Let's design the perfect controller by combining parts from ones that already exist

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

The SNES controller with L2 and R2 triggers on the back or mouse and keyboard for some games.

Everything about the PS controller (which one? Doesn't matter) can die in a fire.

I've used SNES, N64, Gamecube, PS, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, PC, and a few arcade systems; and the PS controller owns them all in terms of crappiness. I can't stand the damn thing, I was honestly set on never getting a PS3 ever until I heard you can get controllers for it that have the 360 design.

So, yeah. The Xbox 360 controller. It's flawless. In regards to the D-pad, I suppose that could do with some improvement, but that's it.

captaincabbage:

Souplex:
The perfect controller already exists. It's the 360 controller.

As much as I hate to admit it (as a PS3 fanboy) you're totally right. It's the most ergonomic, easy controller I've ever used. If they replaced the triggers and shoulder buttons with the PS3 ones then I'd buy four of them. I'm already considering getting an Xbox controller knockoff for my PS3, just with PS3 motifs (triangle, Circle, X, Square, etc.).

EDIT!!! EDIT!!! I just remembered!! The perfect controller already exists!

Gaze in awe, fleshy mortals, at the Splitfish controller for PS3!!

Thing on the left looks kinda good depending on its size, but what's the max DPI tracking on the mouse?

Sorry to shit all over the Xbox 360 controller trend, but the PS2 had AN IDENTICAL CONTROLLER BEFORE THE 360.

And it was perfect, the mouse offers a fucking better aiming system, the keyboard offers many keys to the gods of games, but the ps2 controller (Assuming everyone used the same controller) had the best of them all in terms of actual usability.

Also, what.

Xzi:

captaincabbage:

Souplex:

As much as I hate to admit it (as a PS3 fanboy) you're totally right. It's the most ergonomic, easy controller I've ever used. If they replaced the triggers and shoulder buttons with the PS3 ones then I'd buy four of them. I'm already considering getting an Xbox controller knockoff for my PS3, just with PS3 motifs (triangle, Circle, X, Square, etc.).

Thing on the left looks kinda good depending on its size, but what's the max DPI tracking on the mouse?

lol fucked if I know. I can imagine the left part is about the size of a regular PS3/360 controller cut in half, but I've got no idea about the other part.

To me, the perfect controller would have the shape and triggers of the 360, the D-pad and analogue stick locations of the PS1/2/3, and the ABXY buttons of the Gamecube. I say the ABXY of the Gamecube because, for some odd reason on the 360, I have a tendency to hit A when I meant to hit B. Don't ask why, but happens, more often than not.

The perfect controller, obviously, is you. Kinect told me so.

Souplex:

I was going to say this. There is absolutely no problem with the 360 controller. My hand fits absolutely perfect around it. Everything from the weight to the buttons feels spot-on excellent. And the best thing about it is that there isn't any motion sensor in it, so if I buy a game on 360 that isn't for the Kinect I know for certain that there will be no flailing!

/Thread...

Yeah I realize you really meant Game Pads in the title, but whatever. I ween!

Honestly, the perfect controller for me was the PS2/PS3 controller in general. Its light, the perfect size, buttons are well-spaced, and its comfortable as a cloud to hold and play.

I'd add in the ports that the Dreamcast controllers had though for its memory cards. Probably have it centered, and if you include the space for the VMU card, right in the center of the of the controller as well. Hopefully that keeps the weight of it well distributed as well as ensuring that it remains comfortable to hold. Motion controls can remain out, I don't much care for them.

The inclusion of said port would of course widen the controller to make room, but that won't bother me much to be honest.

RevRaptor:
This right here is pretty much my idea of the perfect controller.
It's a Razor onza tournament edition :)
Wish the build quality was a little better though. My wired xbox360 controller feels damn near bullet proof. Feels a lot better in my hands than my trusty ps2 controllers too.

I used to have this Logitech controller with theses awesome rubber side grips it was the best feeling ps2 controller I had ever held but after returning my third one due to faulty analogue sticks I had to give up on them. If only they didn't keep breaking they would have been my favourite.

That thing says "LMFB". Does that stand for "Left Mother Fucking Bumper"? Because that's honestly all I could think of.

Souplex:

Talal Provides:

Souplex:

The control pad is only there for people who are too stubborn to use the joystick. It's meant to punish them until they learn their lesson.

And menu navigation, and weapon/item/ability/etc. selection, and pretty much every other secondary function that you don't always need to perform but use enough that accessing a menu would make everything clunky and horrible.

It's fine for everything except inputting shoryukens, and for that we have the stick.

So...

Not perfect.

The PS2 controller WAS the perfect controller.

That's right, PS2. Not PS3. Since it has that shitty sixaxis and mushy L2 and R2.

FarleShadow:
Sorry to shit all over the Xbox 360 controller trend, but the PS2 had AN IDENTICAL CONTROLLER BEFORE THE 360.

And it was perfect, the mouse offers a fucking better aiming system, the keyboard offers many keys to the gods of games, but the ps2 controller (Assuming everyone used the same controller) had the best of them all in terms of actual usability.

Also, what.

EDIT : Dude do you know what Identical means? , also have you ever seen either a PS2 controller or a 360 one?
lastly, do you know of the gamecube controller?
actually with the 360 controller I Can get more accuracy then I ever could with a mouse

May I also point out to the mouse elitist that Left and right hand coordination A is good to work on and gamepads employ that and B to flick a thumbstick as compared to moving a mouse I'll take flicking the thumbstick for my headshots any day

Point being : The Accuracy argument is invalid, either learn to play or go away

the 360 controller btw lads is based on the gamecube controller

Not the ps2 one

and may I add that the p2 controller is clunky and you need to actually grab the thing

the xbox 360 controller and he gamecube controller can rest on the palm of your hands

where the ps1-ps2 one will just fal

captaincabbage:

Souplex:

I'd like just that controller bit for my PC, I brought this up and my friends didn't agree. Mouse control is nice but I like how nice it feels to move with a controller. Yes the aiming is the difficult bit sometimes but come on...a keyboard doesn't help in shooters, other games sure.

PS3 Shape,stick placement,and d-pad. Xbox 360 Face Buttons,triggers,and stick design. and Wii MotionPlus tracking. OH! and it should have a keyboard that slides out from the bottom.

Snotnarok:
I'd like just that controller bit for my PC, I brought this up and my friends didn't agree. Mouse control is nice but I like how nice it feels to move with a controller. Yes the aiming is the difficult bit sometimes but come on...a keyboard doesn't help in shooters, other games sure.

I agree, actually. I think the keyboard does its job just fine, but there's really no reason we NEED to have something so bulky for use with most of today's games. A thumbstick for movement with D-pad for weapon/spell selection and a couple of buttons is more than enough. That combined with a high DPI mouse in your other hand would be the perfect game controller, no question.

Something like this, for example:

Not quite there, but a good start.

I need a keybaord in it somehow or it won't work for me. >.<

PS3 controller as is with a better d-pad, like the one on the wii.

lordlillen:
if the replace the R1 and L1 with the playstation versions this would be my dream controller.

Analog sticks are to close together, be awkward for thumbs.

I actually found the Gamecube controller to be my favorite. Feels the best to hold. add the dual analog to gamecube, and perfection, maybe swap the triggers for the xbox's.

Also, I looooved the ability the wii controllers gave me: to lay down, arms splayed wide, using absolutely no muscles what-so-ever to support myself. playing okami that way was bliss. take out the necessity to point the remote at the screen occasionally and subtract the wire and its just great.

Finally, there is only one thing I like in motion controls, and thats the wii-waggle, oddly enough. i thought it was a great idea to add another input/action function on the wiimote simply by making me shake my wrist to perform an in game action rather then have another button.

AnythingOutstanding:
The PS2 controller WAS the perfect controller.

That's right, PS2. Not PS3. Since it has that shitty sixaxis and mushy L2 and R2.

Get rid of the cord and make it wireless like PS3 controllers and yes, I'm inclined to agree.

The 3D view of the Nintendo Virtual boy, and the motion detection of the power glove.

The perfect controller is the Wii U's you just don't know it yet.

Azaraxzealot:

Souplex:

as game informer once pointed out when designing THEIR perfect controller, and based on the sales of the 360-style controller for PC, i think it's safe to assume this is correct

Horrible d-pad and no internal battery nullify that statement.

can we put dreamcast handles on it? or maybe the memory card thing

Lancer873:
The 3D view of the Nintendo Virtual boy, and the motion detection of the power glove.

You like inflicting pain on others, don't you?

Also, a PS2 with the SNES Turbo button controller settings, because my thumbs get too sore from constantly pressing one button in a long chain of one QTE.

FarleShadow:
not making sense

....you're trolling, right? Seriously, I'm trying to think of a reason someone can honestly say the 360 controller ripped off the ps2 one, and that's all that came to mind. Anyone who has held both types of controllers and says "yea, this one is a rip off of this one" just cannot be trusted. They are similar in that they both have the same amount of buttons/sticks, and that is literally it. the stick location, the overall shape/size, one having actual triggers as opposed to buttons...seriously, gtfo. reported for breaking multiple rules, too. this isn't 4-chan, calling people faggots is generally frowned upon.

OT: The 360 controller with a gamecube D-pad. That is all.

lordlillen:
if the replace the R1 and L1 with the playstation versions this would be my dream controller.

A few problems with that.

1: The control pad is where the left stick should be.
2: Having the face buttons be random shapes makes them annoying to memorize.

icame:

Azaraxzealot:

Souplex:

as game informer once pointed out when designing THEIR perfect controller, and based on the sales of the 360-style controller for PC, i think it's safe to assume this is correct

Horrible d-pad and no internal battery nullify that statement.

http://www.psu.com/forums/threads/5254-Xbox-360-The-Best-Controller-Ever-So-says-IGN.?p=87567&viewfull=1

i'm more inclined to agree with professionals in the gaming industry than some random person on the internet.

Zer_:

/Thread...

Yeah I realize you really meant Game Pads in the title, but whatever. I ween!

How do you "Ween"? I only see things designed to handicap the gaming experience.

Snotnarok:

captaincabbage:

Souplex:

Yeah PC gamers can be weird sometimes. My friend, who only plays PC, unless he's at my house, swears that driving with a keyboard is more fluid and precise than with a analogue stick. I promptly scoffed at his claim.

I use a PC, but I remember console gaming throughout the 90s. Mostly I remember hand sweat & finger pain, therefore my perfect controller would have:

*Comfortable sweat-proof grips.
*Soft rubber buttons.

Souplex:
How do you "Ween"? I only see things designed to handicap the gaming experience.

Handicap in what way, exactly? Sure, a keyboard has a lot of unused buttons when it comes to gaming, but there is no controller even half as accurate as a decent gaming mouse. So if anything, the thumb stick is handicapped in that regard.

Like I said, take a peripheral in one hand with a thumb stick for movement, D-pad for selection, and a couple buttons for whatever, and then put a mouse in the other hand for aiming/firing, and you've got the perfect game controller.

Grey_Focks:

FarleShadow:
not making sense

....you're trolling, right? Seriously, I'm trying to think of a reason someone can honestly say the 360 controller ripped off the ps2 one, and that's all that came to mind. Anyone who has held both types of controllers and says "yea, this one is a rip off of this one" just cannot be trusted. They are similar in that they both have the same amount of buttons/sticks, and that is literally it. the stick location, the overall shape/size, one having actual triggers as opposed to buttons...seriously, gtfo. reported for breaking multiple rules, too. this isn't 4-chan, calling people faggots is generally frowned upon.

OT: The 360 controller with a gamecube D-pad. That is all.

March 5, 2000, PS2 released.
May 3, 2002, gamecube released.
Dec 2, 2005, Xbox360 released.

TBH, finding the singular 'one controller' is like finding the missing link, everyone claims it, but nobody will actually find it without spending a fucking decade in the patent labs of obscura. Also, internet!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked