YuGiOh or Magic:The Gathering, which is better?
YuGiOh
27.6% (205)
27.6% (205)
Magic: The Gathering
71.7% (533)
71.7% (533)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: YuGiOh or Magic:The Gathering, which is better?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Sales wise? Yu-Gi-Oh! wins hands down.

But if we're going by wich is better to play, then no one can truely awnser that. That's something you need to decide.

Pick all the pros and cons of each game then see wich one stands above the other at the end of it.

I love YGO, but it can be annoying at times.

I've played MtG but it didn't really appeal to me and I only know one person who plays it.

If you want to play YGO and want to play the game without spending money, go to www.duelingnetwork.com

There you just register, then build a deck and play against other people in your web broswer.

One downside, is it's mostly manual. Shuffling and drawing are automatic.

James Nixon:
Feel like getting into a card game and can't decide between these two. Played quite a bit of YuGiOh on the PSP and played Duels of the Planeswalker on the PC and enjoyed both. Can't afford to buy cards for both so I'm wondering which is more fun in the longterm.

Honestly, yu-gi-oh used to be better but now they added ridiculous cards that threw off the balance of the game, so I would have to say magic.

There are a lot of yugioh fanboys on this thread that seem to think magic is slower paced or not as strategic for some strange reason.

Yu Gi Oh is a simpler game that has rules that limit deck building. In magic the rules are very open ended and complicated, but allow for far more freedom in deck building.

I've played both, and yu gi oh wears off it's novelty fairly quickly. Magic continually drags me back in however. I like knowing I have so many different decks with different ways to win (winning via lifegain, or decking your opponent, or poison counters). It keeps the game fresh and interesting knowing I have so many options of flavour when making decks. In yu gi oh I always felt every deck was a variation of just playing a bunch of creatures. It got boring for me after a while, but to each their own.

Magic just offers more in my opinion. It's far from perfect though, but it's the best out there at the moment imo.

cursedseishi:
Yu-Gi-Oh is better if you want something simple to learn and hop into.
Magic The Gathering is better if you want something a little more smarter, and have the patience for you.

Both games work in terms of assaulting the player indirectly or directly via "lifepoints", but that's about it when it comes to compatibility.

Buahahaha! Yu-Gi-Oh!'s only simple if you play against casual people.

Are rulings will drive you bat s**t insane.

xD So many people have trouble understanding priority, or getting used to missing the timing or what cards can and cannot be used durring the phases of the damage step.

My friend prefferes MtG because the rulings of YGO have screwed him over and bugged the hell out of him.

I play Yugioh myself, but you have to watch out with that game. The cards get crazy expensive fast if you want to play competitively, and since all cards are legal (I mean there is no time limit to when they are banned, although some cards are banned for being too powerful), you'll have to stay on top of the game and remember the combos.
On the plus side, it's fun to create a themed deck in Yugioh, since there are so many cards out there that you can use. It's a fun game, but people look at you odd if you say you play, due to the god-awful anime that is associated with the series.

PS: I play a Horus Lockdown deck and an XYZ deck. Niether of them are good in competitive tournaments, but they're a helluva fun to play against friends

Magic imo, because there is more strategy involved with the management of mana. Also, Magic has a more straightforward theme, wheras Yu-Gi-Oh seems to be all over the place in this aspect.

Magic, easily... Never played Yugioh

Grey_Focks:

OutrageousEmu:
.....where the hell did you people learn to count? That is not turn zero, that is turn one. If you are acting, that is your turn. Like I said, 13 combos that do that. You can't just point out a technicality in the Magic rulebook that the first turn doesn't count as a turn and say that means its a zero turn kill.

...you know, you are making it very hard for me to keep this civil. It is not turn one, it IS turn zero, because neither player has actually even started their turn yet. Literally both players have only drawn and kept their hands, that is it. It's not a technicality that the first turn isn't a turn, that literally makes no sense, a recurring theme in your posts. Again, that combo takes place literally after each players have decided who plays first and that they are keeping their hands. The opposing player literally dies before anyone's turn has even started, since you are doing ALL of that before their turn starts.

If the game has begun, then its someones turn.

Magic the Gathering is Turing Capble. Yu Gi Oh is not. End of the story.

...why is this even a question?
Magic. By far.

I like magic because it's a lot more free form and has a different sort of strategy.

Small things like your choosing who you send into combat to block or willingly taking the damage gives it a crazy extra level of thought process.
Mana also has just as many bluffing uses as trap card.

So yeah, as much as I liked Yugioh I'm just not into all the newer sets and Magic is still crazy and fun for me.

Played both and prefer YuGiOh.

MTG just has that whole tolkienesque thing going that always puts me off.

The same thing that stopped me getting into Oblivion

The best Yu Gi Oh card is BlackWarGreymon.

He's the best because he's the strongest pokemon.

Also, he only costs like 2 mana.

Magic. Way more in-depth, older, better art. And more people play it.

Also, some kid stole 50 Yu-Gi-Oh cards from me in grade 4. NOT BITTER AT ALL.

OutrageousEmu:

Grey_Focks:

OutrageousEmu:
.....where the hell did you people learn to count? That is not turn zero, that is turn one. If you are acting, that is your turn. Like I said, 13 combos that do that. You can't just point out a technicality in the Magic rulebook that the first turn doesn't count as a turn and say that means its a zero turn kill.

...you know, you are making it very hard for me to keep this civil. It is not turn one, it IS turn zero, because neither player has actually even started their turn yet. Literally both players have only drawn and kept their hands, that is it. It's not a technicality that the first turn isn't a turn, that literally makes no sense, a recurring theme in your posts. Again, that combo takes place literally after each players have decided who plays first and that they are keeping their hands. The opposing player literally dies before anyone's turn has even started, since you are doing ALL of that before their turn starts.

Don't apply yugioh logic to every card game. The game having begun does not means it's someone's turn, it just means the game has begun. Seriously, read the cards used in that combo, they literally say that you "start the game with them in play", not that you can put them in at the start of someone's turn, but you start THE GAME with them in play. No one's turn starts until the first upkeep, and this combo happens before then.

Isaiah-Raven Craig:
Magic imo, because there is more strategy involved with the management of mana. Also, Magic has a more straightforward theme, wheras Yu-Gi-Oh seems to be all over the place in this aspect.

To be fair, though, Magic /does/ have very different genres for different blocks.
Zendikar was surrealist fantasy, Innistrad will be Victorian England-theme.

Yugioh is great, Magic is better.

Mostly because if you read a magic card, its is pretty easy to see what its actually does.

If you read a yugioh card, you have to squint your eyes right down, read full text (there are no keywords in yugioh), try to remember all the abilities, remember to use synchros (ruined the game), remember to use Chimeratech fortress dragon if it's a machine and sometimes you have to look up the ruling on the internet even if two cards with the same text are in play, they may have different effects.

Also Zombie Master. He has an effect that still hasn't been given an errata even though the japanesse card has a different effect.

Also I'm a Yugioh judge.

The magic community is usually alot better IMO and there us no good way to play ygo online (like Magic Online).

Grey_Focks:

OutrageousEmu:

Grey_Focks:

Don't apply yugioh logic to every card game. The game having begun does not means it's someone's turn, it just means the game has begun. Seriously, read the cards used in that combo, they literally say that you "start the game with them in play", not that you can put them in at the start of someone's turn, but you start THE GAME with them in play. No one's turn starts until the first upkeep, and this combo happens before then.

So therefore you're using a technicality in the games rules to term that an 0TK. Which is what I said you were doing.

The7Sins:

Xzi:

The7Sins:
As this is not a dedicated card games forum I'll not go into my usual scathing review of Magic so as to hopefully avoid Mod wrath to my nice shiny new account on this great forum.

However the simplified bit is Yugioh is better than Magic for not only being a more fun game thanks to no resource system but Magic as a game is bad due to the rotating sets. (I have a long rant I could go into as to why this is bad but it is not something I'm certain is good for this forum or my account as it is not a dedicated card game forum)

You're telling me that Yu-Gi-Oh never releases new cards or revises which cards are legal on occasion? If that's the case, it must be INCREDIBLY imbalanced and poorly designed. But I know that's not the case, so stop trying to find non-existent advantages for one over the other, and let's instead just stick with the facts, shall we?

I never said that. Yugioh only bans problem powerful cards that honestly Konami was high when they created it for being all powerful and they release new sets regularly. Magic on the other hand rotates out whole sets forcing people to buy product. It is a concept of greed on the highest order and one I wholly dislike. Konami for all there faults do not force anyone to buy product. You can play Yugioh with just about anything you want as long as it is not banned and very few cards are. However of course you won't be as competitive as others if you don't buy thing on occasion. But its still a better option than holding a gun to the head of the game's addicts forcing them to throw money @ the game to keep there decks legal.

You DO realize that in Magic, there is a format called Legacy that is not only fairly popular, but varied enough that you can play decks that are 10 years old and they're STILL relevant AND the fact that Yu-Gi-Oh also had to create new formats called Advanced back in the day because keeping the same metagame was broken as all hell, right? It's not really so much as greed as much as basic game design balance.

Anyway, the reason why a lot of people call Yu-Gi-Oh "not strategic" is that it's a system that was built on an inherently less flexible base. Sacrificing monsters doesn't allow for enough "tiers" of costs to play cards, so from the 4th Level down, you have a wide swath of monsters that are useless, because you're only going to play the best monster at that level that fits your strategy. By the same token, Spells and Traps are inherently limited in their power level, because the amount of costs you can associate with them aren't inherent to the card type. They have to be constantly appended on to the card's effect and can thus be broken a lot of the time. Magic does not have this problem as much because while you only play, say, the best monster at converted mana cost 1, you have to consider your color choices, what your mana base can support, AND the fact that there isn't only "three tiers" of monsters, but that there's a huge spectrum of monsters.

This is why strategies like Synchro and Fusions are so popular in Yu-Gi-Oh. Upper Deck has to constantly make new kinds of Special Summons like this in order to add more and more available costs to support more and more levels of power. It's also why Yu-Gi-Oh feels a lot more binary to people; you either get some god-like combo or ability to summon a quick high-power monster with some kind of protection back up or you just flop out. In Magic, speed vs power vs consistency is a tradeoff that makes games feel a lot more dynamic to people, since it's completely viable to play less powerful cards for more consistency. I'm not going to say that there's some measure that makes this an absolute fact, but that's really what Magic has going for it compared to Yu-Gi-Oh for a lot of people.

OutrageousEmu:

Grey_Focks:

OutrageousEmu:

So therefore you're using a technicality in the games rules to term that an 0TK. Which is what I said you were doing.

Jesus christ kid, enough. No, it's not a technicality, it's a turn-zero win because the game has literally just begun because nobody's turn has happened yet, as I have explained in just about every way possible. You seem incapable of understanding such a basic fact, so I am done with you. I just hope nobody reads your posts and takes them seriously.

Grey_Focks:

OutrageousEmu:

Grey_Focks:

Jesus christ kid, enough. No, it's not a technicality, it's a turn-zero win because the game has literally just begun because nobody's turn has happened yet, as I have explained in just about every way possible. You seem incapable of understanding such a basic fact, so I am done with you. I just hope nobody reads your posts and takes them seriously.

And you seem incapable of understanding that just because you claim its not someones turn yet, if the game has begun its the first players turn.

LoFr3Eq:

Mostly because if you read a magic card, its is pretty easy to see what its actually does.

If you read a yugioh card, you have to squint your eyes right down, read full text (there are no keywords in yugioh), try to remember all the abilities, remember to use synchros (ruined the game), remember to use Chimeratech fortress dragon if it's a machine and sometimes you have to look up the ruling on the internet even if two cards with the same text are in play, they may have different effects.

Also Zombie Master. He has an effect that still hasn't been given an errata even though the japanesse card has a different effect.

Also I'm a Yugioh judge.

The magic community is usually alot better IMO and there us no good way to play ygo online (like Magic Online).

Yes, you have to know how the game actually works. Understand the rulling so ppl wont go OMFGwtf bugged cheats because they cant summon their chimeratech fortress dragon because they cant relate how banisher of light affects chimeratech fortress dragon summoning conditions.

Having no good way to play a game is a good thing. You want diversity to make games more intersting

I love when ppl fail so much at math and ruling when i have 2x skull invitation on the field and completely forget that the cards that will play will go to the graveyard after passivisation. Or that synchro material monsters go to the graveyard and cause damage to you too

Skull invitation, its beautiful. It transforms a childrens cardgame to a SHADOW CHILDRENS CARDGAME

Fail double post

Well I have been playing magic since I was in high school(wow graduated 1998) I played yu-gi-oh for a little while..but keep coming back to magic the gathering...just too much fun..so many cards u can make a different deck every time..with a different strategy..the one game I miss playing is Legends of the 5 rings..that was a real good card game too..but yea Magic the Gathering will always be king...just wish they would reproduce the old cards so I can relive the good old days of really really really powerful decks.

Besides the fact that I feel the Yu-gi-oh! show just got entirely out of hand and ruined it for me, I'll look at this from a more general standpoint.

Yu-Gi-oh
1. Not many people play it anymore
2. Many cards are banned.
3. Newer releases for cards are almost guaranteed to be better than older cards
4. Not that much strategy involved. Sure Traps and Spells are strategically, but mostly it is just summon monsters, kill what you can.

Magic
1. No show to ruin it.(If there is one, do not mention it.)
2. Makes more sense. You have mana at your arsenal so do whatever you can during your turn, as well as counter what your opponents do.
3.More strategy involved. If you have a powerful monster that takes up all of your mana for the turn as well as a card that will benefit you if your opponent attacks next turn, it might be better not to play that monster and defend first. Also, you need to think more about how many lands(mana providers) you want in your deck compared to creatures as well as spells and equipment.
4. Large amount of people play it.

Kind of biased still, but I highly recommend Magic

The problem with Yu-Gi-Oh is that it relies almost entirely on how much money you are willing to spend on cards. Yes, this is equally true in Magic, but in Magic, it's a lot more balanced, with good decks and good deck ideas available with almost every single card. Plus, not only is Magic a lot more strategic in my opinion, but there is a lot more depth to the cards, and a lot more flavor. I have the same problem with the Yu-Gi-Oh card game that I do with the Pokemon card game, in that they seem to be entirely about just the cards, which makes me feel less like a player and more like a facilitator for the cards. In Magic, I feel like each set tells a story, and that the characters are emotional and relatable, even when I am only seeing brief glimpses into their mindset, such as it is. There is a lot of symbolism in Magic, starting with and occasionally ending with the emotional and societal traits each color is given. Plus, smacking an enemy in the face with a Goblins until he is down to three and then Lightning Bolting him is among the most satisfying things I have ever done in a trading card game. I am not saying that Yu-Gi-Oh is a bad game, just that I personally had more fun and was more immersed in Magic than I ever was in Yu-Gi-Oh. In the end, it is up to whether or not your friends play Magic or Yu-Gi-Oh, as they are multiplayer games that require a community of people to really enjoy it.

I get the feeling Magic is better, since it's been around for like 30 years, but I play Yugioh all the time and it's pretty fun. I'd be able to judge better if I knew how to play Magic though

Magic hands down
no deck can just flat out win
theres a counter for everything
....except eldrazi....hehehe

The7Sins:

Xzi:

The7Sins:
As this is not a dedicated card games forum I'll not go into my usual scathing review of Magic so as to hopefully avoid Mod wrath to my nice shiny new account on this great forum.

However the simplified bit is Yugioh is better than Magic for not only being a more fun game thanks to no resource system but Magic as a game is bad due to the rotating sets. (I have a long rant I could go into as to why this is bad but it is not something I'm certain is good for this forum or my account as it is not a dedicated card game forum)

You're telling me that Yu-Gi-Oh never releases new cards or revises which cards are legal on occasion? If that's the case, it must be INCREDIBLY imbalanced and poorly designed. But I know that's not the case, so stop trying to find non-existent advantages for one over the other, and let's instead just stick with the facts, shall we?

I never said that. Yugioh only bans problem powerful cards that honestly Konami was high when they created it for being all powerful and they release new sets regularly. Magic on the other hand rotates out whole sets forcing people to buy product. It is a concept of greed on the highest order and one I wholly dislike. Konami for all there faults do not force anyone to buy product. You can play Yugioh with just about anything you want as long as it is not banned and very few cards are. However of course you won't be as competitive as others if you don't buy thing on occasion. But its still a better option than holding a gun to the head of the game's addicts forcing them to throw money @ the game to keep there decks legal.

also what are you talking about? never have i been forced to update my cards to partake in any local MTG get together with cards dating back to time spiral and ive never had an issue

I say Yugioh,but only because I don't remmeber how to play Magic,and in Yugioh my ancient Gear Deck kills all ._.

So yeah.

Magic! because you can make good decks for a lot less money, and the player base is bigger

You're also a lot likely to get nothing you can use from a pack (magic packs are not only bigger, but often give you a bunch of nice cards instead of just one)

Yes if you play standard/legacy it gets expensive really fast, but it's cheap and easy to build a nice casual deck.

Yu gi oh is unbalanced...i mean, you can disregard any rules if you either A) Are rich or B) have green hair.

whichever game your friends are willing to give you cards for free from :P

The only trading cards i ever bought it my life was one of those tiny packs of pokemon cards, you know the ones that have 4 or 5 strong/rare cards. All the rest of what i have was given to me for free ;)

honestly it depends on your budget

im assuming your going for casual play, so mtg will probably be cheaper in the long run

for tournament play, i would say yu gi oh is cheaper because the tournament decks in MTG will run you well over $100 (possibly over $500 if you play some of the legacy)

Meeelvin:

LoFr3Eq:

Also I'm a Yugioh judge.

Yes, you have to know how the game actually works. Understand the rulling so ppl wont go OMFGwtf bugged cheats because they cant summon their chimeratech fortress dragon because they cant relate how banisher of light affects chimeratech fortress dragon summoning conditions.

Having no good way to play a game is a good thing. You want diversity to make games more intersting

I love when ppl fail so much at math and ruling when i have 2x skull invitation on the field and completely forget that the cards that will play will go to the graveyard after passivisation. Or that synchro material monsters go to the graveyard and cause damage to you too

Skull invitation, its beautiful. It transforms a childrens cardgame to a SHADOW CHILDRENS CARDGAME

If you want really obscure, difficult decisions based on rules and knowledge of the game, Magic has that too. "Oh noes, I'm going to pump my guy in response to this -1/-1 counter. Wait, my guy died at end of turn?! Oh yeah, -1/-1 counters are permanent while this effect only lasts until end of turn." Or, you know, the whole "what goes to the graveyard" trick, which every TCG on the planet does.

The OP's point was that it's much easier to digest what a Magic card does and what kind of effects it's used for compared to Yu-Gi-Oh. It's a "easy to understand, hard to master" idea, whereas Yu-Gi-Oh's much more middleline on that regard. Even if you have super crazy, bomby effects, it's much easier to understand with a glance through on what it does in Magic (if you can get past the initial learning bump, which, I admit, is fairly significant in Magic).

I would have to say magic simply because there is no other card game out there that comes anywhere near magic in terms of both strategy and variety.

OutrageousEmu:

HumpinHop:

OutrageousEmu:
Magic is way slower paced and has less elements to it. It really comes down to two factors - how tactically you want to think, and how often you want to change your cards. YuGiOh's metagame changes radically with every new booster release.

Slow paced? How fast is Yugioh then? Standard goblin, cawblade, or infinite damage decks can win by turn four. What elements are there in Yugioh that aren't in MTG? (not as angry as this seems, more out of curiosity).

Dude, I regularly win by turn three, more than a few times by turn two. In fact, there are 13 ways to win on the first turn, without your opponent being able to do anything.

As for the elements not in Magic, combining monsters, sacrifice, removal from play, traps, and so on. All of these are elements that massively add to the tactical nature of the game.

right so what your saying is that yugioh is one of the worst balanced games out there.

Besides that magic can do everything that you just mentioned plus a hundred other things.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked