Good Table Top Games

Hey, does anybody know any good table top games? I've played DnD for a long time now, but I'm curious what else is out there. Any suggestions?

My group has played many different game systems over the years, a few of which include:
Call of Cthulhu
Paranoia
Conspiracy X
Vampire: Dark Ages (totally different from Masquerade, there's none of the 'repentance' vibe the modern day game forces on it's players)
Werewolf: Dark Ages
Mutants and Masterminds
Cyberpunk
DnD 3.5
Star Wars
and I really can't remember any others off the top of my head. Of that list Call of Cthulhu, Paranoia and Con X are my favourites (hence they sprung to my mind first).

Warhammer fantasy and 40 K by Gamesworkshop are pretty good, imo.

Rogue Trader, the Warhammer 40k game is good too

DnD 4th Edition
Traveller (SciFi RPG)

one of my friends plays a game called Rifts... You can apparently use the rules to make anything you want as a character. one of his players uses a gundam

Dark Heresy by Fantasy Flight games is brilliant. Ability for a canny GM to do pretty much any story they want.

@Grouchy Imp, I've tried Call of Cthulu and Paranoia, they were pretty sweet.

One of my favorites is Shadowrun its cyberpunk with a touch of fantasy. Also it's a lot of fun to roll a mountain of dice to do something.

For board games the ones I really like are:
Tigris and Euphrates
Settlers of Catan
Fury of Dracula
Puerto Rico
Twilight Imperium (This game can take upwards of 10 hours to play through)
Betrayal at the House on the Hill (Great game, probably my favorite on this list)
Power Grid

For more board game suggestions you can check out boardgamegeek.com and thoughthammer.com. The first has tons of reviews and the second also has reviews and really good prices. When I was president of my board gaming club in college we would buy from there.

If you want strategy games I would suggest War hammer as that probably has one of the larger communities to play with. Be warned though, if you want to play 40k or Fantasy you're going to need to drop pretty substantial money, anywhere from $100-$400 to get a 1000-1500 point army which is what most people play with.

For RPGs, stick with D&D 3.5, I'm not much a fan of 4. Depending on the setting you want some other good games are Shadowrun, GURPS and anything by the White Wolf company. For White Wolf I prefer the old rule books which are now out of print, but the new games (Mage: The Awakening, Werewolf: The Forsaken, Vampire: The Requiem and Exalted) are pretty good.

I hope that helps and remember the main thing about ANY game: Have fun!

I personally like Tri-stat(same system used in BESM and Guardians of Order), very simple and allows you to run a game in any genre. You can get a free PDF at http://tristat.wikispaces.com and the books are pretty cheap on amazon.

The other one I like is Yesterdays Tomorrow: Pulp edition, this game plays very different from other table-top games but very fun, I recommend trying it http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=81117.

Unknown Armies is a wonderful tabletop RPG, with some great black humour.

Mouse Guard is a great game for a change of pace, and the system is rather innovative.

Cyberpunk is fun, but combat is absolutely scary; low-level NPCs can kill you by shooting through a wall with an uzi (happened to me). On the plus side, you can do the same to them!

thenoblegaunt:
@Grouchy Imp, I've tried Call of Cthulu and Paranoia, they were pretty sweet.

I'd try getting your group to run a campaign from one of those two, to be fair. They both certainly offer significantly different RP experiences to DnD, which should appeal to your group if that's been your go-to game for a long time. Con X is similar to Cthulhu if you're looking for something you haven't played before, except it's set in modern times and plays like a crossover of Cthulhu and X-Files, with a slight Men in Black undercurrent (although that could just have been our GM).

@rsacks
Loved Puerto Rico

Warhammer is always excellent. I enjoyed it mainly for the painting of the models. I hardly ever actually played the game lol, but all of their stores run gaming days (normally Sat) where 10 people are around a huge tabletop and wrecking shit with their own armies.

If you're planning to stick with d20, Spycraft and Wizards' version of Star Wars were okay (though I'll always prefer West End Games' d6 version of Star Wars). I otherwise don't like d20 for anything but epic fantasy.

If you can track down Eden Studios' Buffy/Angel games, I liked those a lot. I really like Cyberpunk 2020 but the newest edition doesn't appeal to me at all.

If you can get a hold of the books, Morrow Project is pretty cool. Basically you are part of a team that is put into a bolt hole and frozen until after a nuclear war ravages the earth, then your team is supposed to restore humanity. The only problem is you are woken 100 years after the war instead of right after. So mutations have set in and societies have developed in weird ways.

-

Rifts - sci-fi/fantasy crossover. You can really incorporate anything you want into it. Great for GMs with active imaginations who want less rails in the lore. It's combat system even allows for deviation.

Shadowrun - good cyberpunk mix with interesting dynamics.

Twilight 2000 - Fun sci-fi(ish) game based after WW3 takes place. Semi-fallout world just not as apocalyptic as the whole world.

Of those I would pick Rifts personally. I haven't played anything else since playing Rifts except D&D and it can even feel "drab" at times. I have played others but those are the ones that stand out as recommendable. But then again, I like sci-fi as a setting.

Just found this video on some game called Dread. Is it any good.
Here's the link;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRJGJ3Fe0A0

Warhammer, both the 40K and the fantasy ones are great. The lord f the rings one isn't bad either.

Also War Machine is good if you want play something like Warhammer, but can't afford it.
(Expensive bastards)

Seventh sea has always been a fun one as has warhammer 40K (table top without minis) and i hear from friends that world of darkness, shadowrun, call of cthulu, slade industries and deadlands are really fun.
But really it does depend on what you look for in a table top, give some things a go with friends and see what you like.

I'm looking for something that isn't too complicated and handles plots that are less continuous and more episodic if that makes any sense.

Well I'd deffinatly say give Seventh sea a look if you're looking for a complication free but still involving table top, if you've got a good GM they'll give you oppertunities to move round and do whatever you fancy and have a large amount of freedom, also the system is relitivly easy to pick up quickly.

Well I'd deffinatly say give Seventh sea a look if you're looking for a complication free but still involving table top, if you've got a good GM they'll give you oppertunities to move round and do whatever you fancy and have a large amount of freedom, also the system is relitivly easy to pick up quickly.

EDIT sorry double post, damn gremlins

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked