Favorite Sci-fi space vessel/captain?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Many space based science fiction movies and books and games have two things in common.

A: A kick ass ship
B: And a kick ass captain.

I would make it a poll but i know theres bound to be more examples then i could think of.

So i ask you, what is your favorite ship from sci-fi and in extension your favorite captain?

Mine has to be a tie between the Normandy and Shepard (Mass Effect) and the Enterprise under kirk (Star trek)

It's kind of the same though since the Normandy, while being a stealth war vessel instead of an exploration based ship has a lot of homage moments to the enterprise (It blowing up and being rebuilt, stealing it, etc)

So for me they are both my favorites if that makes sense.

So, what about you guys?

Pirx the Pilot and whatever ship he's on.

I wonder if anyone knows what I'm talking about.

I saw your avatar and knew you'd have already taken my answer.

Other good answers include captain picard, with so much backbone they had to cut a section out of his chair to accomodate it, and Col Caldwell in stargate for being Mitch Pileggi.

Pretty obvious answer for me:

Captain Picard and Captain Kirk.

Favorite ship is the Enterprise.

Captain Jean Luc Picard of the U.S.S Enterprise.

Kukulski:

No idea sorry xD

Zantos:

Other good answers include captain picard, with so much backbone they had to cut a section out of his chair to accommodate it, and Col Caldwell in stargate for being Mitch Pileggi.

Heh :D

But which picard, the movie or TV version??

Definitely the Normandy SR2 and Shepard.

Kukulski:

Stanislaw Lem.

And I'm afraid I would have to go with Jean Luc Picard of the U.S.S Enterprise. from TV as well.

THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!

Kukulski:

Farscape?

i think ill go with Mel and Serenity

CommanderKirov:

Kukulski:

Stanislaw Lem.

And I'm afraid I would have to go with Jean Luc Picard of the U.S.S Enterprise. from TV as well.

THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!

I'll be different and say Babylon 5, Captain Sheridan. Sure it's a space station, but... whatever.

mal and serenity

Doctor/Type 40 Tardis

/thread

Saviordd1:

Zantos:

Other good answers include captain picard, with so much backbone they had to cut a section out of his chair to accommodate it, and Col Caldwell in stargate for being Mitch Pileggi.

Heh :D

But which picard, the movie or TV version??

Oooooh hard choice, I'm going to go for TV version, but that's not saying I don't love him in the films too.

Also

Captain Picard. No poll :(.

Malcolm Reynolds and Serenity :)

Shepard and Normany.

Either Han Solo or Mal. Tough choice. I grew up with Han Solo but have really enjoyed Firefly lately

It's a tough call, but one of my favorites is actually "Kain Blueriver" and "The Swordbreaker", one of the few times I'll actually nominate an anime. That's pretty obscure though.

I really liked the show "Farscape" but the nature of the ship and crew sort of prevents it from a nomination here since the ship is a living entity (a character unto itself) and they really don't have a "captain" or even a clear chain of command, which is half their problem.

"Dylan Hunt" and "The Andromeda Ascendant" was a pretty good team too (Andromeda) but the inconsistant writing and some of the "huh, what?" plot points in that universe that spill over onto the characters and ship also mean that I can't give it a heartfelt nomination.

In my heart I'd like to say Captain Kirk beause he was the first great captain of this sort to get massive recognition in pop culture, but I think a lot of things have done it better since. Picard is okay, but I am one of those who always preferred Kirk. "Star Trek" has put out some great shows, with some good casts of characters, but Kirk was the only captain that had me always cheering for him. All of the other ones (Picard, Sisko, Janeway) just never got the same reaction, as all of them went through periods where I actually found them more annoying than anything. At least when Kirk was an arrogant schmuck he made it entertaining
as opposed to me simply wanting them to dump him out the nearest air lock so we could get on with the plot in a more common sense fashion.

The whole "captain and his spaceship" thing is such a trope through so much media that it's really hard to narrow it down to one if your familiar with a lot of material.

While my opinions of Anime are mixed (as I mentioned above) one other one that should probably get Honorable mention even if I'm not a huge fan is "Captain Harlock" and "The Arcadia". I'm not a big fan, but I'm kind of surprised that nobody mentioned him right off the bat with all the anime fans here. One of the longest running, and most spin-off intensive anime universes out there has largely been built around that character.

AugustFall:

Firefly only in #17 on this sort of thread on the Escapist?.... I thought the Escapist Flora loved that show....

Saviordd1:

Mine has to be a tie between the Normandy and Shepard (Mass Effect) and the Enterprise under kirk (Star trek)

Can we pretend that the Normandy has a holodeck? Because in that case, it's the Normandy...as captained by Picard.

I don't know if there will ever be a ship cooler than the Millenium Falcon although honorable mentions go to Serenity and Galactica.

Captain Malcolm Reynolds and the Serenity. I like to think that a captain is only as good as his crew... and Mal has quite the colourful crew working for him.

Sholto Unwerth, master of the freighter Arethusa. Cookie for anyone who knows what I'm talking about

Lafiel...

:D

vrbtny:

AugustFall:

Firefly only in #17 on this sort of thread on the Escapist?.... the user quality is going down somewhat....

User quality is based on your opinions? I didn't realize.

Star Wars is my favourite sci fi universe but Patrick Stewart is my favourite actor and Jean Luc Picard is not only badass he is well characterized.

The point of this thread is to see others favourites, no need to passively aggressively flame anyone who isn't a super Firefly fan.

Mine's gotta be the Eisenstien in Warhammer 40k.

...and its captain, Nathanial Garro.

c_westerman13:
Doctor/Type 40 Tardis

/thread

What he said.

Lister and Red Dwarf

The CAT And Bora Horza Gobuchul.

vrbtny:

AugustFall:

Firefly only in #17 on this sort of thread on the Escapist?.... the user quality is going down somewhat....

I love how every character is the same on that show

Why it have to be Captain Buck O Hare of course! He is a green space rabbit and kick ass!

For ship, I'm tempted to go with the so very classic Millennium Falcon or Serenity. One of my favourite space vessels is Cloud 9 from Battlestar but it's not a bad-ass ship so yeah, Falcon/Serenity
As for captain...

c_westerman13:
Doctor/Type 40 Tardis

/thread

Damn, ninja'd.
But yeah, I mean instantaneous time/space travel plus a captain/pilot who is an insane genius who's favourite meal is fish fingers and custard (in his current regeneration).

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked