Games on Windows 7 - Compatibility issues

Hi there,
I recently bought a new a PC and its current OS is Windows 7. When I play some games, it say's these games can't be played on Windows 7.
I've checked all over the internet for some help, and so far the only helpful thing that's been said was that I should change my compatibility to Windows XP on those games.

I can do this for most of my games, but on Steam, I can't change the compatibility on specific games without changing ALL of steam to compatibility mode (that's not recommended) and changing Steam back to normal mode is a bit of a hassle.

So, does anyone know how I could go about changing the compatibility mode on my steam games without putting steam itself into compatibility mode?

EDIT: The problem has been fixed now, thanks the people that helped.

Go find their .exes in c:\program files (possibly x86)\steam\steamapps\common and set the compatability mode in there.

nexekho:
Go find their .exes in c:\program files (possibly x86)\steam\steamapps\common and set the compatability mode in there.

When I get to that file, none of my games are in there, and I can't set compatibility mode onto it. Underneath that, there is a file with my steam account name, and that has my games in there, but the only game I can set the mode to is Half-Life 2. Also, I can't find the actual game within there own folders, instead I keep finding the half life 2 file.

steamapps\common IS the directory for non-Source games on Steam. If your games seriously aren't there, but they WERE installed via Steam, something is going wrong. Make sure this isn't some old Steam installation or something.

Which steam games are the issue because I also run Windows 7 (64 bit) and I have some 125 games.. and not a single one has an issue.

But if none of the games are showing up in the C:\Program files(x86)\steam\steamapps\common then It might be a larger issue because all non steam games should have there .exe files stored in that folder where you can simply set the individual compatibility of the game.

Katana314:
steamapps\common IS the directory for non-Source games on Steam. If your games seriously aren't there, but they WERE installed via Steam, something is going wrong. Make sure this isn't some old Steam installation or something.

AndrewF022:
Which steam games are the issue because I also run Windows 7 (64 bit) and I have some 125 games.. and not a single one has an issue.

But if none of the games are showing up in the C:\Program files(x86)\steam\steamapps\common then It might be a larger issue because all non steam games should have there .exe files stored in that folder where you can simply set the individual compatibility of the game.

I found the steam folder containing all my games, but for some reason, it wasn't the steamapps/common folder, they were in my steamapps/(steam account name here) folder. I've changed the compatibility on the games that wouldn't run and there fine now.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked