Let's Play Fallout: New Vegas [The Servant]

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . . . 37 NEXT

help ashur the slaves are idiots.

To make up for yesterday's short update, I have a big one in store for you guys today.

Chapter XV - The Fate of The Pitt

Okay question time: What did you think about The Pitt?

Also, by the way, for those who didn't see the edit earlier, the topic may or may not end up being moved to User Reviews. Just warning you ahead of time in case it happens.

AlternatePFG:

Using the Busy Street rating scale, I give the DLC a -1.5.

I did the iron fetch quest, but because I did the quest when I was level 27, it wasn't worth much to me really.

I chose the other side, and regreated it.

I didn't think it was so bad. It wasn't the best DLC, but it certainly wasn't the worst.

My favorite part was actually the whole ingot collection quest, because it focused on Fallout 3's strong suits, exploration and combat. Also you get some pretty good loot out of it.

I also like that Bethesda at least tried to add some moral ambiguity. Sure the decision became obvious once logic was applied, but at least they tried to not make everything black and white.

AlternatePFG:

I was promised "grey morality" by Bethesda, I didn't get it.

Personally the only things I liked about The Pitt was the actual design of the city, the new armours added and Ashur.

Still, it was better than Operation Anchorage, Broken Steel and Mothership Zeta.

Drakmorg:
I didn't think it was so bad. It wasn't the best DLC, but it certainly wasn't the worst.

My favorite part was actually the whole ingot collection quest, because it focused on Fallout 3's strong suits, exploration and combat. Also you get some pretty good loot out of it.

I also like that Bethesda at least tried to add some moral ambiguity. Sure the decision became obvious once logic was applied, but at least they tried to not make everything black and white.

I think the problem is the way in which they approached a "Moraly grey" choice

For example, have you played Dragon Age 2?

Now, does EITHER group sound like one you'd like to side with?

I think the best "Moraly Grey" choice is if you get a third option, which boils down to "F*** you, I refuse to play."

Rather than present both sides as amoral pricks, I wish they would allow both sides to, through the story, make their point. Kinda how they did it in Mask of the Betrayer.

EDIT:

AlternatePFG:

one a scale of "sucks" to "Best add-on ever" I'd give it a "'s okay". I had fun with it but the only time I ever went back there was when I was to impatient to find ammo I wanted.

AlternatePFG:

It was a bit of a chore, really. It's a fetch quest with an arena attached when it comes down to the thick and thin of it. Most of my time was spent navigating uptown so I could find the last few raiders or a safe way down. I only do the DLC now so I can get the ammo press: all that 10mm ammo needs to do something.

What do I think of The Pitt:
This is only going by following your LP of it. Seems like it is very clumsily-paced, like they were so proud of Ashur as a character that they rushed you to get to him. Then that makes the content short. He does seem like a better character than anyone I met in my run of the main game, but going from Newbie to Worker to Ashur's best friend (why does he trust you?) was strange.
Still, it was enjoyable to follow it here.

CM156:
Kinda how they did it in Mask of the Betrayer.

Well, RPG's in general should take more cues from Mask of the Betrayer. That game was brilliant.

Another Lily's Log. I'll be doing one after each DLC. I'll probably update the next actual update later this afternoon.

(Side note - Sorry for the clunky beginning of the log, I really have no idea how you could justify this excursion to The Pitt in-character, for that matter I don't really see how you could justify any of the DLC in character, maybe except for Broken Steel and maybe Mothership Zeta, if you come upon it by accident.)

This log is extremely long due to it being the entire Pitt DLC in one entry.

Lily's Log - The Pitt

Chapter XVI - Project Purity

Sorry for the rant heavy update. This is where the main plot of the game goes from "It's alright but the characters are annoying" to "This is bullshit" in my eyes.

So alright, another question: If there was one area you'd want me to visit in this LP, tell me which one and why?

AlternatePFG:

So alright, another question: If there was one area you'd want me to visit in this LP, tell me which one and why?

I hear of a place in the Wasteland with living trees. Go there.

DustyDrB:

AlternatePFG:

I hear of a place in the Wasteland with living trees. Go there.

Oasis is pretty much a must. I do plan on most of the major sidequests, all of them are pretty interesting. (For good or bad.)

Chapter XVII - Wait, Haven't We Done This Before?

So, my question for you guys is: What do you think of the LP so far? Anything you would like me to improve on?

Also, I'm just going restate the last question: Is there any area at all that you would like me to visit the most, and maybe say why.

The metal blaster is only overpowered until you start fighting the ridiculous Broken Steel ghouls and super mutant overlords. I hated those things so much. I did a lot of sidequests before bothering with the main quest so there were a bunch of overlords in the museum with the lander dish, and I was not prepared for them at all. I died so many times...

The only thing I'd have suggested re: the LP was more color commentary but this last update was actually pretty good about that. Make sure to check out the Republic of Dave.

I think the LP is going great so far just to tell you and I can't think of anything to improve upon. As for your question the location I would like you to visit most is the Dunwhich Building mainly because I always found it interesting other than that just Evergreen mills for all the violence.

I'm really lovin this so far! I caan't really think of any suggestions, lookin forward to the next update in Tranquility lane

This is probably the most dialogue heavy update I've done since the first, so keep that in mind. Tranquility Lane has no combat (Well, unless you play through it fully evil) or exploring, just dialogue everywhere.

Chapter XVIII - "Wacky" Hijinks in Tranquility Lane

Okay, new question: What did you think of Tranquility Lane?

AlternatePFG:
Okay, new question: What did you think of Tranquility Lane?

I thought it was brilliant, although the karma system kinda screws the whole thing over. You either have a choice of being a massive dick and ruining your karma or being an even bigger dick and ruining your karma. But, here's the kicker, it wouldn't have been as good if there was a good option, it would have ruined the entire thing. That's the problem with karma systems, there's too much dependency on them. Had Bethesda cut out karma recording and just used reaction from people, this probably wouldn't be a problem.

I disagree that it was misplaced though, the tone shift was the entire point. Throughout the wasteland you have people who are either good, bad or in it for themselves. Braun isn't any of them, he's just a guy who is preserving the life of people and having fun. He'd gotten bored of Tranquillity Lane and decided to have some fun with a bunch of virtual people.

He wasn't a bad person, there was no moral issue with what he was doing, he was just bored and a little psychotic. The idea behind the tone shift was that it was just another vault gone wrong; people who should have lived perfect lives didn't.

Part of the reason the Capital Wasteland is so disorganized is that Talon Company is being paid to keep it that way.

Still doesn't explain how they can possibly still survive off scavenging after a couple centuries, but it's better than nothing.

I remember liking Tranquility Lane when I played Fallout 3, but it doesn't look as good now in your LP. Maybe it was because I hated the tone of the rest of the game so much that this was a welcome change.

Since I didn't think it would be interesting enough for a full on update, I decided to do a short one dedicated to us just following Dad through the wasteland. Unlike the other mini-update, this will be part of the LP's 'canon' so to speak, so anything that I've found (Which you can probably guess by the title) will show up later.

Mini-Update - Following Dad and Surprise Firelance Event

So, have you guys found the Firelance?

AlternatePFG:

Why not Fallout 1 or 2?
Again, I don't have much to say on the matter of these, except that they are really, really good games. Buy them if you haven't already, preferably on GoG and not Steam.

Sorry for going a bit off-topic, but what's the difference if I may ask?
(This is going great btw)

AlternatePFG:
So, have you guys found the Firelance?

Nope. Didn't even know it existed.

The same is true of Andale. Looking forward to seeing you cover it.

I didn't follow my dad back, but from the looks of things, I guess I missed out

SpaceBat:

AlternatePFG:

Why not Fallout 1 or 2?
Again, I don't have much to say on the matter of these, except that they are really, really good games. Buy them if you haven't already, preferably on GoG and not Steam.

Sorry for going a bit off-topic, but what's the difference if I may ask?
(This is going great btw)

Well, GoG is DRM-free, cheaper (6$ as opposed to 10$, if I remember correctly), comes with the games soundtrack, some wallpapers/avatars (which you could probably get for free anyway), the Fallout Bible (A collection of Fallout lore. Again, available for free) and probably most importantly, compatible with operating systems up to Windows 7.

You buy it off Steam, you have to use mods and fixes to get it to work on modern computers, and Steam tends to interfere with those. Not to mention with Fallout 2, you want to get the restoration and bugfix megamod, cause that game unpatched is buggier than New Vegas and 3 combined.

I found it once, but only because it flew past my face and hit a rock. Ammo was pretty scarce though and I really couldn't be bothered to look for it, so I kept it as a trinket. I've also had it trigger a few times as well but I could never find it, much to my annoyance. XD

Anyways, keep up the good work and I'll keep lurking here and not posting, like I've been doing ever since you started this. XD

For me the Firelance triggered in the middle of a firefight so I didn't notice the explosion and didn't even realize it was a random event until I looked it up. I assumed it had just been lying in that spot and spent several minutes looking around trying to find some environmental storytelling that wasn't there.

I've actually had the firelance event happen to me on three separate occasions, all of which I was unable to actually get the weapon because I had the misfortune of the event happening in rocky areas at night so my options were to either wait til morning and search for half an hour or just say "Fuck it" and move on.

I generally just moved on since seeing as how the weapon has a finite amount of ammunition and I'm the kind of person who would never actually use it because I'd keep thinking "But I might need it later" and would hate to waste it.

Drakmorg:
I'm the kind of person who would never actually use it because I'd keep thinking "But I might need it later" and would hate to waste it.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I did. I'm not certain I ever fired it at all...

Drakmorg:

... I'd keep thinking "But I might need it later" and would hate to waste it.

Oh, I can relate.

I was walking around with about 400 stimpacks at the end, but was reluctant to use them for that very same reason.

OCD, what's that?

Chapter XIX - Dad Gives Us Chores

Fallout 3 question: Did the section where you have to repair stuff in the basement annoy you guys too? Or am I just overreacting?

The game has enough issues with pacing as it is.

AlternatePFG:
Fallout 3 question: Did the section where you have to repair stuff in the basement annoy you guys too? Or am I just overreacting?

I... didn't like it. But it didn't really bother me, no.

Good job so far though.
When do you think you'll do Operation: Anchorage?

CM156:

Good job so far though.

I was planning on doing that soon.

At that point, we're taking a huge break from the main plotline to do Operation Anchorage and a few sidequests. I want to stave off Little Lamplight for as long as I can.

True, I have to play Operation Anchorage, but Lamplight is so much worse.

Edit: At least with Anchorage if I can squint my eyes I can pretend like I'm playing Call of Duty 4 or something.

AlternatePFG:

CM156:

Good job so far though.

I was planning on doing that soon.

At that point, we're taking a huge break from the main plotline to do Operation Anchorage and a few sidequests. I want to stave off Little Lamplight for as long as I can.

True, I have to play Operation Anchorage, but Lamplight is so much worse.

I take it you're not a huge fan of Little Lamplight?

Oh, and I guess Lily's name makes more sense now, eh?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . . . 37 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked