mine craft "seed for world generater"?

what does that mean?

whats it for?

and what are my options of putting in there?

MDAWG909:
what does that mean?

The worlds in Minecraft are procedurally generated. What this means is that instead of completely randomizing things, it starts with one set of values, and builds everything from them, like a fractal. Most games like this don't give the user any control over the seed, but Minecraft actually lets the player type something in and see what it generates. This has the benefit of allowing players who find a good seed to spread it around, and let more than just one person to play on it, while also avoiding the problem that games like Elite had, where the world was procedurally generated, but there was only one gameworld to explore; once you had done everything, there was no way to start over with a new seed.

I know typing in gargamel make the world all cliffy.

theonlyblaze2:

Absolutely beautiful world, once you get over the terror of spawning in a cave

Owyn_Merrilin:

MDAWG909:
what does that mean?

The worlds in Minecraft are procedurally generated. What this means is that instead of completely randomizing things, it starts with one set of values, and builds everything from them, like a fractal. Most games like this don't give the user any control over the seed, but Minecraft actually lets the player type something in and see what it generates. This has the benefit of allowing players who find a good seed to spread it around, and let more than just one person to play on it, while also avoiding the problem that games like Elite had, where the world was procedurally generated, but there was only one gameworld to explore; once you had done everything, there was no way to start over with a new seed.

Its a bit more complex then that. I think that certain numbers/letters are suppose to represent certain block types and resources, as I have heard about this one seed that resulted in a world where gold could almost always be found simply by digging a bit under some sand.

Hardcore_gamer:

Owyn_Merrilin:

MDAWG909:
what does that mean?

Its a bit more complex then that. I think that certain numbers/letters are suppose to represent certain block types and resources, as I have heard about this one seed that resulted in a world where gold could almost always be found simply by digging a bit under some sand.

That's getting into the implementation, which I don't know much about, not owning the game. Really basic procedural generation would be like the fibbonaci sequence, in which each number is added to the number before it (i.e., 1,1,2,3,5,8, and so on.) Minecraft's implementation is almost certainly more complex than that, but it works under the same basic idea; if you change the seed, you change the whole string.

Owyn_Merrilin:

MDAWG909:
what does that mean?

tl;dr you make the same map if you type in the same thing for the seed
if you leave it blank it just puts the system time in there, so two maps started within the same second on the same day of the same month of the same year will be identical to eachother

Hardcore_gamer:

Owyn_Merrilin:

MDAWG909:
what does that mean?

You put in a seed, because a computer can't make random things, it can only make things appear random. So you put in a seed, and it works something out from there, if you leave it blank it will just pick a random seed. That's the simple way of telling it.

SammiYin:

theonlyblaze2:

Gorgeous. It also got me generating Smurf related worlds. Smurfberry was really the only good one. Funny enough, Smurfette's Tits is really, really flat.

Does anyone know how to share a world that wasn't generated with the manual world seeder? I have this INCREDIBLE mountain area I want to show.

Mesca:

SammiYin:

theonlyblaze2:

Gorgeous. It also got me generating Smurf related worlds. Smurfberry was really the only good one. Funny enough, Smurfette's Tits is really, really flat.

Does anyone know how to share a world that wasn't generated with the manual world seeder? I have this INCREDIBLE mountain area I want to show.

Take the world file from your Minecraft location and post it on to the internet to download. It's the only way.

Anyways, I propose we all start playing with the seeds and post our favorites.

I'm not sure how it works, but what I do know is that it brought up a funny way to be competitive.

Get two players, both generate a world off of the same seed, set a goal, and the first person to reach that goal wins.

There's an absolutely massive thread on this at minecraftforums.net

The seed is the "number" of the world that is generated. Same seed equals same world, letters you put into that field are converted into numbers.

This feature basically allows you to share your inital world with other people.
Check out this blog:
http://www.minecraftseeds.info/

I put 15 an i got the best map ever, IT looks like a there was a huge earthquake and on a part is land sky high then there is this awesome rip in the ground.

Whoolpurse:

You put in a seed, because a computer can't make random things, it can only make things appear random. So you put in a seed, and it works something out from there, if you leave it blank it will just pick a random seed. That's the simple way of telling it.

This generally is not how it works. If one is trying to generate a random number you generally take the clock time each time your random function is called as a seed value. This is because a computer is just a universal computational device. There is no computation that yields a random number in the literal sense but there are plenty of them that generate a set of numbers where it is relatively unlikely that any particular number is a generated set is the same as another.

That said, without explicit knowledge of how the procedural generator works, I can only take a stab at it. Basically, by being procedural, it simply says that you generate something based upon a finite series of unambiguous rules. As an example, say you have a block of granite (I don't play minecraft either so if I make up a block that doesn't exist, that is why). This block is, of course a cube and thus will have 26 blocks surrounding it. In order to generate these blocks I might use a set of rules that say something like this:

60% chance new block is granite
5% chance new block is gold
15% chance new block is sand.
20% chance of obsidian

We could further refine this by asserting that, once a block has additional blocks surrounding it, our chances are further modified, perhaps using rules like:

For each surrounding granite block the chance of the new block also being granite increases by 3% and the chance of sand is reduced by 3%.

A system of rules (far more than these, obviously) would allow one to create a varying world space. The quality of that world space is largely dependent upon how well these rules work together. However, these rules all require that we start with some base block. This could, of course, be generated on a purely random basis (each block has an equal chance of spawning) or a weighted probability (some blocks are more likely to spawn than others).

The seed phrase is likely used indirectly to generate the first block. Rather than ensuring a random selection, it is likely that some algorithm is used to convert this phrase into something else (for example, the sum of the value of each character divided by total number of characters for something simple). This could then equal an index of an array that tells us what the starting block is. This would ensure that, for any particular seed phrase we always generate the same starting block. If random chance were taken out of the equation when generating additional blocks and instead blocks formed in particular formations and the like, we could easily ensure that any particular seed phrase generated a particular world formation.

The seed Minecraft makes a pretty good world, I had a list somewhere but i've lost it xd.
If I find/remember any good ones i'l make a note for people :)

I know if you type 404 as the seed there will be some gravel by the spawn surrounded by a small desert and a few cacti (may take 2 - 3 tries to get the correct spawn) and if you break the gravel it collapses into a huge cave that reaches all the way down to the bed rock.

Glacier makes quite a hilly environment.

I might edit more into my post tomorrow.

Also a quick note about the spawning system with seeds: some people say that when you type a seed in you will always spawn in a different place, this is kind of true, there are about 4 - 5 set spawn points on none random maps which are very close to each other and you will get one of these spawns picked at random for you, just try the 404 thing if you don't believe me.

Strange, I never knew about this since my world is from before there were seeds.

Just made a new one called "sturmd" and it spawns me beside a group of eerie Jack o'Lanterns... Pretty awesome and fun to play with!

The best seed world I have found for myself is Archie, makes a fantastic world with a huge flat cliff that extends forever, aswell as a pretty epic waterfall and some great mountains out past the cliff.

Was about to take screenshots but my minecraft crashed.

Yay for Archie :3

try "procrastination"

I just tried that on a whim and WHAM, giant cliffy desert.

Type in "404" for the world seed and then go to the nearby chunk of gravel by the lake and take a few blocks off.

Enjoy!

Everyone should take their captchas and use it as a seed for the world generator.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked