Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Let's Play Fallout: New Vegas [The Servant]

Pages PREV 1 . . . 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 . . . 37 NEXT

Viking Incognito:

CM156:

My next writing will be on economic systems in the wastes.

Makes me think of that line in OWB about how Mobius predicted the use of caps in place of money. I never understood that considering you can find plenty of pre-war money lying around, an I would think that with ll the factories destroyed that the number of caps would be finite, but hey, it's fallout.fr

Actually civilisations are starting to get rid of caps.

The NCR are turning to printing their own money and minting their own coins. The NCR even have their own Treasurer.

Caesar's Legion are also minting their own coins and creating their own curency.

ChupathingyX:

Viking Incognito:

CM156:

My next writing will be on economic systems in the wastes.

Makes me think of that line in OWB about how Mobius predicted the use of caps in place of money. I never understood that considering you can find plenty of pre-war money lying around, an I would think that with ll the factories destroyed that the number of caps would be finite, but hey, it's fallout.fr

Actually civilisations are starting to get rid of caps.

The NCR are turning to printing their own money and minting their own coins. The NCR even have their own Treasurer.

Caesar's Legion are also minting their own coins and creating their own curency.

Yeah, but it's paper money. Those don't work in places where law enforcement (and law in general) is weak. Plus, they run into the issue of possible inflation if they aren't careful.

CM156:

Yeah, but it's paper money. Those don't work in places where law enforcement (and law in general) is weak. Plus, they run into the issue of possible inflation if they aren't careful.

You have to start somewhere, and at sometime.

Also, you have to remember that in tightly controlled NCR territory (back in California), the NCR's police force is much better. In Fallout 2 the NCR have a police force, and you can kinda compare it to the settlement of America back in the old west. The west (California) represents the more civilised side with police, whereas the more midwest is like the Old West, where the NCR have a presence but not complete control or law.

ChupathingyX:

CM156:

You have to start somewhere, and at sometime.

Also, you have to remember that in tightly controlled NCR territory (back in California), the NCR's police force is much better. In Fallout 2 the NCR have a police force, and you can kinda compare it to the settlement of America back in the old west. The west (California) represents the more civilised side with police, whereas the more midwest is like the Old West, where the NCR have a presence but not complete control or law.

I guess one of the biggest advantages is that caps are taken everywhere, correct? If the Lone Wanderer went to the Mojave, they could still spend what they had. But NCR money is worth little outside of NCR territory

Melon Hunter:

Perhaps something on the SCIENCE! explanation the Fallout universe has for mutated creatures or technology versus real-life equivalents?

CM156:

How about something on the food chain and how it changes after nuclear war?

Thanks for the ideas guys, I'll keep them in mind, though CM's idea is more along the lines of ecology rather than biology. I'm thinking I'll put one up in November, after all my midterms are finished. I'll probably start with something about how the idea of radioactive water is complete and utter BS.

Berenzen:

Melon Hunter:

Perhaps something on the SCIENCE! explanation the Fallout universe has for mutated creatures or technology versus real-life equivalents?

CM156:

How about something on the food chain and how it changes after nuclear war?

Thanks for the ideas guys, I'll keep them in mind, though CM's idea is more along the lines of ecology rather than biology. I'm thinking I'll put one up in November, after all my midterms are finished. I'll probably start with something about how the idea of radioactive water is complete and utter BS.

Really? I thought water could get irradiated

Or is it that it wouldn't be in this concentration 200 years ex post facto?

CM156:

I'll get into it in some depth next week, but there wouldn't be enough radioactive particulate matter to raise the concentration of it in lake or ocean by any significant size.

Berenzen:

CM156:

I'll get into it in some depth next week, but there wouldn't be enough radioactive particulate matter to raise the concentration of it in lake or ocean by any significant size.

Wow. I did not know that.

Are you a chemist?

CM156:

Berenzen:

CM156:

Are you a chemist?

No, I'm in school majoring in computing science with emphasis on software design, but my father is a molecular biologist, and last year I did my first year of university majoring in nuclear physics.

Berenzen:

CM156:

Berenzen:

Are you a chemist?

No, I'm in school majoring in computing science with emphasis on software design, but my father is a molecular biologist, and last year I did my first year of university majoring in nuclear physics.

Ahhh. That sounds like fun.

I'm undecided, but I'm looking to do a Major in International Relations, and a Minor in either Business and Poli-sci. So law is really my area of study.

CM156:

Berenzen:

CM156:

Are you a chemist?

I'm undecided, but I'm looking to do a Major in International Relations, and a Minor in either Business and Poli-sci. So law is really my area of study.

I'm a sophomore in high-school getting my brain raped in biology every week.

.....But hey, at least I know I can get good grades in Philosophy/Psychology/Human behavior.

Viking Incognito:

CM156:

Berenzen:

I'm a sophomore in high-school getting my brain raped in biology every week.

.....But hey, at least I know I can get good grades in Philosophy/Psychology/Human behavior.

I have a bit of trouble with Psych because I was taught the Freudian method, and it's taken me a long time to get that view out of my mind.

Lessons with High Scribe CM156

Economics in the waste: Bottle Caps as money? It's more likely than you think

As always, C&C is welcome

The NCR initially backed its currency with gold, but the gold reserves were destroyed by the Brotherhood of Steel so the Republic was forced to back it with water instead. This caused much of the inflation, and is part of why Hoover Dam is so important.

Aidinthel:
The NCR initially backed its currency with gold, but the gold reserves were destroyed by the Brotherhood of Steel so the Republic was forced to back it with water instead. This caused much of the inflation, and is part of why Hoover Dam is so important.

Wait, they destroyed gold reserves? Why?

Hunh. That did not show up in my research.

Good job student! Extra credit!

CM156:
Wait, they destroyed gold reserves? Why?

By that point it was clear that the Brotherhood couldn't defeat NCR, so they decided to just cause as much damage as they could.

CM156:
However, in the absence of a strong government with the power to mint money and regulate it, caps will continue to be the primary source of income. However, the New California Republic (NCR) is making a move to return to paper money. As it stands, most government workers prefer to be paid in caps, but the practice is growing. The NCR, if it can keep control, will likely be the ones to re-institute the paper money system into the world.

Also Caesar's Legion are returning to using the denarius and aureus as they have access to mints.

Also, I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but Fallout 2 did not use caps, instead it used NCR coins as the main currency and barter everywhere else if you didn't have the coins.

ChupathingyX:

CM156:
However, in the absence of a strong government with the power to mint money and regulate it, caps will continue to be the primary source of income. However, the New California Republic (NCR) is making a move to return to paper money. As it stands, most government workers prefer to be paid in caps, but the practice is growing. The NCR, if it can keep control, will likely be the ones to re-institute the paper money system into the world.

Also Caesar's Legion are returning to using the denarius and aureus as they have access to mints.

Also, I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but Fallout 2 did not use caps, instead it used NCR coins as the main currency and barter everywhere else if you didn't have the coins.

Well, I didn't know that. Thanks for telling me. Extra credit for you too!

Sounds like fun though. I also mentioned the Denarius coin clipping because it seemed relevant .

Sorry about no update yesterday, internet was down all day. I'll make sure to get an update out later today.

AlternatePFG:
Sorry about no update yesterday, internet was down all day. I'll make sure to get an update out later today.

Quite alright. Quite alright.

Keep this in mind to keep you motivated: The sooner you update, the sooner we never have to talk about MZ again!

Hey guys, sorry about having not posted anything in forever, lots of life happened all at once.

Anyways, as a returning gift to you all, a few episodes:

Off-topic: My Fallout 3 collector's edition arrived today! I picked it up on sale for the little extras: Lunchbox, Bobblehead, artbook, and making-of DVD.

AlternatePFG:

No problem, quality takes time.

Altough, that makes me wonder why Mothership Zeta was the last DLC...

So I'm wondering if no one would mind me writing stories set in the Fallout universe and posting them here. They would be set in either the Mojave or the Capital Wasteland or possibly both. The protagonist would be unlikely to be either the Courier or the Lone Wanderer and instead, be more of a made up character.

MinimanZombie:
So I'm wondering if no one would mind me writing stories set in the Fallout universe and posting them here. They would be set in either the Mojave or the Capital Wasteland or possibly both. The protagonist would be unlikely to be either the Courier or the Lone Wanderer and instead, be more of a made up character.

I think it's a bang-up idea. Everyone is putting something forward.

Just make sure that it's interesting.

CM156:

MinimanZombie:

I think it's a bang-up idea. Everyone is putting something forward.

Just make sure that it's interesting.

Oh I shall. It will be very interesting! MWAHAHHAHA-*Cough*-Dammit.
So anyway is anyone else interested in my idea?

Chapter LVIII - Meet the Crew

Sorry for the really short update, couldn't think of a good jumping off point.

AlternatePFG:
Yup, Toshiro doesn't speak a lick of English, considering he's a samurai and everything.

You know what is never explained; how come you can understand what Chinese soldiers say in both OA and in vanilla F3 and you can somehow read the Chinese training book, yet for some reason you can't understand Japanese?

ChupathingyX:

AlternatePFG:
Yup, Toshiro doesn't speak a lick of English, considering he's a samurai and everything.

You know what is necer explained; how come you can understand what Chinese soldiers say in both OA and in vanilla F3 and you can somehow read the Chinese training book, yet for some reason you can't understand Japanese?

Well, to be fair, Japanese and Chinese are different languages. Who knows? Perhaps you learned it in the Vault?

CM156:

Well, to be fair, Japanese and Chinese are different languages. Who knows? Perhaps you learned it in the Vault?

That's not what I was getting at, it just seems strange that all Chinese in the game is translated.

As for learning it, that's a possiblity, but it is just an assumption.

ChupathingyX:

CM156:

That's not what I was getting at, it just seems strange that all Chinese in the game is translated.

I guess it's just the magic of the Fallout 'verse

Who knows?

CM156:

ChupathingyX:

CM156:

Who knows?

OA - You have a universal translator put in the simulation. If they look like big bads, speak like big bads, so the motivated killing machine who´s getting all the training will think they´re the big bads.
To the vanilla game Japanese... "Why the fuck not?", though the developer.

JamesStone:

CM156:

ChupathingyX:

Who knows?

OA - You have a universal translator put in the simulation. If they look like big bads, speak like big bads, so the motivated killing machine who´s getting all the training will think they´re the big bads.

You know what I think? It's magic everywhere in this b*tch!

It's a miracle! Other than that, I don't know

JamesStone:

There is no Japanese in the vanilla game IIRC, however, there are Chinese remnant soldiers at Mama Dolce's who speak Chinese and get translated in the subtitles. Then there are the Chinese soldiers in the Tranquility Lane simulation who also speak Chinese yet are still translated.

And then of course there is the Chinese training guide (the "sneak" skill book) which can be read by the Lone Wanderer.

ChupathingyX:

JamesStone:

There is no Japanese in the vanilla game IIRC, however, there are Chinese remnant soldiers at Mama Dolce's who speak Chinese and get translated in the subtitles. Then there are the Chinese soldiers in the Tranquility Lane simulation who also speak Chinese yet are still translated.

And then of course there is the Chinese training guide (the "sneak" skill book) which can be read by the Lone Wanderer.

Well, it's the fallout universe. If radiation can make someone into a Ghoul rather than give them cancer, perhaps it conveys with it the ability to understand Chinese

I'm disappointed that no ICP albums were left after the nukes, BTW>

ChupathingyX:

Perhaps the manual simply has very detailed diagrams.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 . . . 37 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked