Book to Game adaptation? (Altered Carbon)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I can't think of any.

Movies and even TV shows do it often enough, why not games?

And no, games from a film that was based on books obviously do not count. So no Lord of The Rings games, unless they clearly take no inspiration from the films by Peter Jackson.

Maybe American McGee's Alice...
If you can't think of any do you have any suggestions? I have one:

I'm thinking something like LA Noire style gameplay, just set yourself loose on the far future San Francisco solving a suicide/murder that nobody even thought happened. It has enough action and interaction to keep a player engaged and if they expanded out the events to be a bit more comprehensive.

Though I think a certain chapter might not make the cut.

Anyone who's read the book knows the chapter I am talking about...

The only one that springs to mind is Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth.

It's not based on a book per se, more a general setting within the mythos drawing heavily from The Shadow Over Innsmouth and to a lesser extent The Call of Cthulhu and At the Mountains of Madness.

The Witcher 1 and 2 are sequels of a sort to a series of novels and short stories by Andrzej Sapkowski.

Generic Gamer:
The only one that springs to mind is Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth.

It's not based on a book per se, more a general setting within the mythos drawing heavily from The Shadow Over Innsmouth and to a lesser extent The Call of Cthulhu and At the Mountains of Madness.

Damn, I bought that Call of Cthullu on Steam but I still haven't installed it.

I saw a lets-play and liked it enough to pick it up on sale... at the same time as like a dozen other things so I am still playing through Portal 2, Painkiller, Serious Sam, Deus Ex, Bioshock 2 (finished recently though), Mirror's edge... Oy, I need to prioritise. 6 Games on the go, not to mention another half dozen multiplayer games I keep returning to.

So what is it like? I read a bit of HP Lovecraft how is it faithful to the tone if not the plot?

Treblaine:

So what is it like? I read a bit of HP Lovecraft how is it faithful to the tone if not the plot?

The tone is pretty faithful but they've played down the racist overtones of the Innsmouth stuff naturally. The only problem I have really is that your character is a little calm in the face of the stuff he sees and that some of the reveals are a little over dramatic. It's a classy game altogether but you kind of feel there should have been a couple of extra months tweaking.

Also basing an FPS in a world where even one enemy is supposed to give mortal men the screaming willies for the rest of their lives does somewhat lead to compromise, some of the enemies you see in game scare your guy but in the books they drive people to complete mental collapse. There's no way your character should be able to face them down, much less give chase. I don't know if this'll make sense but it's less like being in a Lovecraft story and more like walking around a Lovecraft museum.

It is good though, there's one level in particular (the first one with real hostiles) that is absolutely golden, it's almost a straight recreation of a scene from one of the stories and it worked very well for me.

I think the very first LOTR game (fellowship) came out before the movies actually, though I can't be sure. It definately wasn't based on the movie in any case, although you can see certain landscapes and such are based on the same artists impressions as the ones in the movie. I wouldn't call it totally faithful to the book, but it does a pretty nice job.

Jim Grim:
I think the very first LOTR game (fellowship) came out before the movies actually, though I can't be sure. It definately wasn't based on the movie in any case, although you can see certain landscapes and such are based on the same artists impressions as the ones in the movie. I wouldn't call it totally faithful to the book, but it does a pretty nice job.

Do You mean this:

Interesting, that game came out in September 2002 when Jackson's Fellowship of the Ring premièred on dec-10th 2001.

It seems to take a LOT of imagery unique to Jackson's film adaptation.

Interestingly just one month later the Two Towers console action game was released.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings:_The_Two_Towers_(video_game)

So, this is a definite oddity though I don't think it came directly from the novel, it was clearly influenced to a large extent by the film.

Treblaine:

Dude, if someone made a great game out of this...that would be AMAZING. Its easily one of the better sci-fi books I've read.

Condiments:

Treblaine:

Dude, if someone made a great game out of this...that would be AMAZING. Its easily one of the better sci-fi books I've read.

It certainly would. I think gaming has actually reached that point as well, especially after games like LA Noire that was such a great proof of concept if rather held back by Noir archetypes.

Except for that I have no idea how they would adapt that particular chapter. You know the one. I think even that would struggle to pass the ESRB, unless it was so vague it was meaningless.

Metro 2033 was a book adaptation. And a rather good one at that. But yeah, that's one of very few.

I think Frank Peretti's Piercing the Darkness would be fantastic as a video game. It would mean our culture would have to stop hissing at anything remotely Christian, since it very much follows a biblical theology, but angels battling demons as they do in that book would be fantastic.

I'd also like to see a Sword of Truth game series. As long as it adapts the novels better than the show did.

Metro 2033
Witcher
Dante's Inferno
Neuromancer (if you are old like me and remember it)

Shadow Complex (surprise!) Actually Shadow Complex is based on a novel based on a *then* in progress game :/

Probably loads of older games in fact.
HHGTTG - Text adventure.
The Hobbit - Text Adventure

Wouldn't mind a game based on Snow Crash. The novel that gave the gaming world the term Avatar :/

There was a game based on the Discworld novels. This one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld_(video_game)

Bahahahahaaa, I win this thread!

OT: Games are a very unique form of media, and things don't generally translate well from books or movies to video-games. This leads to the majority of games being their own unique stories. Of the (relatively) few games that are based on other media, I think most of them are movies simply because more people watch movies than read books, so movies tend to be far more popular than books, and there is more incentive to make games from them.

Tallim:
Metro 2033
Witcher
Dante's Inferno

Shadow Complex (surprise!) Actually Shadow Complex is based on a novel based on a *then* in progress game :/

HHGTTG - Text adventure.

Wouldn't mind a game based on Snow Crash. The novel that gave the gaming world the term Avatar :/

Dante's Inferno wasn't an adaptation, that was a butchering.

OT: what others have said, Witcher.

Tallim:
Metro 2033
Witcher
Dante's Inferno

HHGTTG - Text adventure.

Dante's Inferno wasn't the most faithful adaptations of The Divine Comedy though was it.

I believe it was actually cited as an example in the Supreme Court ruling for why video games should not be art (and so get protection of the 1st amendment). But I suppose technically it isn't based on anything else - except desperately trying to be as much like God or War as possible.

Not to knock Snow Crash but I think the use of the term Avatar (in the modern rather than religious context) pre-dates 1992, the earliest I know of is the classic RPG; Ultima of the year 1980.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ultima_characters#cite_note-6

I think I might read Snow Crash, it seems like the book you might find in the offices of the Futurama writers.

Treblaine:

Tallim:
Metro 2033
Witcher
Dante's Inferno

HHGTTG - Text adventure.

Dante's Inferno wasn't the most faithful adaptations of The Divine Comedy though was it.

I believe it was actually cited as an example in the Supreme Court ruling for why video games should not be art (and so get protection of the 1st amendment). But I suppose technically it isn't based on anything else - except desperately trying to be as much like God or War as possible.

Not to knock Snow Crash but I think the use of the term Avatar (in the modern rather than religious context) pre-dates 1992, the earliest I know of is the classic RPG; Ultima of the year 1980.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ultima_characters#cite_note-6

I think I might read Snow Crash, it seems like the book you might find in the offices of the Futurama writers.

Yeah I did tart up the accolade somewhat. I should have probably said "popularised" but meh no harm :)

If you are going to read Snow Crash also think about reading The Diamond Age by the same author.

I must have said this a thousand times but Orcs by Stan Nicholas. It could be a Open World adventure game with Orcs as the main characters.

A Kotor-like RPG inspired by A Song of Ice and Fire, where intrigue and deception are as useful as good combat skills.

An action/adventure The Stand game, where you try to rebuild society, fight loonies who try to side with Flagg and, uh...survive the plague?

What luck, escapist has an article like this:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112347-Gamigo-Developing-MMO-Based-on-Tad-Williams-Otherland

See I was worried games were somehow limited compared to film unable to adapt books without a film doing it first and leeching off their work.

But it seems there is ample evidence video gaming is doing it for herself.

I'm still hoping for a Dune action adventure game. Something like Mass Effect, with knife duels and worm riding and decent politics.

That LotR game that came out in 2002 obviously came out to cash in on the film, but it was based directly on the book, not on the film. The same happened with The Bourne Identity.

I can't think of any direct adaptations. Enslaved was based off of Journey to the West. And there is Alice, like you said. Maybe Tom Clancy games? I've only played Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and have not read any of his books, so I'm not sure.

Books that I like that would make a good game? Errr...I can't think of any that wouldn't fail to do the books justice. Books allow things like dialogue or just...walking around interesting. They can't describe a character's thoughts or can fill in the history of the setting as the protagonist treks through a place. And since a lot of my favorite books are somewhat devoid of action: Vonnegut, Michael Chabon...hell, even Patrick Rothfuss' The Kingkiller Chronicle doesn't have that much action. It makes itself interesting by making its world, characters, and history interesting.

Suggestions:

The Ranger's Apprentice: RA is a series of young adult fantasy novels set in what is pretty much an altered version of Europe. I think that the setting would make a great open world RPG that young and old alike could enjoy, especially if they managed to inject the series' humour into the game.

The Tomorrow Series: While I don't think that you could do a faithful adaptation of the books, I think that you could use the themes of the books, the effect of war on the human psyche, and a different group of teenage protagonists to make a very good open world, survival FPS/RPG hybrid. Just imagine having to live off the land, desperately trying to avoid enemy patrols until you can defend yourselves and interacting with other, similar groups in occupied Australia. Of course, you'd probably need to make the enemy pasty white and speak Spanish to avoid the inevitable "teh game is teh most racist thing eva!!11!!!" cries from the media, but that could be done.

I can think of the Witcher 1 and 2

As for suggestions...Icewind Dale? An ACTUAL Icewind Dale game, not like the other one which just ook place in te setting.

kyogen:
The Witcher 1 and 2 are sequels of a sort to a series of novels and short stories by Andrzej Sapkowski.

Ever see the Tv Series? It's not half bad...

Altered Carbon was indeed great. Shame Broken Angels was a betrayal of everything good about it. Also a shame that the author isn't very good outside of that one fantastic novel.

Disagree? COME AT ME BRO

Anyway, I'd like to see a game adaptation of Bruce Sterling's books, like the Ware novels or Schismatrix.

I have to disagree with that. In the universe he's created Broken Angels had a perfectly valid plotline, there were references to the Martians and such all through Altered Carbon. And the final book in the trilogy, Woken Furies, took a step away from how both previous books flowed, I felt a welcome change to so many writers who seem to fall into ruts with continuing storylines.

The Romance of the Three Kingdoms series is based on...Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

The Dynasty Warriors series is also based on the RotTK book.

As for suggestions, I don't really have any...maybe one of Matthew Reilly's "Scarecrow" novels?

ChupathingyX:
The Romance of the Three Kingdoms series is based on...Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

The Dynasty Warriors series is also based on the RotTK book.

As for suggestions, I don't really have any...maybe one of Matthew Reilly's "Scarecrow" novels?

"The Mark" was apparently a rip off of "Scarecrow", which wouldn't be so bad if the gameplay was good (I've only played the demos, but they sucked).

That said, I agree. With the exception of Ice Station, a game based on one of Matthew Reilly's books would be awesome.

I'd like to see the artists journey into insanity and suicide(?) in the album pink moon used for a horror game, something like a cross between alan wake and amnesia. the art would easily be adapted form the album cover and the soudntrack and writing would be imaculate as they would already be done.

also the wheel of time had an old game and has one on the way i think red eagle studios?
arn't there heaps of point and click adventure games based on books (Nancy drew)

Red dead redemption felt like a loose adaptation of Once upon a time in the west.

Metro 2033 was kinda of an adaptation, it was a great game anyway.

dexxyoto:
I have to disagree with that. In the universe he's created Broken Angels had a perfectly valid plotline, there were references to the Martians and such all through Altered Carbon. And the final book in the trilogy, Woken Furies, took a step away from how both previous books flowed, I felt a welcome change to so many writers who seem to fall into ruts with continuing storylines.

My problems with Broken Angels are as follows:

-Kovacs betrays people constantly. For no reason, in many cases. Often, when going along with what somebody is doing would greatly benefit him, he betrays them for no benefit. Even when it's not a matter of ideology, he betrays people for reasons like "I don't like them" when he knows that doing so will put him up against tons of baddies, and NOT doing so will give him exactly what he wants. Altered Carbon Kovacs wasn't this stupid. He didn't just start shooting people because he didn't like them.

-There is no story. This is a book about stuff happening. This is not a novel about an idea, or a character (because kovacs doesn't get character development, and *spoiler* almost everyone dies anyway,) this is a movie about "things that happen" and the characters reacting to them. The spaceship exploration plot is in turns extremely boring (when they're waiting around) and poorly-explained.

-The level of brutality, profanity and sexuality is so over-the-top it enters God of War 2 or Planet Terror levels of loony, comedic farce. Every character is always on the brink of nervous, physical or mental collapse. That's not drama, it's stupid. Kovacs' whole ideology in this movie is stupid, he seems to believe whatever he needs to believe to get to the next scene, regardless of whether this matches with anything in Altered Carbon or even earlier parts of Broken Angels.

-Finally, Morgan's writing style enters "Song of Kali" Simmons-levels of pomp and arrogance. Count how many words he writes compared to how much he's actually saying. If we judge quality in writing as the ability to communicate a great deal effectively, Morgan fails in this respect. Altered Carbon didn't have this problem, imo, but Altered Carbon had a constantly-shifting plot focus, interesting characters and didn't have a bunch of people hanging out on a beach/desert (forget which) for what seems like forever while they try to figure out what to do to move to the Rendezvous with Rama "situation."

If you liked Broken Angels, cool. I didn't, and it made me not want to read the third Kovacs book. Well, that and Market Forces, which is even more ridiculously stupid. Yes, powerful, wealthy men in the future settle disputes in armored cars (but not in, say, tanks that have cannons on them). Yes, this is plausible. >_>

Man, they could totally leave that chapter in. Just remember the torture scene from metal gear solid, then expand than to around 15 hours.

GAMEPLAY AT ITS FINEST.

Samurai Goomba:
Shame Broken Angels was a betrayal of everything good about it.

Yeah, Broken angels was pretty crap. A book where there's no character development, yet simultaneously, nothing fucking happens. The alien lore and stuff was somewhat interesting, but nothing Peter Hamilton doesn't do ten times better anyway. Morgan was better with a tight, focused storyline like in Altered Carbon. Woken Furies was a little better, but I started getting bored and never finished it, so it's still nowhere near as good as the first book.

Edit: Another point about Broken Angels is that Kovac as a character didn't suit the story at all, and really should have had someone else, especially given that its connection to Altered Carbon was tenuous at best. Kovacs works as a hardened bastard when he drives the plot forward, when it's just him dicking around for an entire book he just becomes immensely annoying.

Dynasty Warriors. All seven of them.

TonyCapa:

Ever see the Tv Series? It's not half bad...

Just clips on Youtube. Production values are held back due to limited funding, but it looked like they cast it really well.

You know, I have to agree with the OP. Maybe not a game specifically based on the book, but a game set in the Altered Carbon world would be amazing. It would be sort of like Deus Ex meets L.A. Noire and Mass Effect. At the very least, the stacks would make for a very interesting death mechanic if it could be properly integrated into the story and mission structure. Richard Morgan's other book, The Steel Remains, might also make for a decent game, but then, that would basically just be a darker version of The Witcher with a gay protagonist.

Also, I'm guessing by "certain chapter," you're referring to the sex scene? And that other sex scene? Yeah, those might have to be toned down a little. XD

I din't think a direct adaptation would work very well, but borrowing a book's setting or premise might make for a great game.

I think I might like a game set in the Neverwhere universe.

Or, to be more original, I'd like something that captures the nightmarish mood of Anna Kavan's Ice. Perhaps a TPP adventure game borrowing from Silent Hill 2?

And if comic books count, it would be totally crazy to play a BioWare style RPG based on The Invisibles.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked