Minecraft - monsters keep spawning in my house?

Hello everyone, as fellow gamers I wonder if someone can help me... I've been having a serious issue lately in which monsters keep spawning in my house in Minecraft. The entire house is very well lit, and there are no gaps in the walls I can find... is this some sort of glitch?

Basically whenever I try to sleep in the house they keep appearing, very irritating! Does anyone have any solutions?

Leaving the door open at night?
Any dirt parts on the floor?
I saw a part about that happening on the Minecraft wiki, but it didn't say what the cause was >.>
Edit: Oh, and I haven't actually had that happen to me, despite actually trying to get it to happen >.>

Did you offend Notch in some way so made your particular version of the game try to kill you more than normal? [/paranoia]

Obviously you built your house on an ancient creeper burial ground
In order to appease the angry spirits, you must construct a giant golden cock-n-balls in front of your house immediately!

The trick is to put a door on the same level as your bed and close it, so make a bedroom and and a door, if it's closed when you sleep there won't be any monsters.

I forget why it does this but that's the best fix.

Its a bug of the bed.
When u put the bed with left or right side at a wall, for some reason all kinds of mobs spawn to wake u up.
Just move ur bed to have both sides clear.

Make sure your house is really well lit. I mean REALLY well lit. With the new lighting engine, I've found it's hard to tell if I have enough torches. May want to switch to the old lighting just when placing torches in your house.

I had the same problem when I decided to add a balcony to my bedroom.
Whenever I used the bed, a zombie or so would spawn next to me.

The balcony was high above ground, well lit and had a fence.
From the balcony, you could freely walk into the bedroom. There was no way mobs could jump on it or fall on it from above.
Trying to stop the midnight mob invasion, I closed the balcony off with a double door.
Even with the doors closed, the mobs kept spawning.

Since then, I've walled off the balcony, so that it's no longer functional but just ornamental, and the mobs have left me alone since. It's all very strange.

Actually, I think I know what the problem might be... usually the cause of this is where your bed is located, how it's located, and how much space is around the bed. The best way to avoid this problem is to make a hole (or an underground house) about 7 or 8 meters deep (each cubic block is a meter). Then put some torches for proper lighting. After that make sure that where ever you put the bed, that at least one side of it is touching a wall.

If that's too much or if it doesn't work. Then you can just enclose the entire bed in dirt or whatever and that usually works. Hope it helps.

Did you check the groudn beneath you for a mob spawner? If it's underground, you may have built over a dungeon.

Simalacrum:
Basically whenever I try to sleep in the house they keep appearing...

The patch notes probably could have done a better job explaining this. XD

The problem this is happening, most likely, is that you're still violating the lighting rules for sleeping. In order to sleep, there can't be any area within a large radius of the bed that can spawn monsters. It checks for walls, but if you're right next to a wall, it won't be enough unless there's nothing on the other side of the wall.

My advice would be to make the walls thicker on the other side, that usually solves it. If aesthetic doesn't bother you, then just move the bed more towards the center of the house.

Finally, I'd advise you go to the Minecraft Forums (www.minecraftforum.net) for this type of stuff, since there's waaaay more people there who are knowledgeable on the subject.

Simalacrum:
Hello everyone, as fellow gamers I wonder if someone can help me... I've been having a serious issue lately in which monsters keep spawning in my house in Minecraft. The entire house is very well lit, and there are no gaps in the walls I can find... is this some sort of glitch?

Basically whenever I try to sleep in the house they keep appearing, very irritating! Does anyone have any solutions?

The bed needs to have 2 blocks of safety on all sides of it. If it's up against a wall, make the room bigger to accommodate or use lots of torches outside of your house to make the area safe. If you don't get what I mean I'll explain it in more detail.

Simalacrum:

Is your bed placed against a wall?

My first thought was that your base has inadequate lighting, a hole in the wall, or a connection to a poorly lit area (without a door between the 2), but no, that doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe you keep accidentally leaving the door open? Otherwise it's probably a glitch with the bed, is it up against a wall?

Greyfox105:
I saw a part about that happening on the Minecraft wiki, but it didn't say what the cause was >.>
Edit: Oh, and I haven't actually had that happen to me, despite actually trying to get it to happen >.>

No, with adequate lighting, grass inside a base just spawns animals, no mobs. Believe me, I've had issues with animals spawning inside.

Xirema:

Simalacrum:
Basically whenever I try to sleep in the house they keep appearing...

The patch notes probably could have done a better job explaining this. XD

The problem this is happening, most likely, is that you're still violating the lighting rules for sleeping. In order to sleep, there can't be any area within a large radius of the bed that can spawn monsters. It checks for walls, but if you're right next to a wall, it won't be enough unless there's nothing on the other side of the wall.

My advice would be to make the walls thicker on the other side, that usually solves it. If aesthetic doesn't bother you, then just move the bed more towards the center of the house.

Finally, I'd advise you go to the Minecraft Forums (www.minecraftforum.net) for this type of stuff, since there's waaaay more people there who are knowledgeable on the subject.

Alternatively, you can dig a moat around your home/just on the bedroom side, or build your home on the side of a cliff. I think the official solution is "If monsters can access a tile two blocks away, they will attack you in your sleep".

Additional research has revealed that sometimes if you go to sleep while your furnace is going, a hostile mob will spawn and disrupt sleep.

Make sure your house is well lit, they can spawn on any material that has not got adequate lighting.

You might have a look at the Wiki page for beds, I think the issue is that you bed is probably up against a wall with the other side of the wall outside of your house. I think that the rule is that if a monster can walk to within two blocks of your bed then they can spawn on you while you sleep. Also you can't build a bed near a monster spawner and expect to sleep no matter what.

Check to make sure your house isn't missing a corner piece

----- <--
||||||||
||||||||
||||||||

sort of like that. I noticed I had monsters spawning in my house, I filled in that piece, they stopped spawning. Might be your problem as well.

Simalacrum:

It's a bed glitch, basically if you have a bed up against a wall that is only one block thick, a monster will spawn when you try to sleep

Examples (X= Wall, B= Bed, 0= Empty Space)

UNSAFE!

XXXXXXX
XB0000X
XB0000X
X00000X
X00000X
XXXXXXX

SAFE!

XXXXXXX
X00000X
X0B000X
X0B000X
X00000X
XXXXXXX

SAFE!

XXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXX
XXB0000XX
XXB0000XX
XX00000XX
XX00000XX
XXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXX

if you have double doors and both are closed it registers one of the doors as open so technically you have left a door in your house open

Yeah im having kind of a different problem
you see the monster noises are there and when i try to go to bed it says that i cant go to sleep because monsters are nearby.
Also im pretty sure that the you get out of bed a way that if a wall is blocking your path you will spawn inside the wall and take damage until you die. try leaving 1 block of space to each side of the bed. as for my problem, im not sure i will ever sleep again in that house

Simalacrum:
-snip-

Greyfox105:

Dort floors should have nothing to do with it. As long as the room is sealed off and has enough light it doesn't matter what the floors, walls, or ceilings are made of.

Anyway, Sim I know exactly what your problem is. Your bed is too close to the outside. See, if your bed is within two blocks of an area that can spawn mobs, they will wake you up and attack you like that. What you need to do is either reinforce your walls or move your bed further in so it's not in this range. Here's a diagram that shows you the sort of spacing you need:

I know. Newbie to thread reactivated year old thread, but I found my problem was solved by the placement of outside door. If you place the door from inside of house, somehow the monsters get in. When I put door on my house while standing outside, they stopped entering my home.

Somehow, the game sees it as a corner not covered as someone mentioned.

Wow, this thread was necro'd twice... There's 3 people here who've only made a single post... This thread has over 75,000 views and less than a page worth of replies. Interesting...

I shall answer this zombie thread because I can.

It's a glitch, it will be patched. (Or it may have already been...)

The funny thing is that there was no point in reviving this thread because the sleeping system has been changed. Now you simply can't go to sleep if there are mobs within 10 blocks.

But that wasn't the problem in my case. I was completely sealed off except by the door as I had described. When I made the change, no more zombies. This just happened a week ago on Xbox 360. And you're right, you can't sleep if monsters are nearby thus the only thing I found was the way the door was placed. I checked every inch of my house.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked