Minecraft Let's Plays

So, Minecraft came out in it's alpha stage a while ago and it came out rather unnoticed by the gaming community. Soon after people such as Davidr64YT otherwise none as X and Seananners started making Let's Plays for the game which then became increasingly popular. Do you think Minecraft would have sold as well as it has and continues to, if it hadn't been for people like this?

Also what is your view on Let's Plays in general?

I don't care for "Let's Play!"'s. When I go to see a video game on YouTube, it is to see the game in action and motion so I'll know whether I would buy it or not. Nothing detracts from that than hearing some geeky nerd talking.

Multiplayer gameplay commentaries, on the other hand ...

I enjoy Let's Plays, although Minecraft is a HORRIBLE idea to do a Let's Play on, a quote I like is: "Minecraft is like Tetris, when you watch it it looks incredibly boring and you can't see why anyone would get into it, but when you finally play it it's quite fun and addicting." There are just some fun things out there that you cannot Let's Play.

zxamike:
no i pirated and ten after a while got the game for reals because of X and seananners i saw it first form seananners then X so no they got tones of views and it dose not sound fun just hearing about it (ok maby a little when you hear about amazing battles with exploding co..... i mean creepers)

Can you put that into English and get back to me please?

Warachia:

zxamike:
no i pirated and ten after a while got the game for reals because of X and seananners i saw it first form seananners then X so no they got tones of views and it dose not sound fun just hearing about it (ok maby a little when you hear about amazing battles with exploding co..... i mean creepers)

Off topic: Can you not be off-topic and in future state when your going to be?

Rage4Kon:

Warachia:

zxamike:

Off topic: Can you not be off-topic and in future state when your going to be?

Well then I accidentally the whole thing.

Games are sold mainly by word of mouth. SO long as people played and enjoyed it then it was going to sell well. Let's plays are good ways of getting attention but are not solely responsible for how a game does. I predict that it would have sold roughly equally with or without lets plays.

For Let's Plays in general.. they're okay. It's a good way to see the gameplay of a game whilst hearing what the person playing feels about it to see if you'd like it. Although it always is frustrating to see the player make a mistake you knew not to make...

For Minecraft, Let's Plays just accomplished what word of..type.. and recommendations would have done otherwise. I first heard about it on the TF2 blog, myself.

yeah I got it bc of Mr.Nanners showing it off

The Last Parade:
yeah I got it bc of Mr.Nanners showing it off

I first heard about it because of X but I then watched seananners LP and it was just as entertaining. Really wish he made that LP longer but its okay because the Yogscast now satisfies my minecraft needs as well as playing the game itself of course.

My friend first introduced me to Minecraft through "Lets play" videos, and in a way that's what got me interested in it. That, and him showing me his Legend of Zelda world creation he'd made in it. xD

In general, though, I actually kinda like "Lets play" videos to show me gameplay. I used to use them for games I couldn't play because I didn't have an xbox or a ps3 to play them on. ^^ Since getting one, though, I don't use them so much. *shrug*

Warachia:
I enjoy Let's Plays, although Minecraft is a HORRIBLE idea to do a Let's Play on, a quote I like is: "Minecraft is like Tetris, when you watch it it looks incredibly boring and you can't see why anyone would get into it, but when you finally play it it's quite fun and addicting." There are just some fun things out there that you cannot Let's Play.

Basically this^
Without interaction (you know, that thing that the entirety of any video game hinges on) the audience can't truly grasp nor appreciate whats going on. Also I decided to get Minecraft after they gave it a small section on Gameinformer and there were only two things that really sold me: the environment can be completely interacted with (constructing and deconstructing the blocky world) and zombies show up at night...

I must have missed a few stray internets. I thought Minecraft became shockingly popular largely due to a small amount of attention lavished on it by Penny Arcade.

X's Adventures in Minecraft is brilliant - my favourite thing on Youtube with the sole exception of Freeman's Mind. I didn't find it until after I'd bought the game, but I really enjoyed the series.

Sad to say he eventually totally burned out on Minecraft - probably not helped by comments constantly pushing him to do more Minecraft videos.

Sixcess:
X's Adventures in Minecraft is brilliant - my favourite thing on Youtube with the sole exception of Freeman's Mind. I didn't find it until after I'd bought the game, but I really enjoyed the series.

Sad to say he eventually totally burned out on Minecraft - probably not helped by comments constantly pushing him to do more Minecraft videos.

Well said, my thoughts exactly.

Not only do lets plays make a game more popular, but also the people filming them. Without Minecraft and 'Shadow of Israphel' nowhere near as many people would know about the Yogscast. Its win-win for the developer and the player.

Now, i'm off to rage at S.978 for a while.

This is what a typical Minecraft LP is like, except it's usually without the excellent commentary by ChipCheezum and General Ironicus. Can anyone here tell me they honestly find this piece of shit good? MAKE MY DAY, SAY IT.

Otherwise on LPs in general, I'm currently watching the Metroid Prime LP by slowbeef of Retsupurae fame, and my god it's good. You can tell that it was made under the watchful eye of SomethingAwful rather than YouTube.

I've seen some good Let's Plays of Minecraft. X's Adventures in Mincraft was pretty enjoyable introduced me to the game.

I love Let's Plays, but rarely do I like video LP's. Unless it's done well, it just makes me tired. I prefer screenshot ones myself, I love reading them if they're well written and interesting (Narrative ones are good too) in fact I am currently doing a screenshot LP of Mount & Blade: Warband on another site. The LPArchive is the place I usually go to for Let's Play, my personal favorite is the KOTOR 2 one there.

i hadnt heard of it, but i found X's playthrough on his second episode and watched the mall, i find it more entertaining to watch minecraft than play tbh, but its old now, the only minecraft vids i watch are the ones done by BlueXephos (Yogscast)

also in general i love lets plays, they are the main reason i go on youtube

them and freddiew

The Virgo:
I don't care for "Let's Play!"'s. When I go to see a video game on YouTube, it is to see the game in action and motion so I'll know whether I would buy it or not. Nothing detracts from that than hearing some geeky nerd talking.

Multiplayer gameplay commentaries, on the other hand ...

Essentially this. When im watching someone play a single player game, its for this reason; should I get it? Or should I not? So I want to see what the game is about, look at the gameplay, etc. The one big thing I dont need is some asshole talking about it, especially not Seenanners, that fucking cunt.

I know thats the point of a Lets Play, but I would rather just play the fucking game myself than listen to some idiot who thinks hes funny ramble on about shit.

I think let's plays made it more popular or at least make people consider buying it I find it relaxing to watch let's plays

I think the reason I got it wasn't because of LPs, but various things other sites did that I visited every other week. TF2's blog, VG Cats, and of course the Escapist.

However, I doubt it would've gotten this popular without the LPers.

Khadplank:

This is what a typical Minecraft LP is like, except it's usually without the excellent commentary by ChipCheezum and General Ironicus. Can anyone here tell me they honestly find this piece of shit good? MAKE MY DAY, SAY IT.

Its not to my taste for sure, but hey if people watch it then it passes the test... So it must have something.

Personally most Minecraft LP's annoy me because people always seem to start their LP without much prior knowledge of the game. So I see them making stupid decisions and it really grates on my COD sensibilities.... Especially as I have a meta game where I spawn new worlds and try to make a house plus full set of iron tools + bed before nightfall, which I manage most of the time... so seeing someone take several hours to get to that point is...

ARRRRGHH

Yogscast is the exception because they're actually pretty funny.

Personally I picked up minecraft because of people on this forum going on about it... the LP's came later for me.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked