Best PC co-op games for two?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

My girlfriend is getting a new Windows-based laptop soon, and with it comes a much more powerful video card. She can play all sorts of modern games now, but the biggest thing we're lost on is what we're going to play together with all the new possibilities this opens up.

We'd prefer something co-op, and preferably playable over the internet (even when she's right next to me, she's on my home wireless network). Neither of us are particularly into the gritty FPSes or the stupid grindy MMOs (I'm looking at you, MapleStory), but there must be *something* out there that we'll find entertaining.

Some things we've already tried and liked:
-Portal 2
-Team Fortress 2
-Magicka
-Minecraft (when it isn't bugging out)

We would prefer free or low-cost games, mainly because you have to pay double for two copies, but if the game is REALLY good, we'll consider any price tag.

So, Escapists, what are the best two-player co-op PC games?

Left 4 dead 1 and 2 are pretty cheap for the the PC now. Those are fun co-op games if you don't mind playing with 2 ai bots. Some others I can think of are Alien Swarm (free) or Killing Floor ($20 I think)

Edit: Didn't see the dislike for gritty fps lol.

Is Alien Swarm still free? I wasn't particularly impressed, but free is free.

Also, if you're into Diablo type .. err .. clones (kill stuff get loot level up), there are a lot of 'em out there.
Might fall into the "grindy" category, though. Depends on how keen you are to kill bosses repeatedly for rare drops.

Terraria ($10 on steam) its like minecraft but in 2d, with a larger focus on building a base and exploring your randomly generated world for boss', minerals and loot, its a great game and will give you more than enough gameplay to justify the price.

Well, Borderlands is pretty fun in co-op. But it's fun pretty much only in co-op, and preferably 4 people.

Matt Wood:
Terraria ($10 on steam) its like minecraft but in 2d, with a larger focus on building a base and exploring your randomly generated world for boss', minerals and loot, its a great game and will give you more than enough gameplay to justify the price.

Yes, I suggest Terraria because Terraria is epic and you need to quit whining about it, daltonlaffs :P Seriously, give it a chance

Edit: Wait for Pokemon Tower Defense to update with Multiplayer. :D

Danceofmasks:

Also, if you're into Diablo type .. err .. clones (kill stuff get loot level up), there are a lot of 'em out there.
Might fall into the "grindy" category, though. Depends on how keen you are to kill bosses repeatedly for rare drops.

Alien Swarm is still free. I couldn't get full enjoyment out of that game as I was always the medic and stuck as the heal bot... Other then that it was fine for a free game.

Danceofmasks:

It is.

As far as Co op games go, Pretty sure most of the best ones have been covered. I can't realld add much more than that.

Magicka is awsome in multiplayer :)

Well, If you can get another friend in the room, you should try the Artemis Spaceship Bridge simulator.

Dawn of War 2 has a good drop in drop out co-op option for the campaign.It's an RTS that's incredibly streamlined for a faster and more action oriented pace.

Trine is a fun little platformer that only costs like $5, so it's probably worth a shot.

OverweightWhale:
Left 4 dead 1 and 2 are pretty cheap for the the PC now. Those are fun co-op games if you don't mind playing with 2 ai bots. Some others I can think of are Alien Swarm (free) or Killing Floor ($20 I think)

Edit: Didn't see the dislike for gritty fps lol.

Well I wouldn't call L4D gritty in the same way I would call Gears of War or COD gritty.

Its in a nice area between the fun focused run-and-gun of Half-life and the gritty realism of Modern Military Shooter #47 and by nice I mean much closer to the former.

In FPS terms, L4D is probably the best coop experience out there.

I recommend trying it before you buy it, but I have a feeling you'll like it. (based on Hat Fortress 2 & Portal 2)

I've been hearing good things about Terraria, but my area of experience lies mainly in FPS, so I can't really recommend it.

I would say stick with TF2, but that's not really an intimate experience is it?

Wuggy:
Well, Borderlands is pretty fun in co-op. But it's fun pretty much only in co-op, and preferably 4 people.

This. My brother and I played the hell out of Borderlands.

Diablo II was fun for about a decade. We would grind ourselves retarded looking for set items.

Apparently Swat 4 also has a co-op campaign. That game shit solid gold. Heart-stopping suspense, a textbook difficulty curve. It's too bad it was so damn short. And old.

I saw Dawn of War 2 was already listed, so instead I'll suggest Shogun Total War 2. It has online coop campaigns that are quite awesome and allow you to help you partner with battles by commanding some of their troops. Also Terraria if you like 2d games.

alien swarm

it is not very advanced but it is free on steam. other suggestions are H.A.W.X but you may want joysticks for that, BFME2 ep (long name is :the lord of the rings the battle for middle earth 2 the rise of the witch king expansion pack). portal 2 is on your list already but that one is a definant keep. Minecraft on the other hand I would avoid it unless that is the only game you ever want to play with her. for FPS they're is tom clancys rainbow six veagas 1 and 2. if you mod crysis you can play co-op. Doom 3 with co-op mod is also good. halo has great co-op but I think co-op is only on console. I would also add to my list cod5 (zombies, the DLC on PC is free you can get it on file front) and cod 6 wich has special ops. there is alos left 4 dead 1 and 2.

Modern Warfare 2 Spec Ops is pretty good, although the split screen is kind of weak, I'd go for Black Ops' zombie mode.

You might find league of legends to your liking- its a dota-like game which would allow youto play on the same team and its free.
Lord of the rings online is a pretty decent free mmo.

I will happily echo two games that have already been mentioned..

~ Left 4 Dead 1/2

Even if you're not really into FPS, honestly, give this game a shot. It's great fun to play with friends, even if you are accompanied by two AI bots. If you have any friends that own it already (and who are relatively local to you), I recommend asking them really nicely if they'll let you and your girlfriend try it out. That way, there's no money lost if you don't end up enjoying it. (Though I can quite easily say that for me, L4D is the most replayable and fun zombie survival horror game I've played.)

~ Diablo II

If you both like the sound of a hack 'n' slash with RPG elements, then you'll love this game. Yes, it does involve a lot of grinding, but when I was playing it with my friend, it didn't actually feel like grinding at all. It was just fun. You may want to be prepared to lose hours on end to this game, however. :3

splinter cell: chaos theory has a great coop!

Wait for Torchlight 2?

Also, Serious Sam HD.

I've just been playing Serious Sam: The First Encounter HD with a friend who had just got it and it is tons of fun but not always with loads of teamwork. If you are really into RTSs, try out Men of War. The voice acting is pretty poor but it has plenty of challenging maps.

Garry's Mod and Terrania.

Terminalchaos:
You might find league of legends to your liking- its a dota-like game which would allow youto play on the same team and its free.

Bad suggestion. Everyone knows that the communities for MOBA's are awful.

Splinter Cell Conviction is pretty good on co-op.

daltonlaffs:

I'll ignore price and let you decide for yourself what you fancy. Games I've enjoyed in co-op multiplayer, in addition to those you mentioned:

L4D2
Borderlands
Neverwinter Nights 2
Resident Evil 5
Splinter Cell: Conviction

And Hunted: The Demon Forge is a brand new game but looks fantastic and seems to have very good/integral coop gameplay. You could also consider a free-to-play type MMO, like LotRO, Champions Online or others.

daltonlaffs:
My girlfriend is getting a new Windows-based laptop soon, and with it comes a much more powerful video card. She can play all sorts of modern games now, but the biggest thing we're lost on is what we're going to play together with all the new possibilities this opens up.

We'd prefer something co-op, and preferably playable over the internet (even when she's right next to me, she's on my home wireless network). Neither of us are particularly into the gritty FPSes or the stupid grindy MMOs (I'm looking at you, MapleStory), but there must be *something* out there that we'll find entertaining.

Some things we've already tried and liked:
-Portal 2
-Team Fortress 2
-Magicka
-Minecraft (when it isn't bugging out)

We would prefer free or low-cost games, mainly because you have to pay double for two copies, but if the game is REALLY good, we'll consider any price tag.

I would like to suggest Terraria. It's a great 2 or more player game for just messing around in.

SL33TBL1ND:

Terminalchaos:

LoL is surprisingly good actually. I prefer dota but thats because i play it when im in the mood to banter with hostiles while pwning them.
LoL has some jerks but has a large supportive community nonetheless. Besides you can just play until you meet good people then just team with them.

Terminalchaos:

SL33TBL1ND:

Terminalchaos:

LoL is surprisingly good actually. I prefer dota but thats because i play it when im in the mood to banter with hostiles while pwning them.
LoL has some jerks but has a large supportive community nonetheless. Besides you can just play until you meet good people then just team with them.

I have noticed that the community is better than that of DotA's, but it's still awful compared to any non-MOBA game.

SL33TBL1ND:

Terminalchaos:

SL33TBL1ND:

I have noticed that the community is better than that of DotA's, but it's still awful compared to any non-MOBA game.

Its true that there is more hostility in games that are highly competitive and/or skill dependent. You can inadvertently troll just by trying to learn the ropes.
It is hit or miss and really depends on if some barbs bug you overtly. I have met some really friendly, helpful, and fun people on LoL and ironically it was with my account that is a troll name. Like any game you play until you find your niche/community and then play with them. Its like the difference between playing TF2 on your home server and a random server with jackasses. They are completely different games.
The other coop I would suggest is a coop version of civ- it takes a bit to get into but tITs really fun teaming up to take over the world.

Yostbeef:
Dawn of War 2 has a good drop in drop out co-op option for the campaign.It's an RTS that's incredibly streamlined for a faster and more action oriented pace.

Khorne is pleased by this statement, mortal.

Resident Evil 5 - For all it's shortcomings, Co-op is excellent and the unlocks for weapons and New Game+ features keep you coming back.

Hunted: The Demon's Forge - Excellent hack and slash/shooter type game, fun interactions between the characters, good story and a fun loot system along with some excellent co-op magic features such as 'battle charging' each other.

The First Templar - Cheap, fun action/rpg game, it's lacking in some areas but I think the quality of the overall experience makes up for it, some amusing dialogue, fun missions with bonuses and a fairly interesting story.

Naturally all the others like Portal 2 etc... just trying to post some that are unlikely to come up.

The LEGO series is fantastic. I know that sounds dumb but give it a shot. They're cheap, not too long, and good for a few laughs. My roommate and I played ALL of them to 100% (not something I often do) just because.

The ones I've got to mention have already been said.

Resident Evil 5 is just an awesome game all around, co-op makes it twice as awesome.

Borderlands is pretty damn fun as well, you ought to give it a try.

Both of those are bloody, but I don't know if I'd call them "gritty". Maybe RE5, but the total cheesiness of it all just negates any grittiness it has. Borderlands is just cel-shaded cartoon blood.

Also, Left 4 Dead 1/2. Both are quite bloody and look gritty, but they're not gritty either. Not really, and I've seen a fair number of girls like that particular game.

Call of Duty World at War is multiplayer in every way, but it is gritty. Might want to demo that one first.

There are mods to make Halo 2 PC's campaign co-op, and it's incredibly fun. But then, it requires some modding and some fiddling to get it working.

And that's about all I can think of.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked