I suck at Minecraft

Pages 1 2 NEXT

No no, not at the combat, or the exploring.
I have a nice stack of materials in my chests, and I know how to make the tools.

I just end up with a cube shaped house every single time.

I have no inspiration, or imagination, or skill perhaps, to build something neat.

Where do you get your ideas from, and can I totally steal them?

Em just go to youtube and look up some stuff there if you are that stuck.

I tend to use the environment as part of my buildings.

For instance, I'm currently building my main base in very thin mountain (about 20 squares wide one side).

It looks cool an feels rather cosy. I plan on tunneling downwards and building something around the base of the mountain which is surrounded by water. So something with a glass roof, because I love underwater building.

I try not to make a massive impact on the landscape. Something subtle.

MrSean:
What do I do?

This:
http://www.google.co.uk/imghp?q=mansion+floor+plans

That's a start, thanks!

Daystar Clarion:

For instance, I'm currently building my main base in very thin mountain (about 20 squares wide one side).

It looks cool an feels rather cosy. I plan on tunneling downwards and building something around the base of the mountain which is surrounded by water. So something with a glass roof, because I love underwater building.

I tried that once, ended up with a square house in the mountains.

I just want something else then square :(

Daystar Clarion:

You just gave me an awsome Idea .... hope I remember it when im gonna play :P

Ot: Just build something and you will finally end up with something.
I usually donīt have a plan when I start building, I just do. Often I just get fed up with what I built so I start on a new world.

1. Grow giant toadstool
2. Hollow out giant toadstool
3. Live in giant toadstool
4. ???
5. Profit!

I made a tower out of cobble and wood. The hight of it is from ocean level to almost hitting the clouds.
Oh, and it twists and trips out your mind :D
http://www.escapecraft.net/phpBB3/download/file.php?id=3153&mode=view
If you are sick of squares make something circular. use this as a guide.
http://images.wikia.com/mconstuct/images/e/e9/Basic_circular_tower_layouts.png
Try making a MC building based of your actual house, then add to it.
Try making something a bit odd shaped, not strictly a square, like make a rectangle then turn it into a T shape then add another story and one end and add fancy stairs. then add another room that is circular and has a glass roof. Add shapes together in your head, build it. Fill/decorate the insides, now you have a non-boring house!

I generally just dig a hole in the side of a hill and hollow out a 3 block high square.

Although I once made this really nice hobbit hole, it was really nice, it had a fireplace, multiple rooms, a neat little room for all my chests, a nice big window in the lounge and a kitchen.

Then I dug down, build a massive cavern, build a portal and coated the walls with netherack. That kind of ruined the atmosphere.

You could try checking the front page of MinecraftForum.net or their forum.

Many great ideas from there plus there is also tutorials.

I sometimes surf around there and suddenly gets and idea like building a castle, making an hidden door with pistons or one of my newer creations a big sphere in the sky as a base.

MrSean:
What do I do?

This:
http://www.google.co.uk/imghp?q=mansion+floor+plans

im not sure thats a good idea youll need a shit load of stones... not that fun to collect...

Daystar Clarion:

This. Everything will look less square and much cooler if you build it as part of the landscape, or decimate as little as possible. Some of my friends level a while mountain then build a little house on the flat, but building parts of it going up the side spreads it out more and makes it much more interesting.

Just use stairs and half-blocks where it looks good, but it *is* Minecraft so you have to expect some square-ness!

Don't feel ashamed to look on the internet for ideas and designs. I do it myself sometimes.

Well, at one point I made a giant stone tower out of smooth stone. I then made a long, giant dirt bridge going to a nether portal. That was boring and a waste of time. I then decided to make a mob trap. I dug a 7x7x5 pit, then replaced the dirt sides with glass, then hollowed out a 2-wide area around it to stare at them. Then, I got bored, so I made an area below it where I tested things. I didn't catch many mobs though... had about 5 spiders once though. So I decided to make a mob pit. I put water on one side of the pit, let it flow to the other, then made it go into a giant pit that I could enter to harvest them. It was pretty neat.

But I got distracted. I also end up building square houses most the time... getting the materials for anything too fancy is just too much of a giant pain I think.

It was the same with me when I started. What I do is build a single structure then add onto it everyday. On my world right now I started with a tower hat has a blue wool cap. Then I decided to build a wall connecting to another similar tower. Then I thought, fuck it, might as well build two more towers and build inside the four walls. Just need more sheep. It takes time but you will get there.

Daystar Clarion:

Subtle? Bah! My hollowed out volcano fortress spits upon your humble mountain home!
Not really though, I often start with something humble, then after a while I try to make crazy things that really serve no purpose but look cool

I made an office block with a central support of glowstone (taking about 8 hours in the nether...), but I dug right down to bedrock, and made a dorm for workers, industrial rooms like with ovens and crafting tables, a reception at ground level, office cubicles, a hotel, and then a penthouse suite for me to live in with all the redstone wonders i could think of... and then last night on a mate's creative server (normally a survival guy) I made an airship with viewing deck, propeller, and a first class cabin. on the survival side of things, i usually build into the coolest place i can find (lately in a waterfall cave), and build with the natural formations guiding the construction, until i find any inspiration later to make something else, or until a mate asks for help.
the inspirations for these came from:
reading about skyscrapers on the msn homepage (hence giant tower)
a youtube video with balloons made of wool, and Archer episode Skytanic
just seeing what was there and building out of neccessity

the last was probably the easiest to get inspired by, but if you see something on TV, the net or in a book that interests you, use that as a basic template and it can lead to something really impressive... alternatively, do what i initially did: build a skull, go in through the mouth, and build a glass temple underground that you can only enter through the base of the skull, following a pathway of tests of faith, and then have all the outside of the temple swimming in lava... always good for making you go insane building it, but loving the outcome

Daystar Clarion:

Use of environment is definitely the key here, although I don't always go for subtlety. Maybe a hill is begging for a medieval stone keep complete with wooden palisade. Perhaps a lake or bay is screaming for a jetty and an iron age roundhouse to be built on stilts just off the shore. Whatever it is though it has to fit with the surroundings.

I currently have a large expanse of floating pods. Hard work, but definately worth it once finished

Watch a few machinima top 5 minecraft creations. That usually gets my creative juiced going!

If not build somethign you love or have a great intrest in

This is pretty much my exact sentiments. I just can't seem to come up with anything too creative and end up building cube shaped houses.

I pretty much only play SMP Minecraft with friends these days, and my friends are much more creative than I am. So I leave the building to them. I'd say the biggest reason that I play Minecraft, is to explore. The satisfaction of exploring the world and discovering caves is what makes Minecraft to me.

Don't get me wrong, I love to build, but compared to the structures my friends come up with. I just feel like I get in the way. And sometimes I tend to lose focus, when I'd much rather be exploring. They usually come up with a really nice looking headquarters for us, and decorate the exteriors nicely.

But I am not entirely useless. I do take pride in my responsibility of being the one person who continuously endangers himself by screwing around in extremely dangerous caves under constant threat of creepers and zombies, all in order to bring back the materials my friends need to build their structures. My friends usually pop in to the caves I discover do their own exploring and gathering. But usually after I've spent a few days murdering zombies and skeletons and putting torches everywhere to give some semblance of safety.

Who finds the iron? Me.
Who finds the diamonds? Me.
Who gathers obsidian? Me.

It's nice to see what we can do when we combine our efforts.

I play on a sever with another friend, she is really good at making buildings, where I pride myself is infrastructure! I build long highways below the ground to connect the various towers, structures, and areas

Fitzcaraldo:
1. Grow giant toadstool
2. Hollow out giant toadstool
3. Live in giant toadstool
4. ???
5. Profit!

I had to quickly scroll down before I got sucked in by your avatar...

OT: I usually open up MSPaint and draw a pixel planning of something. Be it a skull shape into a mountain side with lava pouring from it's mouth or just a nice little mansion in the middle of the desert. This also helps with pixel art, just import .gif version of said picture and copy block by block.

Ranorak:
-snip-

*rubs hands*
Ask, and you shall receive, seriously, i got a line of good ideas for you.
Just ask away!

I have the same problem. 90% of everything I do ends up as a smooth stone rectangle, sometimes cube. I always want to make something impressive, but since I never plan much, my instinctual measurements end up square.

I have one building that's largely rounded... and I promptly gave it a square stone tower.

It does work much better if you incorporate a building into the landscape, or take the landscape's shape as inspiration.
Sometimes, just adding an irregular row of one different material can work wonders, too. Just last night I built a prison tower (at least for that the flat grey square behemoth has a point - bleak intimidation) and just had the broken stone brick floors of the cells extend to show up on the outside walls. Instantly broke up the huge grey monotony.
And it's on an island whose unaltered shape I took over. The square-fetishist in me had a great time dividing up the rooms :p

Never got into Minecraft

Ranorak:

You could play classic or creative mode and build stuff there.
That way, you can get good ideas for building, but without having to get a whole bunch of materials before-hand.

Or you could draw out your building ideas on grid paper or something. Whatever you like more.

You're not the only one with this problem:

http://www.nerfnow.com/comic/555

I usually watch other minecrafters like the Yogscast, EdidZP, surelog, and xxslyfoxhoundxx. Occasionally I look at games. There are a few times when I just start building random mansions and guard towers and such. Currently, I am building my dream mansion with 4 floors and just start adding in random things you'd see in a house. Just finished my pool table room.

I watch videos or view other bits of architecture that I want to recreate.

Here's my current project.

Thanks for the ideas guys.
They were helpful, but I found out a new issue.

Working alone is mind numbingly boring.

I know there is a escapist minecraft server.
How do you go about joining something like that?

What I tend to do is come up with awesome ideas for houses, but don't actually build anything because I can't be bothered to stare at cobblestone for hours.

I'm not really sure how I get ideas, just say "You know would be totally awesome?" and then whatever naturally occurs to you after that is a cool thing to build.

If I could be bothered to start building again, this what I would build:

I giant spherical underwater mansion, made entirely from glass.

A series of batcave style structure built inside the tips of a few mountains (in the middle of a mountain range) with bridges connecting them together, possibly made from glass.

A man made island in the middle of the sea, lit well, and so far from regular land that mobs pose no threat to me, and I cn just leave all my belongings and crafting stations underneath the shade of the torch clad trees.

A series of trees planted closely together, so that I could create a gigantic platform of leaves, and carve out my home. This is my "eco friendly, everything I do is renewable" plan.

If your looking for a good server then play on this one: play.minecraft.cc
It's fun and has a very nice community. Been playing on it for years :P

Ranorak:
No no, not at the combat, or the exploring.
I have a nice stack of materials in my chests, and I know how to make the tools.

I have no inspiration, or imagination, or skill perhaps, to build something neat.

Where do you get your ideas from, and can I totally steal them?

this is pretty much the same reason i got out of minecraft. i just built what was necessary like bunker, and then game over. i mean i enjoyed the exploration to an extend but it got old fast. of course this was way back in alpha

Gunpowder:
If your looking for a good server then play on this one: play.minecraft.cc
It's fun and has a very nice community. Been playing on it for years :P

Can I just hop on there?
Rules?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked