What about PS3 players, Bioware?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

As you know, Bioware released Mass Effect 2 on PS3, thus giving PS3 owners the chance to live the Mass Effect experience, and play one of their best games. As a bonus, we got a ton of extras, DLC, and a free Cerberus Network acount to compensate for the one year delay.
"What about ME1?" Someone asked.
"No, Mass Effect 1 wonīt be released" answered Bioware
"So how do you expect us to buy your game and live the full experience if you are denying us the choice of Sheppardīs actions in ME1? It would be rather stupid."
"Well, you can have a free comic book, that will allow you to make the important decisions on ME1"
"Thanks Bioware"

Now we get the news that ME1 will matter to Mass Effect 3, and not just the big stuff, the little ones as well.
The PS3 version assumed that we didnīt do any assigment in the original events, so there are some things missing (I.e. no message related to whatever is the Commanderīs background, many assigments striped, like that one with the fan, Conrad Verner I think, that allowed you to get a discount at a weapons shop at Illium, many characters gone, an asari named Rana something in Korlus, other one in Illium named Shiala, Captain Kirrahe is assumed death no matter wich squadmate you save, and even alter the news a little, the most remarkable being the assumption that we let the biotic attack append in Sirta Fundations headquarters, when we could save it in ME1 with a special assigment, and this stupid list could go on and on)

Not so much of a big deal in 2, because there isnīt really much game impact, but think about the repercutions in ME3. Kirraheīs death must have affected something, seeing is high post in the STG, and things that I canīt even imagine might append.

Bioware should do something. Releasing a patch that assumed that you did the assigments, with the Paragorn/Renegade choices being decided by the choices in the main events, modifing a bit their comic, Mass Effect Genisis, or heck, even going as far as re-releasing ME1 in the PS3. I know me and a big group of PS3 nerds would buy it.

Whatever Bioware decides to do, they should do something.
But now Iīm just talking to much.
So, what do you think it should be done, Escapists?

EDIT: Ok, I know that Microsoft still owns MasS Effect 1, I remembered that the moment I posted this thread, but Iīm gonna stick with the "change a bit the comic" ideia. Like, add Zhuīs Hope, let us choose if Shiala and Rana greenface live or die, and maybe choose whoīs gonna support Kirrahe in Virmire, and he survives if that squad member is saved. I would be willing to pay for that change.

JamesStone:
As you know, Bioware released Mass Effect 2 on PS3, thus giving PS3 owners the chance to live the Mass Effect experience, and play one of their best games. As a bonus, we got a ton of extras, DLC, and a free Cerberus Network acount to compensate for the one year delay.
"So how do you expect us to buy your game and live the full experience if you are denying us the choice of Sheppardīs actions in ME1? It would be rather stupid."
"Well, you can have a free comic book, that will allow you to make the important decisions on ME1"
"Thanks Bioware"

Now we get the news that ME1 will matter to Mass Effect 3, and not just the big stuff, the little ones as well.
The PS3 version assumed that we didnīt do any assigment in the original events, so there are some things missing (I.e. no message related to whatever is the Commanderīs background, many assigments striped, like that one with the fan, Conrad Verner I think, that allowed you to get a discount at a weapons shop at Illium, many characters gone, an asari named Rana something in Korlus, other one in Illium named Shiala, Captain Kirrahe is assumed death no matter wich squadmate you save, and even alter the news a little, the most remarkable being the assumption that we let the biotic attack append in Sirta Fundations headquarters, when we could save it in ME1 with a special assigment, and this stupid list could go on and on)

Not so much of a big deal in 2, because there isnīt really much game impact, but think about the repercutions in ME3. Kirraheīs death must have affected something, seeing is high post in the STG, and things that I canīt even imagine might append.

Bioware should do something. Releasing a patch that assumed that you did the assigments, with the Paragorn/Renegade choices being decided by the choices in the main events, modifing a bit their comic, Mass Effect Genisis, or heck, even going as far as re-releasing ME1 in the PS3. I know me and a big group of PS3 nerds would buy it.

Whatever Bioware decides to do, they should do something, because if they donīt, I will buy Mass Effect 3 for PS3, but pirate it and the other 2 games for PC. But now Iīm just talking to much.

Errrr, you are aware who the publisher of Mass Effect 1 is, right?

Go check out Wikipedia. Then come back. Then we'll talk.

Yes, they could patch EVERY LITTLE THING YOU DID into the game, but I ask you, is that a good use of their time?

Mass Effect 1 on PS3?

Yes I say they should.

Fuck Microsoft.

Thanks for reminding me.

I recently lost all of my Mass Effect 2 playthrough data, and I won't have time to replay the game before ME3 launches.

You know..... if it means that much you could just buy and Xbox 360....

Its easier having all the consoles.

Just get a little overtime at work, Bam! you have an Xbox 360 no more angry posts.

Well let's see. If playing Mass Effect 2 on the PS3 was your first step into the Mass Effect universe, then you won't know what you missed anyway and you shouldn't mind so much.

If you've played Mass Effect 1 before ME2 came out on PS3, then you should have continued that game instead of playing the PS3 one.

If you played ME2 on PS3 and then wanted to go back and play ME1 elsewhere, well... buyer beware or something.

Microsoft has the publishing rights to ME1, so it's not something EA/Bioware can just go do.

I wish they had given us the ability to chose the decisions made in earlier game. Like if Wrex lived or died, whether Ashely or Kaiden died not depending on your characters gender, etc. Also wish that had been in the 360 version too.

Luckily, I have both a 360 and PS3, so I have no real problem.

It'd be pretty kind of Microsoft, that's for sure.

But Sony would have to accept and an agreement on fund sharing.

Plus it's an old game now.

Well, unfortunately, tough shit.

Youre out of luck. Lets hope this massive problem doesnt tear you apart from the inside. I cant even imagine what you must be going through right now.

Delsana:

The point isn't that it's an old game, the point is that a large portion of what makes up the Mass Effect experience is completely missing from the PlayStation 3. I understand why it probably won't happen, but it being an old game simply holds no water.

What they could do is release a utility to patch ME1 saves from PC or 360 to be usable my Mass Effect 2 on PS3, then we won't need a whole new rerelease.

HassEsser:

Delsana:

The point isn't that it's an old game, the point is that a large portion of what makes up the Mass Effect experience is completely missing from the PlayStation 3. I understand why it probably won't happen, but it being an old game simply holds no water.

What they could do is release a utility to patch ME1 saves from PC or 360 to be usable my Mass Effect 2 on PS3, then we won't need a whole new rerelease.

Still waiting for KoTOR I and II on Xbox 360 for Download.

It's unfortunate that Mass Effect wasn't available on the PS3, but the level of entitlement I'm sensing is humorous. I hardly think "anything has to be done". Load your ME2 save or pick another platform.

Most importantly: did this actually come as a surprise to anyone? If so, what in the world were you thinking?

Microsoft has the publishing right to Mass Effect 1.

The PS3 is owned by sony (duh).

It's not going to happen. Ever. Blame the publishers.

I think the reason for why they didn't put ME 1 onto the PS3 was because of the loading times.

Porting it was apparently too hard and the loading times would have been stuffed if they did (it was something really technical.)

JamesStone:
"Thanks Bioware"

Whatever Bioware decides to do, they should do something, because if they donīt, I will buy Mass Effect 3 for PS3, but pirate it and the other 2 games for PC. But now Iīm just talking to much.

Microsoft owns the publishing rights for ME1. Calm down and stop making threats, please. It's melodramatic, and no one responds well to it. I just recently started playing ME2 for the first time, and I wish that I could play ME1 as well, just as I wish there was a party chat or cross-game chat like X-box owners have. But I like my exclusives and my blu-ray player, and I like ME2 just fine without the changes from the first game.

We all know that you and I will both buy ME3, and probably enjoy the Hell out of it. From what they've learned making this trilogy, Bioware will give us PS3 owners something wonderful in the not-too-distant future. So easy, tiger.

Halberd:
I think the reason for why they didn't put ME 1 onto the PS3 was because of the loading times.

Porting it was apparently too hard and the loading times would have been stuffed if they did (it was something really technical.)

You might want to read some of the prior comments.

Frankly I don't really see how, unless they kept all that extra unnecessary data through the ME2 overwrites.

Nor do I really care. But for the sake of argument:

And in other news, Bioware have just announced that the PC version of Mass Effect 3 has been scrapped so that they can concentrate on making the best possible experience on consoles. So any PC gamers out there who have been been saving their Mass Effect 1 and 2 save games can - I'm just wondering how many PC gamers just had a mini heart attack. Sorry guys. I kid.

OT: Obviously the ideal would be for Bioware to release ME1 on PS3, but unfortunately, thats not about to happen in the foreseeable future. They went out their way to (sort of) make it up to PS3 owners by including the interactive comic. ME 3 looks like its shaping up to be an awesome conclusion, so anything which is out of your hands should just be treated as cannon.

You're joining on the third game in a series that started out primarily on other systems, what do you expect?

JamesStone:

You really wanna refrain from advocating piracy.

Second Micro$oft published ME1 so it wasn't Biowares choice not to port it to the PS3.

(Hell Your lucky you even got the comic)

What they need to do is make a new game called Mass Effect: The Beginning or something that's very similar to the first Mass Effect but, you know, different...

Ahh thank you. I really needed a good laugh. Mass Effect 1 on PS3. Yeah, you go talk to Microsoft about that. Im sure they will give up the rights to it, riiiiight after hell freezes over and the Devil hands out snow cones.

Seriously, you got a bunch of extra shit for the PS3 so quit bitchin or come up with a few mil and buy the rights from MS yourself.

JamesStone:
"Thanks Bioware"

ok just to settle one of your fears Kirrahe dies no matter who you save but his squad survives. personally if you care that much go to a pawn shop pick up a 360 for at most $100(or hell but one from gamestop online)and play the first game.

OutrageousEmu:
Thanks for reminding me.

I recently lost all of my Mass Effect 2 playthrough data, and I won't have time to replay the game before ME3 launches.

Uhhh...SIX MONTHS isn't long enough to replay ME2?

P.S. - Totally rad CAPTCHA.

EA published ME1 on the PC, that's not what's stopping them from porting ME1 to the PS3. It's just that, given how much the UE3 tech has changed since ME1 to ME2 (case in point, better cross platform support for UE3), I doubt anyone really wants to spend the time and money and effort to port the older engine version to the PS3 for what looks like not a lot of gain.

Plus a lot of the decisions you're referring to are probably flavour choices to flesh out the setting, they're not grand storyline impacting ones.

apprently mass effect 1 is owned by microsoft so don't get too mad at bioware

You know, the whole idea of another company owning the rights to the first title of a series being an obstacle to incorporating that content later in the series or providing the original title on different platforms really doesn't cut it as an excuse to me.

Think about it. Companies buy and sell properties to each other all the time. Is it really impossible for EA to make a deal with Mircrosoft just to make their own bottom line healthier for the final installment? Is Mircosoft oblivious to the goodwill that would generate on a nice cross section of their own consumer base? Honestly?

It just seems like such a poor excuse to say "we don't own it" as if they've never bought anything before.

Katherine Ciesla:
You know, the whole idea of another company owning the rights to the first title of a series being an obstacle to incorporating that content later in the series or providing the original title on different platforms really doesn't cut it as an excuse to me.

People seem to misinterpret publishing rights (which by all accounts is just a timed exclusive on one platform) vs. the actual IP rights (owned by the studio or publishing company that owns the studio).

JamesStone:

It'd be really nice if you could spoilify your comments, I'm going to be buying Mass Effect for my PS3 but you've just told me some MASSIVE PLOT POINTS!

Thanks for that.

Legion IV:

Just get a little overtime at work, Bam! you have an Xbox 360 no more angry posts.

He seems to know a little bit too much about the story to have not played it before, so chances are he's already got an Xbox360 with ME1

Reaper195:
I wish they had given us the ability to chose the decisions made in earlier game. Like if Wrex lived or died, whether Ashely or Kaiden died not depending on your characters gender, etc.

Um... You did get that choice on the PS3 interactive comic.

I played ME1 on my XBox, but for a host of reasons too dull to go into right now, decided I'd play the rest of the series on my PS3. I knew the drawbacks to this, so it's not as though I made the choice blindly or had it forced on me.

The comic allowed me to choose the origin of my FemShep, plus the outcomes of decisions like Wrex, Virmire and the Rachni Queen, as well as who I romanced (if anyone). Not every minute decision was included, but the big ones were.

(And for the curious, I find XBox controllers too big and awkward for my little girly hands. And whilst the XBox is downstairs, there's PS3's on bigger TVs in the bedroom and computer room, so I prefer to play there. :P So I might miss out a few decisions from my ME1 playthrough. I can deal with it.)

Snake Plissken:

OutrageousEmu:
Thanks for reminding me.

Uhhh...SIX MONTHS isn't long enough to replay ME2?

P.S. - Totally rad CAPTCHA.

Six months in which I will be playing Deus Ex, Uncharted 3, Arkham City, Skyrim, Saints Row the Third, Resistane 3, Disgea 4, Lonesome Road, MGS HD Collection, Festicval of Blood, The Darkness 2, Resident Evil HD Collection....

you know Im really not sure what to do for ME3

on one hand I prefer it on the PC (as ive played both on PC)

BUT I dont have access to DLC on PC...I DO however with the PS3 and I do plan on getting the PS3 version eventually for the DLC

....Ill probably end up getting both for thease reasons

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
Well, unfortunately, tough shit.

Youre out of luck. Lets hope this massive problem doesnt tear you apart from the inside. I cant even imagine what you must be going through right now.

Thanks for your solidarity, Iīm now taking lots of sleeping pills because of that, and itīs Always good to know that someone cares.

ColdStorage:

JamesStone:

It'd be really nice if you could spoilify your comments, I'm going to be buying Mass Effect for my PS3 but you've just told me some MASSIVE PLOT POINTS!

Thanks for that.

Legion IV:

He seems to know a little bit too much about the story to have not played it before, so chances are he's already got an Xbox360 with ME1

Sorry for that, it really wasnīt my intention to spoil anything, I just though that it wasnīt such a big deal, I didnīt reveal anything important besides one or two planets and the extras that you recieved when you buy the game. Sorry if it ruins something for you (Sincerity).

But no, I just own a PS3, but when I was playing, I see characters mentioning guys I donīt know (Kirrahe for example), so I decided to check it out on Mass Effect Wikia. There I saw it then a bunch of assignments that you could only gain if you did something in the previous game, and I've a pretty good memory.

ecoho:

JamesStone:
"Thanks Bioware"

ok just to settle one of your fears Kirrahe dies no matter who you save but his squad survives. personally if you care that much go to a pawn shop pick up a 360 for at most $100(or hell but one from gamestop online)and play the first game.

But if you go see the ME wikia, you see that they say:"Kirrahe will appear in Mass Effect 3 provided he survived the events of Mass Effect 1."
Not only that but I have a friend that is in America that says that he saved Kirrahe in is Mass Effect game, so thatīs why I was intriged.

I have the first on PC, and the second on PS3, so I was a little annoyed that some of my choices didn't affect ME2, but you honestly aren't missing that much of the story. You miss two encounters with people in the second game (Conrad Verner, Gianna Parasini, a woman whose name I forget, and a meeting with Shiala [a mission you get from another person, regardless] if you want to youtube it. None are true 'missions' just dialogue.) The motion comic doesn't do a great job of summarizing the story, but an adequet one. All the 'major' changes are covered in the motion comic, save saving two people, and meeting another two.

I say that they add a mode to ME3 in the PS3 version that allows you to set up a ME1 playthrough, with all the changes in it. Though I may as well ask them to turn the Reapers into fluffy bunnies for the good it'll do.

@Above: Oh, balls. I didn't know he could survive, I thought he and his team always ended up dying. Seems my 'perfect' playthrough is a little lacking.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here