Minecraft: Any way to change the music?

Hello, I am currently running version 1.5_1 Beta and would like to change the music to the music of the original fallout games, and some from New Vegas. I tried to search how I could replace the music but I just find poorly made youtube videos that do nothing, and threads that explain nothing. So I ask here as a last resort. Is there any actual way to replace the music in Minecraft? I mean both with and without the vinyl records, of course.

To explain why I haven't updated yet is due to the fact Industrialcraft is slow to update, and after Mojang's constant useless updates every other day I decided to skip my periodic loss of the conveniences Industrial Craft brought me. I didn't waste countless Iron bars, diamonds, copper, logs, tin, and time just to have Mojang take it all away for me to start again (and only to have no way to get it back since most resources in my area have been looted already). The base I use is mostly industrial craft, and blocks from the fancypack. If I update over 75% of the stuff I built will disappear without the updated versions of the mods.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hrm... im sure there would be. Seems likely there would be a mod for it. However...

If you want the easiest possible solution, turn the music off in game, and then run something like winamp underneath.

It's a crude way to go about things, but you can make a homebrew music mod for just about any game with open directory .mp3 or .ogg music files simply by overwriting them with same-named files that play different music.

I did that to reintroduce, whaddya know, the original Mark Morgan Fallout 1 / 2 soundtrack into Fallout 3.

Just make sure you back up the originals, so you can restore it in case of problems or desired reversion without reinstalling.

I just turn the music volume off and play itunes in the background.

II2:
It's a crude way to go about things, but you can make a homebrew music mod for just about any game with open directory .mp3 or .ogg music files simply by overwriting them with same-named files that play different music.

I did that to reintroduce, whaddya know, the original Mark Morgan Fallout 1 / 2 soundtrack into Fallout 3.

Just make sure you back up the originals, so you can restore it in case of problems or desired reversion without reinstalling.

I heard about that technique, but not sure how to do that for minecraft. Not even sure how I can convert something to an .ogg file.

rabidmidget:

Reason resounds with ear-shattering logic, you really don't need to use a mod tool to change the music. This is something I've been doing with the PS3's broken music playing system.

i think ive found what your looking for
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/16882-tool-minecraft-sound-swapper/
not sure how to use it or if it works for the latest version but its worth a shot. make sure you do a full backup first in case it doesnt work. as for the ogg conversion dl format factory http://www.formatoz.com/ it covers almost every possible conversion and its free. hope that helps you out.

black_knight1337:
i think ive found what your looking for
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/16882-tool-minecraft-sound-swapper/
not sure how to use it or if it works for the latest version but its worth a shot. make sure you do a full backup first in case it doesnt work. as for the ogg conversion dl format factory http://www.formatoz.com/ it covers almost every possible conversion and its free. hope that helps you out.

The download links for the tool are dead. Thanks for the second link though.

Here is a suggestion:
You turn of the game music
Launch music player
You play your selected music and play the game

Open .minecraft, find the folder with the music, change it to a different file with the same name.

Ultratwinkie:

II2:

I heard about that technique, but not sure how to do that for minecraft. Not even sure how I can convert something to an .ogg file.

I use a high end commerical offline sound editor - Steinberg's Wavelab - which can do said conversions, but that's really expensive (bought legally) and kinda overkill if you just want to swap some audio files. I *think* the freeware offline sound editor Audacity can handle those conversions for you, but failing that, google mp3 - ogg in google or download.com and you'll probably find your solution.

- Extreme sample converter also comes to mind, but again, expensive commercial overkill.

II2:

Ultratwinkie:

II2:

I use a high end commerical offline sound editor - Steinberg's Wavelab - which can do said conversions, but that's really expensive (bought legally) and kinda overkill if you just want to swap some audio files. I *think* the freeware offline sound editor Audacity can handle those conversions for you, but failing that, google mp3 - ogg in google or download.com and you'll probably find your solution.

- Extreme sample converter also comes to mind, but again, expensive commercial overkill.

I transferred the entire OST to .ogg format, and placed them in each category. However, it seems minecraft wont accept the new files as no new music is being played.

Doesn't Risugami's Audio Mod allow custom sounds to be added to the game? I know you need the Audio Mod to add custom sounds for the Humans+ mod and the Portal Gun mod.

1. find a way to get it on MP3
2. turn off the music in the menu
3. make a play list in WMP (or your player of choice)
4. alt+tab while playing to start the music

rabidmidget:

It's so simple, yet it's much easier and more effective than doing anything else.

TheYellowCellPhone:

rabidmidget:

It's so simple, yet it's much easier and more effective than doing anything else.

true dat. i just have wmp goin in the background. and in case you missed my above post heres the mirror again http://minecraftwb.com/index.php/addons/tools--utilities/misc-tools/item/zurikis-sound-swapper

Ultratwinkie:

II2:
[quote="Ultratwinkie" post="9.287825.11381287"][quote="II2" post="9.287825.11381068"]backnforth

I transferred the entire OST to .ogg format, and placed them in each category. However, it seems minecraft wont accept the new files as no new music is being played.

Bummer. Last ditch suggestions:

- Double check the .ogg file properties to make sure the game is getting what it expects, bitrate, codecs, etc. (Honestly, I don't really work with .ogg much so I'm not sure on all the advanced properties)
- Follow the other users suggestions on "Rishugami's Audio Mod" thx AngryMoose and details for it on the official Minecraft forum.
- Make a playlist for your media player of choice and play it while turning the game's music volume off.

Good luck. It's a worthy OST to try for :)

being complicated is pointless.

Real games = music 0 SFX 10, turn your own music on in the background.
minecraft = just mute the game... turn on music.

Cant you just reformat the audio file and replace it like you would your skin you should know this if your non-premium

Turn the music off, turn iTunes on, and pick your favorite playlist.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked