Water physics in minecraft

Pages PREV 1 2

The only thing that bothers me is that water does not level naturally.

IndianaJonny:

KeyMaster45:

Maraveno:
1 if I dig a channel I have to keep deepening out just to have the water connect because it stops flowing at a certain point.

Yeah, that starts to get rather annoying; I can understand the flow stopping after it goes a certain distance if your water is coming from somewhere where it would eventually drain out. If you are, however, digging your trench from say the ocean or from the point of origin for a flow of water then I don't think it should just stop flowing after a certain point.

How long is it since you built a sandcastle on the beach, chum? Moats are a nightmare! Minecraft's simple mechanic actually accounts for seepage quite well. Granted, the relative proportions are off but it preserves that child-like functionality about the environment.

Never, I've never built a sand castle on the beach. Don't live close enough to any that visiting them wouldn't fall under the money category of "big vacation". Though sans current flow mechanics in minecraft it should be as simple as digging your mote below the water line leaving, leaving space between it and your water source until you're done making it, and then filling it with said water source once you're done.

Though to be honest I've been dumping buckets of water into this hole I dug to try and make a swimming pool in Minecraft but I can't get it to fill past the one block level.

KeyMaster45:
Though to be honest I've been dumping buckets of water into this hole I dug to try and make a swimming pool in Minecraft but I can't get it to fill past the one block level.

Would a few water source blocks help?

Anyhow, here's a helpful vid.

Look up the "finite water" mod. It really is amazing. It basically makes the water effects 12.4 billion times more realistic. Although that does mean no more magic waterfalls. Also, you have to start a new world to make it work.

The physics annoy me so much I just avoid dealing with it. I hate creating a vortex I can't escape from inadvertently >.<

Maraveno:
SNIP

get (or make) a mod.

minecraft is very easy to mod, if you search around, you will probably find a suitable one.

i dont use them myself because i like the vanilla version.

IndianaJonny:

KeyMaster45:

Would a few water source blocks help?

Anyhow, here's a helpful vid.

Thanks for that, it was very helpful. :)

Maraveno:

1 still doesnt equate, and the 8 block spread stop is what I meant, Also most of the times when your in that 8 block water spread it doesn't spread further ifyou dig away at thesame lvl next to it, you need to digg deeper and then remove the block the water is currently flowin on which is ridiculous.
2 it doesn't flow regularly read above
3 have you ever had a water canal trying to use the meshed physics to create a perfect stream downwards into a hole?
It doesn't work the water just splashes out unto platforms on the side if they're there which with your calling on the physics should not happen.
4 water flows unto the first open block that it can flow on, but the flow discontinues quite easily and is disrupted when you remove blocks at the sides of the original starting point (which btw should equate water lvl's but doesn't)
5 it doesn't regenerate regularly tho , as stated before water in a lake is infinite water outside of one in man made canals/channels, just stops being there

1. You have GOT to be trolling me here. This is predictable, yet you complain that it ISN't predictable. The heck?

2. Uhm, you just agreed with me that it does. If you are having a specific problem, post pics, I'll be happy to help.

3. Yes. Giant Mob trap in the sky. Works great.

4. I'm not sure I understand what you are saying... Pics, would again be helpful.

5. It always regenerates regularly. Thats why people can make infinite springs. Dig a 2x2x1 hole. fill two diagonal corners with water and the other two will spawn source blocks. Now take any one of those source blocks and it always comes back. How is this not regular?

The thing about water in mincraft is it has approx 8 (9?) states. Source and each flowing block away from that source. The flow can be either partial, or a full block. But it cannot go on infinitely in the same horizontal direction. imagine each source block like a cup of water. If you spill the cup on a perfectly even surface, it will only spread so far. Now imagine that once the water hits the edge of its tension, it transitions back into the cup, continuing out again in an infinite loop. This is, more or less, exactly how the water physics work on a horizontal scale in minecraft. Learning out each of these states reacts to conditions around it is the key to understanding water physics. Its not really that hard. And as stated, the current simplicity/brokenness of the physics allows for some freakin' sweet stuff, while maintaining the overall ease of use for minecraft in general. I mean, hell, if you want good physics, start complaining about how only sand and gravel (and fluids) are affected by gravity. The simple fact is, the water fits the feel and theme of minecraft better than a 'realistic' style ever could.

Also: I can easily make a waterfall in minecraft. Why do you not think this is possible?

Just wondering for anyone who has played both of them.. how similar are minecraft's water physics to dwarf fortress, for example?

Because I have to agree with a lot of people. Realism < the ability to make a hydrostatic pressure based trap which hurls your enemies off a cliff.

drakythe:

Maraveno:

1 still doesnt equate, and the 8 block spread stop is what I meant, Also most of the times when your in that 8 block water spread it doesn't spread further ifyou dig away at thesame lvl next to it, you need to digg deeper and then remove the block the water is currently flowin on which is ridiculous.
2 it doesn't flow regularly read above
3 have you ever had a water canal trying to use the meshed physics to create a perfect stream downwards into a hole?
It doesn't work the water just splashes out unto platforms on the side if they're there which with your calling on the physics should not happen.
4 water flows unto the first open block that it can flow on, but the flow discontinues quite easily and is disrupted when you remove blocks at the sides of the original starting point (which btw should equate water lvl's but doesn't)
5 it doesn't regenerate regularly tho , as stated before water in a lake is infinite water outside of one in man made canals/channels, just stops being there

1. You have GOT to be trolling me here. This is predictable, yet you complain that it ISN't predictable. The heck?

2. Uhm, you just agreed with me that it does. If you are having a specific problem, post pics, I'll be happy to help.

3. Yes. Giant Mob trap in the sky. Works great.

4. I'm not sure I understand what you are saying... Pics, would again be helpful.

5. It always regenerates regularly. Thats why people can make infinite springs. Dig a 2x2x1 hole. fill two diagonal corners with water and the other two will spawn source blocks. Now take any one of those source blocks and it always comes back. How is this not regular?

The thing about water in mincraft is it has approx 8 (9?) states. Source and each flowing block away from that source. The flow can be either partial, or a full block. But it cannot go on infinitely in the same horizontal direction. imagine each source block like a cup of water. If you spill the cup on a perfectly even surface, it will only spread so far. Now imagine that once the water hits the edge of its tension, it transitions back into the cup, continuing out again in an infinite loop. This is, more or less, exactly how the water physics work on a horizontal scale in minecraft. Learning out each of these states reacts to conditions around it is the key to understanding water physics. Its not really that hard. And as stated, the current simplicity/brokenness of the physics allows for some freakin' sweet stuff, while maintaining the overall ease of use for minecraft in general. I mean, hell, if you want good physics, start complaining about how only sand and gravel (and fluids) are affected by gravity. The simple fact is, the water fits the feel and theme of minecraft better than a 'realistic' style ever could.

Also: I can easily make a waterfall in minecraft. Why do you not think this is possible?

pfff having to force myself to stay calm now
1 BECAUSE IT DOESN'T WORK! IT DOESN'T EQUATE LIKE YOU SAY IT DOES EITHER, if I bloody dig a 1 block canal from a lake say 4 blocks to the left of that lake in a 1 block ratio, and then I dig away one block left 1 block right with a 1 block barrier between the lake and these side from that 4 block canal the bloody thing doesn't spread out even though I'm digging from a stream comming from a lake.

Which means the water itself turns into half a block jus hanging on blocks

2 still
3 Apparently you haven't like I sugested, you wouldn't need pics cause I gave you a perfect description of the situation
4 it's like the issue in 1, but with the adition that you can only make water spread out if you dig deeper around the current borderlineblock and then remove the earth from under that block keeping your fingers crossed

I didn't say it was impossible, You must not have read the post properly.

Maraveno:

linwolf:
No it shouldn't. The water physics make it possibly to make some interesting thing and the game would loose a lot if they where changed.

Also what is you reason to call them terrible.

1 if I dig a channel I have to keep deepening out just to have the water connect because it stops flowing at a certain point.

2 water can't spread or equate.
3 water flows very irregularly
4 water is a block just like everything else but unlike sand it randomly chooses where to fall if you digg under it or try to channel it
5 it's unclear when water regenerates

1st: Yes, but that same mechanic allows you to create a lot of great tools like channels and water elevators.
2nd: I'm honestly not sure what you mean by this
3rd: Actually, it flows very regularly. It flows 7 squares from a source block in every direction
4th: I've found that water always falls exactly where I expect it. Could you elaborate I guess? Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you mean
5th: Water regenerates when you have 2 springs (Source blocks) in a 2x2 well on the diagonals:

Example:

XXXX
XOWX
XWOW
XXXX

X is stone, O is empty space, and W is a spring

If you set up a well like this, the two W blocks on the diagonals will create new W blocks in the O blocks. Once this happens, the water will regenerate infinitely. If you pull a water block from the well, the remaining three water blocks will fill it with a new water block.

NOTE THAT THIS DOES NOT WORK WITH LAVA. LAVA SOURCES CAN NOT BE PLACED NEXT TO EACH OTHER TO CREATE NEW SOURCES.

I've always found the water physics to predictable (if broken in some cases). Would I love being able to pressurize water like in DF, hell yeah, but I've never found water to behave other than I expect it to.

The only thing I don't like is that you can't fill in holes completely/permanently using a water source block, but I guess that's understandable otherwise you'd be able to flood an entire world from 1 source block placed sufficiently high on the map.

Apologies as I apparently do not understand what you are going after. I am operating from the assumption that inside of minecraft, water physics are predictable. Are you operating from the same principle, or are you operating from the principle that water should act like real world water? Maybe that is the issue. Regardless, I am sorry you don't enjoy the water physics, I find them great fun.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked