72.5% (487)
72.5% (487)
Tie
6.5% (44)
6.5% (44)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: GW2 vs WoW, who will win?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

I know there are a lot of die hard WoW fans out there, but WoW (at least in my eyes) is kinda dull. It's' travel to point X kill this many (insert name of enemies here), and you either go raiding for gear to do MORE raiding or grinding(grind is the bane of gaming!). I know there are some out there that will argue against me, but it's just what I believe. I play Guild Wars and I'm excited for Guild Wars 2! I think it has a chance of taking down WoW, if not that than at least being able to have an equal amount of players as WoW. Now, before you decide to crucify Guild Wars 2, PLEASE look at the website(guildwars2.com) and gameinformer.com, it has some serious potential, innovation, and beauty(GOD it's beautiful!). So will GW2 be the fabled WoW killer, will WoW still reign supreme, or will it be a draw between the two games?

If you are unaware of the differences between WoW and GW2 please check the website below:

http://www.killtenrats.com/2011/01/14/world-of-warcraft-players-guide-to-guild-wars-2/

Vote GW2, WoW, tie and say why.

I say Guild Wars 2, first one was great but I got a little frustrated at the level 20 level cap. Anet said the cap would be raised, the archetype healer-class is being removed in favor of set healer abilities(in other words, every class can heal themselves and do not need a healer, they have a set healer skill making it easier to build teams), the game looks BEAUTIFUL, you can interact with the environment in some pretty dynamic ways, and the races are pretty cool as well as the lore and story behind it.

Nothing in the near future will be able to beat WoW with it's 12 million accounts. Beating that would be truly remarkable.

NoseDigger:
Nothing will be able to beat WoW with it's 12 million accounts.

You're not even tired of it?

I can't really check out the Guild Wars 2 site right now, it's blocked by work access. But here's why I think WoW is that unkillable beheamoth at the moment:

It's so easy to get into now. Last time I played WoW was pre-Burning Crusade and I hated it. I couldn't take the commitment and so I gave up. Fast forward to 2010 and I started playing again in time for Cataclysm and immediately found my footing. Is it age that has made this difference or the game changing?

A big factor too is that WoW has a large, decoted player base. A lot of people play WoW and have made friends on there who play WoW. A lot of people have spent a LOT of money in subscriptions and expansions and merchandise for WoW. Why would they want to give that up? Once you're into WoW it's hard to get out of, not because it's really fun (though it is) and addicting (it isn't) but because people have poured ungodly amounts of time into their characters and don't want to see that wasted.

Let's face it, who plays multiple MMOs?

Rest assured I will visit the Guild Wars 2 website at home though and will get back to this post to give a less biased opinion.

Will Guild Wars 2 get that many millions of subscribers? Probably not, no. That said, I really hope something happens to WoW to make a lot of players quit playing it. For the sake of healthy competition in the MMO market.

The real winner will be the one that people will still actively play for years to come.

Seeing how World of Warcraft has been alive for six years and is still going strong, I don't see it going down easily, mostly cause it's been established as a comfort zone. Guild Wars never was a WoW killer, and I doubt it will be this time around either. There's no reason to undergo a change.

No contest pretty much. MMO is pretty much a dead genre thanks to WoW and it'll keep on being that until they stop trying to work with the same basis and instead do a different kind of MMO. Sadly there are alot of devs who fail to realize this.

While I do wish something else came out on top, it simply wont happen, WoW is a name you can't take on anymore.

Hectix777:

NoseDigger:
Nothing will be able to beat WoW with it's 12 million accounts.

You're not even tired of it?

I've had a short stint with both (friends' accounts) and they both started to bore me after a while. Granted, WoW faster than GW. It may be better, but there are just too many dedicated players in WoW.

P.S., I'm not much of an MMO person, only one I stuck with for a while was Eve.

Who will win WHAT ?

WoW will continue to be a success but will probably cease to be as influential, its done its fair share, its an old game by now and can't bring much new things to the genre. Guild Wars 2 will take that role, at least until Titan comes along.

I hate WoW for various reason but the 12 million players is kinda the weighing point here. Not saying that Guild Wars won't get a lot of subscribers, but you can't compare it to a game that has been improved for over 7 years.

Umm to be honest anybody playing WoW now would be amiss to ignore guild wars 2 considering theres no subs. And it claims to be breaking the mmo rules that annoy everyone (like grinding).

Hectix777:
(grind is the bane of gaming!)

In an FPS, you kill enemies to advance. There is no different playstyle.

In an RTS, you build your base, build you army, and kill the enemy base/army.

In a racing sim, you build up your car, and race other cars around a track in order to unlock more upgrades.

In a Zelda game, you go to a dungeon, find the weapon used to solve nearly all of the puzzles/kill the boss in that dungeon, whilst collecting keys, maps, and a compass, and then move on to the next dungeon to do the same thing over again.

In a hack'n'slash, you kill hordes of enemies to advance through the levels, usually ending up using one or two moves over and over again.

In a puzzle game, you solve puzzles again and again to advance.

In an RPG, you level up my gaining experience via doing quests, killing monsters, or, in the case of some MMO's, killing other players in PvP.

In a game such as the Sims, you wake your Sim up, have it do its everyday work, and put it to bed.

In an Adventure game (a la Kings Quest), you click on everything in every frame and use every single item on everything until something works to help you to advance.

All of these are examples of grind in games. All of them require you to do pretty much the same thing again and again in order to advance any farther in the game. So, what I think you mean (Which will turn your whole argument around, not that there really was one to begin with seeing as WoW and Guild Wars are two MMOs on the absolute opposite side of the spectrum) is that grind is the base of gaming. Every game incorporates some sort of grind in some way or another.

GW2 has even less of a chance than TOR and TOR doesn't stand any chance of beating WOW.

Without a subscription fee, the game also won't be nearly as profitable. I wouldn'd want to see GW2 to fail though and I hope they manage to scrape by, but forget about killing WOW.

Carbo:
No contest pretty much. MMO is pretty much a dead genre thanks to WoW and it'll keep on being that until they stop trying to work with the same basis and instead do a different kind of MMO. Sadly there are alot of devs who fail to realize this.

The thing that makes me laugh is that the only people trying to make an MMO that is completely different than WoW so there is no competition is Blizzard.

World of Starcraft would "kill" both, i think (im more of a Sci-fi fan, fantasy-magic isnt my thing)

Otherwise, Wow is already out and strong. Not GW2 (afaik) but GW2's gameplay seem to be more advanced.. in theory.

Lets wait and see.

You're kidding, right? Why is it than anytime ANY new MMO comes out, there's a post like this asking "will this be the WoW-killer"?

The answer is, as it has been the last 50,000 times, "no". No, Guild Wars 2 will not equal WoW in subscribers or revenue or longevity. It won't even come close.

Neither!! I'm with TERA.

All the babes and boobs (Drool)

WoW sucks monkey asses, but it's far too successful to be defeated by a new MMO.

The MMO market is already pretty much done. Either you like WoW or you like other MMO's. If you like MMO's and you haven't at least tried WoW to see if you like it or not then you're screwed. And really, if you do like WoW chances are you're not going to like any other game.

No other game is as pandering, simple, and easy to get into. It's literally the Nintendo Wii of the MMORPG market. It's for casuals and hardcore fanboys. And nothing is going to pull them away from it.

I, however, am really excited for Guild Wars II. I know it's going to do well, but I stand by my thoughts that it will NOT be a WoW-killer. Besides, I don't want it to be one anyway-- that's all I need is a good game to be ruined by the same community that ruined WoW.

who ever wins... we lose.

GW2 hands down. The shear amount of innovation, attention to detail, and good design sense put into the game so far already dwarfs WoW. If you haven't checked out their mountain of info you really should. The only problem is GW2's lack of a release date, but once it actually comes out, it will probably take a large share of the MMO market, though WoW will likely always exist and continue to be profitable for years to come.

While I'd love to believe GW2 could stop the crap spewing money maker that is WoW...

It just wont happen. I mean seriously. This is like putting a large wall in front of a tank. We might slow the bugger down, but we wont stop it til it runs out of gas.

Hectix777:
I know there are a lot of die hard WoW fans out there, but WoW (at least in my eyes) is kinda dull. It's' travel to point X kill this many (insert name of enemies here), and you either go raiding for gear to do MORE raiding or grinding(grind is the bane of gaming!). I know there are some out there that will argue against me, but it's just what I believe. I play Guild Wars and I'm excited for Guild Wars 2! I think it has a chance of taking down WoW, if not that than at least being able to have an equal amount of players as WoW. Now, before you decide to crucify Guild Wars 2, PLEASE look at the website(guildwars2.com) and gameinformer.com, it has some serious potential, innovation, and beauty(GOD it's beautiful!). So will GW2 be the fabled WoW killer, will WoW still reign supreme, or will it be a draw between the two games?

Wow doesn't use fun gameplay to get it's players addicted like guild wars 2 plans to, they use science to get players to do something they know they hate.
Link:http://www.cracked.com/article_18461_5-creepy-ways-video-games-are-trying-to-get-you-addicted.html

That should answer all your questions as to why wow is so popular.

As for guild wars 2, well it will most certainly win the competition of being more fun (from what I can see) but I don't know so much about winning with most amount of subscribers as wow has been around for quite a while, giving the devs plenty of time to perfect their "science" of getting people addicted.

Also let's not forget that there are gonna be other mmos coming out this year which will also be a great alternative to wow but they are taking potential subscribers away from guild wars 2 just as much as they are taking away from wow. What i'm saying is that not all of the people looking for an alternative mmo are gonna go for guild wars 2 as terra online and starwars: the old republic seem to be just as enticing to purchase.

It took wow years to get where it is today, it is unlikely that a single mmo will instantly top what it took blizzard years to perfect, but luckily, blizzard will have some serious competition this year for once. :D

Sovereignty:
While I'd love to believe GW2 could stop the crap spewing money maker that is WoW...

It just wont happen. I mean seriously. This is like putting a large wall in front of a tank. We might slow the bugger down, but we wont stop it til it runs out of gas.

What if we have more than just one wall?

Carbo:
The real winner will be the one that people will still actively play for years to come.

Seeing how World of Warcraft has been alive for six years and is still going strong, I don't see it going down easily, mostly cause it's been established as a comfort zone. Guild Wars never was a WoW killer, and I doubt it will be this time around either. There's no reason to undergo a change.

Never know? In a sense, WoW is like a dynasty. Started of well, built up players, I'm pretty sure it has hit the max players it can have, and i calculate a decline(not like rollercoaster, but more of a trickle that grows over time) somewhere in the near future. Because as you said, people put a lot of money and time into it to turn away, but than it comes to that $15 monthly subscription fee(I know that there are options to buy it for 2 months or a year for less than expected, i don't wanna do the math) but let me run this by you for a second.

Okay, November 2011: A fresh face to the MMO world walks into a Gamestop the day Guild Wars 2 comes out and WoW has capped on the player pop. For Guild Wars pay $49.99 and done, no subscriptions, but if he buys WoW it will cost him $49.99 plus $15 a month coming out to $214.99 for a year. Which one do you think he's gonna buy?

I don't think that GW2 will be a threat to WoW, but I'll be playing both when GW2 comes out.

Otec:
GW2 hands down. The shear amount of innovation, attention to detail, and good design sense put into the game so far already dwarfs WoW. If you haven't checked out their mountain of info you really should. The only problem is GW2's lack of a release date, but once it actually comes out, it will probably take a large share of the MMO market, though WoW will likely always exist and continue to be profitable for years to come.

They're in the middle of Alpha and Beta testing, I expect release in 2011 Q4 maybe November

Guild Wars 2 will eventually win. Why? because they're not directly competing against each other anymore. GW2 offers a new and distinct experience compared to WoW. GW2 is B2P, meaning players now CAN play both at the same time without penalty (except lost time). GW2 is just now beginning its life cycle. Warcraft, on the other hand, is aging and will eventually retire (as all great games do at some point). At this point, WoW stepping down is an inevitability. The question is: to whom will it abdicate? I'd say GW2 is a front runner. (although Blizzard will want us to switch over to their new MMORPG when the time comes).

People will only press the buttons inside their Skinner Box for so long...

Probably won't be a tie, and GW2 probably won't get more players than WoW.

This does not mean one will "win" and the other will "lose", there's plenty of room for competition.

I don't see why people expect a new MMO to either kill or be killed by WoW, do you dismiss all shooters because "they won't outsell CoD"?.

I played WoW for a while, got tired of it. Rift and GW2 look interesting, but I'm not sure I want to get sucked into that whole thing again.

Hectix777:

Becuse it is such a silly question i will ignore the "is it a wow killer" comment and instead ask this. If it was up to you, if you were in a position to be the ultimate decider, what would you WANT to happen if you could make it so? would you WANT guildwars 2 to be a wow killer?

Gxas:

Hectix777:
(grind is the bane of gaming!)

In an FPS, you kill enemies to advance. There is no different playstyle.

In an RTS, you build your base, build you army, and kill the enemy base/army.

In a racing sim, you build up your car, and race other cars around a track in order to unlock more upgrades.

In a Zelda game, you go to a dungeon, find the weapon used to solve nearly all of the puzzles/kill the boss in that dungeon, whilst collecting keys, maps, and a compass, and then move on to the next dungeon to do the same thing over again.

In a hack'n'slash, you kill hordes of enemies to advance through the levels, usually ending up using one or two moves over and over again.

In a puzzle game, you solve puzzles again and again to advance.

In an RPG, you level up my gaining experience via doing quests, killing monsters, or, in the case of some MMO's, killing other players in PvP.

In a game such as the Sims, you wake your Sim up, have it do its everyday work, and put it to bed.

In an Adventure game (a la Kings Quest), you click on everything in every frame and use every single item on everything until something works to help you to advance.

All of these are examples of grind in games. All of them require you to do pretty much the same thing again and again in order to advance any farther in the game. So, what I think you mean (Which will turn your whole argument around, not that there really was one to begin with seeing as WoW and Guild Wars are two MMOs on the absolute opposite side of the spectrum) is that grind is the base of gaming. Every game incorporates some sort of grind in some way or another.

There is a difference between grind and gameplay.
The grind in wow is only bad (to me) because they don't at least give the grind a significant point, like actual development in story or the environment around you which doesn't even have to be nearly on par with dragon age: origins but they could have at least tried to make it feel like you are working towards a goal other than just leveling for the heck of it. The grind just feels more empty and shallow without proper motive.

A better example of grind in my opinion, would be that you solve the puzzles in the puzzle game again and again to advance, but get nowhere.

But that's just what I think.

It is quite apparent that Wow will always have more users and die hard fans than, arguably, any MMO to be made. However, I myself prefer Guild Wars because of the free gameplay and the low level cap for casual players.

Crowing about how this next MMO is "totally going to be a WoW killer you guys" always ends well. Always.

I mean shit look at every other single MMO that's made that claim. They all did just great.

Personally, I think the only game that would really "kill" World of Warcraft would be a Bioware MMO based off the Dragon Age universe. I'd give up a testicle to see that happen.

Anti Nudist Cupcake:
The grind in wow is only bad (to me) because they don't at least give the grind a significant point, like actual development in story or the environment around you

There wouldn't be any enemies left after the first ten players made their way through a zone if the environment changed. Though, they have added the phasing thing in which helps to see a change, it's still a bit noticeable, but it works.

Also, if you'd bother to read the quest text, you'd see that most of the "go here and kill these" aren't you slaughtering the entire pack of enemies. They NPC actually asks you to whittle their numbers down to keep the playing field even. So, you are impacting story, technically. Each player kills ten Kobolds to weaken their number and now look at Elwynn once Cata hit, there are no more Kobalds there because we eventually killed them all off, its just a fuckton of Orcs attacking.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked