Majora's mask: one of the best (and creepiest) games of the decade.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

So Majoras Mask is creepier than Amnesia the Dark Descent? A better game than Portal or Dragon Age or Oblivion or Mass Effect or every single Halo or every single Gears of War or every single Call of Duty or all of the Assassin's Creeds or all the Fables or World of Warcraft or Half Life 2 and all it's episodes or both Uncharted games or all of the Silent Hills or Dead Space or every single AAA title to come out in the last decade?

Hardly.

Slick Samurai:
So Majoras Mask is creepier than Amnesia the Dark Descent? A better game than Portal or Dragon Age or Oblivion or Mass Effect or every single Halo or every single Gears of War or every single Call of Duty or all of the Assassin's Creeds or all the Fables or World of Warcraft or Half Life 2 and all it's episodes or both Uncharted games or all of the Silent Hills or Dead Space or every single AAA title to come out in the last decade?

Hardly.

I never said it WAS the creepiest or best, I said it was one of them.

And amnesia was SUPPOSED to be scary and creepy you knew that before you bought it. majora's mask was a LoZ game, you bought it for that, you didn't expect some twisted warped mindscrew that it had.

to me, that makes it even more creepy.

On a semi related note, has nintendo said anything about possibley making Majora's mask for the 3ds?

Jabberwock xeno:

Slick Samurai:
... A better game than ... Dragon Age ... or Mass Effect or every single Halo or every single Gears of War or every single Call of Duty or all of the Assassin's Creeds or all the Fables or World of Warcraft ... or both Uncharted ...

Hardly.

I never said it WAS the creepiest or best, I said it was one of them.

And amnesia was SUPPOSED to be scary and creepy you knew that before you bought it. majora's mask was a LoZ game, you bought it for that, you didn't expect some twisted warped mindscrew that it had.

to me, that makes it even more creepy.

They haven't said anything about MM coming onto the 3DS yet, the handheld hasn't even been made yet. And even then they will remake OoT first since it was much more popular.

EDIT :: However, I would agree that MM was better than the majority of the games you listed.

God I loved that game. Loved fighting the bosses with the fierce deity mask.

it wasn't the best, nor creepiest game, of the decade. wouldn't even say it's the best Zelda or creepiest game. sure it has it's moments but so does Twilight Princess.

i'm not a fan of the game, it's OK but that's all. some of the side quests are really good, like goron race, swimming as a zora and the archery games, but as a general game...best of the decade? no chance

spectrenihlus:

i prefered doing it without the Fierce Deity mask, the mask made things WAY to easy and boring

PureChaos:

spectrenihlus:

i prefered doing it without the Fierce Deity mask, the mask made things WAY to easy and boring

Overpowered asswhooping is always the way to go I just wish you could use the mask outside of boss rooms without using a glitch.

Jabberwock xeno:
Majora's mask.

In my opinion, one of the best games of the last decade...

I just realized MM wasn't made in the last decade. MM was made in 2000...

spectrenihlus:

PureChaos:

spectrenihlus:

Overpowered asswhooping is always the way to go I just wish you could use the mask outside of boss rooms without using a glitch.

completely destroying them was fun first time round but, especially for Majora's Mask/Incarnation/Wrath, the fights are so much more fun and challenging without it

Majora's Mark was actually the first ever Zelda game I played and I agree, it is such a fantastic game.

The depth and complexity of the narative is amazing, with each mask having it's own story to follow that's interwoven with the main story. To quote Yahzee 'it deconstructs the very nature of linar gameplay'. I mean think about it, there's no right or wrong order to collect the masks in, if you're inclined you can have two temples half completed at once, you can repeat certain plot points just for the fun of it. What game lets you do that?

The game world is staggeringly big or at least it feels that way, from the massive Termina field to southern swamp you just end up walking around and marvelling that how much depth was poured into the game. Sometimes I just liked wandering about cos it was such a brilliant place to be.

But scary, very scary. The music is disjointed and creepy, the people have heartbreakingly sad stories to tell, some of the things that happen are incredibly sinister such as that bit with the aliens at the Ranch. It's perhaps one of the best direct sequals ever made in videogames. Yay for Majora's Mask... now all I've got to do is get that music out of my head...

I was never really on board with Majora's Mask. Don't get me wrong, I understand why everyone likes it and I don't fault them at all. Thematically, I think it's probably more mature and interesting than OoT.

I just couldn't get into it. The day cycle seemed more often to be an annoyance rather than an interesting mechanic. It was interesting, if aggravating (I am not among those people who like timed challenges), at first, but swiftly became little more than a level timer. The game made less use of it for interesting time-based puzzles and more use of it to force you to complete certain things within a certain amount of time. I would much rather have had, say, a linear game where the day changes and time travelling were scripted. I'm sure many will disagree, but from a gameplay standpoint, that's how I felt about it.

Thematically, I loved the twisted darkness, the endless despair, and the strangely whimsical way it was all combined, but it never felt like a Zelda game to me. I much prefer the darker, if more conventional, Twilight Princess.

Then again, I don't hold OoT in quite the high regard everyone else does. It was groundbreaking at the time, but almost every good idea in the game has been stolen and polished so many times by now that the game has really fallen prey to the Seinfeld is Unfunny problem.

Jaime_Wolf:
I was never really on board with Majora's Mask. Don't get me wrong, I understand why everyone likes it and I don't fault them at all. Thematically, I think it's probably more mature and interesting than OoT.

I just couldn't get into it. The day cycle seemed more often to be an annoyance rather than an interesting mechanic. It was interesting, if aggravating (I am not among those people who like timed challenges), at first, but swiftly became little more than a level timer. The game made less use of it for interesting time-based puzzles and more use of it to force you to complete certain things within a certain amount of time. I would much rather have had, say, a linear game where the day changes and time travelling were scripted. I'm sure many will disagree, but from a gameplay standpoint, that's how I felt about it.

Thematically, I loved the twisted darkness, the endless despair, and the strangely whimsical way it was all combined, but it never felt like a Zelda game to me. I much prefer the darker, if more conventional, Twilight Princess.

Then again, I don't hold OoT in quite the high regard everyone else does. It was groundbreaking at the time, but almost every good idea in the game has been stolen and polished so many times by now that the game has really fallen prey to the Seinfeld is Unfunny problem.

I understand.

Beilve it or not, you and I feel the same.

The only difference between our opinions was that Majora's mask was the first video game I ever played, so it sort of had an extra say in my own opinion of what a video game should be:

Challenging, fun, and emotionally deep.

I agree completely, Ocarina of time is a great, nostalgic game but Majora's Mask was less formulaic, more innovative, more atmospheric and had side-quests out the wazoo. Best. Zelda. Ever.

Wait...how the hell was Majora's Mask creepy? Sure the moon looks scary but it wasn't in anyway creepy

I agree, MM was a incredibly fun games. My only real complaint with it was it was quite difficult to understand where to go and what to do for side quests, compared to OoT. But thats really the only fault I can see with it. I also love reading up the theories and supposed messages behind MM. I personally found this one to be kinda interesting http://i.imgur.com/fPIk7.jpg (Its an image, but words are there.)

gamepopper101:
Wait...how the hell was Majora's Mask creepy? Sure the moon looks scary but it wasn't in anyway creepy

When you are 10 years old and you play it, it's pretty damn creepy.

Slick Samurai:

Hardly.

Its not better but I can definitely say that I enjoyed it far more than I enjoyed any of the games that you mentioned.

Red Right Hand:

Slick Samurai:

Hardly.

Its not better but I can definitely say that I enjoyed it far more than I enjoyed any of the games that you mentioned.

Which brings us to the fact that it is still a good zelda game at heart.

Jabberwock xeno:

Red Right Hand:

Slick Samurai:

Hardly.

Which brings us to the fact that it is still a good zelda game at heart.

Absolutely. I loved every second of it for all the reasons that people have already said in this thread. Not much more I can add, to be honest.

Slick Samurai:

Hardly.

Not creepier than Amnesia, but fuck yeah is it better than everything you listed there. Hell, Portal, WoW, CoD, SH and maybe ME I can understand being on there, they're popular and well liked after all. But seriously... Fable? Uncharted? Hell, I like Oblivion and DA but still...?

No, just no.

Jabberwock xeno:

gamepopper101:

Have you played the game recently by the way? or haven't you played it since you were ten.

Jazoni89:

Jabberwock xeno:

gamepopper101:

Have you played the game recently by the way? or haven't you played it since you were ten.

I still play it.

Still pretty creepy. XD

Wonderful game, and easily the darkest Zelda ever made.

Hope I can post this....
http://www.next-gen.biz/features/time-extend-zelda-majoras-mask?page=0,0

Jabberwock xeno:

gamepopper101:

I was 9 when I first played it, I didn't find it at all scary.

gamepopper101:

Jabberwock xeno:

gamepopper101:

Did you play it at night?

That fucking mask salesman, when his eyes opened when he was angry.

Jesus fucking Christ that got me good when I was a young'un.

Slick Samurai:

Hardly.

Better than everything there except Portal, Call of Duty and maaaaaaybe Mass Effect, yeah.

Slick Samurai:
A better game than Portal or Dragon Age or Oblivion or Mass Effect or every single Halo or every single Gears of War or every single Call of Duty or all of the Assassin's Creeds or all the Fables or World of Warcraft or Half Life 2 and all it's episodes or both Uncharted games or all of the Silent Hills or Dead Space or every single AAA title to come out in the last decade?

Yes. Majora's Mask is one of the best Zelda games, it is every bit as compelling and well designed as Ocarina of Time and Link to the Past. Remember that Zelda games are AAA titles, they were AAA titles when the developers of all those games were learning to spell their names.

We're not talking about some poky little underrepresented series here, we're talking about a (very) close second to what is still the best reviewed game of all time.

TU4AR:

Slick Samurai:

Hardly.

Better than everything there except Portal, Call of Duty and maaaaaaybe Mass Effect, yeah.

Aw, come on, Dead Space was an awesome game that had ALOT of work and thought put into it. Amnesia is an obviously great game which doesn't even need mentioning. The Assassin Creed's had that movie-esque quality where you could just watch someone play and be entertained, despite some control issues. The Silent Hills were very good and WoW deserves some credit as well for it's ability to provide an awesome MMORPG over the years.

Portal was pretty fun and interesting however I perfered LIMBO much, MUCH more. For one thing it had more than just one puzzle that was able to stump me for more than five minutes. The Call of Duty's are fun to play... online, but not awesome. The story mode is interesting enough but not so much that I'd consider it better than any of the other games. And Mass Effect isn't really a very great game in my opinion. The combat isn't really too great, there is WAY too much dialog, and when you weren't do that you were driving around an impossible to steer moon-buggy. What I do give them credit for is how emmansive the work they put into the storyline and plot. However, Half-Life had that AND you didn't have to stand around hearing people talk about the status of the galaxcy that you really didn't care about to begin with. That and both of the Half-Life's are considered two of the greatest games of all time on multiple levels.

I'm not saying I agree with his choice in games, but give the games he mentioned that ARE great their credit. Majora's Mask was a great game, I didn't like it, but I do agree that it was an awesome game despite that fact. So I mean, look at a game for what it is. Because, though I agree alot of those games sucked, alot of those games do deserve to atleast be placed on the same tier as MM no matter how great you thought it was.

I haven't played it, but due to the fact that it has been getting a lot of attention recently and the segments you posted I might have to pick it up.
But I doubt it will be able to unseat Mass Effect 2 as my GOTD. :P

Jabberwock xeno:

gamepopper101:

Jabberwock xeno:

Yes and I got in trouble once for playing it too late at night.
Did you play it at night?

TU4AR:

Jabberwock xeno:

TU4AR:
Oh shit I almost forgot

http://www.youshouldnthavedonethat.net/index.php/chapters/

Epic.

*cries*

Sorreh D:

No, it's okay, I love ARG and viral marketing stuff :D

That's what nintendo should do:

- Make asston of money from OoT 3d

- make MM 3d

- Make viral campagin for MM 3d a la Bungie's Iilovebees/iris/everything or cloverfield, or just use the whole ben thing.

- release it, same time in US as japan, it doesn't take 5 months to translate a game that normally has a english language setting anyways.

- profit.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked