Sooo.... What is it about Metroid Other M?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I know this has a lot of potential to go really bad and would appear to be complete flame bait so I do apologise about that. I haven't played it and I don't have the means or interest to. I do have to ask though....

What is it that gets Metroid Other M so much hate?

I've just finishd watching Extra Credits and they kind of slated the game. I swear i've seen it get bashed in other forums or threads.

Would someone mind just advising me on this... I'm curious and was hoping someone could fill me in.

They took a beloved silent protagonist who was competent, mature, and otherwise incredibly badass, then strapped her with a boring, bland, blatantly stupid voice, and threw in heavy-handed daddy issues who will put herself in danger simply because her Commanding Officer didn't tell her not to.

They took one of the strongest female character's in gaming, and made her a joke. THAT'S what's wrong with other m, plus the fact that the story is awful, and in relation to the rest of the series makes no sense, and and... yea, just read that article the other guy posted.

Decent gameplay overshadowed by torturous cutscenes with lobotomized voice actresses being submissive. Still fun to explore and run around in though. And it's nice to see cumulative effects on the beams without having to constantly switch them back and forth.

Samus who saved the universe all on her own on multiple occasions is a battered housewife now.

9_6:
Samus who saved the universe all on her own on multiple occasions is a battered housewife now.

Oh god that is perfect!! I am putting that down in my quote book. LOL

SirBryghtside:
this guy)

Ah... I see what you did there.

Cheers that pretty much sums it up then.

I've always liked the idea that Samus was a silent strong female character. I've admittedly only played a couple of metroid games. Sounds like they've tried to make her easier to identify with.... very badly or just with the wrong people.

Also watched the ZP. I get it now

ShadowsofHope:
http://moonbase.rydia.net/mental/blog/gaming/metroid-other-m-the-elephant/article.html

This will more or less explain it all for you. Have fun!

... That is if you want your source of information to be a horribly delusional insanity of an article that makes about as much sense as End of Evangelion on reverse.

The problem about Other M? Because People are butthurt that their interpretation of Samus is now invalid, so now they constantly whine about it, disguising that whine with pretty words they don't understand like "wuss" and "sexism".

Rancid0ffspring:

Also watched the ZP. I get it now

Ah yes, because listening to a heavily opinionated Anti-Nintendo game critic is well known for speaking THE ABSOLUTE OBJECTIVE TRUTH.

ZippyDSMlee:

9_6:

Oh god that is perfect!! I am putting that down in my quote book. LOL

Your quote book must be really boring.

My, is that a new record I just set?

CriticalGriffin:
SNIP

Chill dude.

I didn't read the Moonbase 'essay' as he called it because it was too long and I didn't want to dedicate that kind of time to this. I actually read SirBryghtsides review which seemed quite complimentary towards the game.

General consesus seems to be that there was something bad about the game. That's what I was querying about it. You like it, cool. That's how these things work.

I don't take ZP reviews as gospel. If I did, i'd never have bought some of the games I currently own. It did however, give me a better idea of what some of the gripes with the game are. Albeit incredibly exagerated.

EDIT: Sorted out terrible grammar

Rancid0ffspring:

CriticalGriffin:
SNIP

Chill dude.

I didn't read the Moonbase 'Essay' as he called it because it was too long and I didn't want to dedicate that kind of time to this. i actually read SirBryghtsides review which seemed quite complimentary towards the game.

General consesus seems to be that there was something bad about the game. That's what I was querying it. You like it, cool. That's how these things work.

I don't take ZP reviews as gospel. If I did i'd have bought some of the games I currently own. It did however give me a better idea of what some of the gripes with the game are. Albeit incredibly exagerated.

Ah, great to hear. It seems some people do take this in a rational manner, good. Just feared you would jump on the flaming bandwagon.

Oh, and I just recently heard that article was supposedly meant to be satirical and sarcastic.

CriticalGriffin:

ShadowsofHope:
http://moonbase.rydia.net/mental/blog/gaming/metroid-other-m-the-elephant/article.html

... That is if you want your source of information to be a horribly delusional insanity of an article that makes about as much sense as End of Evangelion on reverse.

The problem about Other M? Because People are butthurt that their interpretation of Samus is now invalid, so now they constantly whine about it, disguising that whine with pretty words they don't understand like "wuss" and "sexism".

And of course, a rebuttal with absolutely no substance behind it save "No ur wrong!", yet offering no other reason for anyone to look any differently upon Other M than how the article views it (mind you, it looks through the entire series as well leading up to Other M, in perspective).

If you really think such, then do go ahead and explain your stance. Seriously, I really want to hear this. How does Other M "help" the character of Samus in any way, whatsoever?

Edit: And to note, I've played the game firsthand. This isn't just "mindless hate".

If I may, though I only played the game for awhile, I was up to a snowy bit where you have to spot a woman in a window, before other issues knocked my wii out of action (well, tv to be more accurate), and I didn't see any problem with the voice. I was just....happy to have a voice? Maybe I am easily pleased. But the gameplay felt solid to me.

ShadowsofHope:

CriticalGriffin:

ShadowsofHope:

And of course, a rebuttal with absolutely no substance behind it save "No ur wrong!", yet offering no other reason for anyone to look any differently upon Other M than how the article views it (mind you, it looks through the entire series as well leading up to Other M, in perspective).

If you really think such, then do go ahead and explain your stance. Seriously, I really want to hear this. How does Other M "help" the character of Samus in any way, whatsoever?

I'd like to know how it doesn't help first.

... That is what I would say, but this topic isn't technically meant for that discussion.

If you say you liked or didn't care about the change in Samus' character, I don't believe you are a real fan of the Metroid series. Samus was a strong, silent, fearless character. Other M basically destroyed that. It deserves a lot of the hate it gets.

CriticalGriffin:

ShadowsofHope:

CriticalGriffin:

Humor me. How did it help at all?

CriticalGriffin:

ShadowsofHope:

CriticalGriffin:

... That is what I would say, but this topic isn't technically meant for that discussion.

If you want to do this over PM's, I'll go along with it then. Though, I asked my question first! And you made the comment about the article being "delusional" as well. Need to be more comprehensive on that, as well.

CriticalGriffin:

Think of it more as expanding the conversation.

I'd like to hear your opinion.

From the way people complain, its because Samus now has a personality and is more interesting than "standard bounty hunter who's only unique because she's a woman". Hell, the amount of times she's shown any sort of humanity you could count on one hand. The most notable of which is when she saved the baby metroid.

But I doubt the hate is because she now has a personality. The issue I have with it is because Nintendo completely dropped the ball on introducing us and presenting her personality. Instead of making her look like a deep human with inner demons, desires, thoughts, dreams, ect. they make her look like a whiny high-school chick.

I just think people are angry at how her personality was presented, and are complaining about the wrong thing.

Nick Stackware:
If you say you liked or didn't care about the change in Samus' character, I don't believe you are a real fan of the Metroid series. Samus was a strong, silent, fearless character. Other M basically destroyed that. It deserves a lot of the hate it gets.

I did not care about the change in Samusī character (never played any Metroid game before, so whatever delusions people had about the character traits of a completely silent non-person, were certaily not shared by me) and I still hated the game.

Because the writing was shit. Just shit.
Bad pacing, the characters were total ciphers and nobody even came close to emulating how a normal person would act. For all I care, they could have made Samus into a whiny, emotional bimbo with severe self-destuctive tendencies, as long as it was well written.
People can have a shouting match about how the changes in Samusī character were good or bad all they want, but ultimately it doesnīt matter, because she was WRITTEN HORRIBLY EITHER WAY!

ShadowsofHope:

I haven't played Other M and am unlikely to; this link summarized and distilled a number of complaints I'd heard about the game piecemeal and made for some interesting reading, so, thanks for that.

You know how it took women decades of hard campaigning to gain the rights that they have today, but now after all that people now think it's ok to start using "kitchen" jokes again like it all didn't matter.

Other M is the gaming equivalent of that.

ShadowsofHope:
If you want to do this over PM's, I'll go along with it then. Though, I asked my question first! And you made the comment about the article being "delusional" as well. Need to be more comprehensive on that, as well.

Here's one example:
"If Metroid: Other M is indicative of the direction the Metroid series will be going from now on, I'm afraid I can no longer be a Metroid fan. For that matter, if Other M represents what Metroid's creators had intended all along but hadn't made clear until now, then I was never really a Metroid fan to begin with."

Another is their insistence of how Adam's and Samus' relationship is abusive by either relying on very subjective interpretations, far-fetched assumptions and equally far-fetched evidences, such as the analysis of Sector Zero scene and sometimes just calling Yoshio Sakamoto evil, which in itself is quite delusional.
They also go beyond that and start claiming that the whole modern pop culture glorifies abusive relationships, basically because Twilight exists.

This also clashes with how they also argue that the game is poorly written, which is the most logical reason, but instead they rely on how game glorifies sexism and such.

However, just as I said, from what I've just recently heard this article might just be satirical and sarcastic and shows how simple poor writing can be taken completely in the wrong context, which in hindsight makes a tons of sense.

But now I will go to sleep. I will continue this tommorrow.

NinjaDeathSlap:
You know how it took women decades of hard campaigning to gain the rights that they have today, but now after all that people now think it's ok to start using "kitchen" jokes again like it all didn't matter.

Other M is the gaming equivalent of that.

This i like. Well done sir!

Actually I think Yahtzee summed up all of the reasons for the hate.

CriticalGriffin:

ShadowsofHope:

Here's one example:
"If Metroid: Other M is indicative of the direction the Metroid series will be going from now on, I'm afraid I can no longer be a Metroid fan. For that matter, if Other M represents what Metroid's creators had intended all along but hadn't made clear until now, then I was never really a Metroid fan to begin with."

Another is their insistence of how Adam's and Samus' relationship is abusive by either relying on very subjective interpretations and far-fetched assumptions, such as the Sector Zero scene and sometimes just calling Yoshio Sakamoto evil, which in itself is quite delusional.

This also clashes with how they also argue that the game is poorly written, which is the most logical reason, but instead they rely on how game glorifies sexism and such.

However, just as I said, from what I've just recently heard this article might just be satirical and sarcastic and shows how simple poor writing can be taken completely in the wrong context, which in hindsight makes a tons of sense.

Oh, I have no doubt it is poor writing all around, but that definitely does not make things any better from the perspective of the individual playing the game in terms of how they portray a male/female relationship between Samus and Adam (practically to the point of worshiping Adam, no matter the actions he takes).

Samus basically follows everything Adam does against her in the game like an obedient puppy, relinquishing her own safety and even her own judgments in the field for sake of Adam's own in the end. Even if it hurts her more than it benefits her own life. Which contradicts the strong lone wolf character that knows how to handle herself in which we are presented with in every other game in the Metroid series. That situation brings upon the mindset (no surprise) that the game views Samus as more a simple pawn to a dominant male figure that doesn't really care for her well-being, but rather how much control he can have over her emotions, her thoughts and even her actions to suit his own goals.

At least, that was my interpretation of my rather.. rough playthrough of the game. We'll likely agree to disagree here on this, no less. I just can't see the character relationships to have any sufficiently justified manner to them, in the end. I'm not saying I agree with everything in the article either (rather outlandish claims about pop culture included here), just that the criticism about the character relationships fits my own views on that aspect of the game rather well.

ShadowsofHope:

Samus basically follows everything Adam does against her in the game like an obedient puppy, relinquishing her own safety and even her own judgments in the field for sake of Adam's own in the end. Even if it hurts her more than it benefits her own life. Which contradicts the strong lone wolf character that knows how to handle herself in which we are presented with in every other game in the Metroid series. That situation brings upon the mindset (no surprise) that the game views Samus as more a simple pawn to a dominant male figure that doesn't really care for her well-being, but rather how much control he can have over her emotions, her thoughts and even her actions to suit his own goals.

At least, that was my interpretation of my rather.. rough playthrough of the game.

I think it is wise that you acknowledge this is just your interpretation.
Because all I was thinking, playing the same game with the same narrative, was that they obviously wanted to have a mechanism in play to limit the availability of her advanced weaponry and were too dumb or too incompetent to incorperate it smoothly into the actual narrative.
So my thoughts were more along the lines of "Wow, everybody in this game is a complete f*cking idiot." then "Wow, this game is really sexist.".

Thatīs not BETTER, mind you, itīs just less... malevolent.

TheAmazingHobo:

ShadowsofHope:

At least, that was my interpretation of my rather.. rough playthrough of the game.

I think it is wise that you acknowledge this a just your interpretation.
Because all I was thinking, playing the same game with the same narrative, was that they obviously wanted to have a mechanism in play to limit the avaibility of her advanced weaponry and were too dumb or too incompetent to incorperate it smoothly into the actual narrative.
So my thoughts were more along the lines of "Wow, everybody in this game is a complete f*cking idiot." then "Wow, this game is really sexist.".

Thatīs not BETTER, mind you, itīs just less... malevolent.

I don't really consider it "sexist" in the typical meaning of the word, persay. I just view it as the creators of the game far selling Samus out short in terms of character, emotions and general development as a whole. Otherwise, I agree with you on the either too dumb or too incompetent to incorporate gameplay aspects and plotline narrative into something that actually makes sense for the characters involved (especially Samus).

But yes, I realize my perspective is the only truly of concern when I am considering my own general enjoyment of the games I am playing. Though, the OP brought up the question on why Other M is given such a bad rap from most individuals, and I gave him an opinion in which I know is shared by many that have witnessed the game other than myself. That was the only reason I brought up that article, in any case.

The game was absurdly linear, and dialogue driven. Said dialogue and it's accompanying made me want to rip off my balls and throw them at the screen yelling "GET A SET!!!". The gameplay was terrible, with some strange switching between out of place combat and rail shooting, the control scheme sucked. I could go on.

ShadowsofHope:

But yes, I realize my perspective is the only truly of concern when I am considering my own general enjoyment of the games I am playing. Though, the OP brought up the question on why Other M is given such a bad rap from most individuals, and I gave him an opinion in which I know is shared by many that have witnessed the game other than myself. That was the only reason I brought up that article, in any case.

I suppose I sounded a bit more confrontational than I wanted to.
I did not mean to say that your opinion is misplaced or that you should not articulate it openly. Itīs just that this is a context where "sexism" gets thrown around quite often without proper argumentation (not by you explicitly, just generally), but with a lot of outrage.
And I prefer to think of people as idiots, not misogynists.
But I suppose whether you think about it in terms of female-male-dependency or mental retardation doesnīt even matter, the relationship between Samus and Adam is really sick either way.
And the article looks interesting, Iīll definitly read it on my next train ride.

I tried the demo of Other M. I know that it's not really the best way to view something, so this opinion is to be taken with... Oh... An entire shaker of salt.

Other M's gameplay to me was, well, adequite. I hadn't unlocked any of the more advanced powers in the game, but whatever.

The story made me want to put down the game and go play something else. Ignoring the head-pounding stupidity of Samus not turning on her anti-heat suit in a very hostile environment simply because Adam didn't say she could, it's just that trying to listen to Samus' voice actor was as boring as slapping some paint on a blade of grass and watching the paint dry only for the growth of the grass to split the paint.

It's story, complete disregard for the rest of the series, the dismissal of the Prime trilogy, and it's treatment of Samus as a character was the only thing that occupied my mind for over a month.

Then, just recently, I had a nightmare where Samus was being mentally tortured. There are some other details, but all you need to know is that it was a metaphor for what the Game did to her character. This nightmare also created a small fear in the farthest corner of my brain that I'm going insane.

Again. Thanks Sakamoto.

EDIT: Oh, and all aspects of the gameplay are shit.

The gameplay was incredibly solid. Dialogue/cutscnes and Story killed it.

I think fans don't like that Samus is uncharacteristically weak willed and submissive in Other M.

She may have been a blank slate before, but this new voice doesn't suit her character.

CriticalGriffin:

ShadowsofHope:

Here's one example:

Another is their insistence of how Adam's and Samus' relationship is abusive by either relying on very subjective interpretations and far-fetched assumptions, such as the Sector Zero scene and sometimes just calling Yoshio Sakamoto evil, which in itself is quite delusional.

If that's the article I'm thinking about, that's more or less it. I think the writer is serious about how bad the story comes off of, but then points out that is likely an accident of lazy/bad writing.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked