Let's design the perfect controller by combining parts from ones that already exist

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

There have been lots of good controllers, lots of really great ones, but there really hasn't been one that has been absolutely perfect, one where everything about it, the ergonomics, the buttons, the sticks, the pad, etc. was as good as it possibly could have been. So, The Escapist, I ask you, what piece of an existing controller do you think should be included in this wonderful perfect fantasy controller, and why?

I'll start by nominating the sliding, analog two-stage triggers from the Gamecube controller. They were the one thing the Gamecube did that truly stood out as great, and are hands down the best triggers I have ever used on a controller. They had a long, but not too long pull that allowed you to really control the amount of pressure you applied, they had great feel and feedback, and the fact that you would pull, and then click them, allowed them to perform two functions with one trigger.

I'm going to nominate the shoulder triggers of the PS2 controller. They just seemed to work and had the most buttons.

The perfect controller already exists. It's the 360 controller.

like the Gamecube, analog and digital button that can be pushed halfway down or clicked, also 2 of each trigger button like non nintendo consoles, but really, I like thw wii's split controller in each hand, just not the motion controlls, so basicly an x-box/gamecube hybrid, cut in half with a wire, or wireless. the split wii controller allowed me to sit in more comfortable positions, laying down with my arms spread or on eather side of me for non motion games like SSBB.

Souplex:

Even with that d-pad?

Souplex:

what about its d-pad?
360 controller with the Nintendo D-pad would be perfect

Souplex:

On that note, the perfect controller already exists. The Nintendo 64 controller ... see what I did there?

OT: I quite like the Wii controller. Maybe make them the tiniest bit bigger (only a tiny bit) so that your hands don't get all cramped, but apart from that they are fairly good I mainly like not having to be hunched over a controller, it lets you just lie back and relax while you play.

D-Pad of Ps2...

And the Triggers of Xbox 360....

Xbox 360 controller with PS2 D-pad and Dreamcast VMU. Though its not actually a memory card...I dunno, I just like the idea of a controller that relays extra info. I guess the new WiiU controller will be doing the same thing.

360 controller + SNES/NES D-pad. That's pretty much it.

Souplex:

Got to agree with you on that it just feels so comfortable in your hands and the trigger buttons are amazing though admittedly I play a lot of first and third person shooters so maybe I'm a bit biased as they are good for them.

mitchell271:

Souplex:

what about its d-pad?
360 controller with the Nintendo D-pad would be perfect

The control pad is only there for people who are too stubborn to use the joystick. It's meant to punish them until they learn their lesson.

Souplex:

The control pad is only there for people who are too stubborn to use the joystick. It's meant to punish them until they learn their lesson.

And menu navigation, and weapon/item/ability/etc. selection, and pretty much every other secondary function that you don't always need to perform but use enough that accessing a menu would make everything clunky and horrible.

Talal Provides:

Souplex:

And menu navigation, and weapon/item/ability/etc. selection, and pretty much every other secondary function that you don't always need to perform but use enough that accessing a menu would make everything clunky and horrible.

It's fine for everything except inputting shoryukens, and for that we have the stick.

Take the xbox 360 controller, add the Dualshock 3 D-pad, and make it connect with BLUETOOTH instead of whatever crappy proprietary signal microsoft uses, and it's pretty much the perfect controller.

An xbox 360 controller with the D-pad of a Nes/Snes the L1 and L2 buttons of a playstation and a included battery charger

You're all wrong, it's the Middle and Right handles of the N64 Controller.

Hi! I'm a lead designer from a large well known console developer!

Our research shows that people clearly want to exercise as much as possible when playing video games! It helps them relax! Therefore, we determined that the best controller ever combines a Kinect, PlayStation move, Wiimotes, eyetoys,and a Wii balance board! You play all the games using an Exercycle while lifting weights and doing situps!

It's called the iRelax, all in one contoller. we will be releasing it early 2012 for $400 each!

I already have two PS3 controllers with the extended trigger attachments, why would I need to create a new one? My hands have been moulded over the years to the playstation style controller, it's what I do. I guess have the trigger attachments being an actual part of a standard controller would be nice, but that's just nitpicking. 360 controllers are ok, but they feel too cheap and slightly too big. I do actually have quite large hands, but I like getting my hands really around a controller, which is much easier on a small PS3 one.

I'm going to be controversial (but sincere), and say it should have the grips/handles/whatever you want to call them from the Virtual Boy. Sooooooo comfy.

Souplex:

as game informer once pointed out when designing THEIR perfect controller, and based on the sales of the 360-style controller for PC, i think it's safe to assume this is correct

I think the playstation controller is the most perfect controller.

Its fits so snugly in your hand, all the buttons are easily available.

I could bludgeon someone to death with the X-Box controller, its so bulky and the buttons are a mess.

Azaraxzealot:
and based on the sales of the 360-style controller for PC,

As an avid PC gamer, I'm going to step in and say this is because the 360 pad is the only one that works reliably without any kind of configuration/intervention on your part with modern games, which are designed to work with it already and use the correctly labeled buttons in options menus and tooltips and things like that instead of vague number assignments that may or may not make logical sense.

Pure speculation here, but what if you put buttons on the back of your controller where your pinky, ring, and middle finger comfortably rest?

I rather liked the Dual Shock controller, so much that I use it for my PC.

if the replace the R1 and L1 with the playstation versions this would be my dream controller.

I actually like holding the Wii controller + nunchuck. If they'd creaty a new version of those with "hardcore" gaming in mind, that would be perfect.

Like someone else said, nintendo d-pad on the xbox 360 controller. Although the 360 controller alone is perfect as it stands now anyway.

I also like the idea of having a combination of convex and concave face buttons, like the SNES, but not the actual buttons from that controller, which were kinda small.

lordlillen:
if the replace the R1 and L1 with the playstation versions this would be my dream controller.

/thread, pretty much. WAY easier said than done, and I think a lot could be done to make that mock-up look more attractive, but... yeah. The 360 controller fits the hand well, but needs a much better D-pad, and its shoulder buttons aren't very comfortable and are actually prone to breaking.

Well it's got to involve the mouse for accuracy. Otherwise it's just another POS that requires aim assistance. So in the other hand some sort of combo control stick/multi-button thing would work well.

lordlillen:

Yes. Best controller I've ever used is the PS2 one and most logically laid out imo... but it holds a little weirdly, whereas the overall shape of the 360 controller feels more normal. Also PS3 trigger buttons are too easy to slip off, 360 ones are better.

Souplex:

As much as I hate to admit it (as a PS3 fanboy) you're totally right. It's the most ergonomic, easy controller I've ever used. If they replaced the triggers and shoulder buttons with the PS3 ones then I'd buy four of them. I'm already considering getting an Xbox controller knockoff for my PS3, just with PS3 motifs (triangle, Circle, X, Square, etc.).

EDIT!!! EDIT!!! I just remembered!! The perfect controller already exists!

Gaze in awe, fleshy mortals, at the Splitfish controller for PS3!!

This right here is pretty much my idea of the perfect controller.
It's a Razor onza tournament edition :)
Wish the build quality was a little better though. My wired xbox360 controller feels damn near bullet proof. Feels a lot better in my hands than my trusty ps2 controllers too.

I used to have this Logitech controller with theses awesome rubber side grips it was the best feeling ps2 controller I had ever held but after returning my third one due to faulty analogue sticks I had to give up on them. If only they didn't keep breaking they would have been my favourite.

Really depends on the game. If its a console game for me (by that I mean an FPS, adventure game, etc.) than I really liked the ps2/ ps3 controller minus the cable. If its a PC game for me (mainly RTS and MOBA) that you can't beat a good mouse and a nice big wireless keyboard.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here