male gamers who create female characters, explain yourselves

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . . . 17 NEXT

I play as a male (I am male) but I sometimes play as a female for my evil playthroughs it helps me to take a step away from them and play out of character.

Nudu:
There's the ass argument again. I don't get it. I don't find my gaze unintentionally fixed to Shepards male ass while playing Mass Effect. And I certainly don't think "Why is there nothing here I can masturbate to?"

This is exactly how I feel when I see that argument too. Still, got nothing against males who play female characters, it's just not my thing.

ryo02:
I play as a male (I am male) but I sometimes play as a female for my evil playthroughs it helps me to take a step away from them and play out of character.

Why would you play out of character? totally kills the inmersion.

Protip: choosing evil option in a videogame isn't gonna transform you into Lucifer

busterkeatonrules:
The usual reason - I get to watch a woman's butt instead of a man's. Really. That's all the reason I need. I hit the "Female" - button instead of the "Male" - button when the game tells me to. Same effort, more enjoyable result. It's a no-brainer.

This. The only time I play a Male is when there is romance options as I find playing a Homosexual, not fun.

Savagezion:
Distancing yourself from your avatar makes many games gain a little more individualization. If you put yourself into your avatar, you aren't having to put much thought into "What would my character do?" Because you are your character and the answer you prefer will probably jump out at you without much thought usually. I know it does for me. I think playing yourself takes roleplay out in a sense that "roleplaying yourself" isn't really roleplay as much as roleplaying a character other than yourself.

Agreed, I've often had this problem when playing male characters in some rpgs/mmos where your character is a pure blank slate and without any defining characteristics given I usually just lazily copy paste my own personality and set context suitable aspirations onto the guy.

Conversely, I tend to find it difficult to play female characters in most game, I find it places too much distance despite making it easier for rp and find it really hard to relate to women in most games due to a tendency of female characters being "guy with bewbs", with the odd exception.

It's not enough for my character to simply be female, game has to respond and treat me as such otherwise I will tire of the character quickly and yearn to be a "steroid beefed gorilla" as some here put it, i'd rather something a bit skinner but given the choice between the 2 extremes i'd rather go for the one i wish i was xD

But there is one game i played in particular which really opened my eyes to the roleplay possibilities of playing a female when its done right, twas a mod for neverwinter nights called "a dance with thieves" which could only be played as a female protagonist and the story and events really emphasized the gender differences that made roleplaying this character a real joy and a unique experience.

It's also worth noting that this being NWN, there was no ass staring that factored into my enjoyment of this character ^^ Actually come to think of it, this might be why i avoid female characters in mmos and 3rd person games where the ass is an issue: if i see a sexy female ass, i find it weird and it "stands out" for me, I take way more notice of it. But when I play a guy i don't notice there's an ass at all, I just look at the overall avatar and the cool heavy armor he has (i'm a heavy armor whore in most games)

busterkeatonrules:
The usual reason - I get to watch a woman's butt instead of a man's. Really. That's all the reason I need. I hit the "Female" - button instead of the "Male" - button when the game tells me to. Same effort, more enjoyable result. It's a no-brainer.

This. The only time I play a Male is when there is romance options as I find playing a Homosexual, not fun.

itchcrotch:
no i'm not confronting you, i too prefer female characters in games where you can make your own protagonist. i am a bit of a nerd and find it easy to roleplay, that is, lose myself in a fictional setting. so it's partly because i'm a man in real life, so why drag that into my role playing when i have the option to try out the otherside of the chromosome (okay, "roleplaying" is swiftly becoming the wronge choice of word here...) and i won't deny it's also partly because, well... i like girls.

Right, uhh...I've got this strange feeling that you're 'that guy' in any given D&D session. 'That guy' is the one who always insists on playing as a female character and inevitably tries to solve any confrontation with seduction.

Look, mate, that isn't ideal roleplaying. The goal is to actually try and take on the identity of the character you create. From your description, you're 'roleplaying' in the same sense that a guy wearing a George Bush Halloween mask and hooting like a monkey is roleplaying as the Commander in Chief.

itchcrotch:
femshepards armour is way better than male shepard's armour. why? cuz i can see femshepards bum!

...well, I guess that's QED.

itchcrotch:
so people? if your male and often favour the female option, why is that? don't be shy.

If I've the option to play as male or female, I pretty much always go male first. Subsequent playthroughs, however, might include playing as a female character, simply because that's why I play the game multiple times. You used ME2 as an example, so I'll work off that. For my first playthrough, I was a male Paragon Vanguard. For my second, I went female Renegade Soldier. Since it's the most obvious difference between either runthrough, the romances can't go unmentioned, and it's genuinely interesting to watch them unfold. For male Varagon, I went for Jack, and for female Senegade, I went for Garrus, and each romance was unique and compelling.

So yeah. If I play a female character in an RPG, it's usually for reasons other than being able to see her butt.

It's just more fun to subvert the titanic mantle of the adventure hero. And it's quite fun to role play, and share the perspective of your character.

'Cos I could.

Ok. Ok. I'm a Feminist. That's what Feminists do, right? No? Shit...

Right. Because women are easier on the eye than men? That one I can stand for. The only problem is when games try to pair me up with other men. Or in the case of online games when other male players try to pair themselves with me. _

I'd say I play male and female pretty evenly. And in many games I try to play as both for the sake or trying it out. Sometimes games have a noticeable difference between genders - something I appreciate because in the real world your gender will play a huge part in how events unfold.

What more do you want from me?!

I like to stare at women and it's generally more realistic for an assassin to be small and light, rather than the human tanks all male characters are.

sergnb:

James Crook:
I have never tried playing as a female character before, but now that I've read through this thread I think I'm going to consider trying it.
However, in nearly all of my RPG experiences where I can customize my character, I make a more than six feet tall African-american player character that has a striking resemblance to Will Smith, including the moustache.
So, in your opinion, fellow Escapians, should I try a female character?

No. Having Will Smith as the main hero of your adventures is perfectly fine as it is.

I do it too.

Okay then. My Skyrim character will be named "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air".

sergnb:

ryo02:

Protip: choosing evil option in a videogame isn't gonna transform you into Lucifer

it simply makes it easier to play a role (evil role) instead of playing myself Ill still be in character with the evil play through it will just be a different character than I normally play.

The non-aesthetic reasons would be because it's refreshing to have a female lead in these stories. I especially like in ME how it's just accepted that it could just as easily be a woman doing all this as a man. Yet there's still small, subtle lines of dialogue that hint a lot of the other races are surprised a woman could do all this.

However it is mainly the aesthetic reasons. The female form is just far sleeker and just looks more dynamic. I can't stand big bulky characters lumbering around on-screen. In fact, that's my only issue with Batman: AA, the Batman character model. Looks a bit too 'roid-rage-Refield' for my liking. Hence, I'm very much looking forward to the Catwoman sections in AC. So like most of you, yes I just prefer looking at women but it's not for any sexual reasons. They just have the cooler of the two gender's forms.

It can come down to costume though. Generally if I have a choice in how a character dresses (of either gender) they'll usually end up looking like Albert Wesker or at the very least a duster coat. Then you have GoW3, apparently one of the people in those promo-shots is a woman? Jesus...

Explain? Gladly
Let's say I'm starting a new char on an MMO or an RPG. Generally speaking, we're talking 50+ hours of time. I'd rather spend that time staring at an attractive female's ass than watching a chunk of man-meat hobble around on screen.
Just personal preference though.

Also, in most fantasy themed games, male armor is most often a chunk of metal with little extras. Female armor is always a bit prettier

Well I only did it once (on Dragon Age II), one reason was that I hated the male voice actor, but the main reason was that because there was a barrier between me and the character, I could role-play as the character, rather than just automatically do whatever I'd do, through doing this I was able to create a character who I actually liked as a person.

itchcrotch:

so people? if your male and often favour the female option, why is that? don't be shy.

If ever given the option I rarely choose a character who looks anything like myself.

I never play humans unless I'm forced to. That said, why do I prefer female main characters over male ones?

I'm not an elf, I'm not a wizard, I'm not a Spess Marine, I'm not a vampire, I'm not a dinosaur, I'm not a secret agent foiling a world conspiracy.. I am none of those things and far more, yet I have enjoyed stories that have been told to me from those perspectives. By learning things about them I have learned things about myself. So, Why Not a woman?

Simple, really:

I choose on a whim what sex I want my characters to be, although having something easy on the eye is always nice.
Although for SW:ToR I'm rolling male imperial agent, and am going to make him a fat bastard. Because it amuses me.

Escapism. The majority of the games out there are almost always sausagefests, so actually playing a female character (regardless of your actual gender) is a very needed respite.

Nudu:
There's the ass argument again. I don't get it. I don't find my gaze unintentionally fixed to Shepards male ass while playing Mass Effect. And I certainly don't think "Why is there nothing here I can masturbate to?"

What is wrong with you?

OT: Kinda only do it for the trophies, I'm not about to make the hero of ferelden make out with another dude. It's a role playing game and since I'm the character not really comfortable making out with another dude.

Similar to OP:

I find it easier to roleplay with a female character, as i tend to put too much of my own persona into my male characters.

And, obviously, it's much nicer to spend 40+ hours watching the swaying hips and bum of a female, and dress her up in interesting new outfits, than with a male.

sergnb:

ryo02:

No, but it's proven that being more evil means you're a woman. Not sure which causes which. :D

I don't know if it makes me hateful, but playing as a woman, if you don't actually want to be a woman, seems weird to me. Maybe it's just the immersion thing in some cases, but even playing Halo multiplayer I run into someone with a female model and a dude's voice calling me a fag. I was so confused, I couldn't have trash-talked back if I wanted to.

I would rather look at a broad other than a dude.

Habit from my youth. Female characters (e.g. Tyris Flare from Golden Axe) were usually faster, though weaker - a balance I preferred in games. These days I gladly jump on the band wagon that says a female voice and bum are better. After all I have to hear and see them 90% of the experience.

In Oblivion I play like to play as a cat person, do I need to explain that too?

Because I like lookin at ladies.

James Crook:

sergnb:

James Crook:
I have never tried playing as a female character before, but now that I've read through this thread I think I'm going to consider trying it.
However, in nearly all of my RPG experiences where I can customize my character, I make a more than six feet tall African-american player character that has a striking resemblance to Will Smith, including the moustache.
So, in your opinion, fellow Escapians, should I try a female character?

No. Having Will Smith as the main hero of your adventures is perfectly fine as it is.

I do it too.

Okay then. My Skyrim character will be named "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air".

Fresh Redguard of Bel-Air, that is.

Frankster:

Nudu:

As far as I understand it's about how much distance you place between you and the character.

Those who place themselves into their avatar are so connected to it that it becomes a 2nd skin and they dont notice their ass since its "themselves" whereas those who distance themselves from their avatar feel they really are controlling another person entirely, which makes it easier for roleplay i guess, but then the butt issue arises since you're staring at someone else's derriere rather then your own, hence the "id rather stare at a womans derriere then a mans" line.

Interesting, and probably very accurate description of the different approaches. I'm personally part of the second type, but I do understand how someone would be part of the first.

Maybe I've played far too many games where the avatar is a fully-realised character with a story and background, for me to be able to see my avatar as myself now that I play more western RPGs (JRPGs are another good example of games where you are told who the hero is, rather than give you an opportunity to make that up for yourself).

It's because I idolize women, generally. Maybe it's because I was raised mostly by my mother. Perhaps it's because an overwhelming majority of my male authority and parental figures (step dads and whatnot) were generally all asshats and douchebags. Maybe it's because the image of overly-muscled, grizzled men makes me think more of bullies, homophobes, and racist f*cks. Perhaps it's because I'm oversexed and, when I get horny, I'd rather have the option of just playing my game a bit longer and looking at the rump of my female character (anything to postpone the inevitable masturbation a bit).

Who exactly knows?

I think the greater question is, why does it matter? Why do those who don't play female characters have issues with it? Why do those who choose to play as female characters need to find a qualified reason to do so? The only real issue with it is that people make an issue of it.

I just make characters, my main is almost always male but occasionally i'll have a female character when I think it fits best, thing like Rangers or Healers for instance are classes i'd usually reserve for my female characters.

I tend to play as a male character the first time I go through a game. If I like the game enough to play it again I'll often make a female character but it really depends. In games where certain classes are gender locked I'll almost always be a male character because usually they're more geared toward how I like to play, which is as a tank. In things like RPGs where you choose your party members it's usually a sausage festival as well in my games. Sometimes because it feels like the writing in those especially is horrible for the female characters (it's bad for the men as well they're just more likeable stereotypes). Also because the male characters are less likely to be mages and there are usually limits on casting spells so I tend to go for the characters that can most consistently deal damage.

That said in Mass Effect I'm always female Shepard. My first play through of that I picked male and my girlfriend was femshep. I didn't know how lifeless male Shepard was till I saw the other.

Well in Dragon Age 2 male Hawke's voice acting was bloody awful.

Initially my reasons were pretty simple, back in the day there was a game called Fallout, you may have heard of it. Fallout gave you the option of creating your own custom character, a first for me at the time, initially I created a male char and got killed by rats. This happened 2 or 3 times. I then created a female avatar, I didnt die until I hit my first supermutant. I've created female Avatars ever since.

Occasionally I try to create male Avatars, I tried in ME and ME2 but I can't stand stand M!shep, he sounds like a douche while Fem!shep sounds like a badass (theres also the aspect that she's a mother-protector figure to her crew and the galaxy at large which doesnt really work for a guy).

I've also found that female chars tend to get more interesting clothes than male chars, from my perspective, a guy's options are pretty much suit, platemail or jeans and tee-shirt.

I think that I'm not the only person who bought Mass Effect and played it as a woman to see Liara's side boob.

Well mostly it's because I'm a guy in real life and my life kinda blows, so it stands to reason that if I want a fake like to not blow I'm going to have to change something up in the formula.

Obviously a fullon different gender complete with boobies and reversed plumbing is about the biggest change I can make to get the furthest from real life.

busterkeatonrules:

This is more or less the same reason I play female. Of course, there are cases (like Borderlands) where a female characters skill just appeals to my style of play as well.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . . . 17 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here