Is it wrong to be this attached to game characters? (Mass Effect)

I finally got around to playing the masterpiece that is Mass Effect 2, and I noticed something about myself. I cared about each and every crew member in their own way(Especially Miranda and Garrus). Cared so much, in fact, that I was extremely nervous about the "suicide" mission, and I practically cheered when everyone in my crew survived. I know that this was Bioware's intention, but I was treating my shipmates like they were my best friends, and I had known them all my life.

This felt odd to me, as I had never experienced this in a film before, or any other media. I suppose that in games, YOU are interacting with them, not watching some braindead hero save the galaxy...again. Tell me...have you experienced this emotional attachment? Not just in Mass Effect, mind you.

Not to such a degree as you, but sure.

I generally only like Mordin, Samara, and Tali in 2...

Garrus wasn't the same Garrus I knew and loved from 1, so I didn't really care about him, even.

Honestly though? If it wasn't for the achievements, and save importing, I wouldn't bother saving all of my teammates in 2 purely because of "emotional investment".

Seriously. Is anyone planning to carry over a save with DEAD characters to 3? ANYONE?

Edit: Y'all are crazy. Carrying over dead people saves, when it's so easy to make everyone survive.

Onyx Oblivion:

Garrus wasn't the same Garrus I knew and loved from 1, so I didn't really care about him, even.

Honestly though? If it wasn't for the achievements, and save importing, I wouldn't bother saving all of my teammates in 2 purely because of "emotional investment".

Seriously. Is anyone planning to carry over a save with DEAD characters to 3? ANYONE?

Good point. They even labeled the final mission "suicide mission" so that players know that they can always just load their save. Which kind of sucks.

No, I'm sure it's perfectly normal to get attached to the crew.

Onyx Oblivion:

Yes, just to see what the game is like with a dead Shepard and crew ending in ME2. I wonder what BioWare's going to do in that situtation.

Onyx Oblivion:

I might kill off a character I care about, just to make it more emotionally resonant with me. I'm not sure who, though, or how. It might be Tali.

OP, of course you got attached to Miranda :)

OT: It's not strange that you can get attached to certain (Mass Effect) game characters, especially if they are very well written and developed.

Undead Dragon King:
No, I'm sure it's perfectly normal to get attached to the crew.

Onyx Oblivion:

Yes, just to see what the game is like with a dead Shepard and crew ending in ME2. I wonder what BioWare's going to do in that situtation.

Say "fuck you", and make you replay 2 and survive, I assume.

You boot up ME3, import a dead Shepard...And it just goes "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH. Replay 2 again, or just start a non-import game."

Never done that myself.

This applies for a lot of other things as well: It's not wrong as long as no other people or aspects of your life suffer, and you know it's not actually real.

I don't think it's wrong. I do get attached to characters in games. I think it's a really good game when I care about a digital death.

Mordin died on one of my later playthroughs, and even thought I had played the ending like, ten times by then, I had to redo it once more. Mordin can't die. He's too awesome.

Onyx Oblivion:

Jack doesn't need to come back imo. If I could make sure she died and no one else, I'd do it.

Onyx Oblivion:

I am, specifically my first playthrough of Mass Effect 2 where I lost Thane and Grunt. What's the point of carrying over a saved game if you don't want to carry your mistakes as well?

I became very attached to all the characters, except Miranda. A nice arse doesn't make her any more sympathetic.

Onyx Oblivion:

If Shepard dies. Yes. I've been trying to get that ending. Or Jacob. That would be nice. Or Thane...hm. Or make Shepard the only survivor.

I definitely didn't get attached to the ones in Mass Effect. At all...not even Shepard, oddly enough. It has happened before in other games (NWN 2 comes to mind).

Am I the only that read the notification that said that if Shepard dies in Mass Effect 2 you can't carry over your save?

The only person on my team I don't like is Jack. That's not to say I don't feel sorry for what she went through, and i'm sympithic towards her, and understand why she became the way she is, but i still don't like the person she's became, and the fact that, it doesn't seem like i can help her, just puts me off. Don't get me wrong, i still keep her alive, and have even romanced her ONCE, just to see if i can make any progress in ME3 with her, but, I'm not realy holding out much hope. *shrug*

And, people will prolly hate me for this, but, I've always found Katsumi kind of... boring. I dont' dislike her, but, she's boring. And forgetable.

Other then them 2, I really like each of my other crew mates for different reasons.

You are experiencing immersion my friend, and yes, Mass Effect 2 (and most Bioware titles) do an exquisite job in this regard. I myself sat at the edge of my seat biting my nails for the entirety of the suicide mission. Not many other games have been able to deliver that degree of attachment or immersion, but there are others out there... I know it... its just too early for my brain to be functioning properly D:

How could you not love her?

Mass Effect is one of those rare games that causes this, though the most powerful of this I've ever felt came from a TV show. But no, it's normal.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked