Castlevania Best and Worst

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I want to know what your favorite and LEAST favorite castlevania games are

rule: you have to have played them (so no spamming "castlevania 2" or "castlevania 64" just because you heard terrible reviews and you've never played them yourself)

for me the best would probably be Symphony of the Night

mainly because I love alucard as a character, and it was my first of the "new age" castlevania games

and probably the best anyways
(plus Harmony of Dispair isn't very complete because it's meant to be multiplayer)

My LEAST favorite (note I've played EVERY castlevania game except the DS/PS2 ones) is Castlevania... The Adventure

think castlevania 2, made liner (so castlevania 1 only outside) on the black and white gameboy screen, with more or less broken gameplay

Oh GOD I absolutely ADORE Circle Of The Moon. Also, Aria Of Sorrow.

I dislike Harmony of Dissonance though, I always seem to get stuck in it.

best: Order of ecclesia (yes, shut up)

worst: Castlevania 64

I've only played three Castlevania games, Dracula X chronicles (Rondo of blood remake), Lords of Shadow, and Circle of the Moon.

I would say Lords of shadow is my favourite out of those, followed very closely by Rondo of blood.

I only played Circle of the moon for five minutes, and I didn't find it all that good.

EDIT: I also remember playing vampire's kiss (Snes version of Rondo of blood) and Castlevania 64 on a emulator, and both of them are god awful.

Best: Order of Ecclesia

Worst: Probably Portrait of ruin.

I really only have experience with the first game, and it's DS incarnations. But if you have not played Order of ecclesia you are missing out on one of the best castlevania games this side of the mississippi.

Best - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (though the challenge of the game took a serious plunge when you acquired the Crissaegrim sword)

Worst - Castlevania 64. Watched my uncle try to play it and it almost made me want to throw up things I had already forgotten about eating.

Best: Castlevania Curse of Darkness

Worst: Actually thats the only one I played.
But I love it.

best: Rondo of Blood
worst: idk, I really did enjoyed all of them, and I never played Castlevania 2

and yes, that means I enjoyed Castlevania 64 and Legacy of Darkness

My favorite is probably Dawn of Sorrow. I have a sentimental love of Castlevania III, but I really loved the soul collecting in Dawn of Sorrow and put a load of hours into it.

I have yet to dislike a Castlevania game, though I've only played the NES and DS entries plus Lords of Shadow. Lords of Shadow is probably the weakest just due to having a few design flaws and aggravating bits, but was still a fun game.

Ranking best to worst of the ones I've played

Aria of Sorrow
Super Castlevania IV
Draculas Curse
Symphony of The Night
Rondo of Blood
Order of Ecclesia
Dawn of Sorrow
Castlevania
Dracula X
Judgement

from the ones I played

Order of Ecclesia
Lament of Innocence <- yes I really liked this game.
Symphony of The Night
Rondo of Blood
Aria of Sorrow
Dawn of Sorrow
Portrait of Ruin
Curse of Darkness <- overall this game was great but the combat system was very stiff and unenjoyable with some weapons.

I stopped at 2 Castlevania games back on the NES. Just never been a fan of the series.

The only ones I've played are Castlevania, Symphony of the Night and Lords of Shadow.

Symphony of the Night is probably my least favourite. Too much like Metroid, and I prefer being one of the Belmonts to Alucard.

I have only played 2 castlevania games ever.

Castlevania 1 and super castlevania 4.

Super castlevania 4 is my favourite one.

Best: Castlevania and The Legacy Of Darkness. Includes the original 64 as well.

Worst: Castlevania II. WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO WASTE SOME TIME

Best: Castlevania Aria of Sorrow
Worst: Don't really have one, I never played the N64 games, and while far from perfect I enjoyed the two 3d Castlevania's on PS2.

Best: ...any of the Metroidvania games. Symphony of the Night, Dawn of Sorrow and Aria of Sorrow were all great.

Worst: Super Castlevania IV. I just never liked the ones with no RPG elements... and that one only seemed to exist to "show off the SNES's graphics" at the time.

Best: Symphony of the Night

Worst: Tied between Castlevania 64 and Lament of Innocence

My favorite is Symphony of the Night

least would probably go with Simon's Quest

Best: Aria of Sorrow. Yes, it had much more to offer than Symphony of the Night, which was padded out with more difficulty. The inverse castle could;ve been cool. It was just kind of dumb.

Worst: Considering it is THE WORST of the major franchise screwups, Simon's Quest, and yes, I'm definitely being unoriginal and I know it.

Also, Vampire Killer: Underrated as all fuck.

Suepr Castlevania IV overrated as all fuck. The actual CASTLEVANIA stages are excellent, the first half of the game is awful.

For gameplay and overall presentation, Order of Ecclesia is excellent.
EDIT: Oh good murderous Hell...how could I forget Simon's Quest?

Best for me is easily Aria of Sorrow. Gameplay wise it absolutely hits every mark. Story wise its decent and entertaining.

Worst, I'm stuck between Castlevania for the Game Boy and Dawn of Sorrow for the DS. They're not bad, but each has something that cripples the fun.

Best Castlevania: Harmony of Despair is really really good, so what if it doesnt have a story, its all about gameplay. If that doesnt count then, SOTN because, well its SOTN

Worst Castlevania: IMHO it would be Harmony of Dissonance, The music was awful, Juste looked stupid, Maxim and every other character looked worse and the game just didnt work for me with the 2 maps that look and feel the same but if you miss one thing you get a bad ending,

to me the best i have played is Castlevania SOTN alucard is a great character i like the rpg parts added and the many different items.

but the worst i have played is Castlevania LOS no Castlevania, no dracula, lack of bosses from older Castlevania's the reaper is a joke and the final boss satan is the biggest joke and of the game he looks like a messed evil jesus who just came out of the shower

totally heterosexual:
best: Order of ecclesia (yes, shut up)

That's my favorite.

Second favorite?

Harmony of Despair.

Worst?

Dunno. Probably Lords of Shadow. Still liked it, though.

SimuLord:
I stopped at 2 Castlevania games back on the NES. Just never been a fan of the series.

You should know as well as anyone that series change over time.

It's changed a shit-ton since then. A shit-ton in the post SOTN era. I hate the old ones, too.

My friend hates the old ones...I gave him one of my DS games to play. HOLY SHIT...he ran through all the DS games in a week afterwords.

Onyx Oblivion:

SimuLord:

It's changed a shit-ton since then. A shit-ton in the post SOTN era. I hate the old ones, too.

My friend hates the old ones...I gave him one of my DS games to play. HOLY SHIT...he ran through all the DS games in a week afterwords.

It's not about hating the old ones...or the new ones. I just don't really enjoy the theme and setting. Vampire/classic horror doesn't really do it for me.

SimuLord:

Onyx Oblivion:

SimuLord:

It's not about hating the old ones...or the new ones. I just don't really enjoy the theme and setting. Vampire/classic horror doesn't really do it for me.

Well, there's no escaping that.

Best would be Symphony of the Night.
Worst would be Symphony of the Night.

It's a good game but since it's the only castlevania game that I have played, it must get both.

Best: Portrait of Ruin

Worst: ... Ok Portrait of Ruin is the only one I played but that was bloody awesome!

Oh boy, this is going to be hard since this is my favorite game franchise.

Best: Symphony of the Night (Both the English PSX one and the Saturn one) and all three DS games trailing in a close second.

Worst: Both the PS2 games and the new Xbox 360 game, because the new game wasn't Castlevania at all.

I don't know why people dis on 'Portrait of Ruin' so much. It has a good selection of enemies, great boss fights, great music and cool scenery. That's all I could really want from a Castlevania game. Taking all that into consideration I would say 'Dawn of Sorrow' is the weakest DS title since it somewhat fails at everything just mentioned.

I would also like to say I didn't find Castlevania II to be that bad. It was a weird departure from the first, like Zelda II, but like Zelda II it held it's own as a single game. Castlevania II was also the first step to the new Metroidvania format which most of us love.

Best: SOTN

Worst: Every 3D attempt except maybe Lament of Innocence.

Dishonorable Mention: The Gameboy versions for only being on Gameboys.

The Best:either Aria of Sorrow for the soul collecting or Portrait of Ruin for tons to do and a nice mix of the old and new castlevania. Though I'm not a big fan if the anime style in PoR

As for worst:it's a toss up between Simon's quest who's only saving grace was getting to pimp stride around to Bloody Tears or Circle of the Moon for being awkward and unfun,though the card mechanic was kinda cool.

Best:Symphony of The Night, Simon's Quest, Rondo of Blood, and Super Castlevania IV

Worst: A lot of the 3D ones didn't translate too well to the Z plane.... Though I did enjoy Lament of Innocence and parts of Curse of Darkness for ONE thing and ONE thing alone.

http://castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Pumpkin

HIM.

Come on people. Who didn't like that a little Pumpkin guy, is fighting the forces of darkness for one thing. CANDY!

*Edit* He's just so epic.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked