EA Origin Keeps your games after one year, possibly

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Steam users are used to buying their games, having their wallets raped on weekend sales and being able to download their purchased games any time they want...but that isn't the case with EA's Origin which has already pulled their newest games from Steam's Library.

According to a disclaimer on EA's website, users who purchase any game from EA Origins may only download or access the game for a limit of one year before they might need to repurchase the title again to keep....unlike Steam's system where the game stays on your account for good without the need of a repurchase.

Some gamers are pissed off at EA's plan to give out special weapon unlocks to whoever pre-orders Battlefield 3 but as Vicky put it in another post, why get mad when the guns don't unbalance the game? On the other hand, pulling games from Steam seems to push more gamers to the point of unleashing their nerd rage and boycott EA even more.

If this is true, R.I.P. EA Origin. You died before you lived. Thoughts?

Source: http://gotgame.com/2011/06/15/ea-origins-keeps-your-games-after-one-year/

Another reason EA origins will fail to the point of no return against steam. Also, why does it matter if the game is bought on origins or steam? they get just as much money selling them for the same price, so does it really matter?

honestly, what else would we expect from everyone's favorite little scamp of a publisher? Oh EA, you little RASCAL you!

If this is true, then EA Origin = Epic Fail.
How did they ever think something like that is going to go well?

You know what the sad part is?

They'll get away with it.

Ever seen the South Park episode Human CentIpad (S15E01)? There are millions Kyles worldwide.

Pingieking:
If this is true, then EA Origin = Epic Fail.
How did they ever think something like that is going to go well?

Most people never read the legaleese in these sites etc, that's why.

Wow, makes you wonder if Origin will even last a year. What do they have over Steam again?

Seriously who came up with the idea to challenge the almighty Steam with something worse. I seriously doubt many people will use it, I know I am not alone in that. Fuck I'll just buy Battlefield 3 retail then, I don't even care.

let's rock:
Another reason EA origins will fail to the point of no return against steam. Also, why does it matter if the game is bought on origins or steam? they get just as much money selling them for the same price, so does it really matter?

Because Valve takes a cut through Steam, and EA is hoping they can achieve greater profits if they cut Valve out of the deal. Valve doesn't run that service for free and like EA access to products purchased are at the whim of Valve management and the even more capricious will of the economy at large.

RedEyesBlackGamer:
Wow, makes you wonder if Origin will even last a year. What do they have over Steam again?

Well, they have access to those new EA titles I suppose. Most of which fail to pique my interest.

ChromeAlchemist:
If this is true, R.I.P. EA Origin. You died before you lived. Thoughts?

Source: http://gotgame.com/2011/06/15/ea-origins-keeps-your-games-after-one-year/

It's the same agreement they've used for the EA Store and EA Download Manager in the past, and it's not something they actually enforce. They're basically just covering their asses in case something comes up that forces them to take down some older games from their service.

Eclectic Dreck:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

Well, they have access to those new EA titles I suppose. Most of which fail to pique my interest.

You could just buy retail. Unless they make them digital only. If they really wanted to push Origin, they might do that. I still see it failing long term. Maybe bombing all together.

RedEyesBlackGamer:

Bugger all. Hell I never even knew about it, but hearing 'EA' in the name made me steer well clear of even considering it.

I cant see EA pulling anything like that. That would be suicide.

Also, im pretty sure Steam has a clause in which they reserve the right to deny access to all your games, friends, whatever, whenever they want, for no reason.

If you really want to get all "omg EA u suck so much", just think about that for a second. Origin actually promises you one year of access. Steam doesnt. Steam could let you purchase the game and then shut you out 2 seconds later.

wow, i may have to warn the people that i know of about this, lol

If this is true, I'm not buying Battlefield 3, Mass Effect 3 or whatever worthwhile games that will be required to run this. Wonder what you would have to do if you buy them retail though.

bam13302:
wow, i may have to warn the people that i know of about this, lol

I purchased Spore Creature Creator on June 21, 2008, and Mirror's Edge on March 5, 2009, and I can still download both. Both games had license agreements stating that the service could be canceled after 1 year.

let's rock:

So you don't think Steam charges anything for their service?

let's rock:

No they don't actually. Steam takes a portion of the sale. Since Origin is EA's own service EA keep's all the money from the sale.

Still this is a dumb idea if it's true. Taking a second look at it doesn't say you will have access to it for only one year. It's possible it's saying no matter what happens you are guaranteed access for a minimum of one year. Like if they go out of buisness or something. I don't know this language is pretty vague. I'm not sure EA would do something as monumentally stupid as forcing people to re-purchase their games if they haven't downloaded them after a year. Then again I've been proven wrong in the past.

Also doesn't Steam have install limits on their games?

So in a sense we only borrow the games for one year. Now I have to admit something like this has never been tried, maybe it will work or maybe it will be a complete failure.

Darn. I forgot about EA's bullshit already...
WAIT HOLY **** THEY ARE PUBLISHING BF3! Oh man, the things I'm going to do if their greasy hands even touch BF3

AlternatePFG:
If this is true, I'm not buying Battlefield 3, Mass Effect 3 or whatever worthwhile games that will be required to run this. Wonder what you would have to do if you buy them retail though.

I'm sure that the retail versions will forcibly install Origin on your computer, so that when BF3 and ME3 and all the other big-name EA games come out and sell a lot of hard copies, they can say Origin is a huge success. Also, they'll probably start enforcing DRM not unlike the type in Darkspore (Which requires a constant internet connection at all times to play the single-player), and because Origin will have tons of EA Exclusive titles they will be able to keep them at whatever prices they want.

But that's just my opinion. After all, doesn't the retail copy of Alice: Madness Returns come with Origin?

shrekfan246:

AlternatePFG:

I'm sure that the retail versions will forcibly install Origin on your computer, so that when BF3 and ME3 and all the other big-name EA games come out and sell a lot of hard copies, they can say Origin is a huge success. Also, they'll probably start enforcing DRM not unlike the type in Darkspore (Which requires a constant internet connection at all times to play the single-player), and because Origin will have tons of EA Exclusive titles they will be able to keep them at whatever prices they want.

But that's just my opinion. After all, doesn't the retail copy of Alice: Madness Returns come with Origin?

Well, guess I'll skip out on them altogether anyways. Eh, I really wasn't that much looking forward to either anyways.

That being said, I'm not going to jump the gun until I actually know what this means for sure, it's kinda vague.

I was expecting this bullshit from the beginning - why is it that large corporations think they can add whatever assinine conditions they want?

Sure, some of the masses will be willing/not care about these dumb conditions and will sign up, but as long as there are better alternatives, you can be I will have as little to do with these idiots as possible.

Heck, they've already lost me as a customer of pre-ordering with the bull-crap they pulled on DA2 (have to sign-up online for all preorder bonuses). They can take it up the tailpipe before I have anything more to do with them.

AlternatePFG:

shrekfan246:

AlternatePFG:

Well, guess I'll skip out on them altogether anyways. Eh, I really wasn't that much looking forward to either anyways.

That being said, I'm not going to jump the gun until I actually know what this means for sure, it's kinda vague.

And that right there is the entire point of the legalese that they spout. If it's vague, they don't need to enforce anything, or they can jump to conclusions on innocent people. I rarely ever use Steam (I only have Portal on it) and I'll try my hardest to avoid this Origin thing too, but it seems to me like EA is simply wanting to have exclusive rights to sell their published games for as much as they can milk people for.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
I cant see EA pulling anything like that. That would be suicide.

Also, im pretty sure Steam has a clause in which they reserve the right to deny access to all your games, friends, whatever, whenever they want, for no reason.

If you really want to get all "omg EA u suck so much", just think about that for a second. Origin actually promises you one year of access. Steam doesnt. Steam could let you purchase the game and then shut you out 2 seconds later.

Link/Pic to this?

A Weakgeek:
WAIT HOLY **** THEY ARE PUBLISHING BF3! Oh man, the things I'm going to do if their greasy hands even touch BF3

EA has published every Battlefield game. You didn't know that?

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

This bears repeating. Steam's EULA specifically states that your license to download the games is "limited", and can be terminated at any time. EA at least promises you a year. Steam could drop your game after two weeks if they wanted. But no one seriously believes either company will exercise that option, right?

CD-R:

A Weakgeek:

EA has published every Battlefield game. You didn't know that?

Well yes but there are some things in life that my mind is able to block out. One example is that one of my favorite series is published by the worst company in the industry.

CD-R:

Also doesn't Steam have install limits on their games?

No. You can download and install them as many times as you please, on as many machines as you please. You just need to be signed into your account to play them.

I am now against them officially. The steam model is great. This sucks.

Edit: NVM. i think I'm going to wait for more info before commenting on this one.

According to a disclaimer on EA's website, users who purchase any game from EA Origins may only download or access the game for a limit of one year before they might need to repurchase the title again to keep [it].

how is that even legal? wouldn't EA have to classify the purchase as a 'rental' as opposed to a 'purchase'? that would be like GM coming to take your car back after paying off the financing after 60 months.

there is exactly one way to beat steam: better or at least equally good deals and be extra super nice to people.

because we PC gamer are not only bitches but smug bitches at that.

As a gamer I'm in tears...from laughing so hard!

EA this is a huge massive failure, and if you think that gamers will put up with that for one minute you are out of your minds!

Heh any bets to when they will come crawling back to Steam?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked