since you have been doing this for over a year. Also that is one huge lion and you did not tame it :(.

vallorn:
stop putting ypourself down kraken. the LP is brilliant and i eagerly await every update. :D

also: is the wildlife beginning a takeover of the fort or are your soldiers afflicted with the dumb?

both, I reckon.

probably mainly affected by der dumb.

""holy fuck that thing is huge and it's about to tear off my face"."
I don't think they can tear off a dwarfs face, mostly because the paws would be too big to accomplish such a task.

Wait a moment...if eyes can grow back...can arms?

All those in favour, raise...oh...

I'd be wondering if we could see an update on the fortress itself? I mean, the structure of it and the demographics of the dorfs within.

killthenrun1:
Is'nt every drawf afflicted with the dumb?
Also what would you do if some catastrohic event happens?
Would you savescum, stop the lp or start a new one? I am just curious since you have been doing this for over a year. Also that is one huge lion and you did not tame it :(.

Savescum? How? You'd have to make a backup in the data folder, and that isn't something most people usually do. Also, odd that Forgotten Beasts have been replaced with angry cavern dwellers. And that the normal creatures seem to be harder to beat.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 . . . 73 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked