Dick Moves in Gaming

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Already been said but fallout 3 pissed me off.
It's a sandbox, explore for the sake of exploring kind a game and you can't play past the end of the main quest even if you survive it? And you for some reason have to go in yourself or seen Lyons in even tho there are companions who are completely immune to radiation. Granted it seems they realised this and created broken steal to fix it so I don't have to leave that quest unfinished (which annoys the hell out of me).

the lack of SWTOR pre-ordering for Australia
EPIC DICK MOVE!

Petty complaint, but Auto Saves in the Halo franchise. Blast through a pair of hunters, knock over some heavy vehicles, and get detonated by an errant grunt - suddenly back a half hour earlier.
Then (not so petty complaint) the auto-save feature in Dead Space: Extraction - hour+ levels, and if you die once you go back half an hour or more.

For me it's the beginning of Fallout 2. Absolutely no warning that you won't be given a gun at the beginning, so if you haven't made a melee or fist fighting character, the first parts of the game will be excrutiatingly frustrating.

Shanicus:
Petty complaint, but Auto Saves in the Halo franchise. Blast through a pair of hunters, knock over some heavy vehicles, and get detonated by an errant grunt - suddenly back a half hour earlier.

Just one more reason I love Halo 2 and no others. Halo 2 had a very forgiving checkpoint system, meaning you could risk those over-the-top stunts and only get knocked back a couple minutes at most.

Not 100% sure on this, but it seemed like if you managed to stay out of fire for about 5-10 secs it autosaved, so you would have mid fight checkpoints. Very handy for those extended firefights.

Almost every level in Demon's Souls.

Solomon's keep for iphone. You play as a weak mage, and sometimes the developer will lock your character in a room full of baddies that will ass rape you unless you teleport out and in over again. Are they encouraging exploitation of the game or what?

BrotherSurplice:
For me it's the beginning of Fallout 2. Absolutely no warning that you won't be given a gun at the beginning, so if you haven't made a melee or fist fighting character, the first parts of the game will be excrutiatingly frustrating.

If you have 9-10 agility (which you should, if you are playing Fallout 2, especially as a gun character), then you have enough AP to punch once then run outside of the radscorpion and ant's ranges. It might take a while, but you can effectively kite every enemy in the Temple of Trials this way.

Now, if you have middling intelligence, getting past the guard at the end is a bit trickier, but hey. Thats what save scumming is for.

Killing Floor's specimen spawn spots. Specimen spawn where you aren't looking, even if that spot is literally right on your ass, or around the next corner.

Ordinaryundone:

BrotherSurplice:

If you have 9-10 agility (which you should, if you are playing Fallout 2, especially as a gun character), then you have enough AP to punch once then run outside of the radscorpion and ant's ranges. It might take a while, but you can effectively kite every enemy in the Temple of Trials this way.

Now, if you have middling intelligence, getting past the guard at the end is a bit trickier, but hey. Thats what save scumming is for.

Yes, but we shouldn't have to do those things (especially save-scumming). Though I suppose you are right about the kiting thing. Although what happens when you have to fight Geckos? Or enemies with guns?

Vanquish for the 360.

Every boss robot has a grapple attack. These all incorporate small quick-time events that get you out of the grip unharmed and deals damage to the boss.

You've gone through at least 5 bosses like that by this point.

You are then forced to fight a robot only identified as "Unknown". Get too close to it and it grapples you. And you die. There is no QTE, no chance to get yourself out. If this thing grabs you, it's Game Over. It's grab is a OHKO.

I was having quite a bit of fun, though I was very annoyed at how hard it is to find Unknown's weak point. As soon as it OHKO'd me, I rage-quit. I like to think I'm pretty level-headed when it comes to games and that I rarely rage-quit on the first try. This just came off as such a dick move that I did. For the first time ever, I rage-quit the first try.

BrotherSurplice:

Ordinaryundone:

BrotherSurplice:

Yes, but we shouldn't have to do those things (especially save-scumming). Though I suppose you are right about the kiting thing. Although what happens when you have to fight Geckos? Or enemies with guns?

By the time you fight Geckos, you should have the 10mm pistol which is more than capable of taking them down (you can find one in the rat cave in Klamath). You shouldn't really get into your first real gunfight until The Den, where you can find much better weapons (like shotguns, or the .44 magnum) with the shopkeepers.

First boss in Final Fantasy VII.

Cloud: "Barret, be careful!"
"Attack while it's tail's up!"

Player: Oh, okay! /attack attack

Cloud: It's gonna counterattack with it's laser."

Oh character limits in dialogue boxes and poor translation, you win again!

Baneat:
Fucking Seth in SF IV

The whole thing.

Yep. It's even worse when you've never ever played Street Fighter before ... I should know, my copy of SFIV is rotting in some junkyard even as we speak.

nukethetuna:
First boss in Final Fantasy VII.

Cloud: "Barret, be careful!"
"Attack while it's tail's up!"

Player: Oh, okay! /attack attack

Cloud: It's gonna counterattack with it's laser."

Oh character limits in dialogue boxes and poor translation, you win again!

so that's why I thought it was the hardest boss in the game, you weren't supposed to attack it. Damn it translators.

What Square did to Kingdom Hearts. What a good vibe the first one had. But KH2 turned innocence into cheese with their overcomplication and their angsty bishies.

Smelly limburger anus cheese.

xXxJessicaxXx:

canadamus_prime:

Oh do give it a rest. It was not that bad, for fuck sakes!! I've beaten that game something like 10 times, and damn it I could think of dungeons way worse than that one!
Perhaps you'd prefer to play games on Super Easy Mode.
snip

They already have that it's called streamlining :p

Dick move: Any game that has 1 shot deaths or failures and doesn't have skippable cutscenes. I like the challenge but having to sit through the same scene ten times isn't fun.

Oh good, so all those people who pussied out about the Water Temple should have no problem then. BŪ

OT: To add on to yours, I'm going to say long unskippable cutscenes right before particularly hard boss fights. I don't mind the hard boss fights. I've mentioned before about the almost euphoric rush from finally overcoming a particularly obnoxious challenge, but when you have to watch the same boring unskippable cutscene everytime you fail it makes it so you don't even want to bother to try.

World of Warcraft, making your gear obsolete with every patch! hurray!

Good for Dick. I move in three-dimensional space.

The Dark Zealots from Torchlight come immediately to mind--squishy, but can easily instagib you while they spawn hordes of skeletons to distract you and/or act as meatshields to your explosive arrows. D:<

Also, the Oblivion Knights in the Chaos Sanctuary from Lord of Destruction that could cast Iron Maiden. It's incredibly frustrating to have that land on you mid-Zeal and you instagib yourself.

I would say the majority of Super Meat Boy is centered around "dick moves". But that's why it's so darn fun!

WorldCritic:
Also if you lose the second fight, you have to both go through the first on and watch the long unskippable cutscenes all over again.

Man, that's such a pain in the ass. I hate it when there's a really hard part in a game where the game forces you to sit through a bunch of bullshit like long death sequences/game over screens, unskippable cutscenes, or slogging through multiple menus before it lets you get back into the fight and try again.

This mother fucker right here.

I don't think I need to explain myself.

I got another one.

Sega: "So did you like Valkyria Chronicles?"

Me: "Yeah, in fact its one of my personal favourite games of all time."

Sega: "Would you like a sequel?"

Me: "Yeah, that would be awesome."

Sega: "Well here's the thing, we at Sega are illergic to money, so we're going to release both sequels on the PSP where it can't possibly make us any. Tee hee, we're not sorry."

Me: "FUCK YOU SEGA!!!"

Putting in Command posts in Brink. They themselves are OK but its the fact that I have to listen to my leader saying "They captured a Command Post! GET IT BACK!!" Every 5 seconds just pissed me off.

NOOB
F**KING
TUBING

it NEVER
GOES
AWAY!!!!!!!!!

Easily in Metro 2033 when they have a checpoint in frontline, right next to broen glass.

You ither reload the checkpoint or start the misson again.
Its near theend of the mission.
Walkng on broken glass makes enemies alert to you.
You cant see much because you need to blow out 2 lights.

If Alerted nazis storm the room. About 4, then you have to fight your way through. Not good for stealth characters

Lao Shan Lung's tail.
IF you've played Monster Hunter, you know what I mean.
It does obscene damage (LOW Rank one with FULL AKANTOR ARMOR), and can be tough to dodge, especially when it stunlocks you by crushing your face with it's feet when it's at the end of an area.

DRM..I mean BAD DRM

oh you want to play our game? you must have internet..which we will proceed to eat up just like your money!

oh and limited installs...SERIOUSLY if you buy a product for like $90 (new release price Australia) you would at least want it to be usable as long as possible (granted in the world of tech its very upgrad centric....but still)

oh and when carachters start morally berating you (that doctor guy in the corner in theme hospital...you know what? YOU run the fucking hospital...see how much you like it)

Simeon Ivanov:

Baneat:
Fucking Seth in SF IV

The whole thing.

Yep. It's even worse when you've never ever played Street Fighter before ... I should know, my copy of SFIV is rotting in some junkyard even as we speak.

Ditto this....

Azazel and NANCY-MI847J from Tekken 6, That was a dick move. My friend had to spend four and a half hours on NANCY-MI847J. Having to restart the entire arcade mode when it beats you.

Krantos:
I did a search for this, but the thread that came up was 3 years old, and I'm not familiar with The Escapist's stance on thread Necromancy.

I don't know what the goosestepping ducks is wrong with me, but I read that as "thread Necrophilia"...
OT: The Railworks DLC. Some of it is more expensive than the game itself, and all of it, put together, rounds up to about 1,400 dollars. Really, WHAT THE HELL.

Not quite sure if this fits into topic but Mafia 2's Joe's adventure should have been in the game not some DLC. Now the main game was painfully short. Curse the ability to easily send large files...

ChupathingyX:

imahobbit4062:

What would you prefer, a little slideshow, or to go around the world and see what you had done?

A longer slideshow that actually explains what happened to all of the major factions and people I met on my journey and gives proper closure.

You know like what New Vegas did?

The thing with Fallout 3 is that the only significant thing that happens is the BoS start a pure water business and if you insert FEV then a couple of people get sick. Nothing big changes, almost everything is the same and even after Broken Steel there are still Enclave located in the game that keep respawning.

you could just put that down to it being...a GAME things go on as they do..enemys respawn, I mean you dont need a slideshow to indicate what happened after the main events...you can guess that for yourself

anyway Im thankful that broken steel fixed the original ending because it sucked and for somone who was REALLY emotionally invested in my charachter it was a let down

Some of the end bosses in Cryptic games can be a bitch. Kigatilik is one of them, fought in the open game world with however many players choose to join in, meaning no co-ordination whatsoever. Which would be fine, except whenever he kills a player, or a player's pet, or destroys a player's summon he's instantly healed for 40,000hp. So any player who joins in without knowing this will probably end up throwing down summons and helping him. Much rage in Zone chat ensues.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked