Your most overrated game(s) of last decade

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

For me its Assassins Creed 2, Mass Effect 1 and Fable 2.

I felt like Assassins Creed 2 was basically the same as the first but in a different environment. You still need to go through idiotic guards to get to your target and no matter what you'll never be able to pull off an assassination perfectly without the whole city knowing where you are. It did add some things like the tomb (catacombs) raiding but after completing most of those I didn't feel like even bothering with the game.

Mass Effect. I got this game before all the hype and everything. I actually bought it for like $15 somewhere because it wasn't well known or anything. Well the game isn't THAT good. Heck I even saw it voted for in the best game of the decade thread. The story was ok, good maybe, some of the characters were useless (Ashley and Kaiden could essentially do what everyone else could do but better) and the animations during dialogue were awkward. Don't get me wrong though, the game was pretty nice and choosing your own dialogue was cool but the game deserves at most a 9 if not just below it.

Fable 2. Everything that made the first game great was taken away. Less spells, no mana bar, no difficulty, no armor, no boss battle but SOMEHOW, I hear people say its a really good game. I personally did not find the game very interesting. I finished the game just for the sake of it (in about 4 hours on my 1st playthrough) and never touched it again. I didn't get the third because I knew it would just be another step backward for Fable and I guess I was right.

Fable 2 as enjoyable, but it wasn't overrated. A lot of people hate it (see chairs stuck in people glitch).

I have to disagree with ME1 and AC2. ME1 was Bioware's first modern gen RPG so I cut it some slack, but it is also incredibly immersive.

AC2 was infinity better than AC1. Absolutely better.

Dragon Age was pretty overrated as the story was a bit too predictable for a self-titled "dark" RPG; the combat and graphics were also both a mess. I don't think it was the most overrated, but I thought it was pretty badly overrated. Games I personally think are the most are ones I've never played personally, including a few JRGs but I can't truly judge them.

Oh, and Minecraft. I can have much more fun loading up the construction set for Oblivion or Fallout 3 and building a world there.

Dragon age has to be the most over rated game of the last few years, at least of the ones that i've played personally anyway. YMMV.

Call of Duty 4 multiplayer, why do/did people like this so much? It was full of screaming children, idoits and the gameplay was merely average for me.

*can practically hear entire armies of Halo, Call of Duty and Final Fantasy VII haters marching towards this thread, chanting "DEATH TO POPULARITY"*

OT: Half-Life 2 stands out for me as being rather overrated. Perfect Dark Zero was also very average for a game that got such positive reviews.

Metal Gear Solid 4. It just... wasn't that great. The story was slop, the gameplay was schizophrenic, and the dialogue was stitled (with the exception of Drebin, a character that I liked immensely).

God of War 2/3. The first was good, the other forced you to be an asshole.

GTA 4
'nuff said

For me, Half Life 2 was nothing special at all, just an average game which I didn't like at all.

Also I have to agree with Mass Effect and Assassins Creed, I just found them both super boring to play through.

Bioshock easily. Half-Life 2 had similar problems, which is why I say it was also a bit over rated as well. The gameplay just didn't hold up and was quite dull, despite the the strong atmosphere. However, HL2 was at least functional and not broken in terms of gameplay and therefore still enjoyable, which is far more than Bioshock could ever do which was broken beyond repair.

GTA 4. Sure it was fun for awhile but after being called to go bowling for the 4 time in 20 minutes as well as the shitty car handling and lack of customization. It all just felt like a step backwards.

Mass Effect 2: the gameplay was robotic, the metaphorical plot ship was filled with holes and it railroaded you to a comical degree, and SPACE BABY.

Half Life 2
Call Of Duty 4 Modern Warfare

Rathcoole:
GTA 4. Sure it was fun for awhile but after being called to go bowling for the 4 time in 20 minutes as well as the shitty car handling and lack of customization. It all just felt like a step backwards.

Okay, sometimes it feels like I'm the only one who didn't have problems with Roman or anyone calling you all the time. I think he called me a total of 3 times in the entire game. And the others didn't call me at all.

C95J:
For me, Half Life 2 was nothing special at all, just an average game which I didn't like at all.

Also I have to agree with Mass Effect and Assassins Creed, I just found them both super boring to play through.

In a universe with the Halo franchise (the exact same game released about 5 times now) you can never say HL:2 was over-hyped.

Gears of War franchise (before anyone gets smart, yes it's a TPS), Modern Warfare, MoH... In fact just 99% of FPS's sums it up for me. WoW and 99% of all MMOs.

HT_Black:
Mass Effect 2: the gameplay was robotic, the metaphorical plot ship was filled with holes and it railroaded you to a comical degree, and SPACE BABY.

That's how a story works? You start and move through it.

Definitely bioshock. I've really tried to like it but it's just not doing it for me. Can't really put my finger on what it is exactly...

It could be anything really. Kane & Lynch for 1 example

I'll second MGS4 the whole game was about story which wasn't even it's own just something created to appease the games before it, it's been all over the place. Game play was broken up constantly, so even if you were trying to get into it every few minutes it would just kick you out again. The stealth is easily broken by your better tools; and although not horrible it isn't great either.

Despite all of this it wins Game of the Year on many different awards shows/ hand-outs.

I don't think how anything can be more over-rated than a game of the year that clearly didn't deserve it.

Not that 2008 was a fantastic year for games but beating all of

GTA4, Fallout3, No More Heroes, Left 4 Dead, Little Big Planet, Ninja Gaiden, Tales of, Braid

....Speaking of 2008 Far Cry 2 was also very over-rated

Bioshock,HL2,Portal and MW2

OhJohnNo:
*can practically hear entire armies of Halo, Call of Duty and Final Fantasy VII haters marching towards this thread, chanting "DEATH TO POPULARITY"*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VII

Now to be a bit more on topic then... I'll cut things short by saying Fallout 3, I think most people have seen that image of mine, so I won't post it for once!

The Halo series. It's ok.

Seriously folks, better fps out there, most of them on the pc.

allinwonder:
GTA 4
'nuff said

This.
Also, the whole Halo thing completely passed me by.
And Naughty Bear.
And the recent Tomb Raider games...could have been amazing, as opposed to great.
the Star Wars game.
Dead Rising 2.

I like Valve but I couldn't really get into Half Life 2.

And I couldn't get into Mass Effect either.

I might try both again when I don't have to uninstall several games just to play a new one.. I need a bigger hard drive..

Modern Warfare 2. Spawning the crowds of people saying I must be a loser who plays WoW, quoting their stats at me. I thought Modern Warfare 1 was better.

Call for Duty and Mass Effect.

OH GOD, the vehicle sections. But you know what, it wasn't even that good a game. The conversations were awkward, the story wasn't terribly compelling and actually left me frustrated for the majority of it, and really, as far as Bioware goes, the writing really was subpar.

I just don't understand these "modern realism" shooters. I think, actually, I would give the overrated tag to the lot of them.

[edit]: Have to agree also with Half-Life 2 and Assassain's Creed 2 being "good but not THAT good". But that's the downfall of hype really.

Continuity:
Dragon age has to be the most over rated game of the last few years, at least of the ones that i've played personally anyway. YMMV.

It would have to be pretty bad to be overrated. I've never seen a good word said about it!

I enjoyed it though, so there's one.

Why do people make these threads?

Whose opinion are we judging this on? The game reviews? The people who buy them? The people of this site?

Either way what it boils down to is opinion. I dislike "realistic" war shooters and as such I dislike games such as Call of Duty, that doesn't mean all the millions of reviews/fans and whatever are somehow magically wrong because the game actually isn't as good as they all say.

Regardless, this thread will just be spammed with:

Halo (4 votes so far)
Call of Duty (7 votes so far)
Mass Effect (6 votes so far)
Half Life (8 votes so far)
Portal
GTA 4 (4 votes so far)
Bioshock (4 votes so far)
Any other game made by a large company that has very positive reviews/metacritic ratings.

It's so cool to be original and unpredictable.

Lusty:

Continuity:

It would have to be pretty bad to be overrated. I've never seen a good word said about it!

I enjoyed it though, so there's one.

It was awarded RPG of the Year 2009...

I'm an FPS hater, but it's just the style of game that doesn't generally sit well with me. Skipping on to more interesting (and slightly more original) things, World of Warcraft. Don't get me wrong, when I did play that game I enjoyed it; however, when I reflected on the experience I found myself more disappointed by things than impressed. I tried to return to the game a few months ago, and I found myself immensely bored by the endless grinding and unoriginal feeling. Consider also, I played with some of my friends, so I had the whole "social experience" thing going for it too, but it just felt so obnoxiously un-fun.

I agree that Modern warfare 1 was better than 2. If they have actually had scenes where Soap had a voice, or used totally different people, it might have been better...but you cannot beat the "All Gillied up" level.

Cuy'vul Dar:

OhJohnNo:

Now to be a bit more on topic then... I'll cut things short by saying Fallout 3, I think most people have seen that image of mine, so I won't post it for once!

Thing about FFVII is that it's held up as the best in the series or best game ever or whatever, so naturally the "I hate everything popular" people so sadly common on this site immediately add it to their "hate" list. There WILL be at the very least one person hating on it in this thread at some point, it's practically a mathematical certainty.

*Would like to clarify that he has never played any FF games at all*

IamSofaKingRaw:
Mass Effect

Omnific One:
Dragon Age

These two. You hear almost nothing but praise for these games, but I found them to have horribly boring gameplay and settings. >.>

GTA 4. I still have a bunch of missions to do that I cannot be bothered with. The humour in GTA games started to die with San Andreas when the whole game was just one big laugh, then they tried to keep the ridiculous characters and the bad stereotyping and make the game more serious. That pretty much blew the story apart for me.

But, it's a GTA game, there's always the messing around in fast cars and killing everyone you wanted. No, not in this one. You can do one or the other and not very well at that. Bad game overall and the multiplayer makes no improvement on the game at all.

Oh, probably Half Life 2, or something Valve have done. Sure, I don't hate Valve, but they've got this weird fanatic following that seem to love everything they do. I mean, the games have been pretty good but not the second coming that some people hail them as.

I can think of a few that have left me bewildered by their popularity and one or two that have left me bored regardless of peoples utter devotion.

The obvious one would be the CoD: MW series.
While I can appreciate they are good games well made and certainly play competently enough I'm just left bored by the 'real' world war canvas and the fans who take it far too seriously or just take the piss.

HALO.
No reason, to be honest. Maybe I missed the boat on this one as I do play a lot of FPS or maybe it's a case of buzz overkill and being left disappointed by what turned out to be a pretty mediocre shooter. The shitty driving sections didn't help.

Final Fantasy
walkfightwalkfightwalk....... blah fuckling blah

Gears of War
People are excited by this shit? Seriously?

Gran Turiszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Bioshock

I've tried a few times to have a crack at this but I just cannot get drawn into the story or atmosphere. All seems a bit trying too hard to be desperately mysterious.

OhJohnNo:

Cuy'vul Dar:

OhJohnNo:

Thing about FFVII is that it's held up as the best in the series or best game ever or whatever, so naturally the "I hate everything popular" people so sadly common on this site immediately add it to their "hate" list. There WILL be at the very least one person hating on it in this thread at some point, it's practically a mathematical certainty.

Final Fantasy VII wasn't released the last decade, to clarify things.

Cuy'vul Dar:

OhJohnNo:

Cuy'vul Dar:

Final Fantasy VII wasn't released the last decade, to clarify things.

Oh. Really?

*vaguely begins to recall somebody ranting about Final Fantasy VII being 13 years old*

Oh, yeah.

I probably should have put Final Fantasy in general, at least a few titles were released this decade (apart from XIII, which apparently nobody liked) right?

It's tempting to say CoD, but WoW. The shit's getting ridiculous and they even revamped it? How many more years...

:'(

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked