games with zero replay value

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Nautical Honors Society:
Fable II, after that ended I was like "nope, goodbye and thanks for the crappy ending".

That was my exact reaction when I beat Dragon Age 2.
OP: Bioshock. After one time, I was like "Huh. Well, that's done." Never wanted to play it again.

Nothing, so long as it's good. I can repeat gameplay over and over, and it doesn't lose it's thrill. I can experience a story again and again, and it won't become less engaging.

icame:
Enslaved. It was good for a first run for the plot, but after you've done it once you know the story and since the gameplay is so dull there is no reason to play again.

I just replayed that one, actually. Still just as awesome as the first time through.

Dragon age 2 for me :( what a tragedy for gaming as a whole

L.A. Noire, Lost Odyssey, Heavy Rain, and I'm sad to say Mass Effect 1. They either took forever or I just didn't want to do any more

ajemas:

Kahunaburger:
Portal. Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome game, but you've gotta forget how to solve the puzzles before it's fun to play again.

What about the advanced chambers and other challenges? Though I do agree that it is not much.
I think that puzzle games in general have little to no replay value. It's not their fault, of course, but it's all about figuring out how to do it the first time. Aside from testing your speed, it's kind of a dead end. Braid, for example, didn't really offer much other than the time challenges and secret stars.

Yeah - one of the few places I think DLC is completely justified is for puzzle games, although we'll see how Valve handles Portal 2 DLC.

Oblivion and Fallout 3. They were great fun, but they're too much work to do again.

Braaaaaaid. Stupid things has no story, despite being entirely awesome going through it, once you've done the puzzles and felt smart, there's nothing left.

well i can not play a game with gliches again like fallout: new vegas(still accualy need to beat that the first time) also left for dead(at least no for a while) because the campains just get teedius after awhile

flipside: i could replay portal forever its just a fun game andi cant wait to get portal 2
i also can play the twilight princess if it just for the ending i loved the ending

Soviet Heavy:
Portal sadly. The second game is only fun to go through again for the humor, not the gaemplay. If they used the moon gel more and had nonlinear level design based around the gel, it would be neat.

I agree, Portal 2 is unfortunatly un-replayable. Im gonna need to forget the puzzle solutions first...

I'm going to blanket this to most modern FPS games. If you don't count the multiplayer (I think like Yahtzee, the game has to stand up on its SP campaign first), then almost all of them are one shot, rental worthy time wasters.

There are exceptions, of course, like Bioshock and Fallout, which are compelling enough to play more than once and has a deeper plot than "There are some insurgents, kill them".

Fallout 3. Not because it was a bad game, but there's no way I am going back to level 1 when I am already a God!

Oh, and I would also have to say Animal Crossing for the Wii. There is so little to do there after a while.

Dragon Age II. I couldn't stand the constant repetition of the game environments the first time through

Starcraft 2.

Yep. Uninteresting story. Underwhelming if not troll baiting ending. I have no interest in Heart of the Swarm.

Halo : Reach - Overrated Piece of Shit.
Dragon Age 2 - Overrated by the media, rightfully savaged by the gaming community(specially fans of the original(like me))

Fallout New Vegas - Glorified Expansion pack Fallout 3, which is not a problem, FO3 is excellent, but i stopped playing it, because i spend Months playing it and my energy for it went out, and this didn't do anything to change that.

Infamous - for some reason i actually really liked Infamous 2, which is weird because it pretty much "take the same, improve", and they REALLY did it.
Infamous was very overrated.

every single Fucking COD after 4 - ALL overrated.

Fursnake:
Dragon Age II. I couldn't stand the constant repetition of the game environments the first time through

Yeah I tried to play it again as a different class and I just felt despondant about all the quests.

meh.

xXxJessicaxXx:

Fursnake:

Yeah I tried to play it again as a different class and I just felt despondant about all the quests.

meh.

I managed to play it a second time through as female Hawke, which helped alot because she is so less bland than male Hawke is, but I never want to play that game ever again. Seriously, on the first playthrough, I rather liked the game and thought it was on par with Origins. Once I did it a second time however, I realized that most of the choices were really just fake ones with very little difference, so I disliked it much more afterwards.

AlternatePFG:

xXxJessicaxXx:

Fursnake:

meh.

I managed to play it a second time through as female Hawke, which helped alot because she is so less bland than male Hawke is, but I never want to play that game ever again. Seriously, on the first playthrough, I rather liked the game and thought it was on par with Origins. Once I did it a second time however, I realized that most of the choices were really just fake ones with very little difference, so I disliked it much more afterwards.

Yeah I thought 'This time I will choose this!' It made no difference at all :< that's the point where I lost interest too.

Tbh the main storyline isn't even that compelling although I did enjoy the serial killer plotline.

xXxJessicaxXx:
Yeah I thought 'This time I will choose this!' It made no difference at all :< that's the point where I lost interest too.

Tbh the main storyline isn't even that compelling although I did enjoy the serial killer plotline.

I think the problem with the storyline was that it was just too disjointed. Major parts of the game like the Quanri Uprising or the Mage vs. Templar war would have been really interesting if there was more time spent on them, instead of just fast forwarding through it. There is like 3 different incoherent stories in the game that last about 10 hours each, not one coherent 30 hour story.

Gotta say, Amnesia the Dark Descent. I just don't want to cheapen the first time I played it by knowing all the answers and knowing which monster jumps are scripted.

DURHUR ANY GAME THATS LINEAR

Honestly, almost any game is replayable in my eyes. If you enjoyed it, it's worth playing through again, as with what was said in the latest Jimquisition.

However, there are a few exceptions. Braid is one of them: Once you solve the puzzles and figure out the story, and read through the secret story, there's nothing more to see. The mystery of it all, the intrigue of what the hell was going on in the story, that's what kept you going. Knowing the twist, knowing how it all ends, it just ruins the point of another playthrough. And if I have to do that "A Fickle Companion" level ever again, I swear...

I would have to agree with most of the posters here and say (with a great amount of sadness)that Dragon Age II is probably one of the least replayable games that I have played. I adored Origins, and finished multiple playthroughs gladly. But with DA2, I played a full playthrough as a Mage, and then started again as a Warrior. To this day, I still haven't made it to the Deep Roads on the second playthrough. All the quests that were mildly interesting before just seem bland and pointless. It resulted in wandering around random places for about an hour, and then playing something else. I just didn't feel at all interested in the story, having already witnessed all of the major events the first time. It saddens me, especially after Origins was so amazing in terms of replayability.

Diablo 2. Replay? The game has no play value. Click click click click click yaaaaawwnnnnn...

inFAMOUS

The characters are just too unlikable, the gameplay is just too repetitive, and the hero/villain choices feel like they have so little bearing on the outcome of the game to warrant a second playthrough to see the other side.

I find it extremely hard to get to the good parts of DA:O again. I tried replaying it awhile back. It took me 3 months to get past Ostagar again.

I fucking hate Ostagar

Frankly any game that doesn't have the New Game+ function.

Although I found myself replaying Amnesia The Dark Descent many times over just to see if I could speedrun it.

Cid SilverWing:
Frankly any game that doesn't have the New Game+ function.

Although I found myself replaying Amnesia The Dark Descent many times over just to see if I could speedrun it.

I tried that... Didn't exactly work in Storage...

Crysis, every CoD except 4, pretty much every war shooter, and Crysis 2.

Resident Evil 5, Shellshock 2: Bloodtrails, Fable (ALL), Alpha Protcal, Red faction: Armageddon, L.A. Noire, Alan Wake, Brink, Wolfenstein, Rouge Warrior (Really sucked!), Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood, Silent Hill: Homecoming, QUANTUM THEORY, Ghostbusters, Singularity, Assassin's Creed (ALL), F.E.A.R. 2 (Unless your trying to tramatize your neighbor), Metro 2033, Mafia 2, Devil May Cry 4, Darksiders, Brutal Legend (Brutally beat the shit out of me with it's RTS), and Fracture (Didn't even give a shit enough to finish).

And this is just a section!

TestECull:
Crysis, every CoD except 4, pretty much every war shooter, and Crysis 2.

You sir... there is something wrong with you.

While I agree COD4 was good (I bought it recently) I just didn't care for it's story... it had a few cool moments, like the pripyat mission, but i just wasn't drawn in.

I really disagree with you on the Crysis series. They were MADE for campaign, explaining while crysis' online was okay, and crysis 2's was below average.

But each to his own I guess.

as for me- COD black Ops, and Borderlands (ESPECIALLY BORDERLANDS) I played it a bit at my friends house about 2 months before I bought it, thought it was fun, but then when I bought it... I just thought this is shit.

Probably Duke Nukem Forever. I can't even finish it once :/

I decided I wanted to play something different, so I bought "something that was cheap on Steam" called Still Life. Its an adventure murder-mystery that features some graphic images of the murder victims, and little else of note.

Aaaaand it turns out that playing the game is just as brutal.
The game does some hand-holding to help you get where it wants you to go - but its often holding the wrong hand. Items that you don't need yet are clickable, which is probably supposed to communicate the idea that you will need this later, as they serve no purpose until then. Yet when you do need them, the specific clickable part becomes vanishingly small - to the point of making you wonder was there anything there at all. The game is obtuse enough that the Steam files include a PDF walkthrough, which can only express to me that the developers realized how non-intuitive the game is. I loaded a saved game and had no idea what the hell it was that I needed to do - and nothing in the game communicated that information to me. So that was a good signal to stop playing it.

One of the game review sites gave the game a 6.0 out of 10 for replay-ability, which helped to wake me up to what review scores really mean. Aha! 6.0 of 10.0 = zero! I get it now!

Honorable Mention:
Remember the original Command & Conquer game? That was pretty cool. Remember the GDI Special Forces guy who kicked so much ass that he should have had his OWN GAME? Well, I can't remember what they called it, but they made that game as a FPS, and it was just horrible.
Was that C&C:Renegade?

Edit: Oooh! Wait. One more: Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell.
Speaking of non-intuitive gameplay. I would rather be properly impaled on a tree than suffer through Splinter Cell - or any of its offspring (I installed Double Agent but deleted it within about a day).

Anything that is linear has no replay value , unless theres a new game + that actually adds something other than you keep all your equipment, levels , monies etc...

Games that i will never replay , Eternal sonata ( it DOES have replay value , assuming you define replay value as a reason to play it again , like added story elements and secret dungeons )

Anyways i personally prefer a game with alot of extra side quests ( Final fantasy 6 - 12 and wild arms 2 - 5 wins in that category and by a longshot ) to replaying a WHOLE game over from scratch.

Nydestroyer:
No replay value award has to go to borederlands after the 2nd time around evverything seems so played out story wise and its so limmited on the starter area oh and any spiderman game(except flying around on webs thats always fun :P) OHHH and crackdown

I disagree with Borderlands.

There are 4 characters, that oozes replay value. It's got online, item based co-op. The only game I've played more online than DotA was Diablo 2, which had online, item based, co-op.

Anyway, I can't actually think of any off the top of my head, maybe on the venn diagram of how I feel about games the circle depicting the type of games that aren't fun to replay happens to be filled with most of the circle depicting games that I don't want to play anyway.

evilneko:
Diablo 2. Replay? The game has no play value. Click click click click click yaaaaawwnnnnn...

Really?

me:

The only game I've played more online than DotA was Diablo 2,...

CleverCover:

More recently there's Bully. The ending kind of ruined everything for me.

Bully? Whilst not winning awards for most super-duperest spectacular ending ever, it tied everybodies fate up nicely and fit in well with the tone of the game, that's not one I'd have picked out for criticism. What ruined it for you?

Myself? Probably the Call of Duty games (of which I have two, MW2 and Black Ops). OK, I'm cheating here since I technically did replay them once so as to go back and do it on insane difficulty and sweep up any remaining achievements. But they're not games I'd ever go back and do the campaign again just for the fun of it, even though they were functionably fun enough the first time.

Black Ops Singleplayer;
Halo Trilogy (I was getting really into when I played the second one on PC but now that I've played the third one I have nothing to go back to. It was truly awful);
Tron Evolution;
there are loads but these are the games I can see from here.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked