HOMEWORLD 3?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Okay people, umm... what's your opinion about HW finally getting a sequel? I'm aware it's been a while, but I'm willing to refresh it once again. Especially in light of this:

Eurogamer reported in November 2008 that Relic was "definitely looking" at creating Homeworld 3. "Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II" lead designer Jonny Ebbert commented that "We're really happy the IP has made its way home, and yeah, we're definitely looking at it. We'll see what happens in the future,".[7] Ebbert also commented that there was always a chance that the sequel could be in development behind closed doors. The strongest evidence indicating that Homeworld 3 is in development came from Relic's General Manager, Tarnie Williams indicating that "three or four" titles were in development while declining to elaborate further.[7]
(Taken from Homeworld 2's Wiki page)

Relic have a fourth development team which project is kept secret. There's been word of Relic announcing a new major RTS title this August! Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/02/15/new-relic-rts-to-be-announced-this-summer/

On top of this, here's what Relic did today (I'm repeating myself from another thread here):

If any of you have Facebook, please visit this link: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=question&id=10150203135528610

It should take you to an OFFICAL POLL by Relic Entertainment, asking people about their favorite Relic franchise. I voted Homeworld, and if any of you love the game, please vote too! :) THANKS! EDIT: By the way, this poll came up only 1 week after I posted on the same Relic page and asked them (politely) for Homeworld 3, and shared our support group... Coincidence?

P.S. Here's the Homeworld 3 support group on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_44390673909&ap=1

Be sure to check us out, we number more than 500 people! :)

Cheers! I hope someone gets interested in this! Thanks! :)

I loved homeworld, Sadly never really got around to playing Homeworld 2, but I kinda cringe at homeworld 3, the way games are dumbed down anymore its bound to be a pale shadow of Homeworld.

I don't have a facebook account. Could you post the results of the poll currently, please?

Also, I want Homeworld 3. I love the first game (not got round to playing the second). There's a group for us. :)

Eh.

I should love the Homeworld games. They're one of the few, if not the only, games to get space right.

Sadly, they're RTSs.

Queuing up build orders and right-clicking on anything red will never constitute a compelling experience for me.

Now, Homeworld the space-flight game? That I would get excited about.

I absolutely LOVED the Homeworld series! Another one being made would be fine by me :P [Also i voted on the Facebook poll]

OhJohnNo:
I don't have a facebook account. Could you post the results of the poll currently, please?

Here you go.

Company of Heroes (THQ)- 75 votes

Dawn of War / Dawn of War II - 158 votes

Space Marine (THQ) - 12 votes

Impossible Creatures - 3 votes

Homeworld - 64 votes

The Outfit - 2 votes

OhJohnNo:

Also, I want Homeworld 3. I love the first game (not got round to playing the second). There's a group for us. :)

Dawn of War franchise currently has twice the votes (158) of any other, then Company of Heroes (75), then comes Homeworld (62); so it's not going to be topping the poll anytime soon.

A new Homeworld game would be good, but it's been so long that I don't think it would feel the same. It may also not be necessary: Sword of the Stars 2 has some of the original Homeworld 2 dev team working on it's 3D realtime battles, I think anyway. [link: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/05/21/preview-sword-of-the-stars-ii-lords-of-winter/].

The downside with 4X games though is they don't have a storyline, like Sins of a Solar Empire. The good story was what really made Homeworld, so maybe there is room for a new one.

Da_MoA:
I absolutely LOVED the Homeworld series! Another one being made would be fine by me :P [Also i voted on the Facebook poll]

OhJohnNo:

Here you go.

Company of Heroes (THQ)- 75 votes

Dawn of War / Dawn of War II - 158 votes

Space Marine (THQ) - 12 votes

Impossible Creatures - 3 votes

Homeworld - 64 votes

The Outfit - 2 votes

Lol, poor The Outfit. FOREVER ALONE

Eh, still not gonna create a facebook account just so I can vote Homeworld. I like its number of votes, though. Only just behind CoH, a very respectable 3rd place.

CrazyJuan77:
I loved homeworld, Sadly never really got around to playing Homeworld 2, but I kinda cringe at homeworld 3, the way games are dumbed down anymore its bound to be a pale shadow of Homeworld.

... Or you could try punching yourself in the face and actually waiting till you have the kind of information it takes to make decisions... just a suggestion.

OT: I'm surprised by this, I'm assuming my friend hasn't found out about this since I surely would've heard him orgasm from a hundred miles away.

You know it will be a first or third person shooter right? Sorry still bitter about X-Com.

This is good news, maybe? I don't think a game like Homeworld has a market outside of PC gamers old enough to remember the original.

I would love to have another Homeworld, but they could very easily fuck it up, because it was a polished to all hell type of game that just isn't happening anymore.

But hey if they got a good idea for it I will be buying it.

@ OhJohnNo, thanks for the group, I'm joining in!

Here's the results up to now:

EDIT:
DOW/DOWII = 160 votes
Company of Heroes = 76 votes
Homeworld = 77 votes

HOMEWORLD has overtaken COH and now holds the SECOND place. :D Keep it up fans!

P.S. This poll by Relic comes a mere week after I've advertised out Facebook HOMEWORLD 3 support group on their very same page, and I've asked them to make a HW3! :D

Plus, I believe in Relic, and I don't think they can mess up HW3. More like, they gonna be back BIG STYLE! ;D

Well according to the poll I've just shared, Homeworld HAS an audience, and is kinda equal to CoH. Don't forget that the first place is held by, in essence, two games (DOW was very different from DOW2). A VERY good, respectable result if you ask me...

Alright, hooray for the Homeworld fanbase!

Don't stop sharing and mobilizing, people! ;) Spread the word!

*Is to busy having a seizure due to waves of awesomeness*

No facebook accouunt *grumble grumble*
But color me supportive! I am part of THAT community of Homeworld that today still looks at the game with joy and smiles when I the word "Sajuuk" is uttered. I am following mods for Homeworld and I would be all over a third game like Kadeshian fighters over an intruder of the Garden.

manythings:

CrazyJuan77:

... Or you could try punching yourself in the face and actually waiting till you have the kind of information it takes to make decisions... just a suggestion.

OT: I'm surprised by this, I'm assuming my friend hasn't found out about this since I surely would've heard him orgasm from a hundred miles away.

Shrug, conversely you could kick yourself in the balls and take your head out of the sand about the state of games today. They are just getting easier and easier.

Part of what made Homeworld so great for me was that it was brutally unforgiving of failure to plan ahead and think in terms of big picture use of the scant resources. I find it hard to believe that a 3rd version would preserve the difficulty.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't be interested, I'm not saying I wont be waiting for more info, I'm not even saying that I hope I'm right. I do hope it retains the things that I thought made Homeworld great and proves me wrong. I'm just giving my initial impression.

So perhaps, instead of either of us doing anything violent to ourselves you just take a deep breath and let people express their opinions, eh?

CrazyJuan77:

manythings:

CrazyJuan77:

Shrug, conversely you could kick yourself in the balls and take your head out of the sand about the state of games today. They are just getting easier and easier.

Part of what made Homeworld so great for me was that it was brutally unforgiving of failure to plan ahead and think in terms of big picture use of the scant resources. I find it hard to believe that a 3rd version would preserve the difficulty.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't be interested, I'm not saying I wont be waiting for more info, I'm not even saying that I hope I'm right. I do hope it retains the things that I thought made Homeworld great and proves me wrong. I'm just giving my initial impression.

So perhaps, instead of either of us doing anything violent to ourselves you just take a deep breath and let people express their opinions, eh?

I'm fine with opinions but I call bullshit on "Something happened with something else so clearly it's now total fact forever" opinions.

manythings:
I'm fine with opinions but I call bullshit on "Something happened with something else so clearly it's now total fact forever" opinions.

So... you have an issue with someone noticing trends... I mean its not like its just ONE game that has been dumbed down. Its even with new (non-sequel) games, Take L.A. Noire. I love the game, but its certainly not terribly challenging. Its nearly obnoxious how hard the game tries to hold the gamer's hand throughout.

I get why its that way, and it fits with game in that a more mature/story based game may be intended to draw new players into gaming with a different experience than RDR or GTA, those players need hand holding.

So yea, I see a trend in gaming of games getting easier, and since its difficulty was one of the things that set homeworld apart from the glut of RTS's from its day it makes me wonder if they will manage to recreate the spirit of the first game.

I see your bullshit and raise you a "Poppycock!"

Hey hey people keep it down! Both skepticism towards Relic and trust in them ARE justified. But if I have to pick one, I'd go with trust and be optimistic. Plus... yeah, I adapt fairly easily to new gameplay (I loved both DoW1 and Dow2, though different), so idk.

As to Homeworld, I never had the chance to play the first one. But God did I got hooked up on Cataclysm (and it's almost horror-ish atmosphere, and the canon, and the Kuun-Lan!), and then really loved Homeworld 2. And to those complaining Homeworld 2 is easy... Heh, I still have trauma from the final level. :D

All in all, yeah, tech's moved forward, times are changed, and it is bound that if Relic decide to revive Homeworld, then it is inevitable that there should be some changes. But the very idea of Homeworld geting a sequel is... well, as someone said above - waves of awesomeness! There is space both on the market and in the community for a new, space-based, 4x strategy game. SINS is well behind us, no other competitors in Homeworld's field, the public's saturated and fed up with WH40k and WW2... I feel the time is ripe for a renaissance and some elegant, awesome-ion-canon-nuclear-torpedo-fuelled spaceship-waltz! =)

UPDATE (edit):
Homeworld = 95
Company of Heroes = 77

DoW is far ahead at 160+, but...
*grin*

I loved Homeworld 2, I definitely wouldn't mind a third one!

Anyone for a homeworld 2 skirmish to bring good luck in hopes of homeworld 3?

Hell yes! Homeworld 1 and 2 aren't available on Steam, and it's been driving me crazy. I used to adore the first one.

Dude Impossible Creatures was the shit back in the days ! too bad it lacked more development

I never got homeworld 2, and never finished homeworld 1

not because it was bad, but because I COULDNT DO THAT GOD DAMNED LEVEL. I had enough capital ships to destroy thir cruisers in a single volley each and it wasnt enough? come on!

and on that note, holy crap yes make homeworld 3. completely loved the first one despite me failing at it :D

lucaf:
I never got homeworld 2, and never finished homeworld 1

not because it was bad, but because I COULDNT DO THAT GOD DAMNED LEVEL. I had enough capital ships to destroy thir cruisers in a single volley each and it wasnt enough? come on!

and on that note, holy crap yes make homeworld 3. completely loved the first one despite me failing at it :D

Dont feel bad, that game was pretty brutal. Took me several rounds of "f this, i'm done with it forever, then cooling off and taking another go." for me to get it done. Still one of the more memorable completions for me.

... You people are making me want to play Homeworld now... -_-

UPDATE:
Homeworld = 109
Company of Heroes = 77

Ahem... I think we should go after DOW/DOW2 now... >:|

DuX1112:
... You people are making me want to play Homeworld now... -_-

Scratch that, I'm going to play Homeworld right now! Garden of Kadesh, here I come!

CrazyJuan77:

manythings:

So... you have an issue with someone noticing trends... I mean its not like its just ONE game that has been dumbed down. Its even with new (non-sequel) games, Take L.A. Noire. I love the game, but its certainly not terribly challenging. Its nearly obnoxious how hard the game tries to hold the gamer's hand throughout.

I get why its that way, and it fits with game in that a more mature/story based game may be intended to draw new players into gaming with a different experience than RDR or GTA, those players need hand holding.

So yea, I see a trend in gaming of games getting easier, and since its difficulty was one of the things that set homeworld apart from the glut of RTS's from its day it makes me wonder if they will manage to recreate the spirit of the first game.

It's a trend when it is a trend and it's not a trend when it's not a trend. This is part of the the phallacy of games are getting easier. Easier versus what? Other games this generation? Other generations? Different platforms? Different genres? Different Developers? You're comparing apples and pirates based on how well the fizz when placed in a basket.

Was L. A. Noire that easy or is it just past experience of Rock Star games showing you the seams? Do you know anyone whose never played any of their games before and found it easy? I've played every BioWare game and they haven't "gottern easier" but I've learned how they think and usually can pick things up based on how they've designed their stuff before.

The total war games have only gotten harder and more complex continually. That is their trend so you can't just declare an immutable rule just because you happen think that's what is happening. Your context isn't the industries context.

EDIT: Also Balderdash.

manythings:
It's a trend when it is a trend and it's not a trend when it's not a trend.

Wow, that's deep. LoL. Thing is, it IS a trend.

manythings:
This is part of the the phallus of games are getting easier.

Whoa, wait, what? Do you mean Fallacy perhaps? You're wrong if you do, but not as wrong as if you dont, lol.

manythings:
Easier versus what? Other games this generation? Other generations? Different platforms? Different genres? Different Developers? You're comparing apples and pirates based on how well the fizz when placed in a basket.

No, I'm not, and I'm not going to hijack this thread any further breaking down myriad examples for you.

manythings:
Was L. A. Noire that easy

Yes.

manythings:
The total war games have only gotten harder and more complex continually. That is their trend so you can't just declare an immutable rule just because you happen think that's what is happening. Your context isn't the industries context.

Again, one game does make, or more importantly in this context break a trend. Of course there are a few holdouts that still make hard games, but they are the minority now.

also, Hogswallop.

I liked the first one, couldnt play the second one. I cant remeber why but I think it just wouldnt run on my computer for some reason. I'd definately check it out now though if they made a decent stab at the 3rd one.

manythings:

CrazyJuan77:

manythings:

It's a trend when it is a trend and it's not a trend when it's not a trend. This is part of the the phallacy of games are getting easier. Easier versus what? Other games this generation? Other generations? Different platforms? Different genres? Different Developers? You're comparing apples and pirates based on how well the fizz when placed in a basket.

Was L. A. Noire that easy or is it just past experience of Rock Star games showing you the seams? Do you know anyone whose never played any of their games before and found it easy? I've played every BioWare game and they haven't "gottern easier" but I've learned how they think and usually can pick things up based on how they've designed their stuff before.

EDIT: Also Balderdash.

I suppose we could just look at Homeworld 2 to gauge what a possible Homeworld 3 could be like. In retrospect, though it was indeed a flashy, graphically improved sequel, Homeworld 2 was just not as good (opinion) as Homeworld. I think it mainly lost some of the magic involved with presenting the Hiigarans as the underdogs. Sure, in Homeworld 2 there's the Vay'gr, but at that point in time the Hiigarans have been home for quite a while, they've got their military might back, mostly. And while they are under threat, it's not the same as if they were only relying on a single Mothership and a small fleet to carry the remains of their civilisation any more.

It was basically: Space-Rome getting attacked by Space-Vandals.

I'd like to see the guys who made Homeworld: Cataclysm get to work on Homeworld 3 actually. That game was an amazing follow up, with a damn near perfect cast and a ton of interesting ship designs.

Also...'phallacy'? The word is -fallacy-, I think I'd get banned for showing pictures of what your word would represent. xD

Hmmm, let me guess, they'll find some way to make it an FPS or an MMO... Call me cynical. :/

Continuity:
Hmmm, let me guess, they'll find some way to make it an FPS or an MMO... Call me cynical. :/

Hey, if it's better than EVE online I'll play it. :P Homeworld's backstory and setting really intrigue me a hell of a lot more than EVE's did.

Plus, you've already got multiple factions. The Hiigarans of course (and the many Kiith within that), the Taidan Republic and the former Taidan Empire, the Turanic Raiders and the remnants of the Vay'gr fleets.

*glares at the guys above* :)))

UPDATE:

1) Dawn of War / Dawn of War 2 = 167
2) Homeworld = 125
3) Company of Heroes = 79

You can find Relic's poll here: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=question&id=10150203135528610

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked