Minecraft is the Scariest Game I've Ever Played. Here's why...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I've been playing and recording Minecraft for many months now. I just recently played through Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Dead Space 2 and had a great time. They were both extremely scary games, but were entirely different in the ways they try to scare you. Dead Space was more of a "OMG A MONSTER JUST FELL THROUGH THE CEILING!!", and Amnesia does its best to create an atmosphere where you never feel safe and are always dreading the next room.

But what they lack is what both experiences could gain from using each other's scare tactics, and one very important ingredient...

The looming danger of losing everything you carry with you, and everything you've created.

Minecraft has a dark and lonely world, creatures with unique ways of attacking you, and most importantly the threat of losing everything you've worked so hard for. Add these up and you get a scary experience you have to play to understand. I've screamed more in Minecraft than I have in Dead Space and Amnesia combined.

Here are the many scares and screams I've had over my Minecraft adventure thus far... (720p is a must: watch here)

(bonus vid :)

That was pretty funny actually.

The thing that scared me was in Dragon Age. The FUCKING BROODMOTHER. Did they get H.R Giger to design that freak!?

I laughed out loud when you were a second too late to get your diamonds near the lava... does this make me a bad person?

And yeah, Minecraft definitely is the scariest game I've played.

Oh minecraft, how thy scares be so addicting!

Soviet Heavy:

The thing that scared me was in Dragon Age. The FUCKING BROODMOTHER. Did they get H.R Giger to design that freak!?

Ah yeah. I hate that thing. It's so grotesque.

DustyDrB:

Soviet Heavy:

Ah yeah. I hate that thing. It's so grotesque.

I think it was the monotone narration and the dessicated corpses leading up to it that made it even worse.

When Oghren thinks about that insane dwarf and his wife getting it on, all I can think of is the fucking broodmother speech through the whole thing.

No, but I've played System Shock 2.

Agree'd.
I hate sitting in my 2x3 shelter, hoping that the spider outside my door isn't there to scare me when the sun rises, or hope that I can make it back to my shelter in the minute and a half that I'm allowed, otherwise I'd lose all that Iron I worked so hard to get. Or that the crawlers don't decide that exploding on me is a good thing.

Eventually, I just got tired of being scared out of panties and changed the difficulty to Peaceful. Call me a wuss, but it saves a lot of time in the end.

Haha fun to watch man, good times getting killed over and over again right?

Omgosh, MyselfOverwhelmed is on Escapist? *Fanboy squeal*

*Ahem*. I currently cannot think of any other games, but there probably are. As for being punished on death... Nope, can't think of anything.

I'm gonna go watch the scream video...

EDIT: Just finished watching it. I loved the part with where you fell into the spider dungeon.

Might I ask what episode the TNT explosions are from? I can't remember seeing it in any of the minecraft lets play episodes.

Nah, I can't find Minecraft scary at all. "Punishment" for death wise, I'd nominate Demon's Souls

i do highly agree, partially due to the "graphics", that shit is fucking scary, i haven't gotten minecraft yet, i'm tempted to so i can use it on my laptop between classes, but damn, some of those videos freak me out. (sadly enough, amnesia didn't have too much effect on me..)

the room of angel from silent hill 4 was a nice touch

I had to laff at the "Who brought the creeper down here?" line. Great vid.

The original Thief had levels that were fucking terrifying. I first played when I was twelve and almost shit myself the first time through Cragscleft Mine and Constantine's mansion later on, and I just started replaying it today and it's still pretty damn scary. Excellent use of lighting, ambient noise, and horribly dangerous monsters. Sadly, I have yet to play the sequels, which I hear are even scarier.

But I completely understand the terror that comes with Minecraft. There's such a massive sense of apprehension when you venture into a pitch-black cavern, those few horrible seconds before you place your first torch. Minecraft really needs some friendly NPCs so you know you're not utterly alone in a world of things trying to kill you.

Oh, also: coming around a corner in the Nether, facing a ledge, and having one of the elephant-sized Ghasts rise out of the chasm five feet from my face was the first time i ever actually jumped out of my chair playing a game.

aLivingPheonix:
Omgosh, MyselfOverwhelmed is on Escapist? *Fanboy squeal*

Might I ask what episode the TNT explosions are from? I can't remember seeing it in any of the minecraft lets play episodes.

Been here for a while, recently changed my avatar so you could recognize me :P

It's from the SMP 1.2.3 video.

solidsnake101023:
the room of angel from silent hill 4 was a nice touch

I've been wanting to use it in a montage forever but nothing ever fit it. I believe the lyrics go perfectly with what is happening in this video.

DasDestroyer:
I laughed out loud when you were a second too late to get your diamonds near the lava... does this make me a bad person?

The great part is, the only things I ended up picking up were Redstone, Flint & Steel, Gunpowder, and a Shovel. The four things I hardly ever use. I ended up just throwing myself into the lava...

Ah, I love Room of Angel. Nice touch.

And your video was hilarious. I'll look you up later :3

For my story: first day in a new file. My little shelter I had lacked a door, so I was using dirt blocks. I opened up a block, and a zombie falls down and kills me in four seconds, then the zombie dies from sunlight.

Morrowind is absolutely terrifying sometimes.

Dwemer ruins at a low level are the stuff of nightmares.
Once you get some decent gear and kill your first Dwemer battle sphere (or whatever they're called), then your fears will be alleviated.

The weird thing is, this happens with all of my new characters.

What texture pack are you using in that video?

minecraft is definitely the scariest game i have ever played. i love the horror genre but the things that happen in minecraft are just plain disturbing. building chests substantially reduces the intensity though.

I play Peaceful now (I'm more of a builder than an adventurer... so I tell myself, anyway), for this reason. Cave exploration scares me shitless.

By the way, if this was an elaborate way of advertising your playthroughs... it worked. Colour me intrigued :D

And also: Room of Angel was a fantastic music choice :)

Nice video. =)

The best moment I've had so far playing Minecraft was when I was in a cave and a Creeper dropped down right in front of me and exploded. That was more funny than scary though, I love those guys.

I find the idea of people being scared of Minecraft to be laughably absurd. Yeah, it can startle you when a creeper jumps out of the shadows, but that's not true horror. True horror is something that deeply disturbs you, something that will be unnerving just to think about. A creeper blowing up isn't anything like that.

Oh god, the Nether...

The rest of the Minecraft world is nervewracking at times, but not exactly "scary"... but the damn Nether is just... built, literally, from nightmare fuel. You can tell, cause most of it will CATCH FIRE.

By that standard, Demon's Souls is a scarier game, to me at least. You walk around a dark, desolate world with soulless monsters walking around in hordes and ambushing you at every corner, and if you die you start at the beginning of the level fighting your way to get your souls again. The Tower of Latria has man centipedes and the Valley of Defilement has an area filled with aborted babies that can give you the plague.

Internet Kraken:
I find the idea of people being scared of Minecraft to be laughably absurd. Yeah, it can startle you when a creeper jumps out of the shadows, but that's not true horror. True horror is something that deeply disturbs you, something that will be unnerving just to think about. A creeper blowing up isn't anything like that.

It's surprisingly scary, actually, in a different manner. I remember my first few nights, sheltering in a tiny little hole in the ocean... and hearing things swimming just past.

Now I have a glass house I can shelter in and watch the monsters from (without them seeing me), it's stopped being scary. Fear of the unknown is the worst kind of fear, and if you remove that, the blocky monsters just start to look silly. Now, the entertainment of night time is hoping they wander into my water traps and cackling evilly if they do.

The only thing slightly scary is that I think I might have a cavern just below my glass house. Horrible noises keep echoing up from the ground. I don't have any particular wish to dig down and find out what's making them.

Mine craft can be really scary at times, the noises of a zombie or a spider on the other side of the wall I'm mining freaked me out, I made a new single player level recently, and I found a huge cavern system in the starting area, right near the surface, while it was hard trying to make my way through the area, I am now better off, as I have more iron than I have cobblestone!

I recently downloaded Minecraft and I have to say, it is suprisingly disturbing.

The Shalebridge Cradel in Thief 3 takes the cake for me. Good god that place still creeps me out.

Of course Minecraft ceases to be scary when you remember you have the power to kill every monster on the planet and regenerate health at the press of a button.

Unless you get lost or have a bug that stops you from ever respawning like me.

some mmo's used to have a system that when you died you lost xp.. imagine how scared you were of losing your life when a enemy jumped out at you? you would do anything to not die.. :D

Internet Kraken:

i have yet to play a game that keeps me up at night because i am scared. most horror games only get you with cheap *something jumps out infront of you* and things like that which for a secound startle you. minecraft give you the fear of dying, but that does not scare you when your not playing the game.

That was hilarious man, nice video.

The scariest game I've played is Aliens vs Predator 2 although that is the only horror game I've played.

Soviet Heavy:
The thing that scared me was in Dragon Age. The FUCKING BROODMOTHER.

Oh God! The horror, the horror. Get it out of my head. That has my vote, that and the dwarf's poem made a scary as shit tag team.

Wolf Devastator:
Snip

Funny video, definitely entertaining. If I may ask, what texture pack are you using?

I nearly crapped myself when my house, which was giant and had a forest in it and was in the MIDDLE OF THE OCEAN CAUGHT FIRE! till this day i still don't know how it happened but I made a knew and better house but out of rock.

Yeah, it's a really scary game. I personally hate zombie sounds, they're scary and disturbing - when they get near my house, they just make these noises over and over.

Also, at the beginning, when i thought that all the monsters disappear when the daylight comes, i had two accidents:
1. I come out of my house (seeing no alive mob through the window), and suddenly skeleton starts shooting at me, from a small pocket above my house.
2. This was when i started playing minecraft and didn't even saw a monster once. I was mining coal on some mountain, in a very small (like two blocks) pocket. Suddenly - i heard a new, hissing sound behind my back!
Guess what happened!

Also, gigantic (it takes like three to four journeys to explore and mine everything) cave systems that seem to be created often in my world (and i haven't seen a dungeon - ever!) are all dark and contain tons of every kind of enemies. Scary, especially when there is more than one way to choose, and i never know what's behind my back.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked