PC games you want to play... but can't

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

-Dragmire-:

Worgen:

-Dragmire-:

I have an EVGA GTX260 with updated drivers, didn't work with my old GTX8800 either.
My sound card is a HDA XPLOSION 7.1 with updated drivers

new drivers might not be compatible but the old ones crashed randomly so I can't bring them back.

well as I said, windows 9x games are hard to get working on modern systems compatibility helps but for the most part the only way to run them is with a win 9x system or hoping someone like gog actually pokes tho the code to make them work

Thanks for the help anyway. $6 isn't too much to enjoy dungeon keeper again on gog

yeah, Im damn tempted to get it also, I used to really enjoy it

There are two games I miss dearly that sadly, no longer work because of the new OS these days.
1. "The Neverhood" (a fun, beautiful, clever and hilarious claymation point and click adventure game)
and 2. "Populous: The Beginning" (my favourite RTS of all time. One half god game, the other RTS - with revolutionary graphics and terrain manipulation for it's time (1998). It's actually a large part of the inspiration for the upcoming 'From Dust' game in development.

X-Wing Alliance, which I only completed partially before all the video cards would mess up the in-game screen fonts, so all the flight displays are greeked.

Hopefully GOG or Steam will provide a fix.

Better yet, a remake, along with TIE-Fighter.

238U.

SirDerick:

the spud:
I'm sort of a noob when it comes to pc gaming, so i'll need you guy's help, and this seems as relevant a time as any. Will my dell latitude d620, running with windows XP, be able to run starcraft, halflife, and deus ex (the originals)? I know it can run amnesia, if that helps.

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

I use that site whenever I'm curious as to whether i need an upgrade or not.

On a side note; if you're running a laptop there's a good chance that all your hardware's been under-clocked to prevent overheating, given that they can't fit a heat sink in them.

Thanks for the help.
On a side note, my laptop does get REALLY hot after an hour or two of use. So hot I literally can't keep may hand on the bottom.

Minecraft :(

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat.

I bought that and Shadow of Chernobyl for $10 on a Steam sale on Halloween last year, and am currently playing through SoC for the second time (actually, I never beat it at all... I got to the part with the helicopter in Chernobyl and stopped playing for like five months, so decided to start over). But my graphics card, a Radeon HD 3600, isn't good enough to play CoP at all. It looks like crap and runs like a PowerPoint presentation on the lowest settings, which is strange because my computer ran the Crysis demo flawlessly on medium settings, if I remember correctly.

-Dragmire-:
Device Manager lists my sound card as an HDA XPLOSION 7.1
I do know my motherboard is Asus though.

It definitely sounds like a sounds card problem, try "disabling" it with rightclick from your Device Manager and see if the game launches that way, you will have no sound but will probably see if it is the device causing it, can always "Enable" it again.

Regarding Dungeon Keeper 1 (if you don't want to buy it on GoG), it is a bit more complicated (you will need the Microsoft's ACT), fortunately here is a YouTube video explaining step by step what to do to get it to start:

Proarcher:
There are two games I miss dearly that sadly, no longer work because of the new OS these days.
1. "The Neverhood" (a fun, beautiful, clever and hilarious claymation point and click adventure game)
and 2. "Populous: The Beginning" (my favourite RTS of all time. One half god game, the other RTS - with revolutionary graphics and terrain manipulation for it's time (1998). It's actually a large part of the inspiration for the upcoming 'From Dust' game in development.

You didn't say what your problems were with the games so I'll have to take a guess :P I got Neverhood here so I installed it and tried, only issue I see on Win7 x64 is Colors are garbled. There's an easy fix for that here: http://www.mediafire.com/?z3lljjnzmij

This fix is a bit of a workaround. The Team 17 game Worms Armageddon has the EXACT same issue on newer systems (Vista/Win7) with distorted colors and the like. It has something to do with the OS "stealing" the color pallet from the game. I'm not quite sure about all the technicalities, but either way a very cleaver person developed this launcher to use in conjunction with WA to fix the issue. On a whim I decided to see if it would work with the Neverhood, one of my all-time favorite games, and amazingly it did. So to keep this game alive, please pass this around to all the Neverhood die-hard followers. I take absolutely no credit for the creation of the launcher, if you created this launcher all of us thank you very much. So follow the directions below to get The Neverhood to work on newer Windows OSes:

1) Extract "WAVistaWin7.exe" to the Neverhood installation directory.
2) Rename "nhc.exe" to "wa.exe" (The WA launcher looks for the Worms executable by default)
3) Right-Click on your new "wa.exe" and go to properties.
4) Click on the compatibility tab.
5) Make sure its running in Windows 95 compatibilty mode.
6) Check the "Run in 256 colors" box.
7) Press okay and close out the properties dialog.
8) Now all you need to do is run the "WAVistaWin7.exe" launcher instead of the original "nhc.exe" and all should be well!

Hope this solves everyone's problems =)

Game works fine after that :P

Regarding Populous 3 I found this (translated from German):

1. Install complete version of Populous 3
2. Apply official Patch 1.01
Download: http://webgnom.com/populous-3-the-beginning-patch-1-01
3. Apply unofficial Patch 1.03
Download: http://webgnom.com/populous-3-the-beginning-patch-1-03

Game should work now.
There also seems to be a Tool called "popres", with which you can change the resolution from the basic 640x480 or 800x600: http://webgnom.com/populous-3-the-beginning-aufloesung-aendern-tool

Bioshock/Bioshock 2
currently my PC is pretty much shit.
also S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
for the same reason.

-Dragmire-:
As Technology advances, games we were once/still fond of cannot remain with us.

What games did you love that will no longer play on your newer systems?

For me: The Dungeon Keeper Series, no compatibility mode will work on my 64bit Vista system

*STILL can't play Plants vs Zombies either....

have you tried DOSbox?
it,s a great emulator and doesn't require DOS experience.

Dexter111:

It definitely sounds like a sounds card problem, try "disabling" it with rightclick from your Device Manager and see if the game launches that way, you will have no sound but will probably see if it is the device causing it, can always "Enable" it again.

I am literally shocked, this worked perfectly! Thank you.
I'm missing the necessary cables to connect my surround sound to my PC without my sound card because I'm using digital coaxial cable but it's wonderful to know where the problem is.

KOTOR and Mass Effect, can't get them to work on windows 7 :(

KoToR and KoToR 2. It keeps crashing even at the beginning.

I'm upset. :(

Vault101:
Byond good and evil

the game should be renamed "dual cores are evil"

I don't have any personal experience with BG&E, but have you tried setting the affinity to single core? I've had problems in the past with games that didn't like dual core processors, but modern versions of Windows allow you to set programs to only run on one of the cores.

corsair47:
i really miss starwars KOTOR. Won't play on my new laptop. I was planning on playing it after i beat mass effect 2, because they are somewhat similar (both set in space with decision making and robots) but after installing it (which came on SIX cd's) it wouldn't run.

That's interesting. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit, and the 4 CD version works just fine for me, fully patched and everything. Have you tried posting about it on the Lucasarts forums, or even just poking around on them, looking for a fix?

<edit>To clarify, my CDs are version 1.0, but I patched it with the autopatcher.</edit>

Uriel-238:
X-Wing Alliance, which I only completed partially before all the video cards would mess up the in-game screen fonts, so all the flight displays are greeked.

Hopefully GOG or Steam will provide a fix.

Better yet, a remake, along with TIE-Fighter.

238U.

This I have a definite fix for: go to the following link and download the patch -- and while you're at it, look into the Xwing Alliance Upgrade Project, which replaces most of the models with higher poly versions that look better on modern systems.

http://www.lucasfiles.com/index.php?s=&action=category&id=107

OT: I would love to get my copy of the original Alone in the Dark to work properly. I never even managed to get it to work on my old Windows 95 box -- it would play the redbook audio, but none of the Soundblaster sound effects, which kind of ruined the atmosphere. I managed to get it to work once for about an hour, but it never worked again. I should probably try to run it in Dosbox again; I understand that CD ROM support has been substantially improved since I last tried to use it for an actual disc.

Fanta Grape:
I really want to play Borderlands and Bulletstorm but they barely, BARELY work on my damn mac... TT_TT

Silly Mac users and their games.

Worgen:
there isnt really a game that I cant play on my pc... I guess toon struck since it was an early win 95 game and its hard to get those to work on a modern os, unfortinatly dosbox doesn't make those work, I keep hoping gog will get it

ToonStruck seems to work with the latest version of ScummVM, they added support for it back in February: http://scummvm.org/news/20110203/
"1.Copy all Files from CD1 into a new Folder on your HDD
2.Copy all Files from CD2 into the same Folder and replace the Files
3.Start ScummVM add a new Game and choose the Folder with the copied Files, double click on it!"

Vault101:
Byond good and evil

Disable "HW Vertex Processing" in the Options, and you can Force any program to just use one Core, Alt+Tab out of the game after starting it, open up the Task manager with Ctrl+Alt+Del, go to the Processes TAB, select "bge.exe" --> "Set Affinity" and disable all CPU cores but "CPU 0".
Alternately you can make a .bat file (create a new .txt file in the game's folder and write "start /affinity 1 bge.exe" into it, save then rename the file extension to .bat instead of .txt and use that to start the game.

CD-R:
I really want to play some of the Jagged Alliance games since I'm a big fan of the old X Com games. But unfortunately they don't work with Windows 7. And it really sucks because GoG.com gave me a free copy of Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games for no apparent reason. And they're on sale this week.

You can get the X-Com Complete Packs on either Steam or Direct2Drive (they are configured/used DOSBox and can all be played fine on Win7, I got em during a Sale), there's also a rather complicated way to get X-Com to work otherwise also involving Microsoft's ACT but it doesn't work perfectly and I'd rather not go into it xD
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/964/
http://www.direct2drive.com/7614/product/Buy-X-Com-Complete-Bundle-Download
What doesn't work about JA2? Color Glitch?

Lenin211:
I really liked the splinter cell series (Before double agent) but could only run on Windows XP.

There's also fixes, for instance further down here for Chaos Theory: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3651075192/m/2311010408

Worgen:
BOOOM I bring you gifts
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/dungeon_keeper
gog just got dungeon keeper and if its on gog then its been remastered to work on modern operating systems

there isnt really a game that I cant play on my pc... I guess toon struck since it was an early win 95 game and its hard to get those to work on a modern os, unfortinatly dosbox doesn't make those work, I keep hoping gog will get it

SystemShock 2 and the early Resident Evil games. Both of them always freeze when I get to a certain point. I've done everything I can to get them working. I even tried running Windows 98 as a virtual computer, sadly Windows 95/98 required a different kind of hard drive system so I couldn't even get that to work.

On the new game side only the ones made for a different OS than Windows XP/Vista/7 wont work.

Basically every game made after 2007. It makes me sad :(

Yopaz:
SystemShock 2 and the early Resident Evil games. Both of them always freeze when I get to a certain point. I've done everything I can to get them working. I even tried running Windows 98 as a virtual computer, sadly Windows 95/98 required a different kind of hard drive system so I couldn't even get that to work.

On the new game side only the ones made for a different OS than Windows XP/Vista/7 wont work.

Gimme more info about your system.
I am running vista and it runs system shock 2 just fine, you just need to force vsync in order to get a stable FPS though

Ever since I upgraded to Windows 7 64-bit I can't play Age of Mythology or Star Wars: Empire at War.
I miss Age of Mythology the most...such a good RTS. It also happened to be my first 'T' rated game haha.

Kedos:

I had a few issues with Mass effect, at first it wouldnt launch but it was ok when I patched it and running in xp compatibility fixed a couple of graphical..."annoyances"

as for KOTOR..it worked ok except when I patched it (no patching)

Well I wanted to go back to some oldies and got bitch smacked by the multicore issues:
- Beyond good and evil (after thousands of compatibility tweaks,it will run but never in any sort of playable fashion)
- Dungeon Siege (will crumble every few seconds)
- Diablo 2 (wont even finish loading)

Seems I haveto go and put one of my old machines together, quite a hassle for these few games.

Owyn_Merrilin:

Vault101:
Byond good and evil

I don't have any personal experience with BG&E, but have you tried setting the affinity to single core? I've had problems in the past with games that didn't like dual core processors, but modern versions of Windows allow you to set programs to only run on one of the cores.

the only thing wrong with it was the cutscenes were horribly out of sync

I think I kinda did at one point, only it just made things worse

before I almost managed to get it fairly spot on after screwing around with the setting, but then it regressed when I went to play awhile later..a real shame

anyway I may try again later when I get through the ever growing list of games I have to finish (damn you day job!)

Mr.K.:
Well I wanted to go back to some oldies and got bitch smacked by the multicore issues:
- Beyond good and evil (after thousands of compatibility tweaks,it will run but never in any sort of playable fashion)

Seems I haveto go and put one of my old machines together, quite a hassle for these few games.

yeah beyond good and evil sits on my shelf insulting me

anyway...PC gaming somtimes you just have to repeat to yourself over and over "I am elite, I am elite, I am elite I AM ELITE" as you try and get things to work :)

Mr.K.:

Diablo 2 runs just fine on my Dual Core machine running Windows 7 64 bit. Just make sure you're running the fully patched version. If you can't get it to load far enough to get to the auto patcher, Blizzard has a manual patch on their website.

-Dragmire-:

For me: The Dungeon Keeper Series, no compatibility mode will work on my 64bit Vista system

I managed to get it running on my 64bit Windows 7 rig. I think Dosbox did the trick.

MASS EFFECT 2 BUT IT DOESNT COME OUT TILL FUCKING MARCH 6TH. In all seriousnes, id like to play theif 2 but i doesnt work on my brand new computer that is specifically made for gaming. Go figure

It's entirely the reverse for me. My system is so old I can't play many of my newer games. My GPU burnt out last year and I'm left with the built-in GeForce 7100, which can't run Grand Theft Auto III on full settings and maintain 30fps. It's an atrocity, and what it means is that I can't play Chaos Rising, Just Cause 2, GTA4, Borderlands, or TF2. All my computer can manage at this point are games from my childhood. It's sad.

On the other hand, I have been re-enjoying GTA3, Age of Empires II, Vampire: The Masquerade, and Morrowind, so that's something. I even got Thief to run on my dual-core, although you have to set the core affinity to 1 in the task manager every single time you play, which is a pain.

Also, if you guys are getting that weird bug in Age of Empires II where the terrain turns funny colors, you can fix it by alt-tabbing and opening your resolution setting window. I don't know why it works, but it does.

Kedos:

RiouChan:
KoToR and KoToR 2. It keeps crashing even at the beginning.

I'm upset. :(

corsair47:
i really miss starwars KOTOR. Won't play on my new laptop. I was planning on playing it after i beat mass effect 2, because they are somewhat similar (both set in space with decision making and robots) but after installing it (which came on SIX cd's) it wouldn't run.

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=194296
I'm not sure why Mass Effect wouldnt work, it should :P

Yopaz:

See above and follow the Guide, I got it working with that and played CoOp with a friend not that long ago e.g. Here's a step by step guide on what to do with Links and Download links and also how to update System Shock 2 so that it can be played at a higher resolution and glorious higher resolution textures and models: http://www.systemshock.org/index.php/topic,106.0.html

Owyn_Merrilin:
OT: I would love to get my copy of the original Alone in the Dark to work properly. I never even managed to get it to work on my old Windows 95 box -- it would play the redbook audio, but none of the Soundblaster sound effects, which kind of ruined the atmosphere. I managed to get it to work once for about an hour, but it never worked again. I should probably try to run it in Dosbox again; I understand that CD ROM support has been substantially improved since I last tried to use it for an actual disc.

You should :P Also try checking the comments here:
http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=220&letter=A
http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=219&letter=A

A_Parked_Car:
Ever since I upgraded to Windows 7 64-bit I can't play Age of Mythology or Star Wars: Empire at War.
I miss Age of Mythology the most...such a good RTS. It also happened to be my first 'T' rated game haha.

Tried installing the 1.10 Patch for AoM?: http://download.cnet.com/Age-of-Mythology-patch/3000-2121_4-10236038.html

Mr.K.:

If you don't want to get BG&E from GoG you can try what I said above, e.g.:
Disable "HW Vertex Processing" in the Options (it causes the water rendering used in the game to bug out and make even the manliest computers cry), and you can Force any program to just use one Core, Alt+Tab out of the game after starting it, open up the Task manager with Ctrl+Alt+Del, go to the Processes TAB, select "bge.exe" --> "Set Affinity" and disable all CPU cores but "CPU 0".
Alternately you can make a .bat file (create a new .txt file in the game's folder and write "start /affinity 1 bge.exe" into it, save then rename the file extension to .bat instead of .txt and use that to start the game.

Your "descriptions" aren't exactly helpful, but tried this? http://deathmarine.com/dungeon-siege-and-windows-7-x64/

Donttazemehbro:
MASS EFFECT 2 BUT IT DOESNT COME OUT TILL FUCKING MARCH 6TH. In all seriousnes, id like to play theif 2 but i doesnt work on my brand new computer that is specifically made for gaming. Go figure

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=76531

Seriously people just use Google, it's a great repository of obscure knowledge :P

Vault101:

Mr.K.:

yeah beyond good and evil sits on my shelf insulting me

anyway...PC gaming somtimes you just have to repeat to yourself over and over "I am elite, I am elite, I am elite I AM ELITE" as you try and get things to work :)

Ah but the extra work you put in makes the game somuch sweeter, console players will never know what joy it brings when the game finally loads after several hours of tweaking :D

BTW I'm starting to doubt your PC cred, I see no "I am 1337" in there, you need to work on that

Grey Carter:

-Dragmire-:

I managed to get it running on my 64bit Windows 7 rig. I think Dosbox did the trick.

I'll give it a shot, never heard of Dosbox before today. As I recall, the last time I used Dos(not counting the command prompt) was for Jazz Jackrabbit on win 3.1.

I miss File Manager, Windows Explorer still sounds stupid to me.

Dexter111:

Owyn_Merrilin:

You should :P Also try checking the comments here:
http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=220&letter=A
http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=219&letter=A

Nice to see that it's fully supported now -- I haven't tried to run it since some time around 2004. They must have been on version .4 or .5 back then :P

Edit: looking at their Source Forge page, it would have been version 6.2 or 6.3. That's still a while back.

I want to play Fallout New Vegas but I can't because it stopped working after the 1.1 version patch.

And for some bizzare fucking reason now not even a clean, unupdated reinstallation will work.

efeat:
System Shock 2 does not seem to like windows 7 professional x64. I'm sure there's a way to get it to work...but I just don't know of it.

Also, an old flight sim I used to play back in '96 doesn't sync with a modern processor very well. It runs at like 20x normal speed.

You haven't searched well enough. I installed system shock 2 on windows 7 easily.

I find that I can make almost all PC games work, even really really old ones. Its also nice that GOG.com is around also. I never had much luck getting multiplayer to work again in Masters Of Orion 2, which sucked.

-Dragmire-:
I'll give it a shot, never heard of Dosbox before today. As I recall, the last time I used Dos(not counting the command prompt) was for Jazz Jackrabbit on win 3.1.

I miss File Manager, Windows Explorer still sounds stupid to me.

As I said above, this definitely works for Dungeon Keeper, I tried ACT some time ago on X-Com with similar settings and it did the trick.

Regarding Dungeon Keeper 1 (if you don't want to buy it on GoG), it is a bit more complicated (you will need the Microsoft's ACT), fortunately here is a YouTube video explaining step by step what to do to get it to start:

If you get any Color Errors on old games using Windows 7 involving garbled colors, it is usually explorer.exe interferring with the color Palette

There's an easy fix for any game, create a new Text-file in the same folder the main game-exe is located in and open it up in an editor.

Write the following into it:

taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
EXENAMEOFTHEGAMEYOUWANTTORUN.exe
start explorer.exe

save it, then rename the file-ending to .bat and start your game from there.

The first line will kill explorer.exe so the game can run without garbled colors, the second will start up the game e.g. put whatever the game is called there for instance "dmcr.exe" on Cossacks where I had that problem, the third line starts explorer again after you finish the game.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked