Let's Play: Pokemon Crystal - A Nuzlocke Challenge.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Ok, so I'm in a bit of a creative mood tonight. Earlier, a series of thoughts struck me. I thought, I quite Pokemon. I'd quite like to do a Let's Play. I quite like a challenge. All of three of these combined results in a Nuzlocke run of Pokemon Crystal! And what better place to present it than the Escapist? Well, apart from the main Nuzlocke site perhaps, but I'm not a community member there.

Some of you may be asking: What is a Nuzlocke Run? A Nuzlocke Run is a self-imposed challenge on a Pokemon game, and has a couple of core rules, and then you can add any number of extra rules to it to increase the challenge. For reference, here's a handy guide:

I'll be using the core rules: If a Pokemon faints, its dead and First Pokemon on each route only, although my dead Pokemon will be placed in a Box so we can see how I'm doing. What's more, for the sake of team diversity, I'll be using the No Duplicates rule. All my Pokes will require nicknaming, so feel free to suggest any.

Right, got all that? Good, because in this here spoiler is Part One: Let's Get this Run on the Road

Any thoughts, share them. Any ideas for nicknames, shout them out. Any changes I should make, suggest away. Any grievances, air them. Any Pokemon you think I should have in my team, feel free to say so, but remember I'm limited by the rules.

Thanks for taking the time to read, and I'll get another update up either later tonight or tomorrow.

Current Team
Sir the Croconaw. Veteran of many a conflict, currently holding the world record for most manly crocodile this side of the universe. He's a keeper.
Kir the Pidgeotto. Amazonian death-bird. Enjoys summoning tornadoes and pecking people to death. Dislikes you.
Cuddles the Noctowl. Psychic bird. Probably quite arrogant, if only because he spends all his time around uncivilised warriors, instead of his own intellectual peers.
G-Man the Graveler. Animate rock. Uhh... I dunno, he's really useful?
Morrigan the Ghastly. Goddess of suffering given slightly corporeal form. Takes ages to level up, but Haunters are badass.
Sophie the Nidorina. Poisonous rabbit destined to become an elegant queen.

Reserve
Sapper the Sentret. Please God no.
Pimp the Togepi. He gets the bitches and knows potentially every move in existence.
Bob Sapp the Spinarak. Championship kickboxer, on account of having eight appendages.
Raul the Zubat. Un murciélago español. Él no puede ver, y chupa la sangre.

DeathsNew Members of Valhalla
Hogan the Growlithe.
Adorable, fluffy, spat fire. Critically hit by a wild Growlithe. Level 13.

Suggested Nicknames
Andre/Andrew - emeraldrafael

Table of Contents
E1 - Let's Get This Run On The Road: This Post. (New Bark Town)
E2: More Old People, And Some Weird Dude. (To Mr. Pokemon's and Back)
E3: The Team Begins To Form. (To Violet City)
E4: The Tower of Sprout. (Sprout Tower)
E5: Violence in Violet. (Violet Gym)
E6: Once More Into the Breach. (To Union Cave)
E7: Death To All Wild Pokemon Who Dare Appear First. (To Azalea Town)
E8: Badass Grandpa vs. Team Rocket. (Slowpoke Well)
E9: This Gym Just... Wait For It... BUGS Me! (Azalea Gym)
E10: A Bird That Cuts Down Trees? How Farfetch'd! (That Damn Bird in Ilex Forest)
E11: I Hate Route 34. (Ilex and Route 34)
E12: GRINDAN FOREVER. (Route 34 and Goldenrod Underground)
E13: Unlucky For Some, Unlucky For You. (Goldenrod Gym)
E14: Moving Swiftly On. (Route 35)
E15: Stop All the Clocks. (Sorting Out Sudowoodo)
E16: In Which Manly Dance-Based Interests Are Pursued + E17: Stalking Suicune (Ecruteak Dance Theatre and Burned Tower)
E18: Triple Whammy, Once and Only (Ecruteak Gym)

At first I thought "What? A Pokemon LP?". Then I remembered that I'm not on Something Awful.

Playing with Nuzlocke rules makes Pokemon a lot more interesting. It causes you to use Pokemon you would normally have overlooked, be a lot more cautious, and in general use strategy rather than just spam overpowered move X, use revive, repeat. Plus it gives you an emotional connection to your Pokemon! I love my Linoone. He's the only member of my original party in Saphire that hasn't died. Technicaly he's my first pokemon to, since my mudkip was cirtical hit killed by Treeko in the first rival battle (fuck that treeko, it cirtical hit killed 3 of my pokemon).

Enough of my rambling though. Pretty good writing so far, and you gain many points for picking totodile, one the best Pokemon ever. I'm wondering why you have chosen to play Crystal though, considering Heart Gold/[i]Soul Silver[/b] are updated versions of it. Regardless, good luck. I'll try to keep an eye on this.

Also I bet despite all you MANLY MAN talk, you will get a hoppip.

I just spent like 10 minutes on this post instead of writing my own LP like I should be. Derp.

Internet Kraken:

Enough of my rambling though. Pretty good writing so far, and you gain many points for picking totodile, one the best Pokemon ever. I'm wondering why you have chosen to play Crystal though, considering Heart Gold/[i]Soul Silver[/b] are updated versions of it. Regardless, good luck. I'll try to keep an eye on this.

Heh, I love doing Nuzlocke runs. I tend to suck at them though, so I don't know how long this will last.

Also, Totodile is the best. No other Johto starters have anything on that damn crocodile.

As for playing Crystal, that's because I honestly prefer it to the remakes, as awesome as they are. Something about the old GameBoy-ness of it just makes me happy.

Internet Kraken:

Also I bet despite all you MANLY MAN talk, you will get a hoppip.

Hoppip are manly. Skiploom are manly. Jumpluff are manly. Only real men can kick arse and be fluffy at the same time.

Time for Part Two, since I'm in overdrive mode and actually went and got it done.

Next time, back to Elm, and the challenge will begin proper! Update probably tomorrow morning.

I really wish I had the attention span for a Nuzlocke run. It makes things interesting but I can't help but feel that they aren't for me, and yet I find Pokemon to be getting dull and need of something to keep it from getting uninteresting after playing for about 40 hours.

Needless to say, I am enjoying your series. Hurrah!

Calumon: Jack thinks he's manly too. He's silly like that. :p

So, is saving and loading cool, or are we too manly for second chances?

These are seriously funny, most I've laughed all day! Keep it up, you're doing an awesome job.
And how are you getting the screenshots of your gameplay?

This is pretty good. I love watching people fail at Nuzlocke runs.

Atleast you picked Brotodile. Is that an emulator or a really good camera? Good luck, either way, you'll need it.

Do de doo, taking time out from Pokemon to quote people and make conversation.

Jack and Calumon:
I really wish I had the attention span for a Nuzlocke run. It makes things interesting but I can't help but feel that they aren't for me, and yet I find Pokemon to be getting dull and need of something to keep it from getting uninteresting after playing for about 40 hours.

Needless to say, I am enjoying your series. Hurrah!

Yeah, Nuzlocke runs can get a bit gruelling, unless you're suicidal/don't care about Pokemon, but fortunately I don't mind that. Also, as long as people like it, I'm committed to finishing it. I'm also a JRPG nut, so grinding doesn't bother me.

Oh, and glad you're enjoying the influx of manliness onto your computer. I hope your screen doesn't explode from it.

...actually, I do, because that's be awesome.

Jack and Calumon:
Calumon: Jack thinks he's manly too. He's silly like that. :p

Don't worry little dude, one day he will mature into a wonderful, ass-kicking, Sly Stallone quoting badass. You just need to be patient.

mirror's edgy:
So, is saving and loading cool, or are we too manly for second chances?

You only get one chance at life, my friend; Pokemans is no different. If Sir should die ascend to Valhalla, then there will be no reloading, and no Revives. Same goes for anyone on the Team.

Captain Pirate:
These are seriously funny, most I've laughed all day! Keep it up, you're doing an awesome job.

Cheers. Wait. Woah. You're a pirate. And a captain. Oh my god. Manly man over here. Everyone look closely. This is clearly a manly man.

Doctor Glocktor:
Atleast you picked Brotodile. Is that an emulator or a really good camera? Good luck, either way, you'll need it.

As to both of your questions, its no emulator. This be a legit copy, into the Gamecube by way of the adaptor and then into computer. Much abuse of the Print Screen button and cropping occured to bring you this.

Berserker119:
This is pretty good. I love watching people fail at Nuzlocke runs.

You've come to the right place, my record of Nuzlocke runs on my own is abysmal.

Ohh I've got an extra challenge point you could try for your Nuzlocke run.

Your'e not allowed to evolve your starter pokemon.

any of the other pokemon can be evolved though because no evolutions at all sounds a bit too dificult to add to the nuzlocke rules.

The sheer manliness of this LP is making my eyes bleed. Its a good thing :D Always loved the idea of a Nuzlocke run, I would do one myself but I'd just end up mourning the deaths of my Brothers In Arms and go into deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep depression...a MANLY depression...with bacon...But I digress.

BOOKMARKED for great justice

Chaos-Spider:
Extra Rule snip

...While I would love to say no to that for sake of my own sanity, my manliness compels me to accept your challenge.

FROM NOW ON, SIR WILL REMAIN A TOTODILE UNLESS THERE ARE OBJECTIONS AS WE GO.

Also, let's get going with Part 3. Yeah, I said the morning, but I'm on a roll here.

Time for a break, before GRINDAN FOREVER and the Sprout Tower. Possibly even the Gym.

You beat Joey? Impossible.

His Rattata is TOP PERCENTAGE.

Hehe, well written. Good luck, young manly Jimmy.

If I can remember, I think G/S/C games are usually hard for Nuzlockes, at least from I've experienced. Just wondering OP, are you also going to fight Red?

I am so bookmarking this... This is really funny. Looking forward to more adventures with Jimmy sir and kir.

TerranReaper:
If I can remember, I think G/S/C games are usually hard for Nuzlockes, at least from I've experienced. Just wondering OP, are you also going to fight Red?

I've said it earlier, I tend to suck at Nuzlockes, so if this region is overly difficult I'm sure I won't notice on account of failing too hard. As for Red, I dunno. If interest keeps up, maybe, although I'll likely have lost before then.

Doctor Glocktor:
You beat Joey? Impossible.

His Rattata is TOP PERCENTAGE.

His rat may be Top Percentage, but Sir's manliness cares not for numbers. In any case, I think he was just showing off to Kir.

Part Four GO!

Woah, that's a long update. Gym later tonight, after work.

[1] WaKeUpMrGmAn

EscapeGoat:

Captain Pirate:

Cheers. Wait. Woah. You're a pirate. And a captain. Oh my god. Manly man over here. Everyone look closely. This is clearly a manly man.

Why thank you, my good man.

Loving part four as well.

This is actually fantastic. I'm going to stay tuned right here.

Edit: After reading parts two, three, and four, I have just realised that you and sir are definetely the manliest things since Theodore Roosevelt, Jason Statham, and Fireman Sam. Looking forward to part five, where I may or may not suffer from testosterone poisoning.

That's some manly adventuring right there.
Like many others, I'm bookmarking this.

I like how you've chosen Crystal.
I always liked it much more than any other. Perhaps it was the comforting signs that appeared everywhere.
The only downside is I was never able to find the manlinest of all Pokemon: Mareep.
I could only ever get that in gold.

EscapeGoat:
FROM NOW ON, SIR WILL REMAIN A TOTODILE UNLESS THERE ARE OBJECTIONS AS WE GO

As much as I love it being even moar harder, I just gotta give in to the Rule of Cool:
Too badass not to use.

Anyway, loving your Let's Play, I might actually try it myself. Haven't played Pokemon in ages.

EscapeGoat:

FROM NOW ON, SIR WILL REMAIN A TOTODILE UNLESS THERE ARE OBJECTIONS AS WE GO.

I'm sorry, but this is basically suicide in a Nuzlocke run. I mean go ahead and do it if you want, but I'm afraid we're going to end up with a dead totodile before we beat the 3rd gym leader.

Also, you might want to put in some table of content linking to all your updates in the OP. Similar to the one I put in this thread. Otherwise, it will be hard for people who find this LP later on to get through all the updates.

Interesting run, I do love me some Nuzlockes. Working on one for Yellow right now that I'm recording. I plan to turn it into an actual comic once I finish but knowing me and how lazy I am... Yeah.

If I finish with Yellow(win or wipeout) I'll start Gold, then probably Emerald. Or Quartz if I feel particularly masochistic.

Cowabungaa:
Feraligat-Sir Snip

Internet Kraken:
Suicidal Snip.

God damn. Feraligatr is manly. Suicide is not manly. Therefore, these two objections and my own opinion have rejected the un-manly, suicide-causing rule that restricts Sir's evolution.

Also, after this update, I'll probably go back and create a table of contents in the OP, seeing as that actually sounds like a good idea.

So yeah, there's probably not going to be an update till tomorrow afternoon/evening, seeing as I'm at work for 9 tomorrow, but I finish at 3.

I can't wait to see what will happen when you get the Egg...

EscapeGoat:
snip.

I assume this isn't going to be updated right?

Sorry, I was just curious cause I've had this bookedmarked for a while and no updates. If you're busy that's fine, I just would like to know.

Dark Knifer:

EscapeGoat:
snip.

Sorry, I was just curious cause I've had this bookedmarked for a while and no updates. If you're busy that's fine, I just would like to know.

You know, I'm going to say probably not any time too soon. My work load pretty much skyrocketed after christmas (fucking A Level coursework ¬__¬) so I kind of got swamped under a mess of paper and forgot about this thread. Just so you know, it is still all saved and alive on my hard drive, but I've just not had time to post it up.

With any luck, my work's going to die down in the next week or so, seeing as my final deadlines for coursework are all coming up, so it may well update. Also, playing Pokemon White has got me in the mood for some classic, proper Pokemon. So, uhh, here's hoping I can get back into some sort of routine for updating this once again, and thanks for mentioning it.

EscapeGoat:

Dark Knifer:

EscapeGoat:
snip.

You know, I'm going to say probably not any time too soon. My work load pretty much skyrocketed after christmas (fucking A Level coursework ¬__¬) so I kind of got swamped under a mess of paper and forgot about this thread. Just so you know, it is still all saved and alive on my hard drive, but I've just not had time to post it up.

With any luck, my work's going to die down in the next week or so, seeing as my final deadlines for coursework are all coming up, so it may well update. Also, playing Pokemon White has got me in the mood for some classic, proper Pokemon. So, uhh, here's hoping I can get back into some sort of routine for updating this once again, and thanks for mentioning it.

No problem, looking forward to it :)

...what? What is this? Is it... could it really be...nah....it is! Its an update!

So. Very. Sorry. Really, I am. Here's what happens when you underestimate the level of work that arrives in a pile in year 13.

Ok, let's get this back on track.
First: I'm going to set a tentative update schedule of weekly, probably on the weekends.
Second: Don't forget to shout out if you want me to give specific nicknames to any Pokes I manage to catch (Freaking Sir criticals everything), or if you want me to try and put together a specific team.
Third: Sorry. Let's get this on a proper update schedule.
Finally: Just wanted to say that Pokemon White is awesome. It actually is. I can even forgive it for the binbag Pokemon. Its just golden, and great swansong for the DS.

An update! Yes!

Thank you, good sir, for this nuzlocke challenge, it's frigging hilarious.

EscapeGoat:
Second: Don't forget to shout out if you want me to give specific nicknames to any Pokes I manage to catch (Freaking Sir criticals everything), or if you want me to try and put together a specific team.

Cuddles. Doesn't matter the Pokemon, just Cuddles. Or Snuffles, either is awesome.

Also, great to see you started doing these again!
Don't worry, workload takes priority; if it gets too much to do another update for a bit, I think I speak for all of us when I say it's OK.

Keep up the badassery with Sir: The Ambadassador of all manly Pokemon everywhere.

EscapeGoat:
snip

Thanks for releasing another update, hope you can release more regularly if you have the time :)

Also, possible name, Pimp. Make sure it's a badass guy pokemon so you can see "cause he get's all the bitches" because that could be pretty entertaining.

Captain Pirate:
snip

Cheers dude. I always get worried when I view the new posts on this thread, I keep expecting someone to shout at me for not updating, and having A Levels as a terrible excuse :P

Also, Snuffles will soon be joining us. However, I regret to add, it will not be this update, because this update is full of death. And beatings. And maulings. And wild ravaging and savaging by Sir, thus rendering it impossible for me to catch anything new ¬_____¬

Dark Knifer:
snip

Yeah, I should be releasing them more regularly now that my main workload is out of the way for a few months. Not looking forward to finals time though ¬____¬

Also, Pimp shall be with us. However, as detailed above, much destruction was wrought in this update, and more than a few Pokemon found their souls ripped forcibly from their bodies and sent packing up to that Day Care in the Sky to sit back and drink with the big ol' PokeGod.

With that done, here's a slightly earlier-than-the-weekend update, mostly because I forsee a weekend full of boring projects and American Politics revision for me.

An LP of a Pokemon game?

Reminds me of good times with Foxy.

I man-love this...

Could you name one of your manly men Hoak Hogan?
I look forward to this.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked