Dragon Age 2 Sales

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

So... Week 10 Sales are in:
I remember predictions that it would hit over 4.5 million even though it might "alienate fans of the first game": http://www.huliq.com/10177/huliq-projects-dragon-age-2-sales-figures-will-exceed-45-million

Let's compare:
Dragon Age: Origins

XBOX 360
Week 1 - 335,941
Week 2 - 173,230
Week 3 - 96,340
Week 4 - 134,460
Week 5 - 107,755
Week 6 - 121,373
Week 7 - 153,855
Week 8 - 180,681
Week 9 - 74,823
Week 10 - 35,007

PS3
Week 1 - 155,660
Week 2 - 72,304
Week 3 - 80,920
Week 4 - 77,414
Week 5 - 59,219
Week 6 - 63,881
Week 7 - 76,906
Week 8 - 89,604
Week 9 - 44,035
Week 10 - 22,415

Dragon Age 2

XBOX 360
Week 1 - 392,508
Week 2 - 128,897
Week 3 - 61,735
Week 4 - 40,841
Week 5 - 26,630
Week 6 - 19,569
Week 7 - 15,939
Week 8 - 12,506
Week 9 - 6,416
Week 10 - 4,938

PS3
Week 1 - 163,410
Week 2 - 61,210
Week 3 - 35,455
Week 4 - 25,976
Week 5 - 18,489
Week 6 - 18,111
Week 7 - 15,736
Week 8 - 10,917
Week 9 - 6,907
Week 10 - 5,347

PC
Week 1 - 148,830
Week 2 - 38,002
Week 3 - 26,165
Week 4 - 16,082
Week 5 - 10,850
Week 6 - 9,551
Week 7 - 9,002
Week 8 - 5,723
Week 9 - 3,965
Week 10 - 3,002

In total DA2 hit over 1.3 million sold during its 10 week run, mainly supported by the 400.000 Pre-Orders they had (with the Signature Edition only being available if you Pre-Ordered 1 month before release, otherwise you'd have to pay for DLC), but DA2's Week 2 was already showing a dramatic decrease in number of copies sold over all platforms in comparison, as apparently bad Word-of-Mouth got around, Week 3 is an all-time low and shows less copies sold than in any of the first 9 Weeks of DA:O, in fact DA:O's sales increased significantly after its first 3 weeks (see links below) as good Word-of-Mouth got around.
If the trend stays it is highly unlikely that DA2 will have more than a total of 2 million copies sold over its total lifespan.
PC sales aren't exact/aren't available for DA:O and probably don't include Digital Distribution though I wouldn't think that would show a dramatic increase in numbers.

Dragon Age 2 X360: http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/44012/dragon-age-ii/
Dragon Age 2 PS3: http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/44011/dragon-age-ii/
Dragon Age 2 PC: http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/44010/dragon-age-ii/
Dragon Age: Origins X360: http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/33505/dragon-age-origins/
Dragon Age: Origins PS3: http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/33502/dragon-age-origins/

I still enjoyed it more than DA:O.

It has its flaws but at its core it's a great game.

Hopefully, this'll set off some "That didn't go so well..." lights in Bioware's head and they'll not pull crap like that again. I love DA2, but it's the worst Bioware game to date...

So DA3 will be less rushed and less hack n slash, also DA2 will be cheap soon.
Sucks to have paid £40 for that.

MiracleOfSound:

Same story. Based on actual events.

One hundred thousand:
100 000,0
100 000.0

From those, I really prefer the third one. Fourth one if it's from a country that uses dots instead of commas.

Wow. So whining on the Internet CAN make a difference? Interesting mixed message to Bioware now; they 'streamlined' Mass Effect 2 from the first one and sold more, but the same thing had the opposite effect on DA.

Personally, I think the difference is they 'streamlined' the plot in DA2, and the plot is what people buy Bioware games for in the first place. Plus, fantasy RPG fans tend to like the extra complexity/depth.

MiracleOfSound:

This.
And sales don't matter.

I mean, hello, Team ICO games anyone?

Another difference is that DA isnt a shooter, so streamlining it and taking most of the strategy out of battles killed it(at least for me). Now its just a mindless button masher half the time. Nothing worse than having a group randomly teleport behind your mages after setting up the warriors in front to block.....sheesh. Wouldn be so bad if they actually came from somewhere, but no, they teleport into a dead end. Sense of disbelief blown :P

I just really hope they learn the right lesson from this. Which is that they shouldn't rush their games and they shouldn't alienate their fans. But I'm kind of afraid that they will either learn that DA is a dead IP or that they shouldn't release demo's anymore.

I find it very interesting to see that the console sales are also worse than for DA:O, even though they clearly focused more on consoles for DA2. You would expect that while this cost them a lot of PC sales and sympathy, it might have increased sales on the consoles.
Also, I wonder how many people who were going to buy the game for their console have been persuaded otherwise by PC gamers lamenting the consolification of the game.

Its not an awful game, its a disappointing game.

Lusty:
Wow. So whining on the Internet CAN make a difference? Interesting mixed message to Bioware now; they 'streamlined' Mass Effect 2 from the first one and sold more, but the same thing had the opposite effect on DA.

Personally, I think the difference is they 'streamlined' the plot in DA2, and the plot is what people buy Bioware games for in the first place. Plus, fantasy RPG fans tend to like the extra complexity/depth.

Both series also appeal to different markets don't forget. Mass Effect is essentially a third person shooter with rpg elements and a sci-fi universe. The original Dragon Age however was billed as a successor to the old PC rpg genre, Baldur's Gate specifically. An isometric party-based experience that traded visceral combat for more tactical depth.

With Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, the formula was simply refined. Some people might not like it, but for the vast majority it was an improvement in every way. Trimming the proverbial fat and playing towards what made the original so successful. With Dragon Age to Dragon Age 2 however, the formula wasn't refined or enriched so much as it was changed and altered, for better or for worse. And I imagine for many fans of the original game that's simply not what they were anticipating nor wanted from a sequel which is what ultimately led to the outcry on release.

tghm1801:

This.
And sales don't matter.

As much as I wish it weren't so sometimes, sales are everything. To think otherwise is silly when so many amazing developers have gone under do to lackluster sales and poor management.

this isnt my name:

So DA3 will be less rushed and less hack n slash, also DA2 will be cheap soon.
Sucks to have paid £40 for that.

I fear you place too much faith in EA.

I'm still trying to figure out why literally nobody in Japan bought DA2 at all.

Was it not released over there, or did whatever you're using not bother to track that?

tghm1801:

MiracleOfSound:

This.
And sales don't matter.

You're going to compare Team Ico games (sold poorly on account of being wonderfully odd and original) to DA2 (rushed cash-in of a sequel that is selling poorly because it's a mediocre disappointment)?

Returns are still a little early, but it's looking like all that "pointless internet whining" wasn't exactly the immature, entitled raving of a vocal internet minority, huh?

I share the concerns of others with regard to how EA/Bioware move forward with the DA franchise. You'd hope they'd take this lesson to heart, revert some of the more obviously shitty changes, and dedicate proper time and resources to a full-fledged sequel. Unfortunately, odds are good they'll either can the series or try that much harder to "broaden the appeal".

I really did love DA2, so its a shame that it didnt do well because i realllly want a sequal, however i have to say i kinda saw it coming after they pissed so many people off, hopefully if anything good comes out of this its that they wont rush the sequal.

MiracleOfSound:

Basically this. It'll be interesting to see what DA3 will bring. Until then: Mass Effect 3!

MiracleOfSound:

Let me see 50/60 hours on DA:O , 130 hours on DA 2.

Yep i like DA 2 more then the first game. The story in origins is just your standard fantasy fluff. Can not even get myself to just play through all the origin stories let alone more then 1 playthrough. I finished DA 2 4 times.

The story behind DA 2 is just much more fascinating with two sides who are right and wrong.

Considering how many people pre-ordered this game, these numbers really hammer home the point.

The problem is, by rushing the game and taking less time how much money did they save? How much they saved vs how much they lost from potential sales is the full question.

I sure hope they do the numbers and decide that quality control is worth it in the future. With some more polish DA2 could have been a 9+ but they made the wrong decisions.

I'm back on Awakening again, i'll catch them for ME3 though. Renting first of course now though.

jonsnow:
Another difference is that DA isnt a shooter, so streamlining it and taking most of the strategy out of battles killed it(at least for me). Now its just a mindless button masher half the time. Nothing worse than having a group randomly teleport behind your mages after setting up the warriors in front to block.....sheesh. Wouldn be so bad if they actually came from somewhere, but no, they teleport into a dead end. Sense of disbelief blown :P

You do realise that the game does use strategy, just a different one? You need to be very mobile so your mages don't get killed by spawning waves, you can't complain about the game not having strategy when you're just brute forcing through it and blaming your deaths on the designers...

Also who cares about sales figures? It really sounds as though the people who don't like this game are scouring any financial information they can find to convince the people who do like it that they aren't having as much fun as they think they are. Unless I'm missing the point and this thread is for people browsing the Escapist who happen to own shares in Bioware?

Furious Styles:

I totally agree. There were so many missed opportunities with a game that could have been so excellent. So many ways that they dropped the ball its unreal!

I think also that a lot of people who are disappointed with DAII miss this point.

Furious Styles:

Definitely. IMHO, Bioware has a nack for releasing truly disappointing DLC and sequels.

Sapient Pearwood:

You do realise that the game does use strategy, just a different one? You need to be very mobile so your mages don't get killed by spawning waves, you can't complain about the game not having strategy when you're just brute forcing through it and blaming your deaths on the designers...

Its this 'different strategy' that people have a problem with. As stated, enemies randomly teleporting in behind your mages, from a dead end, just doesn't cut it for 'strategy'. If there was a second road behind your mages and some guards down that way that DIDN'T get spawned for 'extra challenge' heard the fight and came to assist, thats fine. If the enemies decided to run past your tank because your mage was a bigger threat, and end up killing them because of that, thats fine. There are so many better ways Bioware could have pulled this off, but they just went for the cheap and easy option of 'lets just have some enemies randomly appear for the fun of it'. As Yahtzee says, its like that part of the game was there so that the game could sit there and laugh at you.
Also, 'mobile' combat isn't necessarily the most logical choice for fighting in a city. Most cities have tight, narrow streets with only a few main thoroughfares, and it would have been even worse in the middle ages. Being 'mobile' in a tight alley makes no sense, unless your a street runner style rogue, just jumping and climbing over any obstacles, eg: buildings, in your path. Unfortunately, the only characters able to do this are your enemies when they jump off the building/wall/thin air behind your party to kill you.
As the quote says, its not so much that DA2 is a terrible game as it is a disappointing game. DA:O was an old-style RPG, and that's why it sold so well, it was a game in a great, if sometimes overly liberal in its use of chliches, genre that had not had seen a game in a fair while. Most people buying DA2 were hoping for a continuation, improvement even, on this genre, rather than turning it into an almost hack'n'slash style game with obvious sign of being rushed.
One of my favourite parts of DA:O was exploring a vast world. In DA2, you have one area to explore, with the exception of a few dungeons, and that killed the game for me.
To anyone saying 'sales don't matter', they do. DA2 did not sell as well as its predecessor because it was the wrong type of game to try and sell to Origin's audience. If they had of created it as new IP and advertised it as what it was, I would have had no problem with it, but as a sequel to DA:O, it disappoints and that is why the sales dropped, it shows how much the fans of DA were disappointed. The proof is in the proverbial pudding.

Sorry for the wall of text.

I really enjoyed DA2, and I believe it was rushed because DA3 has the setup to be incredible, and they wanted to get to work on that instead.

I also think that the hate on the net about it has more to do with sales decreasing than the actual game. I've found a number of people that have enjoyed DA2 and think it's worth the money, but those that don't like it are very vocal, and people that might end up enjoying it are being put off by the hate.

1, The game will be cool wait for the Demo!
2, Well the Demo means nothing wait for the Full game!
3, Well you cant say the game is bad you didnt even finish it! Wait for the reviews!
4, The bad reviewes mean nothing! Wait for the only one that matters on Metacritic
5, Well um Metacritic is crap and only Trolls post there, it does not matter! Wait for the Sales!
6, Well those charts arent accurate! They mean nothing!
7, Well uhm.. hmmm.. DA2 is just great and you are the Minority! Shutup!!!111

Doing a direct comparison is also going to be skewed.

DA:O released the first week of November. Notice how sales pick up on the XBox, and at least stay fairly steady on the PS3? That can likely be attributed to the holiday season rather than a real statement on the differences between the games.

Another factor is the economy hasn't been getting much better (at least here in the states). It's also possible that many people who want the game haven't gotten it yet because money constraints.

I love Bioware, and while I enjoyed DA2, it wasn't a traditional Bioware mindgasm that I'm used to. It felt rushed, sloppy, and since I got it for the 360, button mashy. I didn't have any finesse over tactics, which was annoying, and the story felt a bit shallow. Oh well, no company is perfect, but let this be a lesson Bioware, even fanboy/girl loyalty has limits. You're not invulnerable.

You know what, I'm happy blaming EA for all its problems. Forget those last few sentences.

Joccaren:

Also, 'mobile' combat isn't necessarily the most logical choice for fighting in a city. Most cities have tight, narrow streets with only a few main thoroughfares, and it would have been even worse in the middle ages.

I don't really understand that part of your argument, there are a few narrow places in the game but nowhere where I've had difficulty maneuvering my team if I need to. It's certainly an improvement over the combat in the last game anyway, I don't really know, it seems it's mostly pc gamers complaining about this so maybe combat was much better on the pc version but really I don't see how.

So far as I've seen DA2 keeps things interesting, it uses the same few dungeons again and again which sucks but I can forgive it for the improvements it's made to combat and the quest design still being good.

Jaded Scribe:

DA:O released the first week of November. Notice how sales pick up on the XBox, and at least stay fairly steady on the PS3? That can likely be attributed to the holiday season rather than a real statement on the differences between the games.

Another factor is the economy hasn't been getting much better (at least here in the states). It's also possible that many people who want the game haven't gotten it yet because money constraints.

Or because all these negative comments are making us *cough* me *cough* a bit cautious in getting it. I mean, 'they'll' probably still get it, but they'll go looking for less biased reviews first, and maybe some walkthrough videos (and wait for it to get cheaper), just to make sure they want it.

Damn negative comments making me paranoid.

Biosophilogical:

Jaded Scribe:

Or because all these negative comments are making us *cough* me *cough* a bit cautious in getting it. I mean, 'they'll' probably still get it, but they'll go looking for less biased reviews first, and maybe some walkthrough videos (and wait for it to get cheaper), just to make sure they want it.

Damn negative comments making me paranoid.

Yup, exactly.

Honestly, I think if you go in to it either (a) aware of the changes, or (b) open-minded and understanding it's not a true sequel, just a game existing in the same world, that you can really enjoy this game. But a lot of people are still waiting to see.

I like to think as Orgins as a movie (Over arcing story, giant climax at the end, actually gives a ending).
While Dragon age 2 is more like a Tv series (Bunch of mini plots, no real end... see more character growth).

Sapient Pearwood:
I can forgive it for the improvements it's made to combat

Define Improvements. It has left DA:O styled combat and moved to a different style. It has not 'improved' the combat, it has changed it. It is similar to if CoD or Halo removed the fast paced shooting in the game and replaced all weapons with snipers so everyone had to sit and camp or be killed. Some would see that as an improvement, some would not. All that has happened is that the play style has changed from fast paced to a snipe fest, something which any number of servers on both games have in abundance.
Improving DA:O gameplay would have been better balancing abilities, damage, health and numbers + types of enemies encountered at points, maybe even adding in a few new abilities. What DA2 does is change the combat in a way that, as evident from the number of people raging against it, was not recieved well by a fair portiion of the games intended audience.
I personally would have liked to see a greater variety of abilities used with the same gameplay mechanics, and better attack animations, as well as effects like being hit 'mini-stunning' you (Pausing whatever you are doing at the time by half a second or so) to try and bring it closer to realism, rather than having randomly teleporting enemies appear every 5 seconds.
As I stated, I would have less of a problem if this game was a new IP advertised as a sort-of hack and slash game, but the fact that it calls itself 'Dragon Age' when it barely resembles that game, many of the similarities of the two being shared across more than one of Bioware's IPs or any High Fantasy game, is what annoys me.

You made my day, thank you. The world makes sense again.

tghm1801:

MiracleOfSound:

This.
And sales don't matter.

Your avatar scares me.

Just putting that out there.

OT: Good for Bioware.

Jesus Christ, what is it with all the DA2 topics recently. I've counted about a dozen today alone...

This had better be worth it...*goes back to cave and hibernates*

this isnt my name:

This. I hope this trend continues and Bioware/EA get the message.

Lusty:

Difference is that ME was already a shooter with RPG elements. Streamlining helped the sequel. Origins was a set-in-stone RPG. You can't just streamline that.

i don't think DA2 was all that bad, a bit rushed, and maybe could use some more length in the story, or more overall main plot, but otherwise it had some really good things going for it, so hopefully they make out with the bad, maybe keep a few odd things from the second game and really bounce back from it. hopefully whatever they are doing with ME3 they can apply what they learned from this game and make it amazing =]

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked