male gamers who create female characters, explain yourselves

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 17 NEXT

no i'm not confronting you, i too prefer female characters in games where you can make your own protagonist. i am a bit of a nerd and find it easy to roleplay, that is, lose myself in a fictional setting. so it's partly because i'm a man in real life, so why drag that into my role playing when i have the option to try out the otherside of the chromosome (okay, "roleplaying" is swiftly becoming the wronge choice of word here...) and i won't deny it's also partly because, well... i like girls.
femshepards armour is way better than male shepard's armour. why? cuz i can see femshepards bum!
so people? if your male and often favour the female option, why is that? don't be shy.

The usual reason - I get to watch a woman's butt instead of a man's. Really. That's all the reason I need. I hit the "Female" - button instead of the "Male" - button when the game tells me to. Same effort, more enjoyable result. It's a no-brainer.

busterkeatonrules:
The usual reason - I get to watch a woman's butt instead of a man's. Really. That's all the reason I need. I hit the "Female" - button instead of the "Male" - button when the game tells me to. Same effort, more enjoyable result. It's a no-brainer.

Yep, I like the female body more than the male. Simple really.

I generally roll a woman because I like the extra distance from the character.

I also like the range of female clothing better in games and I find it easier to make a pretty mage.

Generic Gamer:
I generally roll a woman because I like the extra distance from the character.

I also like the range of female clothing better in games and I find it easier to make a pretty mage.

the extra distance from the character... that's interesting. that sums up much better the reason of wanting to try a new experience, that is, a female one.

i think fallout 3 was the only female option a played and finished. i guess a female protagonist just gave more weight to the world, it felt like a richer gaming experience than the male option. I've since tried it other times and found it not quite as compelling. I tried a female character in fable two and that was alright but it didn't feel any different and the fable 3 female character seemed a shallower experience. so if there's an option i try both to see which is more compelling. Like in dragon age origins the female slum elf was very compelling because it was interesting, male slum elf not so much.

To look at dat ass!!

but i have the rest of the internets for that so i usually go a guy, make me feel more immersed in the game personally if im the one holding a 10mm pistol to a beggars face =]

busterkeatonrules:

Yeah, that's basically the reason. If I'm going to look at my character for 100+ hours, I want to get some enjoyment out of it. It also helps get in character when choosing something completely different than my real self, although oddly enough most of my female characters are lesbians... Go figure.

There's the ass argument again. I don't get it. I don't find my gaze unintentionally fixed to Shepards male ass while playing Mass Effect. And I certainly don't think "Why is there nothing here I can masturbate to?"

Female characters tend to be smaller. I like playing a small characer.

Female characters also tend to have a ponytail as option for hairstyle, while male characters frequently don't. I like ponytals.

Those are two of my main reasons.

I find it easier to get involved with a character's story, and come up with a backstory if necessary, if the character in question is female. It doesn't work out as easily for male characters. Weird...

The whole aesthetics issue (ie: "If I'm going to be staring at an arse for X-hours...) doesn't affect me.

While I don't prefer female characters, I almost always end up making one eventually. I find it much easier to disconnect myself from a female avatar.

When playing as a male avatar, I almost always project myself through them. Even if I make a middle aged heavily scarred black man, I still project my own personality into them and it can be difficult to do especially evil things. I keep thinking "What would I do?"

But when playing as a female, I feel much more disconnected from my avatar, and feels as if she is her own character who makes her own decisions. In this case, it's much easier for me to think "What would SHE do?"
Especially in the case of ME2. It felt much more natural being a femshep renegade. Once you become especially corrupt and evil looking, it is quite a frightening look on a femshep

Most of the time we're forced to play as a male character. When I play a female character it's simply for a refreshing change of pace.

I'll only play as a female is the male character model looks like ass.

itchcrotch:
no i'm not confronting you, i too prefer female characters in games where you can make your own protagonist. i am a bit of a nerd and find it easy to roleplay, that is, lose myself in a fictional setting. so it's partly because i'm a man in real life, so why drag that into my role playing when i have the option to try out the otherside of the chromosome (okay, "roleplaying" is swiftly becoming the wronge choice of word here...) and i won't deny it's also partly because, well... i like girls.
femshepards armour is way better than male shepard's armour. why? cuz i can see femshepards bum!
so people? if your male and often favour the female option, why is that? don't be shy.

Hmmm, well to be honest there are a lot of "reasons". Oddly I had a substantial conversation about this a couple nights ago with someone called Felishia (a girl IRL apparently) while playing a female character in SWG, I'm pretty up front about being a guy IRL.

In the end it comes down to some people thinking it's strange, other people don't. What's more I think there is a tendency to overlook the number of women who play male characters who are not homosexual or "afraid of guys hitting on them" or whatever other common stereotypes. I say this because I met some in WoW. Sometime take a look at the number of players in your typical MMO, and the actual statistics compiled on the number of girls playing the game. Look at the number of female models, and consider that everyone knows a decent number of them are guys... then consider the number of male models... then think about the numbers.

I think people like to bring this up as a form of trolling nowadays, some people might "wonder" about this, but truthfully I don't think that's likely in most cases. I say this because this whole "issue" has been brought up so many times in game forums, media, and even a few magazines over the years, that there is nothing really to be said about it and anyone who is really "interested" could find plenty of stuff about it without having to "ask" on a forum or whatever. I think the idea is to see guys get defensive about it for lulz. Especially seeing as nowadays I think most people who know enough about gaming to have made note of this (ie logged into an MMO and gotten to know enough people well enough to know their real genders and such) will have also noticed it goes both ways and so on.

Honestly, as this has come up a number of times on The Escapist and always tends to result in the same discussion, I think it should be a banned topic, simply because I think it's only to rile people.

The big reason why you don't see more topics of "so hey ladies, why do you play male characters" is just that the lady gamers aren't as easy to rile and render defensive about it.

In my case I'm not gay (and confident enough in my sexuality to not really care what other people might think), have my reasons, and feel no real need to justify myself in having characters of both genders. I'm mostly responding to write a really long post that amounts to "Troll is obvious".

In games like fallout new vegas or mass effect I play a male character first then a female character in case there are any notable differences. Not as much in mass effect but there were a few in New vegas. On my female playthrough I didn't kill Vulpes Inculta after giving me the mark of Ceaser so i actaully went to the camp unlike in my male playthrough I just killed all legion and didn't know I could take the raft to fortification hill. Anyway I asked as a female character if i could fight in the arena and the arena..guy said no. I was actually offended and seeing his haed fly through the air felt pretty good. Of course that's Ceasers Legion for you.

I don't need to explain myself to you.

Anyway, I find it really weird when my avatar is some muscley bald guy. It's really not me. I generally, err... identify more with female avatars.

Brb, gotta call my psychiatrist.

Most games that let you create a character also have replay value through choices made and my first character is always my projected self (male avatar choosing all the goody two shoes options as I am an optimistic pacifist IRL).
But (assuming you enjoy the game) you have to see the other side of the choices so for that I choose a female avatar because it gives the playthrough more variety.

I also believe that women are, on average, more pragmatic than men and as such more suited to morally neutral or evil characters.

Just to clarify for any potential feminists; I do not believe women are more amoral than men, just that in the event of fictional extremes, they would be more capable of doing what needed to be done.

the only time i've really done this was with mass effect 2, because it said in the loading screens that playing as femshep would give you a different experience than playing as manshep.

If I have to view the posterior of the character I am playing as, it might as well be that of the sex I'd like to sex.

itchcrotch:

OHMYGOD! Hi Sam! It's Amy :D
Also, If I was a guy, I'd still play female characters so I could look at their butttts :D

I always play female when it's possible. For some reason, if I play as a male, I feel like I'm playing a character. But with a female, it feels more like I'm playing a person. When making a choice in a game, if I'm playing as a female, I'm making the choce. If I play as a male, it's my character who's choosing what to do. Does that make sense? I'm not even sure myself.

Weird thing is, I choose female even when it doesn't have any effect on anything. And I don't mean something like it only changes the model, many games do that. For example in The Dark Spire, all the characters are just stats with names. They don't even have a portrait, and the game doesn't say if they're male or female. And I still made an all female party, meaning that I gave them female names.

Turigamot:
If I have to view the posterior of the character I am playing as, it might as well be that of the sex I'd like to sex.

Pretty much this, FemHawke's butt has been sashaying on my screen for many many hours... also her voice acting doesn't piss me off as much. The voice actress for FemHawke quite aptly voiced Little Miss Naughty in the Mr Men cartoon XD

I don't usually play as as a female character, but I started a FemShep on ME1, which I carried over to ME2 recently. Mainly just to see if there were any big differences. So far: Kaiden does all the stuff that Ashely usually does in ME1, some minor characters have tried to hit on me. That's about it. OH! And for some reason, at the beginning of Kasumi's DLC mission, the camera kept focusing directly on Shepard's tits. I have no idea why.

Turigamot:

Brilliantly put.

In some games, because it makes a much better story (eg, Fallout 3). Other times, it's more of a mixture, but I tend towards female characters for the same reason I tend towards the non-human options if given a choice : it's different.

Therumancer:

itchcrotch:

Hmmm, well to be honest there are a lot of "reasons". Oddly I had a substantial conversation about this a couple nights ago with someone called Felishia (a girl IRL apparently) while playing a female character in SWG, I'm pretty up front about being a guy IRL.

In the end it comes down to some people thinking it's strange, other people don't. What's more I think there is a tendency to overlook the number of women who play male characters who are not homosexual or "afraid of guys hitting on them" or whatever other common stereotypes. I say this because I met some in WoW. Sometime take a look at the number of players in your typical MMO, and the actual statistics compiled on the number of girls playing the game. Look at the number of female models, and consider that everyone knows a decent number of them are guys... then consider the number of male models... then think about the numbers.

I think people like to bring this up as a form of trolling nowadays, some people might "wonder" about this, but truthfully I don't think that's likely in most cases. I say this because this whole "issue" has been brought up so many times in game forums, media, and even a few magazines over the years, that there is nothing really to be said about it and anyone who is really "interested" could find plenty of stuff about it without having to "ask" on a forum or whatever. I think the idea is to see guys get defensive about it for lulz. Especially seeing as nowadays I think most people who know enough about gaming to have made note of this (ie logged into an MMO and gotten to know enough people well enough to know their real genders and such) will have also noticed it goes both ways and so on.

Honestly, as this has come up a number of times on The Escapist and always tends to result in the same discussion, I think it should be a banned topic, simply because I think it's only to rile people.

The big reason why you don't see more topics of "so hey ladies, why do you play male characters" is just that the lady gamers aren't as easy to rile and render defensive about it.

In my case I'm not gay (and confident enough in my sexuality to not really care what other people might think), have my reasons, and feel no real need to justify myself in having characters of both genders. I'm mostly responding to write a really long post that amounts to "Troll is obvious".

Ah yeah. I wonder why guys don't ask female gamers why they play as males? It's the same thing really.
OK so I am not a guy, but I may as well put my perspective across since it was mentioned.

Truth be told, I don't really like playing as a female most of the time. I find that a lot of female characters are sexed up and have no personality, you can tell they are targeted towards males. I also tend to like male characters a lot more easily, or characters that display male tendencies/look male (Legion is my fave party member to take with me on ME2). I can get soft spots for them lol. I find it hard to do that with females. Idk why.

And also, it's a bonus if the character is attractive lol.

I don't really see a problem with guys playing as girls. I mean, when I was a kid I played as a purple dragon and I was totally fine with it. What you choose to play as doesn't mean a thing. It's roleplaying.

EDIT: Oh yes, and I know this may seem shallow or something (although I don't think so), but I prefer to play as males and females who are either cool looking or just generally attractive in some way. I don't pick the ugly looking characters... <.< I just prefer my characters to look good, since I am playing as them....

maybe that is shallow...

Id rather watch a female running around than a male.

I'm female and I'm trying to look at this from the flipside. I almost never play male characters in game if I can avoid it, oddly enough. It may be because I relish the opportunity to play as a female when I get it, but I get the feeling it's mostly about the male customization options. Shallowly enough, I usually choose women because they have more interesting clothes, face and hair options than men. What can I say, I like to play dolly dress up.

Also, FemSheps voice is sooooo amazing.

But it's interesting to see the male perspective, especially those that aren't "Hurr hurr nice ass."

I still don't see why people feel the need to actually stare at their character's ass. Are your eyes like, magically drawn to it the entire time you're playing? If you're a straight guy, and you find yourself unable to keep from looking at your male character's ass... I got some bad news for you.

As for me, I usually just play female when a class is gender-locked, or to get free stuff from other guy players. Seriously, they see virtual tits and they're all over you.

I just prefer it... Maybe because I like strong Women. Haven't really thought about it to be honest, I just select the Female option automatically.

I usually play a male character on my first run, then on my second run I choose female to get a new perspective on the game.

Male protagonist is forced in all other games.
I usually go for a class that is more agile or smart based, like a ranger or mage. But all (or most) male option looks like a steroid gorilla and would ruin the whole agile or intelligent part of it.
But most of the time I just go with whatever feels better in terms of combat animation, which is what you will see most of the time in the game anyway.
Some RPG's also gives you a hidden bonus if you take the female sex due to the sex appeal (Fallout 3 with the black widow perk for example), sure the male counterpart probably have the same but to a lesser extent/less useful.

Nudu:
There's the ass argument again. I don't get it. I don't find my gaze unintentionally fixed to Shepards male ass while playing Mass Effect. And I certainly don't think "Why is there nothing here I can masturbate to?"

As far as I understand it's about how much distance you place between you and the character.

Those who place themselves into their avatar are so connected to it that it becomes a 2nd skin and they dont notice their ass since its "themselves" whereas those who distance themselves from their avatar feel they really are controlling another person entirely, which makes it easier for roleplay i guess, but then the butt issue arises since you're staring at someone else's derriere rather then your own, hence the "id rather stare at a womans derriere then a mans" line.

Two reasons. Firstly, I am attracted to women, (And men, but women more so.) and secondly, it gives me a larger sense of distance from the inevitable murderer that my characters all end up being. I know, I know, but in most games there is combat anyway, so I put everything into either combat, or running like Satan is chasing me. And when they break out the ranged weapons, I get in trouble. And after a point, (usually when I get to little sleep) I get bored and feel indestructible, and start to murder people for their house keys, and not just pick the lock.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 17 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked