Self-Imposed Game Challenges

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Does anyone ever place challenges on themselves that the game doesn't? I have two that I'm trying right now:

In Halo: Reach, I'm trying to see how far I can get without firing a bullet. I almost have to hold my controller sideways to keep my fingers away from the trigger button but I got through the first mission without shooting anything so I'm pleased.

In Pokemon Fire Red I'm trying to get through the entire game with the first 6 pokemon caught (i know some people have beat the game with only one pokemon but only using the first 6 is a big deal to me). There are some notable holes in my team but I'm hopeful that Spearow, Mankey, Caterpie (now a Butterfree), Nidoran (now a Nidorino), Rattata, and Bulbasaur will carry me far.

Those are the only two I have on me right now, so what challenges do you guys give yourselves that the game doesn't?

A long time ago I got through the entirety of Silent Hill 2 without firing a shot. That was pretty difficult.

To deafeat strong enemies in difficult ways so i can save part of them as a trophy

I've beaten Zelda games with only three hearts,

and the Nuzlock challenge in Pokemon which is kinda like what your doing except with more rules.

In Starcraft 2 I tried to get through some of the missions where you command a small squad of troops without losing any of them. I saved frequently and loaded my last save if I lost one, it's a bit stupid really, and not all that difficult when you save before a big fight. I can't think of anything else I do.

AC: Brotherhood. Get through without buying armor. Got close. I couldn't stand the way Ezio looked after a while, because leather armor and an ebony cloak do not match, so I upgraded to metal to it would look better. Appearance-wise, changed a lot. Gameplay, not so much, only about 2 more health squares. Also, I only used a few weapons, none of which were very good. It was the Captain's Sword as my primary, and the Dagger as my short. Also, didn't buy the crossbow. Pretty different experience for me.

Crime Free GTA IV

http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/933037-grand-theft-auto-iv/faqs/53480

Holy shit...I can't imagine even trying that. I mean, he admits that some crime in unavoidable, at least. But he really makes an effort to minimize it.

As for one I'm doing or have done...

Telekinesis-Only Bioshock. Surprisingly do-able. And effective.

Big Daddy are nearly impossible, though. Lots of running and corpse tossing.

I try to catch all legendary Pokemon in a version without using the Masterball. It can be chalanging but it works and I even caught Arceus with an ultraball. Another one is in FFVI do not use any of the special abilities, only attack, magic, and items.

I'm playing Minecraft, so yes I am. Find x diamonds, make a tower/castle/etc.

Rainbow 6 Raven Shield without using primary weapons, just using pistols, or trying to use sniper rifles/shotguns for everyone.

In civilization V I tried to destroy all 5 other civilizations without inventing the wheel.

I'm doing a Pokemon nuzlocke on Emerald. It's where you can only catch the first Pokemon you see in an area and if one of your team faints, it's dead and has to be released
I tried doing a solo run on Dragon Age a while back, I don't think I finished it. Was very tedious

I do this sort of thing all the time...
From Fallout 1 to Fallout: New Vegas- never spend caps (or money, in Fallout 2), only trade loot. In every trade, my caps have to stay the same or increase. Additionally for some (stealthy) characters in 3 and New Vegas: No armor heavier or more damage resistant than merc outfits.

In Final Fantasy games (and Chrono Trigger)... never spend gold/gil/whatever unless required by the storyline to do so. No shops, no inns, nothing. I pretty much always play like that now.

Eh in the day,
NES Zelda 1 beat with never getting a sword or rings.
Metroid beat it with a short freeze beam and not killing mini bosses

Would do a mini hardcore challenge on Castlevaina and Ninja Gaiden to only beat them in one life. Ya die, reset.

Civ games I'd do odd things like never get better than a pike man.

Modern warfare, do a entire stage with pistol/knife.

All in fun.

Dead Rising-Beat the game with no firearms(much easier than I thought)

Red Alert 3-Beat a Skirmish enemy on the highest difficulty with only infantry.

Pokemon Red-Beat the game without ever evolving any of my pokemon.

Minecraft-Stop playing Minecraft.

I have only done three. Can you guess which one I can't do?

I do this all the time in racing sims.

Gran Turismo/ Gran Turismo 2- get as close to 100% completion as possible using only Hondas. I managed to pass all races in GT1, but GT2 had so many events that were car specific I only managed 34% in GT2, though I did get to the ending movie. The rally events were hard to pass with only an Accord Wagon.

No drivetrain swaps or adjustable aero in Forza 3 (also FM2). I finished FM2 this way, but got bored with FM3 when I got to the race cars. I prefer production cars. I might go back to it... maybe.

Half-Life 2 on hard without dying.

Completing Postal 2 without hurting anyone.

Catnip was needed.

One I tried to do was play Resident Evil 4 as if Leon were HUNK. TMP and grenades only. It was interesting.

Probably my most challenging obstacle in a self-imposed thing, though, was trying to beat Tales of Symphonia from a fresh file, trying to maximize titles obtained in the first playthrough. Do you know how bloody hard it is to not use any gels (HP/MP restoration) in or out of battle (up until a certain boss) while the enemies all have 1.5x HP and stats (for at least 256 battles), while not letting your party members die (up until a certain boss)? Then I realized that I couldn't upgrade my main character's weapon for the first... eh, 8-10 hours to get another title, so I had to restart. Oh yes, and about 2/3 of the way through the game, you get a title if your combined party level is less than 145, but by then I'm usually at about 170-180 (party of 4). And don't forget the title for opening every single treasure chest in the game, some in areas where you can't go back if you miss them.

Ugggh. Every other title you can get on your first playthrough is easy, but so many challenges to optimize my number of runs for a 100% file.

Fallout 3 kill a behemoth mutant with bare hands

There's always you'r good old Thief III without killing anyone, i want to do it without being seen though. Then there are the 2 for Hitman, kill everyone or only ever kill my objective. I also want to do that without getting seen but i remember one mission in particular where that may not be possible. And by seen i mean attacked, identified as a threat, that sort of thing.

Oh i forgot one that'd be a lot of fun. Win a fight in advance wars using only infantry and mechs(and anti air if theres an air field (don't forget apcs and transport choppers though)). I'm not above using Sami as my commander though.

Screw it, lets just say without tanks, bombers, battleships, and artillery to simplify this thing. Choppers are iffy

Ghosting any level in Thief or playing the Lytha way provide vastly different experiences. I've done some of the levels, and for the most part enjoyed it. Others seem like they would be an exercise in frustration.

In Rainbow Six Vegas 2 I try to get positive K/D ratio with only a Glock on single shot. Oddly I succeed fairly regularly.

I beat rainbow six 3 with just one guy with a sniper rifle and a pistol. I.e. the same loadout for every mission.

Edit: WA2000 and h&k mark 23 FTW

How the hell did somebody beat Pokemon Red with only one pokemon? :O

OT: I managed to get a fair way through Uncharted 2 without using any guns.

georgesell123:

Grinding. Lots and Lots of grinding.

StealthyNinja:
I'm doing a Pokemon nuzlocke on Emerald. It's where you can only catch the first Pokemon you see in an area and if one of your team faints, it's dead and has to be released

Generally this. I enjoy doing them, although the only one I've actually Won was one of Blue I did where I nicknamed all the pokemon after US Presidents.

theonlyblaze2:

That's actually about the only way you can do it. What makes Brutal so hard is it has a cheat where it gets double income compared to you, so if the match lasts long enough that your starting credits expire, chances are you're screwed lol.

Actually, that was my personal challenge: beat a Brutal enemy of each faction as each faction (ie: win 9 games). I succeeded! :D

georgesell123:

1. Capture a Nidoking/queen ASAP (the unevolved equivalent i mean)
2. Grind awayyyyyyyyyy

Beat Pokemon Yellow twice with that stratagy XD

Stammer:

theonlyblaze2:

That's actually about the only way you can do it. What makes Brutal so hard is it has a cheat where it gets double income compared to you, so if the match lasts long enough that your starting credits expire, chances are you're screwed lol.

Actually, that was my personal challenge: beat a Brutal enemy of each faction as each faction (ie: win 9 games). I succeeded! :D

It was more of a personal challenge because I a terrible with infantry. I smash with aircraft, though.

Me and my 2 friends are insanely hardcore Fallout 3 players. We've each logged over 300 hours in it, and we all decided to have a playthrough we called the 'purist playthrough'. What we did was, we each flipped for a karma, and we each had a separate karma (I was neutral), you had to maintain that karma the whole game, you could not fast travel, you could not reload a save unless you did it because of a glitch in the game or because you had to turn off the console, and if you died, that was the end of your game. It was a race to finish as many quests as we could, beat the game, and become level 30 first. Needless to say, it was a nice restriction we put on ourselves, and it brought new life to the game. If you were a fan of Fallout 3, give that style of game a chance with a couple of your friends (we did a LAN party so we could monitor eachother), and add your own rules to it too!

I always like playing Parasite Eve 2 and only using weapons/armour/ammo that you found or were given. No buying anything.

Your starting gun and Kyle's gun with light were surprisingly effective

Play Saints Row 2 as Gabe Newell.

I am still in prison clothes because all money instantly goes towards food.
*And half life 3 delayed another three months*

Bomberman4000:
Does anyone ever place challenges on themselves that the game doesn't? I have two that I'm trying right now:

In Halo: Reach, I'm trying to see how far I can get without firing a bullet. I almost have to hold my controller sideways to keep my fingers away from the trigger button but I got through the first mission without shooting anything so I'm pleased.

In Pokemon Fire Red I'm trying to get through the entire game with the first 6 pokemon caught (i know some people have beat the game with only one pokemon but only using the first 6 is a big deal to me). There are some notable holes in my team but I'm hopeful that Spearow, Mankey, Caterpie (now a Butterfree), Nidoran (now a Nidorino), Rattata, and Bulbasaur will carry me far.

Those are the only two I have on me right now, so what challenges do you guys give yourselves that the game doesn't?

I, quite unknowingly, kept doing one of these purported 'hard challenges' in the original pokemon games by using only my starting pokemon.

Play Saints Row 2 wearing no clothes.

The Wykydtron:

georgesell123:

1. Capture a Nidoking/queen ASAP (the unevolved equivalent i mean)
2. Grind awayyyyyyyyyy

Beat Pokemon Yellow twice with that stratagy XD

..Give Squirtle Ice Beam. Slaughters Dragon and Grass. Surf, Hdryopump and Bite are enough to handle everything else.

Also, Charizard.

Just Charizard as he is.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked