The Final Fantasy X HD remaster and why it makes sense.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

(Let me preface this by saying that FFX is one of my absolute favorite games ever and, in my opinion, the best installment in the series)

Did you hear the news? FFX is getting remastered!

Que Youtube rants like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng92_85S26M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv8t0lQlT3E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJOwxQUtLeA

----------------------------------------------

I'm not in direct opposition to these opinions, but I think the whole thing has been overblown. Final Fantasy X was a brilliant game, a masterpiece--so was Final Fantasy VII. What I don't understand--and the rants touch on this a bit--is why SquareEnix doesn't just remake VII AND X instead of, I dunno, making sequals to FFXIII?

A few years ago they used a remastered intro of FFVII to show off the PS3's potential, and then pulled a bait and switch and said: "Well, actually, no, we're not doing this." I agree it's a swift kick in the junk if you're a fan, but you have to realize that Square WILL do it EVENTUALLY. Because obviously they'd make a profit, and I hear companies like profits.

But even if you're a fan of FFVII, please don't go out of your way to bash FFX just because it's not the game you wanted. While FFVII still retains a retro charm, FFX has aged very, very poorly, and deserves a remaster. It doesn't require nearly as much resources and time and effort, either.

Anyway, what do you guys think?

It aged poorly?

The only thing I could possibly think of in terms of bad aging are when characters speak without moving their mouths. Then again, I'm a massive fan of X, so I'm prone to bias there. I doubt I'll be getting the remaster though. I can't be bothered to try and beat Sinspawn Gui again.

Well, the villain does look like this:

Let's just say that gamers who haven't played it before won't be impressed.

StarStruckStrumpets:
It aged poorly?

The only thing I could possibly think of in terms of bad aging are when characters speak without moving their mouths. Then again, I'm a massive fan of X, so I'm prone to bias there. I doubt I'll be getting the remaster though. I can't be bothered to try and beat Sinspawn Gui again.

Eh, the animations have aged very poorly. For instance, compare LA Noire to FFX and you'll see what I mean. But that's unfair. I guess my point is: it's not so pretty anymore.

SecretNegative:

SPOILER ALERTZ.
Nah, I keed.

Unsung:

StarStruckStrumpets:
It aged poorly?

Eh, the animations have aged very poorly. For instance, compare LA Noire to FFX and you'll see what I mean. But that's unfair. I guess my point is: it's not so pretty anymore.

Ah, I see what you mean now. I do remember characters doing a 180 degree turn without moving their legs before walking in the opposite direction in cutscenes.

I really liked FF X. I really like the Final Fantasy series.
I won't be getting the remastered version unless it has serious graphical improvements not just cleaned up because I still own a copy of FF X and my PS2 still works.
My other issue is with Square Enix, I want them to finish a gods damned new game that they promised, like XIII Versus. Or maybe a new Final Fantasy that isn't trying to be a movie and resents the player for trying to play. Seriously, I actually fell asleep playing XIII.

I just wish that it will have an xbox360 port later.....

Aged badly? I think it looks better than the shitfest that was XII.

It really doesn't need remastered, this is a waste of time just to scrape a bit more money from diehard FF fans.

SecretNegative:

Wait...did they darken Seymour's hair this time around? That's a little odd.

So it's too expensive to remake Final Fantasy VII but not Final Fantasy X?

SecretNegative:

And that isn't even the worst part!
That chest/belly hair...*shudders*

I'm indifferent about FFX getting remastered. I've got my old FFX PS2 copy sitting on my shelf waiting to get played again (as well as FFX-2 that I'm not playing until right after I beat FFX for frivolous personal continuity reasons), so if I get the urge, I can give that a spin. I personally liked a good few elements of FFX, and it would be annoying to see a resurgence of FFX hate by people take my nostalgia down a peg, but that's life on the internet, it wouldn't bother me too much.

Crono1973:

They'd have to completely re-create all of VII - there's absolutely nothing they could salvage from the awful 1st generation PS1 engine.
Compared to that remastering a PS2 game is much less cost- and time-intensive.

OT: Just get the PC version with the unofficial graphic patch(es) if you want a decent looking VII. Not that hard, really.

I don't hate FFX, but it has kind of a silly plot and I find some of the characters are really annoying.

Then again, if they remade FFVII, the bad voice acting they would inevitably add would probably make me cringe.

I didn't like FFX at all. It was the first voice-acted FF, and the voice acting was excruciating. Just like XIII and everything in between. American voice acting- and I've got nothing against the people or the accent in day to day life- just instantly ruins anything it's involved with for me.

I don't care what they remake. I never finished FFX and I haven't played any of the further sequels. What I care about is the option to use the original, japanese voice actors with subtitles. This would render the game playable again.

We of course all realise what is implied by a 'remaster' right?

We're all aware of how in the past people have 'remastered' stuff like the God of War franchise and everything made by Team Ico.

They're not re-doing it from the ground up(which is obvious), they're unlikely to be doing anything to the animations, character models, cut-scenes, dialogue, base mechanics or mini-games...

They're just giving it a coating of HD gloss...

The best we can hope for is that everything doesn't come out looking freshly oiled like it did in the GoW HD remasters...

I'm not hoping for a Final Fantasy VII re-make any time soon and not because I don't like the games, not at all, FFVII was my introduction to the series as a kid and I hold some fond memories of playing it.

But I don't want it re-made, at least not like how everyone else wants it, which is to say, 'with juiced up graphics in HD'.

I'd be more than happy to see a cartoony-looking FFVII re-make, maybe with the same graphical style as Kingdom Hearts.

I don't believe any old school game needs a HD polish or photo-realistic touch up to appeal to people even more then they already do now...

So does it make sense to remaster X?

Not to me it doesn't.

Staskala:

Crono1973:

They'd have to completely re-create all of VII - there's absolutely nothing they could salvage from the awful 1st generation PS1 engine.

OT: Just get the PC version with the unofficial graphic patch(es) if you want a decent looking VII. Not that hard, really.

I might look into that, will it run on Windows 7 64-Bit?

I'd rather see VII remade as I've yet to play that (must be the only Final Fantasy fan who hasn't). And I always thought X was mediocre...

Staskala:

Crono1973:

You forgot Dirge of Cerberus. They could update the engine from that game to make an effective remake of FF7. Couldn't they? I don't know enough to be certain but I've seen more ambitious mod operations by fans. They normally don't get finished, granted, but that's because they don't have enough time, money, or volunteers but getting started means these things are possible.

Eh, X was good. It was by no means an embarrassment to the series(XIII and XII weren't either, btw, at least IMO.)

I will say that I was pissed when I first heard of the remake. I thought "Why not VII?!?", but as mentioned, X makes sense if Square-enix doesn't want to start from the ground up. Especially if they're doing this for some quick cash.

WouldYouKindly:

Staskala:

They'd have to completely re-create all of VII - there's absolutely nothing they could salvage from the awful 1st generation PS1 engine. Compared to that remastering a PS2 game is much less cost- and time-intensive.

You forgot Dirge of Cerberus. They could update the engine from that game to make an effective remake of FF7. Couldn't they? I don't know enough to be certain but I've seen more ambitious mod operations by fans. They normally don't get finished, granted, but that's because they don't have enough time, money, or volunteers but getting started means these things are possible.

Oh, right. I tend to not remember the VII spin-offs. Yeah, I guess that would make things much easier, even if they still had to rebuild the entire world. I'm not exactly an expert so I don't know how things really compare in numbers.
I actually think that a VII remake is not so much a technical issue - given SE's resources even restarting from scratch is no problem - but that they hold it back as some sort of last resort if the company's ever really in a ditch. At least that's what I'd do if I had a surefire way to make a couple of millions.

Staskala:

WouldYouKindly:

Staskala:

They'd have to completely re-create all of VII - there's absolutely nothing they could salvage from the awful 1st generation PS1 engine. Compared to that remastering a PS2 game is much less cost- and time-intensive.

Oh, right. I tend to not remember the VII spin-offs. Yeah, I guess that would make things much easier, even if they still had to rebuild the entire world. I'm not exactly an expert so I don't know how things really compare in numbers.
I actually think that a VII remake is not so much a technical issue - given SE's resources even restarting from scratch is no problem - but that they hold it back as some sort of last resort if the company's ever really in a ditch. At least that's what I'd do if I had a surefire way to make a couple of millions.

They'd been having issues until Deus Ex HR. That's put a lot more wind in their sails.

It's strange, I don't generally think any company would hold off on a sure money maker like FF7 remake. The thing is they have a window of opportunity. Right now there's a whole generation of gamers who love 7 as their first experience with a console RPG. If you wait too long, you'll lose the customers. Also, the longer it goes on the harder and more intensive it would be to update the engine.

You know, I think that people are misunderstanding whats really going on. It isnt a remake, its a port thats getting some freshening up. Hey! Want to know a game that was ported to a later system before this one? How about Final Fantasy 7, 8, and 9 were ported to the PSP.

And before that, Final Fantasies 1 through 6 were ported to all kinds of different systems. So, when people think that 7 is getting the shaft, I think that they really don't get it.

Heres to hoping FF12 gets ported over to the PS3/Vita too.

Why would they want to remake VII if they can release it on every handheld sony console ? Remaking game from 1997, on friggin DS would be a bother. But making it for PS3 ? In a climate when even new jRPG's are hardly ever relased in the west ? This will simply not happen.

FF X is up until today the worst piece of... a game I ever played. And I've played lots of games.

TheKasp:
FF X is up until today the worst piece of... a game I ever played. And I've played lots of games.

Meaning you havenīt played many games at all.
Also playing all the COD games doesn't count as "And I've played lots of games"

OT: Pretty much I donīt really care, since I have the original and a beast computer so I can use PCSX2 and HD the graphics on pretty much any PS2 game I want.

VincentX3:

OT: Pretty much I donīt really care, since I have the original and a beast computer so I can use PCSX2 and HD the graphics on pretty much any PS2 game I want.

But I may say that Ultima 3- online counts. And NWN, Baldurs Gate 1+2, nearly every big RPG since 2001, nearly every FPS without regen health since HalfLife, Warcraft 2 + 3, Starcraft 1 + 2, Diablo 1-2. Not to mention the ~200 indie games I have on my PC.

So please, take your stupid comment and shove it somewhere where the sun don't shine. I have more RPG gaming expirience as most of the people I know and the people I know are in all the P&P RPG groups where we play together. FF X was not only infuriating, it physically hurt me to watch this twat of a main character whenever he opened his mouth, the incompetence and shere stupidity of all the other characters, this stupid costumes and this obvious villian. Not to mention this really bad skill system. The combat system was kind of neat.

TheKasp:

VincentX3:

Long overcompensated quote

Yes yes classics, online games, indie games.

FF X was not only infuriating, it physically hurt me to watch this twat of a main character whenever he opened his mouth

Probably because he wasn't the stereotype "manly-man" almost all games MUST have these days.

this these stupid costumes and this obvious villian villain

I guess you didn't notice you were playing Final Fantasy? Tell me, when has a villain in a Final Fantasy game has been "almost" not obvious?

Not to mention this really bad skill system

Yea back then it was called creativity. Did you want a perk system?

The combat system was kind of neat.

Glad you liked something.

is it an HD re-release or a remake?
either one is understandable, but not getting the full story is going to suck FF X just can't work without FF X-2

VincentX3:

FF X was not only infuriating, it physically hurt me to watch this twat of a main character whenever he opened his mouth

Probably because he wasn't the stereotype "manly-man" almost all games MUST have these days.

I actually don't know what my problem was (and sorry for typos). It wasn't not for the reason you wrote but simply because he was not nearly as interesting as Yuna. It also did not help that he was an idiot who wasn't able to keep it for himself where he is from... and this goddamn "this is my story".

I don't know, I simply hate him.

GZGoten:
FF X just can't work without FF X-2

Um, yeah it can. FFX-2 watered down the experience of FFX for me. Not worth it at all.

Omnicide:
You know, I think that people are misunderstanding whats really going on. It isnt a remake, its a port thats getting some freshening up. Hey! Want to know a game that was ported to a later system before this one? How about Final Fantasy 7, 8, and 9 were ported to the PSP.

And before that, Final Fantasies 1 through 6 were ported to all kinds of different systems. So, when people think that 7 is getting the shaft, I think that they really don't get it.

Heres to hoping FF12 gets ported over to the PS3/Vita too.

I don't think you get it. Final Fantasy 7, 8 and 9 were ported, just as they were. Final Fantasy X is getting ported and remastered.

SecretNegative:

Is there something wrong with the way Seymour looks?

Unsung:
(Let me preface this by saying that FFX is one of my absolute favorite games ever and, in my opinion, the best installment in the series)

Did you hear the news? FFX is getting remastered!

Where did people get the idea this is a remaster? Its a full on remake in HD.

http://www.psu.com/Rumor--Final-Fantasy-X-HD-made-using-Final-Fantasy-XIII-engine---a013050-p0.php

Only the cutscenes and the backgrounds are remastered, everything else is remade from the ground up using the new engine.

SecretNegative:

The villain of VI looks like this

What, if anything, is your point?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked