Will Monster Hunter: Frontier ever come to the USA and EU?

Myself, my friends, and a considerable amount of gamers throughout Europe and the US love playing monster hunter. I'm not sure why, as the combat is awkward, the quests are annoying, the monsters are over powered, and yet despite all of that, it's an extremely compelling game.

In Asia, where Monster Hunter is enormously popular (or so I've been told, don't bite my head off if that's incorrect!), there is an MMO version of Monster Hunter called "Monster Hunter: Frontier", which is supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread. Im eager to give it a go, and yet there is a serious problem. Capcom refuse to sell it outside of Asia, and there is special programming in place which prevents anyone from accessing the game from outside of it.

To counter this, some of the hardcore MH fans have made certain pieces of software which allows you access to Frontier, but it's incredibly risky because if the moderators discover that you've done it, its an instant ban. Regardless that your paying a subscription, and even if you've learned to speak Japanese (as far as i'm aware, thats the commonly used language on the Frontier servers), they still ban you. Seems a little strange to me that Capcom would deny paying customers :S.

Anyway, I was wondering, does anyone know if Monster Hunter: Frontier is ever coming to the other Regions? There is certainly a great deal of money to be made from it, so it strikes me as a little odd that Capcom wouldn't want to take advantage of that.

I want it to, but i doubt it will.

Unfortunely Capcom has realised that Monster Hunter is just not popular enough in the west to warrant releasing it.

I personally love the series, even though it does a lot of things wrong (grinding for small rewards, and slow progress a.k.a the skinner box), it still manages to be very interesting, and entertaining unlike many other games with the skinner box premise (coughworldofwarcraftcough).

I also really want this game. I got into Monster Hunter after the commercials for Monster Hunter Tri seemed so compelling. The game itself reminded me of Phantasy Star Online for the Gamecube, which was my first online game experience. I enjoy MHT immensely, so when I did some research and found out there was an MMO version for the PC, I was psyched. Then came the knock on the head that it wasn't coming to the U.S. and probably won't ever. If they ever do decide to release it, even if it's only for a limited time and under special order, I'd go for it.

Monster Hunter is massively popular over in Japan, not quite as much in USE and EU. It does certainly have a popularity over here, but it is much more of a niche audience.
Put that on top of the people who would be unwilling to pay monthly fees, those who wouldn't continue a subscription for more than a few months. As well, from what I have been told by someone who has actually played it, the game requires incredible amounts grind, far, far more than any other Monster Hunter game. This would be very discouraging to the people who don't play MH games in a dedicated manner and especially discouraging to new players.

That is not to say that the game couldn't do well. It would be incredibly risky though, so I imagine that is why they do not, although that is mostly just speculation.

I do share your desire to play it though and wish it wasn't so.

King Kupofried:
As well, from what I have been told by someone who has actually played it, the game requires incredible amounts grind, far, far more than any other Monster Hunter game.

Lol apparently there are 999 hunter ranks, if thats not a grind then I dont know what is!

I want it so bad, bought a wired connector for my Wii just to play Tri.

Adamc-mh:
I want it so bad, bought a wired connector for my Wii just to play Tri.

I get what your saying there but, from what i've gathered, the Tri online is terrible in comparison to Frontier :(

Want. So. Bad. :(

Monster Hunter is one of the few series that, after I found out about, I became willing to stick with, so I'm extremely excited for Portable 3rds release.

sign this petition if you really want monster hunter frontier to be out overseas maybe if we get enough people to sign this petition we will finally enjoy the monster hunter mmo experience http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/MHFrontier

LadyMint:

Unfortunely Capcom has realised that Monster Hunter is just not popular enough in the west to warrant releasing it.

True. That being said, what's silly is that they didn't invest any money in advertising the game, and they release it on the less desirable systems (Wii, PSP). The original was on the PS2, but didn't even know it existed until Tri came out.

Whilst I honestly don't like the series myself for the problems listed above, I do think it could sell well in the West if Capcom invested the advertising on it. If games like Dark Souls can make a pretty penny, I don't see how this couldn't.

I'd love to play it but given how badly Monster Hunter seems to be in the west I really doubt we'd be able to.
I'd just settle for another Monster Hunter game to be released on the PS3. Monster Hunter Freedom Unite is absolutely brilliant and is one of 4 games that is keeping me from getting rid of my PSP but the controls really start to dig into your hands after a while

I fucking love Monster Hunter.

Buying a PSVita hinges on the one condition that there's a MH title on it :D

I'd love Frontier to be available over here.

Daystar Clarion:
I fucking love Monster Hunter.

Buying a PSVita hinges on the one condition that there's a MH title on it :D

I'd love Frontier to be available over here.

The really sad part about that is they already put the PS3 version on the Vita over a year ago during one of Sony's conferences when it was still called the NGP. Capcom came out and had the PS3 version running on the Vita and said it only took a couple of weeks to get it up and running. I'm guessing by now Capcom signed some form of exclusivity deal with Nintendo since they only showed the 3DS versions last time I saw.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked