Is pre-ordering really worth it?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

As I mentioned in my blog post here, I pre-ordered Arkham City Steelbook edition. This is my first ever pre-order and I'm pretty impressed with the look I got for my $100, but I'm wondering if all the time and effort is worth it?

Is having the game right on release date so super important? This question would be especially interesting since Skyrim comes out soon and while I have less-than-no interest in it, there are some people going into fanboy convulsions over it.

Depends on how much you value what you get.

I found the Catherine pre order to be great cause it meant it was there for me as a promise. its too bad I didnt pre order the love is over edition.

yes, not only are you garenteed to have a copy of the game, you usually get extra goodies and you dont pay anymore than you have to

I don't mind pre-ordering a game if I know that it will be good ( skyrim is an example) or if the pre order bonuses are cool.

But after I getting Halo reach I decided that any game that focuses on Multiplayer is worth the pre-order, multiplayer games are usually broken, very unbalanced and have very bad communities.

Pre-ordering is not worth it.

What does pre-ordering do? It "guarantees" you a copy of the game and maybe some in-game cosmetic items.
If you're pre-ordering from Gamestop, you're not guaranteed shit. They WILL sell your reserved copy if someone comes in and wants it before you get there. And yes, that happens on day-one releases, too.
Cosmetic items are complete bullshit. It's a marketing ploy and a retarded one at that.

Almost every game I've ever wanted on day-one has been in stock from where ever I bought it. The ONLY game that failed that was Dead Island, and that's because it's pretty SHIT on PC, which I found out the hard way.

Even if all you have to do it put down $5, it's still not worth it.

Unless you want to an edition of the game that will be in limited quantities, don't. You can always get those editions. You might have to wait a little while, but you can still always get it.

Yes, but only for a small handful of games.

Dragon Age 1&2 had plenty of great freebies that added to the game for pre-ordering. Be it in the form of Free DLC, or in game items.

I personally find that Collector Editions are a waste of money to pre-order simply due to the fact that the non-game content tends to just collect dust on a shelf after having been appreciated for a couple of minutes. By CE I mean the ones that tend to cost $20+ more than the game as is in order to get things like a pictures/figurines/maps/etc.

The only extra non-game content related addition that I personally like is when they give out the game's soundtrack. Instrumental music is among my favorite types and so I'd get a ton of use out of it...not to mention playing the better tracks during D&D sessions.

I will only really pre-order a game if I really want it or if I have the money to get the special edition.

It takes extra time and effort? Not sure I agree with that.

If you know for sure you're going to be buying the game anyway, you might as well pre-order it. Besides, you'll often get free stuff.

Another point to consider is that pre-ordering should guarantee you a copy of the game. Sure the store isn't going to run out of Modern Warfare 3, but if what you're talking about is a smaller niche title or even a special edition of a more mainstream title pre-ordering just might make the difference between getting it and not getting it at all. It's not uncommon for a store to only order enough copies of lesser known titles to cover their pre-orders plus maybe a couple extras.

I found no reason to, but then again I am on a tight budget.

Games today have a lot of DLC, so pre-ordering it means that you'll also need to buy the DLC as well, which may turn out to be ~100$ even if you didn't get the Collectors edition.

The bonuses aren't really worth it either. Rage has a new buggy skin and 3 weapons, my game wouldn't suffer because of the lack of them. Skyrim get's a bonus map, which while nice, I'll probably toss somewhere in a week.

So now, I prefer to buy games a month or two after release when their price drops, or an year later for the complete edition.

I think so because the game you want might get sold out, better safe than sorry. I've pre-order every game since I had to wait 2 weeks for red dead redemption. I don't care about the bonuses at all unless it's awesome.

I have been disappointed every time I've done a pre-order. Not worth it in my book. Between bugs, content cuts and DLC there just isn't any added value to pre-ordering, despite the sometimes higher price.

I guess if you're an achievment sniper and need to get your "First!" fix that way, it's a good thing.

I pre-order lots of games... if only because I have the money to pay for it now, when I may not later... or to thin out the herd that is holiday release spam. I don't care about the bonuses or exclusives, sometimes a Collectors Edition will get me, but mainly its just budgeting.

I find its rarely worth it. While I preorder blizzard and valve games its because you are certain of a good quality game (just preordered diablo III), most games however are hit or miss in quality and overpriced, see the recent space marine game. The only other games i preorder are the likes of Bastion which i played a bit of on another system and really enjoyed.
Normally I wait till steam sales, see if the game got good reviews/still popular if multiplayer and then buy it, saves a lot of time and money.

I worked as a manager at a Gamestop for several years. I have personally sold over one thousand preorders of video games.

There is exactly one question you should ask yourself when deciding whether or not you should preorder:

"Will I be buying this game anyway?"
Mass Effect, CoD, Skyrim, Diablo 3, Legend of Zelda, God of War, a title you have already convinced yourself that you must have, (and thus will be purchasing on launch day, anyway) by all means, preorder it.

Otherwise, no, save your money and wait for someone to have a physical copy of the game, so that they can tell you that
a) It actually functions
b) It is worth your money.

Radelaide:
As I mentioned in my blog post here, I pre-ordered Arkham City Steelbook edition. This is my first ever pre-order and I'm pretty impressed with the look I got for my $100, but I'm wondering if all the time and effort is worth it?

Is having the game right on release date so super important? This question would be especially interesting since Skyrim comes out soon and while I have less-than-no interest in it, there are some people going into fanboy convulsions over it.

It just depends. for example, I have Skyrim preordered for two reasons: The ACTUALLY limited edition Collector's Edition (it's literally limited... like, many gamestops and stuff have only a handful and people walk in, ask for it, and are turned away cause there's no more left. It's been estimated that only around 100,000 were produced) which is awesome cause I like the editions to the game (especially the making of DVD!), but also my friends and I are gonna go to the midnight party! And typically, for major games, on the day of release, if you don't have it preordered, you won't get a copy. In other words, the midnight party isn't much fun if you walk home without a game and all your friends have it.

For another example, Battlefield 3 is very much worth pre ordering. Not only do you get additional guns/equipment, you also get the first DLC (a 4-map map pack with some of the best levels from Battlefield 2 redone with the Frostbit Engine).

Otherwise, I've been finding out that there typically isn't a NEED for it... and in a lot of cases, I wouldn't have time to play the game anyways. I only play one single player game at a time and I try to not let myself play another game until I've beaten it. I'm only about 2/3's of the way through Deus Ex, and I REALLY want Resistance 3... but I don't want to get distracted from Deus Ex. So it just revolves around how excited you are for the game and the incentives involved.

9 out of 10 times I wouldn't think so. That one time it does matter is if there's a bit of exclusive DLC you want. Other than that you can always find the game you're looking for, if not in a shop, than online for the same or a (marginally) better price than you would find in any given retailer.

Radelaide:
I'm wondering if all the time and effort is worth it?

What time and effort? You walk in and pay a deposit a few weeks or months earlier and then walk in on release day and pick it up. How much simpler could it be?

Radelaide:

All the time and effort? You must be extremely lazy if you consider paying for a game so you can have a copy on release date hard work. Why do people make such a a big deal over preorders? Don't like it, don't do it. Some of us would like a copy guaranteed on release day and not have to wait in line.

I tend to pre order from Amazon, it's nice getting home from work, and there in the porch is a brand new game, waiting to be played. I see no point in going to game shops anymore, also there have been numerous occasions where cds and games have turned up a day or two before release, which is nice.

Well, firstly I like to pre-order because its mine and nobody can take it, such as the rare Catherine that is coming to Australia in October and there barely ant copies over here. And also its good fro per-ordering collectors Editions, you see, I love collecting collectors editions...I have a habit. X_X

Also I cant wait for GOW3 to be released over her in Aus because I'm getting the Retro Lancer Replica with it. Always wanted one of them.

So basicly pre-order is good for these reasons.

1. Getting a collectors Edition.
2. Making sure you gets the game (If it's so popular like Skyrim is it will be sold out of day one)
3. Lowing the price (Paying overtime)

I pre-order games to make sure that I am guaranteed a copy on launch day. Plus, I like the extra content that I get when I do pre-order.

Actually Im finding that preorders are astoundingly inconv. especially as it relates to non physical retail stores.

The big problem is, that be it amazon for a physical copy or true digital distribution platform like steam or origin, you cannot pre purchase titles. Typically your only allowed to put down the standard preorder amount, or they make it nigh on impossible to pay the bulk of the cost. Leaving an unprocessed charge to a credit card and a lingering possibility you might forget.

Beyond that, traditionally its illogical and not worth it because its either just in game items you can get either as a part of DLC or later as GOTY/GH rereleases, Or its a bunch of toys and trinkets, of which I would rather see the funds used for this junk allocated so that publishers would stop complaining about how used is taking all their money. Maybe, Just maybe, if they would stop goofing around with little nonsensical marketing games, they wouldnt have that problem.

EDIT: Other thought. I picked up a new video card this week.(Sweet deal btw)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130681

of which it is also granting a copy of Arkham city. Question its a steam code, and if that code gets entered before release, wouldnt that still essentially be a preorder?

SeanTheOriginal:

What does pre-ordering do? It "guarantees" you a copy of the game and maybe some in-game cosmetic items.
If you're pre-ordering from Gamestop, you're not guaranteed shit. They WILL sell your reserved copy if someone comes in and wants it before you get there. And yes, that happens on day-one releases, too.
Cosmetic items are complete bullshit. It's a marketing ploy and a retarded one at that.

Almost every game I've ever wanted on day-one has been in stock from where ever I bought it. The ONLY game that failed that was Dead Island, and that's because it's pretty SHIT on PC, which I found out the hard way.

Unless you want to an edition of the game that will be in limited quantities, don't. You can always get those editions. You might have to wait a little while, but you can still always get it.

Hey look, someones jaded at gamestop, WHAT A SHOCKER! Oh and btw, the gamestop near me even lets me extend how long they keep it for me due to pay issues. Why not just take your bias else where.

OT: Yes, pre ordering is awesome, extra goodies, guaranteed copy, going to a midnight launch is tons of fun. All great reasons. Also no excuse for you to not have the game.

For a minority of games, maybe.

For most games though I'd say no. Most of the stuff you get for a pre-order is worthless. Like I said there are a few decent ones but they are the exceptions rather than the rule in my opinion.

Also I don't like the way they push pre-ordering as some sort of way to guarantee you won't "miss out" - I don't know what it's like where other people live but the last game I had trouble getting hold of was GTA: San Andreas and what that was like, 2004? If you believed the retailers around here you would pre-order every game, they seem to think they are like gold dust or something. Not that I buy a lot of games from shops anymore.

SeanTheOriginal:

look i work at a gamestop and i can goddamn assure you that I make sure people who preorder their games actually get them... although one person I'm working with tend to sell to the highest bidder (wich i find excruciatingly annoying).

it's like pretty much everything in life there are douchebags and doofus(es?) everywhere but we mostly are nice guys...

or maybe its just cause my gamestop and myself are from canada...

Preordering special editions is stupid. Pre-ordering for the pre-order sale, though, isn't.

I say only pre-order special editions because there is limited stock. For regular games don't preorder . There is always stock and even if by misfortune the store you go too sold all it's copies ( which is rare if it's not a special edition ) there is always walmart.

Novokane:

look i work at a gamestop and i can goddamn assure you that I make sure people who preorder their games actually get them... although one person I'm working with tend to sell to the highest bidder (wich i find excruciatingly annoying).

it's like pretty much everything in life there are douchebags and doofus(es?) everywhere but we mostly are nice guys...

Not entirely true, Green bay Game stop is extremely nice, I preorder and if something comes up where i have to wait for next paycheck they still save it for me. I love my local gamestop and I know all the workers personally just from talking with them whenever I went in the shop.

MercurySteam:

Radelaide:

What time and effort? You walk in and pay a deposit a few weeks or months earlier and then walk in on release day and pick it up. How much simpler could it be?

I'm broke, it's lots of effort. :P

I seldom, seldom preorder anything.

I only do that if I am a rabid fan of said franchise, studio, etc, such as I've done with Skyrim, my first preorder in quite a while.

Other than that, it's Game of the Year Editions all day long for me.

I preorder pretty much anything I think I am going to get. Either for the preorder DLC, or the stuff the collectors edition comes with. It also means that if I know I won't have money when a game is going to come out, I can pay it off early and just pick it up then.

Pre-ordering is definitely worth it in my book. A lot of places like EB Games automatically upgrade you to limited editions for free, plus it allows me to pay it off over a long time. Also, at the moment EB gives you a 50% bonus on trade ins if they go towards a pre-order which suits me just fine.

Kingpopadopalus:

Novokane:

Not entirely true, Green bay Game stop is extremely nice, I preorder and if something comes up where i have to wait for next paycheck they still save it for me. I love my local gamestop and I know all the workers personally just from talking with them whenever I went in the shop.

Same here. The better one that I go to in the mall (because there are two in the same mall why not) in Johnson City NY hasn't done anything like that to dick me over. I still have the collectors edition of Disgaea that just came out on preorder and I just need to wait until after New York Comic Con to pay it off. They are really nice about that stuff there. It also does help that they know me and I worked there last year and might be working there again.

Kingpopadopalus:

Novokane:

There yo go you prove my point even more. It's not just in Canada then.

Thanks for the support bro.

MercurySteam:

Radelaide:

This. If you care enough to pre-order a game, you are going to get it regardless of reviews, anyway. Pre-ordering just insures that you get a copy Day 1 and it might net you some goodies.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked