According to the Japanese, the most satisfying game last year was... Halo?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Japanese gaming magazine Gamaga surveyed its readers about the most satisfying game they played last year.

Yep. A non-RPG, non-Japanses title.

Mind you, this is not representative of the sales figures, but rather that of 'satisfaction'. I know Reach is a good game, but still, this took me by surprise...

Not surprised. Some of my top games for 2010 were made in Japan. A quality game is a quality game.

Damn double post!

RedEyesBlackGamer:
Not surprised. Some of my top games for 2010 were made in Japan. A quality game is a quality game.

My surprise stemmed from the fact that the XBox360 never sold very well in Japan. Halo should be niche there, but it still topped the survey. Quite impressive in that regard, I'd say.

I would be more shocked if it were a game that wasn't popular.

Um.... April fools?

Raiyan 1.0:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

My surprise stemmed from the fact that the XBox360 never sold very well in Japan. Halo should be niche there, but it still topped the survey. Quite impressive in that regard, I'd say.

Can't help a game being awesome, though. Continuum Shift is niche here, but it has a very strong, vocal fanbase. I expect the same can be said for Reach in Japan.

im pretty sure that the total amount of time spent playing halo:reach was something like 80,000 years in december...

Huh. A tad suprising. Not unworthy though. Kudos to Bungie. They know how to make great games.

This is just one magazine's survey though right?

Yeah, considering how the Japanese gaming scene is apparently pretty isolated and the 360 is considered purely an otaku-product, that's pretty surprising.

Aha, this is because, despite what people tell you, halo is /DAMN/ fun to play. The thrill of knocking out a warthogs back wheel and hitting it with a grenade launcher and watching it pop into the air before exploding is a marvelous thing.

Raiyan 1.0:

I'd have to look at the people who actually took this survey to try and explain this. I'm assuming the people who took this survey were subscribers to this gamer magazine. The demographic Gamer is probably the exact niche that buys xboxs in Japan. The fact that Halo Reach was well received by this particular niche in japan isn't that surprising.

It makes some sense that a niche title could have a greater average satisfaction. More widely appealing titles might have a smaller proportion of fervent fans.

I have to say that i am more surprised to see DA:O so high in the list.

Well, filling an alien full of lead then punching them hitting them in the face with the butt of your rifle is pretty damn satisfying.

Surprised at that. Was it the Series Halo or one partiuclar game?

Disgaea 4?!?!?!?!?!

I want that to be my most satisfying game!

Please hurry up and subtitle the game for us. You can skip the dubbing. Thank you.

EDIT: I'm late to the part, Disgaea 3 is currently my most satisfying game. I only started a few months ago.

That's awesome! Also, a little surprising. Well deserved though.

Euhan01:
Surprised at that. Was it the Series Halo or one partiuclar game?

The latter. It specifically mentions Reach.

Sorry, can you change the thread title? I know this is nitpicking, but its misleading. "Halo" is the original Halo. "Halo Reach" is Halo Reach. I clicked here and thought they were praising a ten year old game.

Sober Thal:
Disgaea 4?!?!?!?!?!

I want that to be my most satisfying game!

Please hurry up and subtitle the game for us. You can skip the dubbing. Thank you.

EDIT: I'm late to the part, Disgaea 3 is currently my most satisfying game. I only started a few months ago.

Ah, Disgaea 4. The best non-Sony published Ps3 exclusive of the year.

Okay, yes, compared to Hyperdimension Neptune, Ar Tonellico Qoga and Atelier Rorona, that might not sound like much, but that still means it beats Yakuza 4.

Edit: Nevermind, misread

Raiyan 1.0:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

I was surprised too. I always thought Sony was king in Japan, seeing a XBox exclusive at the top of the list just boggles the mind.

On another note, also surprised to see Red Dead Redemption at #8. I know there's always been the stereotype out East that all Americans are cowboys who wear 10 gallon hats, holster six shooters on their hips, and eat nothing but steak and burgers (just as we hold Japan to being a land of giant monsters, giant robots, and the odd roaming tentacle demon), but I hardly expected an American cowboy-simulator would fly that well in Japan.

Raiyan 1.0:

Mind you, this is not representative of the sales figures, but rather that of 'satisfaction'. I know Reach is a good game, but still, this took me by surprise...

I could ask the next 10 guys I see what their most satisfying game was this past year, and depending on who I asked, I could produce hundreds of different results, all by asking people who LOOK like they would give me the answer I WANT. I assume that this is an attempt to suck up to the west, and it will probably work.

dogstile:
Aha, this is because, despite what people tell you, halo is /DAMN/ fun to play. The thrill of knocking out a warthogs back wheel and hitting it with a grenade launcher and watching it pop into the air before exploding is a marvelous thing.

That, and just so many of the awesome random things that happen.

Not to mention how amazingly fun custom games are.

I love this game.

Gottesstrafe:

On another note, also surprised to see Red Dead Redemption at #8. I know there's always been the stereotype out East that all Americans are cowboys who wear 10 gallon hats, holster six shooters on their hips, and eat nothing but steak and burgers (just as we hold Japan to being a land of giant monsters, giant robots, and the odd roaming tentacle demon), but I hardly expected an American cowboy-simulator would fly that well in Japan.

You'd be surprised, Westerns are very popular overseas; in some places they are more popular than here in America. It helps that the modern Western and the modern Samurai movie were basically born hand-in-hand. They share so many qualities in common its almost uncanny. Plus, beyond that, RDR was just a damn good game >__>. Though I bet a bunch of the more American qualities of the story probably slipped between the cracks, its likely no different than the way we see Okami.

OT: Halo: Reach is a fantastic game and its good to see it get recognized in any form, especially in a culture that is typically very biased against FPS and the big western franchises.

That...what? In Japan!?

dogstile:

Or getting killed by a 16 year old that looked up how to make a modded console...that's always fun too.

April fools was 19 days ago.

halo reach was an ok game
and the best in the franchise aside questionably the origninal
but fucking hell it wasn't great
much better games came out
look at assassins creed
great game franchise
good strong elements of gameplay
a 1/2 way good plot

halo had okish gameplay for an fps
the plot was generic but better than all previous installments aside combat evolved
the multiplayer matchmaking has the same community as any shooter
the firefight was however amazing and i loved it even more than i did in odst

Reviews and rankings in Japanese shows and magazines have always been pretty weird, but placing "AKB1/48 Idol wo Koi Shitara" 7th? Are you fucking kidding me? I am a fan of AKB48 to certain degree, but even so I though that game was an utter piece of shit.

This is surprising.

VERY surprising given the sales of the Xbox 360 in Japan and the general xenophobia the Japanese have towards western games.

*applause*

Halo has a decent niche following in Japan, but I never expected this. It was a good game, but I didn't see an Japanese appeal. Well, awesome job, Bungie.

Ordinaryundone:

Gottesstrafe:

You'd be surprised, Westerns are very popular overseas; in some places they are more popular than here in America. It helps that the modern Western and the modern Samurai movie were basically born hand-in-hand. They share so many qualities in common its almost uncanny. Plus, beyond that, RDR was just a damn good game >__>. Though I bet a bunch of the more American qualities of the story probably slipped between the cracks, its likely no different than the way we see Okami.

OT: Halo: Reach is a fantastic game and its good to see it get recognized in any form, especially in a culture that is typically very biased against FPS and the big western franchises.

The Japanese might look down on Westerners, but they love Western culture.

gritch:

Raiyan 1.0:

I'd have to look at the people who actually took this survey to try and explain this. I'm assuming the people who took this survey were subscribers to this gamer magazine. The demographic Gamer is probably the exact niche that buys xboxs in Japan. The fact that Halo Reach was well received by this particular niche in japan isn't that surprising.

Based on my assertions, your assertions are blatantly incorrect.

blakfayt:

Raiyan 1.0:

I could ask the next 10 guys I see what their most satisfying game was this past year, and depending on who I asked, I could produce hundreds of different results, all by asking people who LOOK like they would give me the answer I WANT. I assume that this is an attempt to suck up to the west, and it will probably work.

Clearly it's an attempt to annoy you. A massive conspiracy designed to achieve to a specific malicious or sycophantic goal because I disagree with results. Also, we never landed on the moon.

i call orwellian propaganda statistics. has to be.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here