Hardest Video Game Superbosses

Pages 1 2 NEXT

A lot of video games have one or multiple 'superbosses', optional bosses that are more difficult than the ones you'd encounter along the main game. So, what superboss sticks out in your gaming experience? Post the boss name, the game its from, what makes it tough, and if you see one you know how to beat, give advice!
For me, I've been having trouble with the Ice Titan in the first Kingdom Hearts. -_- I know I'm supposed to deflect it's ice attacks back at it, but it's very hard to do and I usually get killed. Also, Kurt Zisa (I think its called), the desert monster in KH, slaughters me every time I fight it.

I'm tempted to say Kangaxx from Baldur's Gate because while I had substantial knowledge of D&D and knew exactly how to kill him fast, a lot of my friends had significant trouble. Just look at how many guides there are to killing him. He's immune to anything lower than +4 weapons and casted insta-kill spells. (Protection against magic and abjuration with lots of summons)

And Demogorgon from Watcher's Keep. (Traps and Spellcasting out of sight - or just seal him)

Edit: Also, Tholapsyx from NWN 2 could have taken the King of Shadows. Hardest damn boss in the game. (Casters with spam missile storm while Construct and other fighters keep it away)

I've never really gone out of my way to fight the superbosses in games. The only one I've ever fought myself would be Minerva from Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core. I imagine it would have been an extremely difficult battle had I not had all the maxed out SP Masters which negated all damage.

Another tough one that I DID manage to beat- the Dream Devourer from Chrono Trigger DS.

Not just an optional superboss, but also an optional Final boss. Constantly inflicts confuse on your party and can negate status immunity. Also, it changes its weaknesses and counters all attacks with it's confuse attack midway through the fight.

Sephiroth from KH1 and 2.

I've only beaten the second one as he was slightly easier.

I've also attempted to fight Emerald Weapon in FF7. Didn't go so well. >_>

I can't really think of that many super bosses other than Ruby and Emerald Weapon from FF7.

Emerald I beat pretty easy. You just need the underwater materia on someone and a few select materia on other people. It is important to not have too much materia equipped though because one of the attacks deals damage that increases by 1000 (I think) per materia you have.

Ruby I never defeated. I know the trick is to go into the fight with all but 1 party member dead and use the Pheonix summon. Doing that makes it so that Ruby won't fling your team out of the fight.

Also, for non-FF7: In Chrono Cross for the PS1 theres an optional boss, but I don't know if hes considered a super boss since he's only like 3/4ths of the way into the game (actually, probably not even that since its before you get turned back into Serge). His name is Dario and he absolutely slaughters unprepared players. The trick is to have stolen the Black Plate from the black dragon with Fargo and equip it to a good healer character like Riddel. With the Black Plate equipped, the wearer absorbs any damage of the black element, which is the majority of Dario's nasty attacks that can possibly kill an ill-prepared character in one hit.

I fought and won against Dullahan in Golden Sun. I don't usually go for optional bosses so I can't compare his difficulty to anyone else.

Fidelias:
I fought and won against Dullahan in Golden Sun. I don't usually go for optional bosses so I can't compare his difficulty to anyone else.

This guy. He was effin' hard (even getting to him was a challenge), but the reward was awesome.

KefkaCultist:
Ruby I never defeated. I know the trick is to go into the fight with all but 1 party member dead and use the Pheonix summon. Doing that makes it so that Ruby won't fling your team out of the fight.

ACTUALLY! If you have more then one using that, after about a couple of turns he WILL use the sandpool attack thing getting rid of them. You HAVE to go 1v1 the whole fight. I beat him however.
Elixers, Dazers, hero potions, W-Summon, W-Item, Slow, Haste, and Knights of the round. Final attack + Life 2 is good to have as well. JUST NO PHOENIX. And also have HP and MP+50%s on as well for 9999HP and 999 MP
(I shouldn't have to say this but all materia mastered is a must.)

1. Start with hasting yourself and slowing him and his tentacles. W-item Elixir/hero potion when you get low on HP.
2. W-Item Elixer again and Dazer him. (Dazers stop him for one entire turn. Including his Ultima after being hit.)
3. W-summon Knights
4. Repeat step 2 and 3 till he is dead.

If he kills you, Final + Life 2 will help you. Start at 1 again.
DONE.

You just beat him 1v1. Congrats. I got him within 10 turns with this.

OT: For me it was Yiazmat. 50 MILLION HP. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

If you're counting MMO's:

Absolute Virtue from FFXI.

Was unkillable for nearly 7 years. And even when people found some glitch way to kill him, they'd patch it.

Pandemonium Warden was just as bad. Some of the best players across all servers fought him for 18 hours before giving up due to... well obvious reasons. Made Yahoo news, which then prompted Square Enix to nerf him WAY down.

Aeonknight:

Was unkillable for nearly 7 years. And even when people found some glitch way to kill him, they'd patch it.

Pandemonium Warden was just as bad. Some of the best players across all servers fought him for 18 hours before giving up due to... well obvious reasons. Made Yahoo news, which then prompted Square Enix to nerf him WAY down.

Any game counts. And I'd heard about that. 0_0

pg.shadowrunner:

Aeonknight:

Any game counts. And I'd heard about that. 0_0

What's funny is we figured out how to kill PW, before Absolute Virtue. And AV was in the game before him.

Edit: But we did eventually figure it out recently... so he's not STILL unkillable.

Another tip for Ruby Weapon: Hades summon inflicts Stop for a bit. I've heard W-summoning Bahamut Zero works too, but it takes a lot longer.

With Emerald, I think there's a glitch where Cait Sith's slots, the one where he becomes huge, and the instant win one, actually insta-kills him.

I agree on FF12 Yiazmat, but the curious thing to me was that he never really seemed hard per se: I can't remember if ever he ever actually wiped me out (I.e. all 6 characters dead), he was just very, very, VERY long. I just found out about some kind of glitch where you get him next to some stairs, forcing him to only use Death Strike instead his claw attacks (although he'll still use Cyclone).

As for KH Ice Titan: DON'T hit the icicles back, DO guard when they come.

KH 1 Sephiroth: I'm guessing the problem is Sin Harvest? (he leaves you with one health) - Equip the Strike Raid ability and lock-on and attack instead of chasing after him. It works for me about 99% every time.

Right now I'm playing Legend of Dragoon for PS1 - the boss is Faust, a very strong magic user who attacks several times per turn, especially as counters. There's a rhythm to fighting him but I haven't found it yet.

Oh no here we go again

vid87:
Another tip for Ruby Weapon: Hades summon inflicts Stop for a bit. I've heard W-summoning Bahamut Zero works too, but it takes a lot longer.

I tried with hades but that is not a guaranteed stop. Dazers are. And Bahamut Zero only hits once. Knight hit 13 times. With hero potions and decent health on Cloud (IF you have the ultimate sword on him), That is 9999x13. Meaning 130000 damage. W-summon means 260000 in 1 turn. 3 of these = You kicked his ass. So yeah my strategy works better.

Solo-Wing:

vid87:

I tried with hades but that is not a guaranteed stop. Dazers are. And Bahamut Zero only hits once. Knight hit 13 times. With hero potions and decent health on Cloud, That is 9999x13. Meaning 130000 damage. W-summon means 260000 in 1 turn. 3 of these = You kicked his ass. So yeah my strategy works better.

You realise you can Quadra Magic and W-Summon Bahumat Zero so it gets cast 8 times in a row.

Ruby also casts Ultima as a counter to Knights without fail.

Solo-Wing:

KefkaCultist:

ACTUALLY! If you have more then one using that, after about a couple of turns he WILL use the sandpool attack thing getting rid of them. You HAVE to go 1v1 the whole fight. I beat him however.
Elixers, Dazers, hero potions, W-Summon, W-Item, Slow, Haste, and Knights of the round. Final attack + Life 2 is good to have as well. JUST NO PHOENIX. And also have HP and MP+50%s on as well for 9999HP and 999 MP

This tactic works actually but you can't cast Phoenix until he buries his claws in the sand. Once he does that he will never do the sand attack and you can resurrect the other two.

OT: Demi-Fiend in Digital Devil Saga...... evil evil fight. I won't explain why as it is really complicated and he is just a pain.

Absolute Virtue without a doubt. SE had to release video hints on how to beat him and people still couldn't figure it out. Some people killed him by glitching a couple of times but that wasn't the intended way so it got patched. It took people what, 7 years to kill it? That is insane. I think they finally nerfed it so people could beat it.

GG impossible bosses.

Tallim:

Solo-Wing:

vid87:

I tried with hades but that is not a guaranteed stop. Dazers are. And Bahamut Zero only hits once. Knight hit 13 times. With hero potions and decent health on Cloud, That is 9999x13. Meaning 130000 damage. W-summon means 260000 in 1 turn. 3 of these = You kicked his ass. So yeah my strategy works better.

You realise you can Quadra Magic and W-Summon Bahumat Zero so it gets cast 8 times in a row.

Solo-Wing:

KefkaCultist:

This tactic works actually but you can't cast Phoenix until he buries his claws in the sand. Once he does that he will never do the sand attack and you can resurrect the other two.

Nope! He will STILL do it after a bit. If there is more then 1 person fighting he WILL use it. So do NOT use Phoenix.
Oh and He can't use Ultima under the effects of Dazers.

(I have not played the PSN version of FF7, They might have fixed it in that. I just got the PS1 version)

Solo-Wing:

Tallim:

Solo-Wing:

Solo-Wing:

Nope! He will STILL do it after a bit. If there is more then 1 person fighting he WILL use it. So do NOT use Phoenix.
Oh and He can't use Ultima under the effects of Dazers.

(I have not played the PSN version of FF7, They might have fixed it in that. I just got the PS1 version)

Curious, never seen him do that ever and I have killed him so many times it's not even funny. :/ PS1 version is the only version I have played.

Of course the Lucky 7s method is general the best.

Penitent:

Oh no here we go again

I hate this fucking asshole.

Tallim:

Solo-Wing:

vid87:

Forgot about Quad. Honestly, after spending hours using Bahamut, I said "Screw it" and ended up using KOTR when I beat him. It's what the strategy guide suggests and I would think there would be more satisfaction in the prize (Gold Chocobo) since you skip the extra steps needed to get KOTR.

Fight this guy on hard mode (HOLY SHIT IS THAT HARD!)

He's not even a final boss too!

EDIT: I just realized its about optional bosses, I guess I'll just leave him there then....

Tough call, I can't recall a superboss I've ever failed to eventually beat. Emerald Weapon likely caused me the most grief though.

Yes, I'm sure there's a hyperbillion methods to fast-kill him by now since FFVII is such a heavily played game, but I'm talking only using the tricks you can figure out yourself before such things were public (KoTR, Master Materia, Phoenix-Final Attack, Aire Tam Storm...). You're on a tight time limit against the boss with the most HP in the game hands-down, who gets five attacks for every three you get plus a powerful hit-all physical counter. I even tried spamming Double-KoTR mimicked endlessly and still ran out of time- you have to be judicious in your Materia selections, never equipping more than 8. For a while there I suspected my game was glitched to give him infinite HP.

Ozma from FFIX. Also from the same game I'm told Hades was difficult, but I never had a problem with him.

Or Prick from Pokemon Red (or blue, whatever you chose to call him). Just because you never knew when to expect the bastard but he always managed to rock up when you were half dead.

I recall Mizar of Jet Force Gemini being difficult for me, being amongst the first action games I played.

For pure stupidity - Penance of FFX. Of course, not breaking the game with Yojimbo only made this difficult.

Come to think of it - I'll say each FF as of VII has stupid bosses - Emerald of VII, Omega of VIII, Ozma of IX, XI's entire metagame. XII I can't really answer for as it's the only FF I've played only to completion and made no effort to enjoy the world afterwards. XIII was child's play.

I thought that Emerald was actually pretty easy. I had to beat him two times because my game froze due to a crappy disk. Just Knights of the Round plus two mimics and quite a bit of time. I remember getting up to get ice cream while waiting for him to die.

Meh to Jrpg bosses, arcade bosses are my kind of thing :). Like this Cave shmup boss rush mode Dodonpachi Daioujyo - Death Label (PS2) where you have to beat 5 bosses and then beat the same 5 again but theyre much harder, to top it off you have to fight two Hibachi's at the end.
No continues just 1 life, get hit once and its game over. Only one person has managed to do this to my knowledge, 7 years after the games release.

Heres a vid of the 2nd loop http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE-4wnfVVZE&feature=related

TriggerHappyAngel:

Fidelias:

This guy. He was effin' hard (even getting to him was a challenge), but the reward was awesome.

Don't think I ever actually beat him. And now I've lost my copy of Golden Sun: The Lost Age.

The rest of the game was fairly easy; surprisingly little grind was needed with the right tactics

the boss from fight night try beating him

ruby and emerald in FF7 were damn hard... the key for both was hero drinks though. And the mime materia, so you could mime omnislash on emerald.

KefkaCultist:
I can't really think of that many super bosses other than Ruby and Emerald Weapon from FF7.

Emerald I beat pretty easy. You just need the underwater materia on someone and a few select materia on other people. It is important to not have too much materia equipped though because one of the attacks deals damage that increases by 1000 (I think) per materia you have.

Worked on Ruby, actually. The key is to do what you just said, but also...Hades the hell out of him, because Ruby Weapon is susceptible to Stop/Freeze.

But I believe I'll say that perhaps the hardest is also in the worst settings. You know what I mean here, right? Yeah, that's right. Jack is going to rant about FF8 again. The boss they designed to be traumatizingly hard is the one that practically requires you to be cheating in order to win, which...incidentally includes the item that actually makes you invincible.

I'm talking about Omega Weapon. They designed that freak in FF8 specifically to challenge the players and for no other reason than that. Seriously, your prize for winning is essentially bragging rights. Now, here is why Omega is hard. First, you have to figure out how to actually get in a fight with the bastard, which requires quite a bit of footwork and timing as is. THEN...

Heh heh heh...then, you have to contend with the design of the game which would require all the tedious junctioning in order to prepare yourself in some manner to deal with this boss. You need your spells, your items, and all your ducks in a row, and probably something to automatically resurrect you...if you've had that sort of conscience and forethought to go through at the beginning of the game. Yes, you need more preparation for this guy in the game than all of the end-bosses combined, which can be irritating.

SO, you get by that red tape nonsense and there you are in the fight, hopefully with useful characters that will make a dent in it. He does, after all, have alot of HP and you will never have the advantage of him because this is FF8 and that's how their system works. And let us also not forget that Omega Weapon is maxed out in such a way that even a physical attack is highly-detrimental to the team, or that he has abilities that nearly-always guarentee instant death. Level-5 Death for one, Light Pillar and Terra Break for another.

You may find battles that are harder to fight, but I argue that this one is harder to handle, what with the preparation, dealing with the game's ability system, finding the bastard, and committing yourself to deal with him for probably a while, with very little pay off.

Shao Kahn, if he's a super boss.

Nex from Runescape

Seth from Street Fighter 4. Spamming son of a bitch.

Satan from Dante's Inferno. That flash attack thing is impossible to block.

This might sound awkward but Shao Kahn of the new mortal kombat... man that guy really pissed me off

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked