50% (729)
Square Enix
10.9% (159)
10.9% (159)
Bethesda
38.5% (561)
38.5% (561)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Who Do You Think is Best RPGs Between Bioware, Square Enix, and Bethesda?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 15 NEXT

Pretty simple which one of these companies do you think makes the best RPGs in your opinion?

Mass Effect... Oblivion.... Mass Effect 2...Skyrim....

There is no answer.

Ol' Bethy gets my vote. RPG is what they do, all they do, and they do it damn well.

Errrr...Obsidian.

I've never played a Square Enix RPG or a Bioware RPG.

And Bethesda "RPGs" barely have any choice in them, at least the last two really dropped the ball, and I'm still on the fence about Skyrim.

Since I hate Mass Effect and Final Fantasy. Bethesda. I adored Morrowind, Oblivion and I'll love Skyrim.

Square Enix makes JRPG's. I do not like JRPG's. For me it's a toss-up between the remaining two. But I'll pick Bioware because Mass Effect was one of the best games I'd ever played.

Though BioWare is quite awesome, I'm going to give my vote to Bethesda. It's simply a matter of personal taste. Square Enix doesn't even come close to BioBeth. BethBio? BioEsda? BethWare?

It's between Bioware and Bethesda. I prefer Bioware's character creation and they have great characters and dialogue (although at the same time some's just terrible), but Bethesda has damn well developed open worlds (and there are some pretty great characters in Fallout 3 as well). Damn... Tough one...

HusaneFatal:
Pretty simple which one of these companies do you think makes the best RPGs in your opinion?

I'm torn between Square and Bioware. Both so good. So very, very good.

Bethesda's never really done it for me. **shrug**

If I had to put another company up there, it would be Atlus.

Bioware makes a great story. Bethesda makes a great world to explore. Since RPG for me is dicking about and finding out what kind of character I am playing through what I choose, Bethesda gets it from me.

ChupathingyX:
Errrr...Obsidian.

And Bethesda "RPGs" barely have any choice in them, at least the last two really dropped the ball, and I'm still on the fence about Skyrim.

You've clearly never played Obsidian, Morrowind, Fallout 3, or Fallout: New Vegas. All of those have TONS of choice in them. You can even chose if you just want to massacre everybody or be the nicest little goody-two-shoes, and pretty much everywhere in between.

Bioware. All three companies make the same game over and over again, and I like Bioware's one game the most.

DrPhilly:
Fallout: New Vegas.

This is the only one of those that I think has any genuine choice (and for the record I love Morrowind) and it's an Obsidian game.

Origin Systems. You know, the company that all three of these groups have been copying?

You really shouldnt include Square in this since They Do JRPG maby put Obsidien instead?

OT: My vote is for Bethsteda

Personally, I think they focus on different aspects of RPGs and are fairly hard to compare as a result. Different types of games and gameplay appeal to different people, and saying which style is "best" seems like a fairly narrow minded way of looking at it. I personally tend to not play Square Enix games as much and only relatively recently got into Bioware games. This doesn't mean that Square Enix games are bad, they just don't appeal to me as much as the other two do.

Nippon Ichi. Disgaea, La Pucelle, Rhapsody... awesome games.

And if strategy RPGs are declared to not count as RPGs by the standards of this survey, Game Arts for Grandia and Lunar.

Of the three presented by the OP, I'd have to go with Bioware, but mostly because I'm quite disgusted with what Squeenix has done lately.

DrPhilly:
You've clearly never played Obsidian, Morrowind, Fallout 3, or Fallout: New Vegas. All of those have TONS of choice in them. You can even chose if you just want to massacre everybody or be the nicest little goody-two-shoes, and pretty much everywhere in between.

And you obviously have no idea that Obsidian made New Vegas, not Bethesda.

And no, Fallout 3 and Oblivion barely had any choice, especially Oblivion which forced you to be Martin's little errand boy for the main quest and you could join every single guild without conflicting problems (something Morrowind did well) and you couldn't even properly define your character through dialogue. Plus because of the way the levelling works you can become a mage/warrior and thief with enough grind.

Fallout 3 also didn't give you enough choice in the main quest, and whenever that game did give you choice it almost always boiled down to black/white morality. Then of course there's the fact that the Lone Wanderer in F3 has way too much backstory, most of which you can't even change; why can't I join the Tunnel Snakes, why can't I hate my Dad and have him hate me back, why does Amata have to be my love interest? Plus there is just way too much information given to you that it didn't even feel like I was creating my own role.

oh god i really dont know.
well bioware for me has been loosing some steam lately. and i didn't really like ff14..
skyrim looks promising so i think that might just be enough to sway me towards the bethesda side of things...

but then again, deus ex...

captcha: tinglia briefly

Squeenix is on my Shit List since they created FF12 (Please Versus XIII, prove me wrong!) and Bioware is starting to slow down a little bit and learn bad habits (Such as the constant pushbacks, but I will defend that by saying they are hard working people and they stand up for quality gaming; bless them). Right now I am most excited for Skyrim, a Bethesda product, so I will have to vote Bethesda. Sorry Bioware, I still love your games above most other games, but Skyrim takes the gold this year and im measuring whats to come, not what has come (Otherwise it would be a 50/50 and I would be stuck here for a few hours thinking it over).

HusaneFatal:

Bathesda. way bathesda. not even a contest bathesda. Morrowind, oblivion, skyrim. Hell, bioware is barely even making RPGs anymore tbh. Dragon Age 2 is almost not an RPG, it's a straight action game, and Mass Effect 2 is worse by leagues. good games, but not good RPGs.

Bioware most definitely. I don't care about what hasn't gone as planned lately, such as DA2 and the paddling it's gotten from just about everyone, but they've made some of the best games I've ever played (KotOR, Jade Empire, DA:O, Mass Effect 1 and 2) and I adore their characters. The only series out of Square Enix that I've enjoyed was Kingdom Hearts, and I've never been able to get into Bethesda's games much (Tried Oblivion once, didn't like it) so based on who's games have impressed me the most, Bioware for the win. Personal opinion obviously.

And I think between Bioware and Bethesda, it all depends on what you want out of an RPG. Bioware goes more the route of a strong (if a bit linear) story and good character interactions with side quests being there if you so wish to pursue them. Bethesda goes for the open world style of gameplay, but I like that better in a sandbox like Prototype or something. I generally prefer story over open world, which is why Bioware is my choice. As for Square Enix, I don't really know enough about them to know their style. Yeah, I've played Kingdom Hearts, but that's really the tip of the iceberg for Square.

Bioware is my dudes. (and ladies)

I can see why someone would prefer Bethesda, but personally the engrossing story and characters are the defining part of great games, and Bethesda usually lacks them entirely or is just fairly weak in them. Excellent world building, but I need me my intriguing party members.

Squeenix though.. I dunno. Never been a huge fan of their stuff.

Huh, tough choice...

Currently, I'd say Bioware - I never really got immersed into the Elder Scrolls games, and the less said about the new Final Fantasys, the better

Of all time, it's hard to go past the old Square games for reliable, entertaining RPG's (I still voted for Bioware, though - Prove me wrong Square!)

ChupathingyX:
Errrr...Obsidian.

If you think you have no choice in TES games, then you have no imagination.
You can be a warrior, mage, rogue...or not. You can be any combination of whatever. You can climb the ranks of the mages guild, or become a skilled assassin. You can save the world...or not.
TES games give you alot of choice. In say, Mass Effect, you're saving the universe as a limited class.

ChupathingyX:
Errrr...Obsidian.

+1. Obsidian beats all of those choices. Although I'm not sure which is worse, Dungeon Siege 3 or Dragon Age 2...

Saelune:
Snip

Yeah I'm just going to copy and paste what I said 7 posts earlier...

Fallout 3 and Oblivion barely had any choice, especially Oblivion which forced you to be Martin's little errand boy for the main quest and you could join every single guild without conflicting problems (something Morrowind did well) and you couldn't even properly define your character through dialogue. Plus because of the way the levelling works you can become a mage/warrior and thief with enough grind.

Fallout 3 also didn't give you enough choice in the main quest, and whenever that game did give you choice it almost always boiled down to black/white morality. Then of course there's the fact that the Lone Wanderer in F3 has way too much backstory, most of which you can't even change; why can't I join the Tunnel Snakes, why can't I hate my Dad and have him hate me back, why does Amata have to be my love interest? Plus there is just way too much information given to you that it didn't even feel like I was creating my own role.

I just love Morrowind too much to not answer Bethesda. Oblivion and Fallout 3 just get them a few bonus points.

The Mass Effect games, Dragon Age: Origins, KOTOR, and Jade Empire are great games... but Morrowind, that's just special.

I've played about 45 mins of FFVII via the PSN store and that's it for my experience with Square Enix. I haven't given it enough of a chance yet, I realise, but I don't like those kinds of combat systems. I really want to try out the (what I believe to be) more friendly FFX, but until it's somehow available on PS3 that won't happen.

I have to go for Bioware.

I like them all but Square Enix have really been in a low for a time. And Bioware vs Bethesda well I like story more then open world.

You know until seeing all the videos not so long ago my vote would easily be Bioware/obsidian, my fave rpg's being the Kotor series and the NWN series, that was until I saw skyrim cause I swear to cthulu below if that game lives up to the videos and the hype I would sell peoples first born children to get it just a week early.

ChupathingyX:

Saelune:
Snip

Yeah I'm just going to copy and paste what I said 7 posts earlier...

Fallout 3 and Oblivion barely had any choice, especially Oblivion which forced you to be Martin's little errand boy for the main quest and you could join every single guild without conflicting problems (something Morrowind did well) and you couldn't even properly define your character through dialogue. Plus because of the way the levelling works you can become a mage/warrior and thief with enough grind.

Well, they did not go the direction I was hoping since Morrowind, but even Oblivion doesnt really make the story so mandatory. You can play forever without doing the story. Bioware games dont do that. You can meander around awhile, but eventually you go down the path of the plot.
But in a TES game I can just go around looting and pillaging if I want. Sure, choice has been reduced since Morrowind (something that irks me) but its still more than others. And to say it has no choice is just exaggeration even if you think it is limited. And I am talking more about Bethesda's own TES than the adopteded Fallout series.

Saelune:

ChupathingyX:
Errrr...Obsidian.

If you think you have no choice in TES games, then you have no imagination.
You can be a warrior, mage, rogue...or not. You can be any combination of whatever. You can climb the ranks of the mages guild, or become a skilled assassin. You can save the world...or not.
TES games give you alot of choice. In say, Mass Effect, you're saving the universe as a limited class.

Obsidian didn't make Mass Effect. And those "choices" are available in most RPGs. Creating a unique character with specific motives, skills, and a backstory is all well and good, but the game world doesn't actually change because you do this.

He's talking about choice in the way that the game/story actually progresses. Examples of true game-altering choices to be made can be found in games like Alpha Protocol or The Witcher.

i played fallout new vegas for five minutes, cus i wasnt on my own xbox and i didnt like the character models or the karma system especially since i was losing karma for stealing the shopkeepers stuff and no one could see me, i did think that character stat customization was better than biowares rpgs by far but the gameplay of mass effect and dragon age were in my opinion better and everything looked better in all their games ive played, as for square enix havent played any of their new games

I don't like squeenix's games at all, but its a absolute tie between bethesda and bioware

I'm saying Squeenix because I'm enjoying Drakenguard way too much right now to vote for anything else.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 15 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked