5 Videogames everyone should play

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

We've all seen the 'must see' lists for films/books/TV shows/etc. but I've never heard of one existing for games. Now that games are becoming more and more accepted as an artform and a mature entertainment medium, what 5 games would you recommend for someone who has never played games and wants to get into them? What would give them a good introduction and grounding of video games, showing them what they are, what they can do, how they can make you feel.

My list:

1) Doom (The daddy of 3D FPS's, and still fantastic)
2) COD Modern Warfare - especially the multiplayer (The game that spawned one of the most popular FPS franchises today, see how far we've come, and experience online gaming)
3) Age of Empires 2 (highly influential Real Time Strategy game, also a lot of fun.)
4) Splinter Cell Chaos Theory(The best stealth FPS I have played, can be tense pulse racing, humourous and fun)
5) Mass Effect (Incredibly popular RPG)

What do you think of my list, and what would your own list be?

Well I'll make it easier for everyone (including myself) and just say go to Metacritic and play the top 10 or 20 highest rated games for the Nintendo 64. And Tetris.

lol I basically had one of these threads two days ago
OT:
Shadow of the Colossus
Silent Hill 2 (It really is as good as YZ claims)
Conker
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
TLoZ: OoT

I could go on and I may in an edit, but yea.

I'll be unique and choose five recent indie games:
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Red Nation
Terraria
Frozen Synaps
Magicka

1) Timesplitters(all of them. Yes I'm cheating, buy screw you, Timesplitters is amazing). Because Timesplitters is the best game series ever made ever.

2) Spyro the Dragon for the PS1. Because it's just so got damn delightful.

3) Freespace 2. Best space-combat sim ever made. Concequently, it's $3 on GoG.com. Buy now, beat the rush!

4) Planescape: Torment. One of the best RPG's ever made. Most would say it's THE best RPG ever made. I wouldn't, because the combat is rather weak, but the story... holy SHIT the story. Oh look, it's also on GoG.com!

5)DOOM. The FPS that started it all(or, solidified it all at least). And still damn good. Which is really impressive for an 18 year old game that doesn't let you look up/down.

Honorable mentions go to Shadow of the Colossus, Pikmen, Katamari Damacy, Killer 7, and ONI.

My list:
1-3) Mass Effect Trilogy ( i know that the 3rd one isn't out yet, but people can wait)
4) Bioshock (the original)
5) Super Mario World
6) Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
7) Half Life
8) Portal
9) Fallout 3
10) Mega Man 2

In no particular order of importance:

1) Warcraft 3 - One of the best RTS games out there with an awesome story
2) Diablo 2 - The best dungeon crawler with an awesome story (in the background of the action, I know, but awesome nonetheless)
3) Half-Life 2 - One of the last FPS games untouched by consolitis
4) Heavy Rain - Just because the narrative impressed me so much
5) The Witcher 2 - The most mature game out there.

1. World of Goo (No one mentioned it so far? I am truly disappointed.)
2. Any Halo (maybe except for Halo Wars)
3. Portal (and Portal 2 too)
4. Minecraft (running out of ideas)
5. No clue. Starcraft?

CoD4: Because it's the definitive example of brilliant modern FPS's.

Minecraft: Because it's nigh-limitless, and responsible for one of the most fantastic success stories in history.

Infamous: Because it's one of the few games that did super powers right. Also, it has one of the greatest twist endings in recent memory.

Mass Effect: Because it was the start of one of gamings deepest and beloved franchises. And it has one of the greatest villains ever (you know who I'm talking about).

Half Life 2: Because it gave us a great story, an interesting universe, rock solid gameplay and the Source engine.

Not in any particular order:

Age of Empires 2
MineCraft
Overlord
Fable: The Lost Chapters
Evil Genius

What? That's 5 already?
Well, here's some more:

Dungeon Keeper 2
Nox
Half-Life 2
Tetris
GTA Vice City

Hero in a half shell:
What 5 games would you recommend for someone who has never played games and wants to get into them?

You think someone who's never played games before should be dropped straight into the likes of Doom and AoE2? That feels to me like teaching someone to read by giving them a copy of War and Peace. You've picked some good games, but let's start our hypothetical newb off with some simpler things. Remember, we just need to learn what the buttons do when we start a new game, they don't even know where each button is on the pad yet.

1) Super Mario Brothers
2) Peggle
3) Guitar Hero / Rock Band
4) Worms
5) Portal

Now, if you were asking which 5 games every experienced gamer should play, my list would be quite different. It'd have Disgaea in it, for a start.

Psychonauts - This very much. Or die. Just kiddin!^_^ ,..or am I? o_-
TLoZ: OoT
Portal(s)
Shadow of the Colossus
Fallout 3

1. Whatever
2. interests
3. you
4. the
5. most

There are no 5 definitive games because it depends on the person. I've introduced some people through Assassin's Creed, others through Portal and Bioshock. It's literally down to the individual.

'Must play' and 'good for a first impression' are 2 totally different things you know. There are several RTS' that I would definitely recommend to play - yet RTS' are a bit steep for the uninitiated.

Off the top of my head though:

Ocarina of Time
Super Mario Galaxy
Portal
Minecraft
Kingdom Hearts

1. Psychonauts- funny and very good at presenting it's side story's.
2. Elder Scrolls- great open world games.
3. Prince of Persia- probably the the best platformer I've played.
4. Zelda- I'm a fan boy.
5. Viewtiful Joe- my favorite game of last generation.

Team Fortress 2,
Crash Bandicoot 3,
Pokemon Blue,
Psi Ops,
and finally, Just Cause 2.

I think it's well rounded and hit some great games.

Museli:

Hero in a half shell:
What 5 games would you recommend for someone who has never played games and wants to get into them?

You think someone who's never played games before should be dropped straight into the likes of Doom and AoE2?

Well, the very first Doom game isn't so hard, and I was thinking more of the experience of 'this is the first ever 3D game' than it, and AOE2 was my first RTS, so if I as an 11 year old was able to get the hang of it then anybody can (The tutorial lasts for 6 or 7 levels - the whole William Wallace campaign), but I see your point, my choices were a bit advanced, I was trying to get a balance between accessible games and the best games out there.

Museli:

5) Portal

Ah, I missed that one, that's an excellent choice and I didn't even think of it, good call.

Oblivion
Legend of Zelda(doesnt matter which one)
Pokemon
CoD 4
Backyard Baseball

Grotch Willis:
My list:
1-3) Mass Effect Trilogy ( i know that the 3rd one isn't out yet, but people can wait)
4) Bioshock (the original)
5) Super Mario World
6) Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
7) Half Life
8) Portal
9) Fallout 3
10) Mega Man 2

EFF YEA! megaman 2 most deffintely!

OT: my list would be (no particular order)
1: Legend of Zelda: OoT (Fun ass platformer/adventure. yes i consider it part platformer)
2: StarCraft 1 (Very good RTS; torn between this Civ and Age of Empires)
3: At least 1 final fantasy (They are fun RPG's except 13)
4: CounterStrike (Fun FPS that can be a fun tactical experience with friends)
5: Megan Man 2 (Have to agree with ya, Classic rage inducing platformers FTW!)

Honorable mention for me to Fallout 2

delanofilms:
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Hell Yeahs, A Link to the Past is by far the best Zelda game, what a classic. Why do people insist on this Ocerina of Time game?

OT: People should definitly play every single game from the Half Life series (HL 1 and onwards, also including the Portal games), or anything from Valve for that matter. Silent Hill 2. Tomb Raider. Fallout 3. And the first Unreal Tournament (enough of this Halo nonsense).

EHKOS:
Team Fortress 2,
Crash Bandicoot 3,
Pokemon Blue,
Psi Ops,
and finally, Just Cause 2.

I think it's well rounded and hit some great games.

''God why didnt i think of the pokeymans or CB 3. soooo fun when i was a kid. JC2 is a great one too.

OoT
Half Life 1 & 2
Team Fortress 2
CoD 4
All Halos except Wars

That's my list anyway.

scnj:
1. Whatever
2. interests
3. you
4. the
5. most

There are no 5 definitive games because it depends on the person. I've introduced some people through Assassin's Creed, others through Portal and Bioshock. It's literally down to the individual.

QFT.

I think to get anyone interested in anything you have to personalize.

I play/GM table top RPGs...and I'm pretty good, if I do say so myself. But if I'm going to introduce a newbie to gaming, I'm not going to run whatever game I like best on them, I'm going to take into account their preexisting interests and likes to best maximize the chances I'll hook them into gaming. So if they love scifi, I'm not going to bust about a fantasy campaign. If their favorite TV show is Deadwood, maybe I'll run them through a Western.

Same thing with comic books, films, TV shows, and computer games.

My dad isn't really the video game type. But if I were going to try to get him interested, I'd probably try:
Brothers In Arms
The Godfather
Red Dead Redemption/Gun/some Western

My mom was always interested in video games. If I wanted to get her interested in modern video games that would be easy.
She mentioned being interested in Tomb Raider...so that would be one for her.
Mass Effect (all of them)
Deus Ex
Morrowind
Silent Hill 2

Tailor to your audience.

Not all my faves but the ones I feel most suited to the subject

1.Half life (The Citizen Kane of Videogames)
2.Silent hill 2 (All of you know this should bee here)
3.Mario Bros (The diffinitive Classic)
4.FF7 (Obviously)
5.Beyond good and evil (the toy story of games)

1. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
2. Half Life 2
3. Final Fantasy VII
4. Silent Hill 2
5. Metal Gear Solid 4 (Well any MGS except 2)

One of the Halos, particularily one with multiplayer.

Either Half Life game.

Either one of the Portals.

A Rockstar Game, most notably (in my opinion) Red Dead:Redemption.

Katamari Damacy.

Warcraft 3
World of Warcraft
Pokemon R/B/Y
Mass Effect 1
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1-4

1. Starcraft
2. Super Mario Bros
3. Final fantasy 6
4. Silent hill 2
5. Heroes of Might and Magic III

Suikoden 2
Grandia
Final Fantasy VII
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time
Xenogears

Yeah, i'm a biased RPG gamer.

1. Psychonauts
2. Saints Row 2
3. Rainbow Six Vegas 2
4. Bioshock
5. Fable: The Lost Chapters

Totally disagree with OP list. Didn't like Mass efect, I'm Cod fan but I don't think it got anything that "wow" to deserve to be mentioned. And if I mentioned a Cod, would be cod2, not 4.

My List:

-Zelda Oot
-Super Mario 64 or Galaxy
-Portal
-Super Mario Bros
-007 Goldeneye

(Pretty much as phlakes said, top N64 games).

1. Doom (or Doom 2)
2. Half-Life
3. Super Mario World
4. Final Fantasy VII
5. Grand Theft Auto (any)

I think you (the OP)should swap out Age of Empires for a Civilization game.

1. Super Mario Brothers

2. The Secret Of Monkey Island

3. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time

4. Persona 4

5. Bioshock

It completely depends on the person, I can think of no game that I would recommend to everyone I know.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked