Best PC game without a mouse?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Recommend some good PC games with no mouse control. Ideally, list games where a working mouse is not needed, but you can also tell me about games where it's possible to play without using the mouse.

Once again I can name one of my favorite games that only a few people knows about.
X2: the threat (and all other X games aswell), a space game.
I play it on a mini notebook (mousepad bad for gaming). Almost all the X games plays best without mouse.

I think the DOOM franchise PRE-Doom 3 would count, they were made at a time when a mouse wasn't really used without a GUI for your OS (DOS was still the main OS and Win95 hadn't really come out). Followed by Wolfenstien 3D, Commander Keen, Blake Stone (again, keyboard-only, mouse not required).

Dwarf fortress is really good for playing without mouse...the only problem is to get into the game itself. :p

Do you mean no mouse at all, as in no cursor, or are we allowed to suggest games that can be played easily with a mouse substitute such as a touch-pad or nipple (yes that's a real term!)?

If it's the former you're pretty much stuck with flash games, some racing games might be possible too. If you can get some form of cursor control then flight sims become possible and RTSs can easily be played with a touch-pad or ball mouse. You'll never be the very fastest at an RTS without using a good mouse, but you should be able to get good enough to beat the computer or friends & family members.

Running emulators of old consol titles might also be possible, though bear in mind that depending on the game and your country this may not be legal.

GroundWalker:
Dwarf fortress is really good for playing without mouse...the only problem is to get into the game itself. :p

And another vote for DF.

Ive been trying to get 'Hype: The time quest' working latley, but ive had no luck. Its one of my nostalgia games from years ago and it didnt use a mouse if I remember correctly. Dont think ill get a chance to play it again seeing as I cant seem to even get the setup to run.

No mouse? Dwarf fortress.

Chamale:
Recommend some good PC games with no mouse control. Ideally, list games where a working mouse is not needed, but you can also tell me about games where it's possible to play without using the mouse.

USB Gamepad:
Trackmania Nations Forever (most racing games really)
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Witcher 2

Keyboard only:
Braid
Street Fighter 4 (true for most fighters)
Classic Grand Theft Auto (GTA1&2)
Classic Tomb Raider
Silent Hill 2 + 3

NOT Doom, the game really goes play better with mouse controls if you have the right mouse-look mods.

Eh, I grew up (literally) using Arrow Keys to move and Alt/Ctrl to fire, back under DOS 5 & 6.

Grim Fandango, one of the classic LucasArts adventures. It was entirely keyboard-controlled. You might have trouble getting it to run on a modern system (one of the puzzles runs too fast on current hardware, I seem to remember), but there are ways around that.

Dwarf Fortress & Nethack are two free ones, but they are based on ascii unless you get a tileset for either. Both good though.

Super Meat Boy doesn't need a mouse, but it will kill you unless you have a controller, I wouldn't play that with a keyboard.

Most DOS games will be without a mouse as well.

Any considering you can map mouse controls to a gamepad via 3rd party programs like Xpad.

Jamestown, on Steam, is a bullet-hell shooter that's pretty fun (it eases you into the real "bullet hell" stuff, and you can avoid a lot of dodging if you take the enemies out first)

It actually allows a two-person game with the keyboard, and the mouse. Or just one person with the keyboard.

I think Civilization can also be played this way, though I'm not sure I can guarantee it.

I'd say Need for Speed II, Nostalgia makes it more enjoyable than the newer ones. I just played it so much that its the best racing game I can think of, beaten maybe only by F-Zero X on the N64.

mfG diebane

Okay, my weabooness is about to shine here, but it's only because pretty much all of my other ideas have already been taken.

Touhou is a fun series of bullet hell top-down shooter games, if you want something needlessly hardcore.

Recettear is a fun RPG from the perspective of the shopkeeper. It's better than it sounds, honestly.

Recettear is entirely keyboard and a lot of fun.

You could also try Proun if you want something quick, simple and pay-what-you-want

Number Munchers?

Why don't you want to play with a mouse lol? Laptop gaming or something?

GroundWalker:

make that... carry the two... five votes for DF

VVVVVV doesn't require a mouse.

RADlTZ:
Ive been trying to get 'Hype: The time quest' working latley, but ive had no luck. Its one of my nostalgia games from years ago and it didnt use a mouse if I remember correctly. Dont think ill get a chance to play it again seeing as I cant seem to even get the setup to run.

I just finished it recently, I feel for you not being able to play it.

OT: The Crusader games. Awesome isometric action, as well as some nice keyboard controls.

A lot of those early 1990s and late 1980s games are really good and lack mouse control.

Resident Evil 4 for PC.

First RE game I've played, but I was hooked on the RE universe before that.
PC version is ported from console and I must say that Capcom did a gigantic shitty job at it.

As you have guessed already, no mouse support, so aiming with arrow keys. Also, during QTE weird numbered buttons show up, which does not make sense using a keyboard. So you have to memorize them.
Last but not least, horrific graphics. I thank the gods I found a 1,46 GB mod from a guy who redid every single texture in the game.

And it turned out to be a great game after all, when you get used to it.

MiG-29:Fulcrum by NovaLogic.There is nothing better.

Pretty much any Rogue-like or racing game...

But what I had in mind was Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale.

The game is fully based around the keyboard. Same with VVVVVV, and any SHMUP. If only they had Ikaruga for PC...

But any DOS Game especially usually has a way to not use a mouse, or use minimal mouse input. Try Tyrian 2000.

Pretty sure all my suggestions have been said, so I'll just repeat Super Meat Boy and Recettear.
That's about it from me.

Tales Runner is pretty excellent.
I think its a game that everyone needs to play.

Chamale:

Ruse
its designed for a touchscreen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-oArux66gA
if you don't have one however you have to use a mouse/keyboard

direkiller:

Chamale:

Ruse
its designed for a touchscreen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-oArux66gA
if you don't have one however you have to use a mouse/keyboard

If he doesn't have a mouse, I don't think he'll be specced for RUSE.

The_root_of_all_evil:

GroundWalker:

And another vote for DF.

DazZ.:
Dwarf Fortress & Nethack are two free ones, but they are based on ascii unless you get a tileset for either. Both good though.

Super Meat Boy doesn't need a mouse, but it will kill you unless you have a controller, I wouldn't play that with a keyboard.

Most DOS games will be without a mouse as well.

steeple:

GroundWalker:

make that... carry the two... five votes for DF

Make that six votes and one berkserk baby dwarf for Dwarf Fortress.

Age of Empires series, real time strategy can played with a touchpad. I play AOE II on my mac touchpad with less convenience than a mouse, but with no less ability.

Valiance:
Pretty much any Rogue-like or racing game...

Yes! Think of this as a golden opportunity to find out what side of the fence you fall on: Angband or NetHack!

I am an Angband girl all the way, incidentally.

F1 2000 is awesome

newer ones may be slightly better

GRID and the Dirt series are good choices.

Super Meat Boy is an awesome game.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked