Is Mario dead? A theory.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Hello escapists,
I am currently playing Super Mario Galaxy 2 and it got me to think about how all the Mario games are (or rather aren't) connected. Two things in particular got me to develop a fun little theory about the Mario universe:

1. Why does every Mario game recycle the same, boring story?

2. This article on cracked.com, specifically the first entry: http://www.cracked.com/article_19172_8-creepy-video-game-urban-legends-that-happen-to-be-true.html

The theory in a nutshell is this: Mario has been either dead or, and I like this thought even more, in a coma since he first failed in the original Super Mario Bros on NES. Now bear with me:

1. Every true Mario game basically tells the same story. Bowser has kidnapped (for reasons unknown?) Mario's love, the princess. Mario sets out alone (!) to save her and bring her back.
I consider the true Mario games to be: Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros The Lost Levels, Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy 1+2.
Donkey Kong does not count because Nintendo stated that the ape in the game is actually Cranky Kong from Donkey Kong Country and therefore Jumpman cannot be our Mario, for he would be a lot older. The European and American Super Mario Bros 2 isn't a Mario game at all (not originally anyway) , so it's not part of the original "mythology". The Gameboy and RPG titles are spin-offs, as are all the Sport games.
Now, why does Mario relieve the same adventure over and over again? He either died or fell into a coma when he was first killed/seriously injured in his first quest to save the princess.
Think about this: How many times have you died playing Super Mario Bros? Unless you have serious gaming skills, I would guess a lot, probably even in the first stage. So the chances of Mario actually defeating Bowser without dying are close to none.
Mario is no hero. He is just a regular dude, a chubby plumber with no special abilities whatsoever. He died/fell into a coma failing to save his love and is now condemned to (either in hell or in his coma-induced dreams) die and fail over and over again. Eventually he succeeds in defeating Bowser, only to be dreaming up new adventures and scenarios. Mario is trapped in an endless (?) cycle of failure and success, trying to overcome the trauma of losing Princess Peach.
Is there hope for salvation? Maybe. The first Mario games all took place in coherent, well-designed worlds that made sense in the Mario universe: Mushroom Kingdom, Dinosaur Island, Peach's Castle and Isle Delfino. Now we have the "world" of the Galaxy games: disconnected obstacle courses, floating in space and making less sense. Mario's dreams are literally starting to crumble which leads me to:

2. BeyondHellValley... okay. This seriously creeped me out. Trees? They are definitely not trees. If they were, why are there only three of them? All in one spot? In a world consisting of fire, ice and rock? With eyes and arms? I don't think so. As scary and disturbing as they are, their presence actually makes sense in the dead/coma theory.
If Mario is dead, could they be the creators or sustainers of his personal hell? They obviously should not be seen, but in the Galaxy games Mario's illusions are breaking down and so he is able to catch a glimpse of his tormentors.
If Mario fell into a coma, could these shadow figures be impressions of the real world, sneaking into his dreams? Friends or family members standing by his hospital bed? Supposedly they can be seen again in one of the last galaxies you reach after collecting all the green stars. I'm not there yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

So, that's it for now.
My brother told me, he will give me 100 Euros if Nintendo releases a statement confirming this theory, haha. Probably not, but it was fun nonetheless.
I don't know if there are similar theories floating around the internet. If there are, please post some links or explain them.
What are your thoughts on this? Can you think of anything from other Mario games to back this up? Does any of this even make sense to you? Any contributions are more than welcome!

EDIT: To clarify: I am not criticising the Mario games in any way, I love them as they are. Also I do not honestly think that this theory could actually be true. As some of you pointed out: It's Nintendo. Don't read too much into it.
That may be true, but it's still fun :)

lol! I seriously seriously doubt it, but this is a great theory. I think Nintendo are more on the "oh this will do" type storey rather than a more complex Mario dead/coma theory. Never now, maybe one of the Mario RPG's, rather than a Galaxy style game might pick up on this but I think its highly unlikely.

Mario's dead...

Where the hell is that Super Zombie Mario game?

Gamurga:

2. This article on cracked.com, specifically the first entry: http://www.cracked.com/article_19172_8-creepy-video-game-urban-legends-that-happen-to-be-true.html

I read that the other day. Interesting article.

However I doubt he is. Firstly Mario is a child-friendly game so doing something like having him living some pre-death fantasy would seem a little too dark (albeit as that article states, Luigi could also be dead!)

It's a cool theory though - but I would be inclined to say that the Mario series is dead as, like you said, they keep recycling the same stories. I've never been a huge fan of the series; I find the games quite tedious and dull /flameshield.

Well not that his normal world wasnt hellish enough
Yeah i can understand your point. The beloved hero of children, just the Sisyphos of modernity.

I like that idea.

Here's my theory:

It's Nintendo. You're looking too hard into things.

Gamurga:
1. Why does every Mario game recycle the same, boring story?

Because the games aren't about story. They're about great platforming gameplay, and they deliver. Not every game is trying to be Red Dead Redemption or Mass Effect when it comes to story, and not every game should be trying to.

Plus, the basic set-up Mario games usually give just to get the game started are always better than trying to do a more detailed story and making it shit. Remember when Sonic's plots used to be "Dr. Robotnik is kidnapping your animal friends and stuffing them into robots, go save them and kick his butt"? And now we get junk like Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Unleashed, and *shudder* Sonic 2006 telling these awful stories that make no damn sense at all and sometimes border on creepy.

A basic "go save the princess" story might not have much meat on it, but at least it's not a bad story.

A homeless man in a plumber's outfit that is constantly tripping on acid?
A midget in an insane asylum?

Or maybe, just a cartooney character in a children's game?

Sounds like the

which sounds like the

(which is my favorite, and possibly the most disturbing).

both of which are just people trying to darken a children's games subject material.

Mario is actually Gannon and the innocent Mario adventures are what he dreams when sleeping in a coma after being beaten by Link. Mario and Zelda timelines are all precisely mapped out by Nintendo and mesh together perfectly.

More Fun To Compute:
Mario is actually Gannon and the innocent Mario adventures are what he dreams when sleeping in a coma after being beaten by Link. Mario and Zelda timelines are all precisely mapped out by Nintendo and mesh together perfectly.

Haha, I love it, but why would Ganon dream about being a hero? Is he really a misunderstood, sad little man(pig) who wants to save the princess instead of kidnapping her?

Gamurga:
Haha, I love it, but why would Ganon dream about being a hero? Is he really a misunderstood, sad little man(pig) who wants to save the princess instead of kidnapping her?

People normally like to think that they are in the right no matter what they do. In the real world he actually thinks he has to act that way and that the world just doesn't understand him so when he dreams he imagines a world where people recognise his heroism. Nintendo have actually done a really great job with the characterisation. Very few fictional characters have such perfectly mapped out motivations and internal lives as the creators think that it just isn't worth the effort and doesn't help make the piece any more entertaining. But Nintendo are working on a detailed eighty year plan where an incredibly detailed world is created over the life of one hundred games. It's just a little sad that geniuses who planned it all out will probably not live long enough to see the final episode that links everything together. But their younger fans probably will, so stay healthy and keep the faith.

1. Does Mario really need a deep story?

2. It's like Super Mario 2 never ended.

since princess peach is the mother of at least one of Bowsers children and in my opinion all of them id have to say that the entire game franchise is based on princess peaches perception of the standard wooing of another mans wife. In reality Bowser and Peach are just a married couple and Mario is the other man, this would also explain the reason that her children and Bowser look like monsters because thats how she perceives them since she obviously believes it is monstrous to keep her away from her consequence free happiness.

Mario games aren't about the story. They are about the levels.

Think about Sonic, the minute they tried to give him some depth and storyline it all went horribly wrong. Just leave it alone and let us play our levels.

Thanks.

xXxJessicaxXx:
Mario games aren't about the story. They are about the levels.

Think about Sonic, the minute they tried to give him some depth and storyline it all went horribly wrong. Just leave it alone and let us play our levels.

Thanks.

I completely agree, please do not get me wrong. I truly love the above mentioned Mario games for their perfect gameplay and brilliantly designed levels.
Of course the Mario games aren't about the story, I don't even think they need one and that is exactly why it was so much fun to think about all that stuff I talked about. I was simply trying to interpret some meaning into something perfectly meaningless, just for the fun of it.
So please play your levels, I will do the same.

You're welcome.

The dying-dream/coma thing has been used for every book, movie, or video game ever made. If you look hard enough you can find it in anything.

Commander Shepard has been in a coma since the beacon on Eden Prime exploded, that's why he's able to come back from the dead and be the savior of the universe for example.

I somehow doubt if the guys at Nintendo are harboring some dark secret to scare children and if they don't think its true, its not canon and its just a wracked out theory. In games everything outside of the game is only quasi-real anyways. Games take there basis from the collective will of those who make a and play them. Tripping out kook theories don';t change the greater flow of opinion.

I think that this is a really good theory and even though im sur that there is stuff like this out there, this is the first ive heard of it.
Although, what if its similar to the way nintendo did zelda and mario peach and bowser are linked with all of mushroom kingdom.If this was the case then as he was reborn again and again his mind would start to break and his adventers would get wilder and wilder. Still, even if this is true mario would be close to death as his mind finally leaves him entirely.
Please tell me what you think as to this theory.

I was just listening to the lyrics to the super mario bros theme song.
http://www.wiilovemario.com/2007/03/20/super-mario-bros-theme-song-has-lyrics
And the last line seemed way too coincidental
"Mario's adventure is over for now,
but Mario's dream lives forever..."

Also the banner has mario sleeping.
http://imgur.com/mehiW

Mario's not dead: It's just that every Mario game is a different Dimension. In some Dimensions, Mario is from Brooklyn who finds the Mario Land; in others, he's a native of the place. That's the most logical explanation to me, at least since Galaxy got a sequel.

I've always subscribed to the theory that the princess lets Bowser kidnap her all the time, and Mario plays along because it's like some kind of twisted fantasy role-play between them and it's the only way they can get turned on.

Also, Bowser gets some of that as part of the deal.

You make a fun albeit farfetched read. The only reason a franchise repeats its formula is because it sells hard. No convoluted hidden message about it. The "beyond hell valley" people add a creepy touch but I don't think it goes beyond that.

perhaps you should turn it into a creepypasta

we have a boat load of pokemon ones and ben for zelda but I have not seen a good mario one yet

And yet again...

Interesting theory, guys. I'd just like to see what happens when he, uh, dies in that world. What happens then?

thesilentman:
And yet again...

Double necro, actually. The first time it got necro'd, a little over half a year ago, nobody bit.

Also,

Moonlight Butterfly:
Snip

I always wondered what happened to xXxJessicaxXx... Mind = Blown.

OT I suppose: I always chalked the "same boring story" up to Nintendo not bothering to actually put a more complicated story to Mario. Not that it really needs one, anyway. Gotta agree that "more complicated story" is where Sonic started going downhill, because Sega and Sonic Team rival Capcom with their standard of writing. Maybe the same is true of Nintendo. After all, it's not like Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, or any of their other franchises ever had complex, in-depth stories either. The first time Metroid got a deep story was when it was handed off to another developer.

that's....actually pretty creepy. but i doubt it goes beyond a few devs just throwing it in for the hell of it, hoping people like us would overthink in this kinda context. i wouldn't worry.

on a side note: there is a windows excel 95 creepypasta.

i wish i was kidding.

Gamurga:

My brother told me, he will give me 100 Euros if Nintendo releases a statement confirming this theory, haha. Probably not, but it was fun nonetheless.

if mario was on another system besides Nintendo we would have seen a darker gritty reboot by now.i imagine in that game mario would indeed be in a coma or dead and haunted by his fear/memories of not being able to save peach. in the end mario would face bowser after killing countless turtles and innocent mushrooms and the question would be raised. do you feel like a hero now?
the game would be called super mario ops: the line

Marios been dead for years, just not in the way you describe :P

DeadlyYellow:
Here's my theory:

This. Anyone remember the days where games weren't analyzed like a bloody English Assignment?

imahobbit4062:

DeadlyYellow:
Here's my theory:

This. Anyone remember the days where games weren't analyzed like a bloody English Assignment?

Why can't they be?

Full:

imahobbit4062:

DeadlyYellow:
Here's my theory:

Why can't they be?

In Mario's case, it's because it's a simple 2D or 3D (depending on which Mario game you choose) platformer. I know gamers these days want everything to be artsy and incredibly deep and shit, that doesn't mean every game has to be.

imahobbit4062:

Full:

imahobbit4062:

Why can't they be?

In Mario's case, it's because it's a simple 2D or 3D (depending on which Mario game you choose) platformer. I know gamers these days want everything to be artsy and incredibly deep and shit, that doesn't mean every game has to be.

Oh ok, I thought you were just being a dick to that guy for no reason. Context skill -1.

Full:

imahobbit4062:

Full:

Why can't they be?

Oh ok, I thought you were just being a dick to that guy for no reason. Context skill -1.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of games that can be analyzed thoroughly with some pretty interesting theories, like the entirety of Spec Ops The Line or even certain aspects of games like the Mystery Man in Red Dead Redemption. Trying to read that deep into Mario though? That's looking way to hard into something when there isn't anything there.

Necro'd.
Thought this thread looked old...

Either way, it's over-analysis, and an amusing if obviously silly theory (similar to the silliness of the "Squall is Dead" theory).

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked