Gears of War 3 *MAJOR SPOILERS*

It's been awhile since i've posted here, but I felt like this needed a thread. Okay first off Spoiler Warning again. I've warned you. Okay, so when I was playing through co-op on Gears of War 3 in Act Three I believe you see Dom's Tragic Death scene. There are only a few moments in gaming that have really awe-struck me and this is one of them. I know its just a game and everything, but as much as I hate to admit it, I almost cried. It was such a dramatic and heroic way to go. Saving his team one last time and finally getting the end to all his cooped up pain from his lost wife Maria and their children. Did anyone else react similarly? What are some other epic scenes from games that awe-struck you?

Nothing will ever be as bad as Shadow of the Colossus, before you fight the last Colossus.

I almost shed a tear. It was odd playing the rest of the game without him, since he was a bit of a comic relief character.

YamSoldier:
Nothing will ever be as bad as Shadow of the Colossus, before you fight the last Colossus. You spend the entire game with just you and your horse, hunting down these big bastards and then it goes and sacrifices itself, saves you from falling down a ravine and COMES BACK, only suffering from a slight limp.

Poor poor aggro... atleast he lived to "horse around" another day :D

w9496:
I almost shed a tear. It was odd playing the rest of the game without him, since he was a bit of a comic relief character.

I thought that was Baird?

It made me cry thinking that I played these games with that Dom (Who my best friend played), mu best friend is going to be pissed.

(I wanna play SotC) :(

The scene in 'The Darkness' when your Mafia uncle executes your girl friend and the darkness demon thing makes you watch and she keeps saying its ok. That, that was a pretty heavy scene.

StormShaun:

w9496:

It made me cry thinking that I played these games with that Dom (Who my best friend played), mu best friend is going to be pissed.

I know Baird is, but I kind of viewed Dom as a secondary comic relief character since he has the occasional one-liner.

Dom was the heart of the team imo and after he died the tone got alot darker. Even when you where in the bright palace area it was still there.

w9496:

StormShaun:

w9496:

I know Baird is, but I kind of viewed Dom as a secondary comic relief character since he has the occasional one-liner.

Thats true, especially in the parts where Baird is gone.

I feel bad for saying this, but I was way more concerned about whether Carmine would survive. Dom's story arc in Gears of War 2 really touched me but in the third game it feels like he needed an out of his misery. I felt a sense of relief that he wouldn't be suffering and could be with his family again (which is probably a weird level of investment in a fictional character).

I was gutted when dom died. I was playing co-op with my friend and he already knew it was gonna happen and just laughed at me being awe-struck by it.

Not gonna lie, I laughed.

His last line was admittedly kinda touching, but I was left with the impression that someone had thrown a hairy steak into a frying pan and then expected me to get emotional about it.

His big sad scene in Gears 2 was better.

Not as close as crying, but it did leave a very bitter taste in my mouth because I really liked Dom as a character.

I had more of them "Oh God no" moments, but these were in all 'em Jap Visual Novels so I won't bore you with those. :D

I was just shocked at the moment. I didn't expect him to die, but when the shock went away (right after he died), I forgot about him.

The only experience that mad me actually sad was in Lost Odyssey, and anyone who's played it probably knows when that is.

I was shocked, yes. I didn't cry at all, but I was sad that he died.

Meanwhile, Carmine survived! YES! I was actually more concerned about whether he would make it through than the rest of the team combined. Baird was obnoxious, Cole was... Cole, Marcus's emotional range consists entirely of "angry", Sam was Baird in female form, and Anya was... well, OK, she had a bit of good characterization going on there but it wasn't a whole lot.

Carmine, on the other hand, seemed like a fairly decent fellow, though if Epic had given him more screen time I'm sure I could have grown to be as indifferent to his fate as the rest of the teams'.

The campaign was still pretty fun, though.

I can't say I was sad, because the entire series is filled with incredibly shallow characters with little to no real emotions. However, Dom was my favorite out of the bunch, so I suppose it did make me just a little bit sad when I saw him dying. And with a little bit sad, I really mean just a "huh. okay."

It wasn't a well done scene, it didn't really affect me in any way, but I believe that it was the best they could do with what they had, because what they had was incredibly little.

Zhukov:

His last line was admittedly kinda touching, but I was left with the impression that someone had thrown a hairy steak into a frying pan and then expected me to get emotional about it.

Pretty much this.

I was initially a bit shocked but then a question came to mind that entirely RUINED the scene for me.

Why the fuck did he not jump out of the fucking vehicle?

Seriously, cars don't decelerate all that fast without hitting the brakes, not even heavy ones (with all the weight behind them they maintain speed), and even then he probably could have weighed down the accelerator or jammed his shoe or a brick in there easily. He didn't need to die. His plan was fucking shit.

I'm hearing people say that it put him out of his misery. Bullshit, you saw that brunette character? That was his new girlfriend, he was totally fucking her. He wasn't stewing all that much at all.

Once you see all this it just feels like a desperate attempt to add drama.

Was a good moment. Don't believe the nay-sayers as the characters in Gears are very well done. If the plot gets silly at times (GIANT WORM!!1!). It did dip too noticeably into the "silly" department at the giant worm but the rest was very entertaining and fun to follow the story. Dom was the most emotionally invested in the whole thing, although the scene with Cole at the stadium was just as good, if not better constructed than Dom's death.

I mean you'll see a lot of the tragic sacrifice self to save the other main characters out of a character like Dom and although it was still well done, it wasn't as special as the Cole Train's scene. That scene was touching as well as unique. Football (Thrashball) player turned soldier and reflecting on the grand career he had being lost to the war? That was great AND unique.

Carmine picking up his helmet at the end made me feel more. After his brothers were brutally killed, he just kept going. Plus, he got to do this.

The best damn moment of the whole series. "Ah shit we're on fire!"

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked