male gamers who create female characters, explain yourselves

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 17 NEXT

I'd rather look at a chick all day than a dude, plus I get to immerse myself as a chick, which is something kind of controversial to do IRL. So I guess, chicks are hotter and I like to maximize the experience of games.

I'd rather look at T&A for 10 hours or however long said game lasts, simple as that.

Take guild wars for an exsample.
The male monk looks horrible, so I made a female monk.
The male ranger looks good, so I made male ranger.
I use this with voice acting also.
It comes do to my own preferance on which gender suits the class better or voice is more fitting.

Nudu:
There's the ass argument again. I don't get it. I don't find my gaze unintentionally fixed to Shepards male ass while playing Mass Effect. And I certainly don't think "Why is there nothing here I can masturbate to?"

well said!

While some games allow you to have different experiences during gameplay based on what gender you chose for your character, the majority basically don't. Male or female, the game plays the same from start to finish. So while I will play as both a man and a woman in the games that give me a reason to play through with each gender (to see what happens namely), the rest of the games have a very straight forward reason for going with one gender over another.

As others have said, having the female form walking and running in front of me for a 10-50 hour game is a more pleasant sight to me. There's no deep psychological aspect to it, it's simply a matter of enjoying the visual appeal of the female body as I play, customize, and so forth. After all, you're going to be seeing that character a lot, so why not have it be a character that's nice to look at?

For me it's not the ass or the "sex I'd like to sex" argument. I just have always liked playing as a woman. That and I tend to play more sarcastic or evil in games and when you play as a guy you sound like a tool but when you play as a girl you sound bitchy and sassy. It's more my style.

My first playthrough in any game that lets me choose would be as a guy. I normally don't identify AT ALL with a video game character, but it feels more natural.

On a second or third playthrough I will sometimes play a woman to mix it up. But I tend to spend sooo much time on one playthrough that seconds are really rare. In fact, so far I've only done it in Dragon Age: Origins and the first Mass Effect.

I have gender identity syndrome. It's like being a lesbian with a man's body. Pretty sweet deal actually! Wait. Did I just post that to the whole world? :S

To borrow the Matt Wiggins defence. (That is he said it in One pod-cast)

"If I have to stare at something ass for twenty plus hours I'm going to make it something interesting."

To mix it up, I don't want all my characters to be male that's a bit bland.

In Oblivion, I believe female High Elves started off with higher willpower, which is beneficial when trying to make a mage.

Tends to all come down to a roleplay perspective, In RPG's where character choice and creation is a big part of the game, if I feel the story I have in mind would suit a female character I go for it, its why I went for a fem shepard first play through (and her voice acting is better but thats beside the point) but can have a story that just as easily is fit for a male character, no real deep meaning just comes down to what I want to experience and when, its why I've done multiple playthroughs of many RPG's.

Oh and sometimes if its a "new feature" in the series, for example in Pokemon Gold/Silver when those first came out waaaaay back when, being a female character was a new feature, so I thought why not!

well in Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines it was easier to finish the game with a female character since you could persuade NPCs most of the time...

I view playing a female character in a game like watching a movie staring a woman. Their has never, ever been a game where I felt I WAS the character or that the character represented me, even in rpgs.

Instead when I play games I view who I play as, as being the lead character of a story that I am viewing and manipulatiing. I'm not them, I'm simply directing and controlling them. What I am when I play a game is an elaborate influence on the mind of that character, not the character itself.

And therefor since 80-90% of games star bland cliche male characters whenever I am given the opportunity to be female I take advantage of it because more often than not it at least gives me a more unique experience.

My commander Shepard in Mass Effect is female, not because I want to stare at her ass, but because I wanted my Shepard to be a female bad ass instead of just another male one.

I've only ever done this once in Pokémon Platinum.
I already played through Diamond and seeing as both games are remarkably similar playing as a different character would make it at least seem like I was playing a different game. Also the male character's hat/face annoyed me.

I find it fun to play as a female character.

I have a system that with any game where there is an option to be male or female I always alternate between the two to keep things interesting, so if I was female when I last played Mass Effect I'm now male in the next game I play, then back to female and so on and so forth. I just like to change it up :D

1. I like to mix things up, mostly because most protagonists are male.

2.To see if anything is different (like dialogue) for female characters.

In Guild Wars, I always went to the wiki to study the armors for the class I was planning to start. Then I settled on an armor I was going to get, and consequently, the sex of my char.
In other games, it's about 50/50. I don't really pay attention to that stuff.

In which game do you go to choose your character? I've played games all my life but can't think of one game when i was ever presented with a choice to choose the sex of the protagonist.

Tohuvabohu:
While I don't prefer female characters, I almost always end up making one eventually. I find it much easier to disconnect myself from a female avatar.

When playing as a male avatar, I almost always project myself through them. Even if I make a middle aged heavily scarred black man, I still project my own personality into them and it can be difficult to do especially evil things. I keep thinking "What would I do?"

But when playing as a female, I feel much more disconnected from my avatar, and feels as if she is her own character who makes her own decisions. In this case, it's much easier for me to think "What would SHE do?"
Especially in the case of ME2. It felt much more natural being a femshep renegade. Once you become especially corrupt and evil looking, it is quite a frightening look on a femshep

I found the same thing playing Fallout. I felt pretty ashamed when I blew Megaton up as a bloke, but when I was a woman I was like; "BOOM! 500 caps heading my way!"

Partially because I prefer the way they look. They tend to be more slender. And also because I like women not acting stereotypically feminine. And my characters are kinda crazy murderous types a lot of the time so... >=D

I like female Shepard better.

For me it comes down to the character model and if it is an mmo, something I find, my fellow nerds like helping female characters more then males, even if they know rule 29.

Jakub324:

Tohuvabohu:
While I don't prefer female characters, I almost always end up making one eventually. I find it much easier to disconnect myself from a female avatar.

When playing as a male avatar, I almost always project myself through them. Even if I make a middle aged heavily scarred black man, I still project my own personality into them and it can be difficult to do especially evil things. I keep thinking "What would I do?"

But when playing as a female, I feel much more disconnected from my avatar, and feels as if she is her own character who makes her own decisions. In this case, it's much easier for me to think "What would SHE do?"
Especially in the case of ME2. It felt much more natural being a femshep renegade. Once you become especially corrupt and evil looking, it is quite a frightening look on a femshep

I found the same thing playing Fallout. I felt pretty ashamed when I blew Megaton up as a bloke, but when I was a woman I was like; "BOOM! 500 caps heading my way!"

It's actually the other way around for me. I remember when I played the original KOTOR, I first played as a male going for light side, I tend to go light side/paragon/whatever they call it in my first play through. Then for my dark side run I made a female character and I couldn't bring myself to being a dick to people (or a cunt rather) so I had to make a male character for my dark side run.

I actually have no idea why it's so hard for me.

I often tend to play female if given the choice, the only reason I can really give is "because I feel like it". I've never seen anything weird about it, I thought it was more weird when a friend of mine commented on it, saying: "I'm a GIRL so of course I play GIRL characters!" and I'm just thinking: "It's a game so why should it matter?"

So I'm just gonna say:

Hi I'm M. Bergman a bloke who makes female characters.

#Chorus#: Hiii M. Bergman!

While it's true I'm not a woman it is also true that I am not augmented/not a space pilot/can't shoot fireballs/not a dwarf/not in anyway important to anything. For this reason I have no problems playing as a girl and do so whenever it feels right for my character/the game.

I take it as a psychological experiment in which i try to see what actions a female would take in certain situations. I'm not saying that all women are the same, but I feel like I get a different perspective on things when I play as a female.

I play female characters because i have Gender Identity Disorder and wish to have a sex-change. Simple as that.

When I play a game I dont create myself. Instead I create characters with certain back stories and personalities normally females because they generally have better customization options and I find ass kicking females attractive.

Because I can. Only reason I need to do something in a game.

Well, that, and every other game genre usually has you playing as a dude. Change is nice.

I never create female characters. I guess I'm a male chauvinist pig. Also, I just roleplay myself in varying universes, which probably isn't roleplaying at all. I don't create exagerratedly muscled male characters either though. Gears of War is awesome, but the character physiques are kind of fucking ridiculous. Still, there's something a bit weird about the average RPG-er's character, or so you'd think looking at the mods on TES nexus. Or any other modding site come to think of it. Seeing how quite a lot of the most popular mods in RPGs are erotically tinted, I'd argue that it doesn't have anything to do with distancing one's self from their character, but rather stems from being a bit of a sad wanker.

Why do people naturally assume I'm creating an avatar of MYSELF?
Sometimes I don't want three identical looking male characters and the female option is merely DIFFERENT.
It gets pretty boring to repeat the early parts (or late parts if that's where both characters are) in a game with an identical looking character, even one that plays differently. When they look different, it seems to double my fun time.

Specifically with Fallout, there's two choices at hand; Pure GOOD or pure EVIL. Usually when I'm being a good character, I roll a female character. I generally prefer to lean my decisions based on what my CHARACTER would do - or what I want my character doing.

What if I make a Samus character? It would be stupid to have a MALE Samus because Samus is female.

Usually if I have a character named Odbarc, I go for the ugliest character I can make and make all the bad/evil/wrong choices.

Also, people tend to be more giving with their resources towards a female avatar than a male one. And one that is pale skin versus dark skin. Studies were made.
Female's make male characters to avoid sexual harassment.

Because that way I can experience the entirety of the game instead of being stuck to a single perspective.

Also, I'm not necessarily roleplaying it.

As a general rule if you get to select your characters gender I usually go for female.

I guess my main reason for that is that in most games with an established protagonist the male characters are either muscled meatheads or engineered to be devilishly handsome and the female characters are usually portrayed as giant sex symbols.

In most character customisable games e.g. Mass Effect, Fable. Your character is not defined by their gender and there is little major difference between the two. I find it refreshing to be able to play a game where you can play as either gender and have the game play pretty much the same. To answer the original question I guess I usually play female characters because it's nice to be able to play a game where gender is not a factor.

In Fable they offer both male/female outfits for both characters. Mass Effect gives both Shepards the same sets of armour moulded for their physiques.

Because with every damn protagonist being some irritating bloke who I think is a dick, a female protagonist might offer some different game options/stop me wanting to throttle them/just be something different from the standard macho male bullshit.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 17 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked