Finding new biomes in Minecraft?

I understand that the Minecraft world is randomly generated and biomes are organized like a patchwork biodome, but I would really like to find a snowy biome for my next construction project. Do the rest of you have any long distance travel tips? Side note- I have a compass, does that point to the same spawn point forever or are there more?

The compass always points to the spawn point. If you head off in one direction you're bound to hit snow at some point but just make sure you can find your way back.
I build shelters in places where they can easily be seen so I know if I am if I get lost.
Throw down some sort of marker so you know where you've been.

All I can suggest is keep creating worlds until you spawn next to snow. I seem to get it all the time, except I don't want it. I'd happily ship it to you if you want...

Other than keeping the draw distance set on far and occasionally making a massive single square dirt tower to be able to get a clear view of everything in the immediate vicinity(then dig back down again), not really.

You could turn the difficulty to peaceful so you don't have an "until nightfall" limit on looking for snow, I guess.

You're best bet it to make beacons to guide your way back should you need too. Build a 1x2 tower until you hit the vertical limit then just dig your way down on one of the sides leaving the 1x1 tower. Do one of these every so often and you should find snow eventually. Putting draw distance at max should help too even if it might make you stutter a bit.

The compass will always point to where you first spawned.

Also: To find a different biome, you just have to keep walking.
The world generates as you explore, so you will eventually find several different biomes.

Bring some wood, some stone, a couple pickaxes, and a bunch (like, "shit how many torches do I need?" bunch) of torches with you. Just leave a trail of torches behind you, and every night lay down the stone, build a little tower out of the wood, encircle it with torches, and spend the night being scared shitless. Come day, disassemble and continue.

Well, every now and then i leave sky-high lava towers with arrow shaped blocks pointing at the direction of latest tower (or base, if nearby). If you lack lava, then when you will find the next underground lava river when mining near your home, dig straight up to the surface, place ladders in the tunnel, and here you go - easy source of infinite lava.

Though when i was first searching for the winter biome, i used clouds movement as a compass - they always head in one direction.

Also, i always travel by water - when night comes, i just stop the boat far enough from land for monsters not to see me.

Just hit F3 while you are in-game, and a bunch of information will pop up. You should see some coordinates marked as X, Y, and then Z. Just write down the X and Z coordinates, and freely explore.

As long as you know the coordinates, you don't need to bother with bringing building materials or anything if you don't want to. Once you are done exploring, just bring the coordinates back up and head home.

I suggest not bringing anything with you, because if you don't find what you want once you are finished exploring, you can just die and re-spawn at your original location. Do not do this without sleeping in a bed where you want your home to be.

I find this method a lot easier than having to build tall towers that just mar the landscape in my eyes.

I always build a dirt/sand pillar beside water, stick a torch on one side pointing the direction back home then jump off into the water and go on my merry way. Lets me get a lay of the land, too.

Also go through this to look for a seed you might like: http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum/50-seeds/

Please consult this handy flowchart:

............Walk in a random direction
................................|
................................|
.......Did you find a Snow Biome?<--
................................|....................................|
...................------------------.....................|
...................|...........................|.....................|
................Yes.....................No...................|
...................|...........................|.....................|
..............Good..........Keep Walking---/

Reply to Thread