The Sims 3 berates you for having a child out of 'wedlock' Yes they use that word...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Bloody hell, talk about an overreaction. It's just a game, don't like it then don't do it.

Besides, I hope you guys realize that some of the development team just MIGHT be single parents themselves or children of single parents as well? They're not all nuclear family raised demons out to get you. If none of them disapproved, then why is it such a big deal?

Also, big bad evil EA did not make the game. Yes, they have the money and tech for it to be produced. But they did not make the game, the development team did.

How about instead of reading social commentary in every bloody thing you just sit back and enjoy playing the game.

TheDarkestDerp:
It's pretty damn ridiculous, personally. But seeing as how marriage... eheh... is between "a man and a woman" ...I suppose this game fits in with the average patriarcho-bullshit ideals the modern society wants. What a crock...

Except the Sims lets you marry same-sex. Sooo...

That's pretty fucking stupid, it doesn't make a difference if the parents are married or not.

Well I guess it's appropriate, since society does that.

I find it hilarious that EA and Maxis went there. Very funny.

DeadlyYellow:
It's so hard to keep people straight. All I see is Bieber.

you too?
O.T. Am I the only one that is not bothered by this at all? I mean all it is is a game and plus sims aren't exactly the smartest masses(in my opinion)

seems legit to me. most people seem to look down on people having children out of wedlock or out of a serious relationship so why not put that in the game.

also if you dont like being shuned by simciety then you should have put a ring on it, if you disliked it then you should have put a ring on it

Bastard children (and those who create them) are still looked negativley upon by society.

Don't like it?

That isn't going to stop them from their negativity.

Listen to Tyrion the Imp, wear the name like armor, so that it can't hurt you!

Wait, am I in the wrong thread?

Makes sense to me. Even though it's relatively commonplace, having a kid when you're not married is still considered inappropriate.

Belgian_Waffles:
I think it's hilarious to be honest.
Touche EA, Touche.

tjs09:

Keava:
And you really think it's much different in Real Life? You think the women with child that do not have a husband are treated as"equal" by local societies? No sir. Sorry. They are very often seen as sluts. "Girl slept around with random guys so no wonder that she now has a kiddo" - that's the most common thing.

Should it be in a game like Sims? I'm not sure, maybe they actually wanted to draw attention to that problem that is more common than you think?

This

Also, I never understood why people felt the need to go into a frensy at the slightest sight of something in a game that even has the potential to offend someone, somewhere.

People are way too sensitive. So Sims 3 made a commentary on single mothers. Deal with it.

basically this. i actually laughed out loud when i saw what it was.

if a game stuck something like that against white males in there i would probably find it hilarious if anything

i swear anytime anything like this happens people get into the hugest rage fits over nothing -_-

its just a game people...move along

Actually I think it's just a joke being played straight

I guess I'm the only one who thinks having a child outside of marriage is shameful. To me, yes I think it is irresponsible to have a child when you're not married. When a couple is still in the girlfriend/boyfriend stage, it's pretty easy to break off the relationship at that point and having a kid when you're not even sure you're going to stay together is wrong.
I know the divorce rate is pretty high at this point, but marriage still represents a promise that you're both very serious about making the relationship work, and as a result, the 18+ year investment that is a child becomes feasible.
I mean honestly people, take ONE guess as to why the number of single mothers living on welfare is higher today than it's ever been. It's because marriage is such a stupid, outdated institution apparently. It's because if it feels good, do it.

Like it or not, if having kids outside of wedlock WAS viewed with a bit more shame, like it was way back when in the ancient days of the 1950's, the kinds of problems we have now would not be nearly so severe.

Macrobstar:

paynexkiller:
You think that's bad? This is a picture of MY Baby.

GAH! FUCK!
Kill it with fire!

holy piss, i was reading your comment right when i opened the picture and that is exactly what came to mind.

fucking crazy grown up chuckie doll looking thing.

I don't see what the big fuss is. It's a game? And if thats your biggest problem well yeah.

xXxJessicaxXx:

manaman:
In much the same way you made this thread with the exact intent of whipping people into a frenzy over something that really doesn't matter.

Woah Woah Woah

I'm sorry if I have an opinion about somthing and want to ask the gaming community at large about it. I think the reason I reacted the way I did to this message was the fact that my sister had a kid out of marriage and the game was basically insulting her. I really didn't think the celebrity part was relevant when I wrote the OP but I added it later in case people thought it was. (as it was pointed out to me)

You'll notice in my OP that I said 'how do you feel about this' I meant that, I wanted to know if people found it offensive, sarcastic or otherwise. Not to cause controversy.

I think that's really low for you to accuse me of that tbh.

Oh and just as an aside being a celebrity is actually kind of hard to avoid in the game when your Sim makes friends or does well in thier career, It's not an optional thing it just goes along with everything else.

Really low? Not really. At worst it's an honest mistake. How else could I see it when you leave out crucial details surrounding an issue, and simply brush them off as irreverent when they conflict with your preconceived bias, and plaster that bias all over your post before asking people to politely comment about how horrible it is?

What about 'The absent partner is a miserable shmuck with issues that would harm the child or the (now) single parent'? Family does not just refer to mom and pop, in truth the nuclear family is a relatively recent development. Family should refer to everyone in that child's life- grandparents, aunts, uncles, close family friends. If they're present and supportive, looking out for the well-being of the child, then why should there be any shame in it?

I find the position of "It's tradition, that makes it okay!" rather less than sensible.

Oh noes, The Sims hurt mah feelingz!

Lighten up people, it's just a game. A game with the Grim Reaper, ghosts, people with red/green/purple skin, etc. If you take any of it seriously enough to be offended then I think you... probably deserve to be offended by what I really want to say.

Best way to play the Sims 3 is as a wandering home-wrecker anyway :P

tjs09:

Keava:
And you really think it's much different in Real Life? You think the women with child that do not have a husband are treated as"equal" by local societies? No sir. Sorry. They are very often seen as sluts. "Girl slept around with random guys so no wonder that she now has a kiddo" - that's the most common thing.

Should it be in a game like Sims? I'm not sure, maybe they actually wanted to draw attention to that problem that is more common than you think?

This

Also, I never understood why people felt the need to go into a frensy at the slightest sight of something in a game that even has the potential to offend someone, somewhere.

People are way too sensitive. So Sims 3 made a commentary on single mothers. Deal with it.

This. I don't have much to add, since these were pretty much my exact thoughts. I think a lot of people go out of the way to find things offensive.

About as annoying as all things religion related.

Griffolion:
That's just ridiculous.

Is there another public disgracing for having a relationship with a black person?

Dear EA, were passed all that crap, grow up. Sincerely, world.

Yeah, those two things aren't the same. Like, at all.

You should kind of feel ashamed for comparing those two things. I feel embarrassed for having read it.

Choosing to establish definitive legal fatherhood and maintain financial accountability for the father, having a child when planned, and forming a family before bringing a child into it are good things. Those are good choices.

Having a child just because a sperm won the swim meet, leaving an "out" for the father so that he can run off with little to no legal repercussions, and bringing a child into a household with little to no stability are bad things. Those are bad choices.

The fact that you would compare this assertion to some sort of outdated concept of "race" and "mixing" is pretty reprehensible.

It's just a game, no need to be angry.

Many people do, in fact, look down on out of wedlock pregnancies. I never thought this would be so shocking to people.

I usually dont post on these forums. Speaking as a child out of wedlock....

Holy fucking shit. This is the worst thing ive ever heard of in gaming. I hate the Sims games

zarguhl:

b3nn3tt:

What shame is there in raising a child as a single parent? And what 'bad reasons' do people have for not getting married? Because in my experience, I've never come across any untoward reasons for people not anting to marry.

If they are a single parent for a reason like their partner died, there's no shame. But if they knowingly decide to do so it's just irresponsible and if you look into the persons history you'll always find a track record of cheating, one night-stands, etc.

One of the common reasons for not wanting to marry that I've heard is "not wanting the responsibility of marriage," yet still having kids. Which does well to show just where that person is at.

There is a very strong effort to destroy the family going on these days, as the family is the last group that has any real strength left in it now that religious groups have mostly been destroyed.

Once families are fully destroyed society will be totally screwed and civilization will end with a whimper.

...And where do you find evidence of this? While the family is important, it is not the end-all. What is more important is a loving support system.
And where do find the evidence of a strong effort to destroy the family?

Grospoliner:
Wow. I'm actually surprised at this. This is exactly the kind of thing that media outlets love to hype and yet no one has mentioned this before?

Except most media supports the "Marriage first" view point, which is why this has stayed quiet.

Goddammit. It looks or seems like games are still stuck in the 90s. Sexual content in games is either controversial or giggled at, difficult themes are met with stoneface, and today having a child outside of "wedlock." Jesus Christ, when are games not going to be viewed by some as children's toys.

It kinda makes sense though, when a female has a child without a steady guy, society tends to look down on them. They have to be strong enough to not give a shit and ignore them.

DoctorPhil:
Does society really feel that way? Marriage is fucking pointless when it's not harmful.

I'm sorry but that statement is HILARIOUS when paired with your username. ^-^

xXxJessicaxXx:
She hasn't even slept with anyone else (poor gal lol)

You had me on your side right up until you made that joke.

It's not that I'm offended or disagree with you (wedlock is an outdated social construct used to buy and trade women). Not at all. Rather, your joke made me realize that people view things differently; having sex with half the town - bad in some eyes; having a baby out of wedlock - bad in some eyes; being a virgin - bad in some eyes.

I guess I'm trying to say: don't expect a game to align with your ethics just because they're yours.

Rather funny, haha. A little over the top though. I don't think that in today's society having a child out of wedlock is as bad as it used to be. Some people just don't get married in the first place. I know in the case of my parents, I was about 13 months old when they got married. But it wasn't that bad because they had been together for almost 5 years at that point. Now, they're still happily married.

xXxJessicaxXx:
Snip

My male character got it and he has another 2 people in his house. To be completely fair I think that people would go stupid over it if (Insert massive famous celebrity here) had a baby without getting married.

xXxJessicaxXx:
I can understand if not many people on this site care about the Sims 3 or what goes on in relation to it but I would just like to draw your attention to this;

Your female sim is the only one who recieves the 'shame' for this 'heinous act' Also note the term 'bad actions' and 'innapropriate behaiviour' :|...

Personally it made my blood boil. There is absolutely no shame in having children out of wedlock these days and many couple choose to remain unmarried because of cost and also religious (or lack of) beliefs.

So despite your feelings on the Sims 3 what do you make of this??

(If this should be in off topic then please move I was unsure where to put it)

Edit: I'd just like to point out that my sim is a celebrity and this is why this message appeared, It's still not justified though...

Edit 2: Maxis did not make The Sims 3...look it up >_>

Edit: Update: My friend who also plays reports that the man also gets the debuff but only if he's the only one in the household. :/ I still think it's a little off that in my household only the lady got it. But at least we don't have sexism to add to the madness. Just thought I would add that for clarity.

Well, your projecting your own views onto society as a whole and trying to speak for "people in general". To be honest, single parents, especially single mothers DO run into some problems and stigmas. You might not like it, but that's the world we live in, and The Sims is simply being accurate about the reaction.

I haven't done much with The Sims (have trouble running it for some strange reason) but as I understand things various Sims have differant personality traits assigned to them, and some, like you, are going to be more understanding than the default reaction.

Feel free to disagree with society, and the whole "family values" platform, but I don't think it's wrong to say that The Sims is out of line in how it presents things.

Heck, consider that unwed mothers are a common "freak of the week" for TV talk shows and the like for a reason. While it's died down a bit, one of the big gimmicks for various shows was to get single mothers on and play "whose the Baby's daddy" with all the guys she slept with and DNA paternity tests, or simply to find out of her boyfriend is actually the one who fathered the child (with several possible reasons for the test being done). Call it lowbrow, and feel free to criticize society, but people watch this stuff because of exactly that kind of pariah factor.

That said, since this "life sim" includes mechanics for developing immortality fruits, becoming a vampire, mastering martial arts, and then fighting mummies... not to mention "Super Villain" being a viable career goal, I don't think the game's social commentary can be taken paticularly seriously. :P

I might have to get the Sims 3 now. Just to make the uber conservatives mad at the numerous children I have out of wedlock!

Owyn_Merrilin:

b3nn3tt:

Owyn_Merrilin:

-snip-

-snip-

I see what you're saying, but you hit the tip of the issue with that thing about deciding how long they have to live together; not only do you have to decide that, but you have to be able to prove it, and there's all sorts of other issues -- for example, when you decide to split up after a commonlaw marriage, how do you divide the property? Standard marriage contracts have provisions for this, and the pre-nup is an additional contract that allows for more equitable provisions, but it's got to be difficult to do this with a commonlaw marriage. Add this to the fact that you would have to prove co-habitation, and the fact that you wouldn't have the rights of a marriage for all the years that you were trying to prove it, and a simple marriage contract starts to look a lot better.

All very true. I suppose the only way to really do it would be with a contract, and in that case you may as well just get married.

I still don't think it's right for the Sims to shame you for not being married though! Just to bring this back to the topic.

It only happens to celebrities, I think...
And really, it's not that bad.
When a pretty, single little starlet suddenly pops out a kid, doesn't the media whip itself into a frenzy?

Don't get your panties in a bunch.

zarguhl:

xXxJessicaxXx:

Personally it made my blood boil. There is absolutely no shame in having children out of wedlock these days and many couple choose to remain unmarried because of cost and also religious (or lack of) beliefs.

I like it. There is shame in intentionally having kids as a single parent and couples who choose to remain unmarried in my experience have only bad reasons for doing so.

Nice to see a piece of modern media actually shoving that in peoples faces a bit.

SO people are not allowed to be in a type relationships they want to be in? I know plenty of couples that are together un-married and have child, funny thing is that their relationship seems to be healthier than people who are married. You know, they trust each other with needing legal contracts, I see nothing wrong with that.
Also are you against parents who have a child because they broke up? Or against mothers who give birth after they have broken up or became widowed, you saying these people HAVE to get married - because they have a child.

Please sit/ma'am, open your eyes and see that only thing that matters in this world is everyones personal happiness, if being out of unmarried and having a family makes the family happy - you have no right to say anything to them.

Showing you beliefs to someone is wrong, everyone has the right (according to UN) to live with freedom of opinion/belief and right to live as they see fit.

Sober Thal:
It's just a game, no need to be angry.

Many people do, in fact, look down on out of wedlock pregnancies. I never thought this would be so shocking to people.

This.

If anything I'm impressed that the game had the feature.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked